I'm facing problems with the instalation of the Windows 98

I have a clone with the next characteristics: Board AT SIS 5595 , Pentium III
of 366MHZ New HD of 30GB, 64MB of SDRAM, AMIBIOS System v.1.2.0 and I bought
the PC at 1998.
I made a new and unique primary and active partition of the total HD as
FAT32 through FDISK. Then I formatted the HD and everything has been ok
according the scadisk result. Anyway when I'm Installing Win98 SE English
version. During the step calls: of the Installation I got the next error
message:
Setup has detected a Corrupt Setup (.cab) file This may be caused by a
virus, low conventional memory, bad media or a hardware problem.
May you let me know what that error means? Is that error about Physical
Memory Problems, something about the HD or with the Processor?

May you support to me and help to me about it please?
3 answers Last reply
More about facing problems instalation windows

    Have you done a format of Windows and are doing a clean install or are you
    just over-installing which I do not suggest and tends to cause stability
    problems in the future? Also, have you backed up your important data?

    :
    : May you support to me and help to me about it please?
    :

    The message is saying that :
    You might have a virus Run a thorough virus check
    You may have insufficient conventional memory. Use a reputable boot disk,
    such as one created using a utility from www.bootdisk.com, to ensure that
    you are not consuming an excessive amount of conventional memory.
    You may have a media or hardware problem. Try a different installation CD.
    Try a different CD drive. Try copying the installation CD to the hard
    drive, and starting the install from the hard drive copy of the installation
    files.
    You may have a different hardware problem. Download some hardware
    diagnostics and run them for an extended period.

    Why are you re-installing Windows? Are you quite sure you have fixed
    whatever problem caused you to reinstall Windows?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Rosas, Socorro del Carmen" <Rosas, Socorro del
    Carmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a clone with the next characteristics: Board AT SIS 5595 , Pentium
    >III
    > of 366MHZ New HD of 30GB, 64MB of SDRAM, AMIBIOS System v.1.2.0 and I
    > bought
    > the PC at 1998.
    > I made a new and unique primary and active partition of the total HD as
    > FAT32 through FDISK. Then I formatted the HD and everything has been ok
    > according the scadisk result. Anyway when I'm Installing Win98 SE English
    > version. During the step calls: of the Installation I got the next error
    > message:
    > Setup has detected a Corrupt Setup (.cab) file This may be caused by a
    > virus, low conventional memory, bad media or a hardware problem.
    > May you let me know what that error means? Is that error about Physical
    > Memory Problems, something about the HD or with the Processor?
    >
    > May you support to me and help to me about it please?

    http://www.hexff.com/index.html How to Clean Install
    This first has it all, but..
    (a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
    (b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
    (c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
    available to install afterwards.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
    How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

    "Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
    hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
    drive, but "hexff" says it better.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
    "SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

    Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
    Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
    letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
    normal.)

    Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
    capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
    requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
    version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
    earlier CD.

    FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
    OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

    UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
    existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
    one is not installed.

    WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
    drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

    OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
    be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
    found on a retail CD.

    Be sure of your ProductKey...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

    (1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
    (2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
    "Windows".
    (3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
    (4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

    That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
    down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
    or CD case.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Rosas, Socorro del Carmen" <Rosas, Socorro del
    Carmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have a clone with the next characteristics: Board AT SIS 5595 ,
    Pentium III
    | of 366MHZ New HD of 30GB, 64MB of SDRAM, AMIBIOS System v.1.2.0 and I
    bought
    | the PC at 1998.
    | I made a new and unique primary and active partition of the total HD
    as
    | FAT32 through FDISK. Then I formatted the HD and everything has been
    ok
    | according the scadisk result. Anyway when I'm Installing Win98 SE
    English
    | version. During the step calls: of the Installation I got the next
    error
    | message:
    | Setup has detected a Corrupt Setup (.cab) file This may be caused by a
    | virus, low conventional memory, bad media or a hardware problem.
    | May you let me know what that error means? Is that error about
    Physical
    | Memory Problems, something about the HD or with the Processor?
    |
    | May you support to me and help to me about it please?

Windows 98 HD Windows