win98 not enough memory-need help

We have a program that we have written in Delphi 7. The program works fine
on XP and 2000, but when we try to run it on 98 we get the errors below. We
have talked with delphi pros and we are not auto creating a lot of forms or
anything of that sort. We have a 98 system with 512 RAM and we have watched
the usage with a copy of the software that contains a few less data modules
and the usage is not even close to maximizing the system. The program size
is around 9.9 MB and we are just trying to open the main menu when we get the
errors below. Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL. Thank you for your time.

Amber

Error Messages:
There is not enough memory to start C:\Program Files ........
Quit some programs, and then try again

There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
programs, and then try again.

Delphi 7 BDE 5.11

Win 98 SE 512 RAM

Philo

"amber_michelle" <amber_michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a program that we have written in Delphi 7. The program works
fine
> on XP and 2000, but when we try to run it on 98 we get the errors below.
We
> have talked with delphi pros and we are not auto creating a lot of forms
or
> anything of that sort. We have a 98 system with 512 RAM and we have
watched
> the usage with a copy of the software that contains a few less data
modules
> and the usage is not even close to maximizing the system. The program
size
> is around 9.9 MB and we are just trying to open the main menu when we get
the
> errors below. Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL. Thank you for your
time.

> Amber
>

> Error Messages:
> There is not enough memory to start C:\Program Files ........
> Quit some programs, and then try again
>
> There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
> programs, and then try again.
>
> Delphi 7 BDE 5.11
>
> Win 98 SE 512 RAM

did you check the update notes...
could be a .dll problem

http://info.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeupdate.html

HAGGIS

"amber_michelle" <amber_michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a program that we have written in Delphi 7. The program works
> fine
> on XP and 2000, but when we try to run it on 98 we get the errors below.
> We
> have talked with delphi pros and we are not auto creating a lot of forms
> or
> anything of that sort. We have a 98 system with 512 RAM and we have
> watched
> the usage with a copy of the software that contains a few less data
> modules
> and the usage is not even close to maximizing the system. The program
> size
> is around 9.9 MB and we are just trying to open the main menu when we get
> the
> errors below. Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL. Thank you for your
> time.
>
> Amber
>

> Error Messages:
> There is not enough memory to start C:\Program Files ........
> Quit some programs, and then try again
>
> There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more
> programs, and then try again.
>
> Delphi 7 BDE 5.11
>
> Win 98 SE 512 RAM

so I assume this program is meant to be run in win98....(have talked with
delphi pros)

is there possibly a line or two needs to be added to config.sys or
autoexec.bat (like STACKS= ? or FILES= ? )

maybe it needs emm386 or the like for memory handling ....they did not
mention any special setup instructions for 98 ?

"Haggis" wrote:
> so I assume this program is meant to be run in win98....(have talked with
> delphi pros)
>
> is there possibly a line or two needs to be added to config.sys or
> autoexec.bat (like STACKS= ? or FILES= ? )
>
> maybe it needs emm386 or the like for memory handling ....they did not
> mention any special setup instructions for 98 ?
>
> Amber wrote:
The program should run on 98. It did run up until a few days ago. Then we
hit this problem. We actually had this problem with Delphi 3 and an earlier
version of our software. With our D3 product we found that if we remove a
few forms then it seemed to run fine. We ended up dynamically changing the
forms on the fly to reuse forms and thus keep it going on win98.

We did play around with Files and Stacks, but no luck. We tried to run
emm386, but that did not seem to want to run. So, we will look into that,
but we have had customers try this software on their 98 systems and they
encounter the same results. So we are still looking for a solution.

We also tried setting virtual memory started at letting Windows manage the
file with 5 GB free and 512 MB RAM. Other settings tried are 768 both min
and max
settings and also 3 GB min and max.

Thank you,
Amber

Windows out-of-memory errors occur when the system runs out of disk space.
This is because Windows uses disk space for temporary storage. Make sure
that there is ample free disk space on the drive that contains your swap
file. Make sure that you have not applied a maximum size to the swap file.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)