Looking for PCI-Express "8x" NVidia card

ctierney42

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Does anyone manufacture a PCI-E 8x Nvidia based video card?
I am not looking for the latest, 6xxx series is fine. My problem is
that it has to have an 8x connector, not 16x.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Are you talking about AGP or PCI-e? Because there's AGP 8x, but no PCI-e 8x, just 16x. SLI is two PCI-e 16x slots being run at 8x, but there's no difference in PCI-e connectors. Same goes with true 16x SLI.

Qwertyleo

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Does anyone manufacture a PCI-E 8x Nvidia based video card?
I am not looking for the latest, 6xxx series is fine. My problem is
that it has to have an 8x connector, not 16x.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig
most cards will just dial the bus down so x16 will become x8. Infact I would go as far to say all cards do.

ctierney42

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
The motherboard is a Intel SE7520BD2. It has 1 PCIe 8x slot. PCIe supports 1x,2x,4x,8x, and 16x. I bought a card and tried to install it before I learned that most all video cards have 16x slots (even if they perform at other rates).

The SLI PCIe cards (2 chips, one board) each run at 8x, but they still use
a 16x connector. I need the 8x connector.

You can put an 8x card in a 16x slot (I think), but you cannot put a 16x card in a 8x slot.

The motherboard does not have an AGP slot, just PCIe and PCIx.

Thanks,
Craig

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
i think you`re mistaking the agp 8x with the pci-express

any pci-express mobo is 16x compliant..unless is a sli or cross-fire ready and has two pci-express 8x (there are also 2x 16x)

well if you`re really looking for a pci-express card ...any pci-express video card can run with 16 lanes or 8 lanes in sli or crossfire set

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
ahhhh...........now where talking......you have to use a terminator card that came with the set....

insert the video card(16x) into a pci-express .....and then insert the terminator into the other pci-express slot.....

read the manual ...usually...there is a main pci-express 8x and a secondary pci-express slot also 8x when both are running......you`ll be able to obtain a 16 x slot if you insert the terminator card into the secondary slot...that way all 16`th lanes will be redirected to your primary slot......and here you go you got a pci-express 16x

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
just read this:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/se7520bd2/

read it carefully...it said there

" one PCI Express x8, one PCI Express x4 (physical connector is a x8 slot), one PCI-X 133MHz, two PCI-X 100MHz, one PCI 32-bit/33MHz 5V""

this changes everything we have said earlier........

this board is not build for sli or crossfire set-up

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
our friend has ..ati rage ..on board...anyway ...what`s the whole ideea anyway..this mobo is quite a strange choice expecially for a gaming or multimedia machine..that`s a server board..and those pci slots are build for expansion slots other that video cards.........
i must admit we all though it`s a sli set...but not the case.....

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
agree...sli can be achieved software too.......i`ve sold nvidia cards sli compliant but without sli connector........

uh...our poor little friend wants only one god damn card not 2.. :D

ctierney42

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
So my slot is PCIe 8x, not 16x. I don't want to run SLI, I was just using that as an example to point out that there are current video cards run at 8x, not just 16x. There is nothing in the chip design that precludes using an 8x connector for non-SLI.

If I were building a gaming machine and paying for it, I would not have selected this stuff, but you can't beat free. I am not looking to build a
high-end gaming machine. I want a Nvidia card so that I can do some high end graphics and play with general purpose programming. A 6600GT would meet my needs.

I keep saying Nvidia because the box is running linux and their drivers are better.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Craig

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
what looks strange is that pci-e 8x .. you won`t be able to stick a pci-e 16x ....... so you have to bust that open ......... i wonder .. electrically ........ you know what i mean.... will it still work.....

anybady has an electrical footprint of the pci-e? .....this could be interesting..........
this could be a really good piece of engineering..

hold on i see the easter bunny with my eggs....i gotta run boys

alpha754293

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Sorry for bringing this topic back up.

