Radio@Netscape ActiveX

I have Radio@Netscape installed as a choice install with Netscape
7.2 but it can also be installed independently regardless of ones
browser.

http://radio.netscape.com/radio/radiosell2.html

Ok now here's what happens:
First off I have IE6 set to alert me when a script tries to
access an ActiveX control. (Tools - Options - Security - Custom
Level.. and put a check to PROMPT "Script ActiveX Controls Marked
Safe for Scripting".

When I run the Radio, I see an alert window open that says
"Internet Explorer" in that top bar and in the window it says:

"A script is accessing some software (an ActiveX control)
on this page which has been marked safe for scripting.
Do you want to allow this?"

I actually trust that site and allow it so it will work. This
happens whether I load the Radio from the Netscape Radio button
or I load the installed Radio with all browsers closed or even if
I change my default browser to something other than Netscape.

Is that an IE window being forced to open?
Is it actually a Windows98 thing happening and IE intercepts it?
Is it a Netscape ActiveX control and if so, why does the alert
say Internet
Explorer(http://web.archive.org/web/20031215154156/http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/windows-media-in-netscape/)

Is it a plug-in that uses IE's activeX and unless turned off in
Netscape, one is vulnerable to IE activeX?

--Thanks

C wrote:
> I have Radio@Netscape installed as a choice install with Netscape
> 7.2 but it can also be installed independently regardless of ones
> browser.
>
> http://radio.netscape.com/radio/radiosell2.html
>
> Ok now here's what happens:
> First off I have IE6 set to alert me when a script tries to
> access an ActiveX control. (Tools - Options - Security - Custom
> Level.. and put a check to PROMPT "Script ActiveX Controls Marked
> Safe for Scripting".
>
> When I run the Radio, I see an alert window open that says
> "Internet Explorer" in that top bar and in the window it says:
>
> "A script is accessing some software (an ActiveX control)
> on this page which has been marked safe for scripting.
> Do you want to allow this?"
>
> I actually trust that site and allow it so it will work. This
> happens whether I load the Radio from the Netscape Radio button
> or I load the installed Radio with all browsers closed or even if
> I change my default browser to something other than Netscape.
>
> Is that an IE window being forced to open?
> Is it actually a Windows98 thing happening and IE intercepts it?
> Is it a Netscape ActiveX control and if so, why does the alert
> say Internet
> Explorer(http://web.archive.org/web/20031215154156/http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/windows-media-in-netscape/)
>
> Is it a plug-in that uses IE's activeX and unless turned off in
> Netscape, one is vulnerable to IE activeX?
>
> --Thanks

Never mind.. I have consulted with the Exalted Mystic Ruler and
have found what I was looking for. This is, after all, a
Microsoft board so I guess the mere mention of Netscape brings
panic to a Microsoft Lackey even when the real topic is
Microsoft's ActiveX.

TRENDING THREADS