Is there a better Windows 98 driver for an optical USB mou..

I just bought a cheap optical mouse that didn't come with a driver.
When I plugged it into the USB port, Windows installed a "HID-compliant
mouse" driver, dated 4-23-1999.

I don't like this driver. I can't figure out how to set the tracking
speed of the pointer, and it is much too slow for my tastes. The Mouse
control in the Control Panel does not seem to control this mouse.
Actually, if I change double click speed, it seems to affect the mouse,
but pointer speed adjustments have no effect. It seems to have just the
one speed!

I desperately want the pointer to move further for each inch I move the
mouse. Is there an updated HID-compliant mouse driver I can download
that will let me adjust this? Or is there a generic optical mouse
driver of some sort? My mouse is made in China and the name on the
mouse is MD Tech, but I can't find any website for them.

I use Win 98 SE.

Thanks for any ideas.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows driver optical

    Just a word of advice "You get what you pay for *usually*" Hopefully,
    someone can help you solve your problem. Have a nice day. BTW, you did
    Google it right -- www.google.com

    :
    : I don't like this driver. I can't figure out how to set the tracking
    : speed of the pointer, and it is much too slow for my tastes. The Mouse
    : control in the Control Panel does not seem to control this mouse.
    : Actually, if I change double click speed, it seems to affect the mouse,
    : but pointer speed adjustments have no effect. It seems to have just the
    : one speed!
    :
    : I desperately want the pointer to move further for each inch I move the
    : mouse. Is there an updated HID-compliant mouse driver I can download
    : that will let me adjust this? Or is there a generic optical mouse
    : driver of some sort? My mouse is made in China and the name on the
    : mouse is MD Tech, but I can't find any website for them.
    :
    : I use Win 98 SE.
    :
    : Thanks for any ideas.
    :

    <arvo@goggo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I just bought a cheap optical mouse that didn't come with a driver.
    > When I plugged it into the USB port, Windows installed a "HID-compliant
    > mouse" driver, dated 4-23-1999.
    >
    > I don't like this driver. I can't figure out how to set the tracking
    > speed of the pointer, and it is much too slow for my tastes. The Mouse
    > control in the Control Panel does not seem to control this mouse.
    > Actually, if I change double click speed, it seems to affect the mouse,
    > but pointer speed adjustments have no effect. It seems to have just the
    > one speed!
    >
    > I desperately want the pointer to move further for each inch I move the
    > mouse. Is there an updated HID-compliant mouse driver I can download
    > that will let me adjust this? Or is there a generic optical mouse
    > driver of some sort? My mouse is made in China and the name on the
    > mouse is MD Tech, but I can't find any website for them.
    >
    > I use Win 98 SE.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.

    they all act a little different ...the settings you are looking for are in
    control panel > mouse>pointer options (speed up/down , double click rate
    and the like)

    Could the user actually want another software driver with more features?

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    :
    : <arvo@goggo.com.au> wrote in message
    : news:1109702097.257121.314650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    : >I just bought a cheap optical mouse that didn't come with a driver.
    : > When I plugged it into the USB port, Windows installed a "HID-compliant
    : > mouse" driver, dated 4-23-1999.
    : >
[...]

    Drivers *are* software that drives hardware (usually, but not always.)
    You probably meant to say "hardware driver". If the Windows default
    drivers don't work well, and the device isn't even supported decently by
    the maker, all I could suggest would be to *try* Logitech's drivers. A
    very long shot, that.

    On the other hand, the problem might not be mouse drivers, per se. The
    problem might have more to do with the USB drivers and hardware.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > Could the user actually want another software driver with more
    features?

    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > :
    > : <arvo@goggo.com.au> wrote in message
    > : news:1109702097.257121.314650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > : >I just bought a cheap optical mouse that didn't come with a driver.
    > : > When I plugged it into the USB port, Windows installed a
    "HID-compliant
    > : > mouse" driver, dated 4-23-1999.
    > : >
    > : > I don't like this driver. I can't figure out how to set the
    tracking
    > : > speed of the pointer, and it is much too slow for my tastes. The
    Mouse
    > : > control in the Control Panel does not seem to control this mouse.
    > : > Actually, if I change double click speed, it seems to affect the
    mouse,
    > : > but pointer speed adjustments have no effect. It seems to have
    just the
    > : > one speed!
    > : >
    > : > I desperately want the pointer to move further for each inch I
    move the
    > : > mouse. Is there an updated HID-compliant mouse driver I can
    download
    > : > that will let me adjust this? Or is there a generic optical mouse
    > : > driver of some sort? My mouse is made in China and the name on the
    > : > mouse is MD Tech, but I can't find any website for them.
    > : >
    > : > I use Win 98 SE.
    > : >
    > : > Thanks for any ideas.
    > : >
    > :
    > : they all act a little different ...the settings you are looking for
    are in
    > : control panel > mouse>pointer options (speed up/down , double click
    rate
    > : and the like)
    > :
    > :

    Thanks for the correction. It is late Gary and I did mean to say hardware
    driver. :> What are the exceptions to the rule of drivers not being
    software that drives hardware? Thanks in advance for your help and
    information, Gary. It is greatly and highly appreciated and respected.

    : Drivers *are* software that drives hardware (usually, but not always.)
    : You probably meant to say "hardware driver". If the Windows default
    : drivers don't work well, and the device isn't even supported decently by
    : the maker, all I could suggest would be to *try* Logitech's drivers. A
    : very long shot, that.
    :
    : On the other hand, the problem might not be mouse drivers, per se. The
    : problem might have more to do with the USB drivers and hardware.
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:uEchFuvHFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : > Could the user actually want another software driver with more
    : features?
    : >
    : > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > news:es$t7zpHFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > :
    : > : <arvo@goggo.com.au> wrote in message
    : > : news:1109702097.257121.314650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    : > : >I just bought a cheap optical mouse that didn't come with a driver.
    : > : > When I plugged it into the USB port, Windows installed a
    : "HID-compliant
    : > : > mouse" driver, dated 4-23-1999.
    : > : >
[...]

    Norton, for example, has "drivers" that may or may not actually drive
    hardware.

    --

> [...]
    > : move the
    > : > : > mouse. Is there an updated HID-compliant mouse driver I can
    > : download
    > : > : > that will let me adjust this? Or is there a generic optical
    mouse
    > : > : > driver of some sort? My mouse is made in China and the name on
    the
    > : > : > mouse is MD Tech, but I can't find any website for them.
    > : > : >
    > : > : > I use Win 98 SE.
    > : > : >
    > : > : > Thanks for any ideas.
    > : > : >
    > : > :
    > : > : they all act a little different ...the settings you are looking
    for
    > : are in
    > : > : control panel > mouse>pointer options (speed up/down , double

Windows 98 Mice Pointer USB Windows