I was searching for something similar as well because I am planning/hoping to get a system that only has two PCIe x8 slots, and I am hoping to use it as a gaming system initially just mostly for a "proof of concept"; then it will be rolled into production as a server/mini-data center controller.

How is the Intel board "strange"?

I am pretty sure that the original poster probably has the issue/problem resolved already; but just as a FYI, I did find this though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161017

PCIe x1 ATi Radeon X1300. :D

ctierney42

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
The intel board has a 8x and 1x PCIe slot. My budget has prevented me from going forward with a video card (just acting as a server now).

Some manufacturers (can't remember them offhand) do sell an 8x version using NVIDIA, but they are the professional edition version, not the
gaming version (too arbitarily expensive.

The 1x ATI isn't a good option. First, its ATI. Until they get their head out of the sand and produce a good linux driver for their gaming cards, I'm not going to buy their stuff. Second, I wanted to use this for gaming and for programming. The 1x isn't going to provide the bandwdith I need for GPGPU activities. IIRC, all of the video cards today only use 8x internally, they just have a 16x connector. It is possible the latest high-end cards use all 16x, but I wasn't going to buy one of those.

If and when I ever get to this project, I am going to use a PCIe adaptor that allows the use of a 16x card in an 8x slot. I talked with the vendor and they said this is exactly why they built the adaptor in the first place.

Thanks,
Craig

alpha754293

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I was reading somewhere else (or it might have been on this thread) that PCIe x8 adapters for x16 cards are fairly expensive (340.00 EUR or at the time of posting, about 413.00 USD).

That's what I remember reading.

While you're probably right that the PCIe x1 doesn't offer much in the way of bandwidth; it's cheaper than going with an adapter and also the video card of choice.

I know that for my Solaris systems, they have ported the drivers from Linux using the XFree86 porting kit and it works fine. (I don't game with it, so I won't know what that's like.)

May I ask why it is that you choose that board as the platform for building your system?

If you intended to game; I would have thought that you would have looked in/thought about your options (or in this case, lack of options) for video cards.

It might be possible for you to use that card, and game in Linux using Cedega.

While you are probably right that ATi graphics cards aren't as good as nVidia (I don't know, because most of the stuff that I deal/work with is 3DLabs), I would think that the only reason why it is the specific combination of programming and gaming is that you're writing games.

In which case; if you're doing the graphics development; I would have figured that you would use a professional graphics solution (like 3DLabs) for the development work; compiled, and then running the game itself on another system that is design with that purpose in mind.

Else; you're either stuck with the limitations in terms of meeting performance criteria with the system that you have, where compromises have to be made on the development front and on the gaming front, or that attempts to try and satisfy both requirements becomes a lot more expensive than it has to be.

I am also presuming that GPGPU is referring to general purpose graphics processing unit. If that's the case, isn't that a PCIe x1 has more bandwidth than an AGP4X and also possibly AGP8X?

ctierney42

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I don't game much. The only game I play is WoW (and even now I have stopped that), but I did want to try it out on my dual 3.8 GHz Xeon system.

Why that system? Sure, with AMD multi-core out and now Duo Core 2 available there are some very competitive systems out there that would
be much easier to support. It came down to cost. I won the motherboard, CPUs, and a couple 500GB disks at a trade show. I had a suspicion I should have just put the stuff on ebay when I had the chance. Oh well. On a per core basis, they are still pretty fast.

However, after buying ECC memory, cases and power-supplies that support dual-socket motherboards, this has been the most expensive free stuff I have ever received. I still need to replace the CPU fans as they are unbearably loud.

This company http://www.adexelec.com/pciexp.htm, sells PCIe lane converters. In particular, the PEXP16-SX-16/8, should do what I want.

They quoted me $25 for a single piece.

Craig

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I believe all wusy's talking about is talking something like Dremel and cutting a slot in the back-end of the PCI-E slot so a normal PCI-E graphics cards will fit in it.