Strange Win98 Problem

I have a very strange problem! While on the Internet, I did a SEND TO to put
a shortcut on my Desktop for a website that I had been viewing. I noticed
later that the name of this shortcut, as it appeared on the Desktop, was
extremely long (however, the URL that it pointed to was of normal length). I
tried to do a RIGHT CLICK & DELETE on it, and I also tried to CLICK & DRAG it
to the RECYCLE BIN, but Windows wouldn't permit either of these delete
attempts. All I got was an error message that I cannot delete nor move this
shortcut because its name is too long and that I should change it to a
different name. Taking the hint (?), I then tried to shorten its name using
RIGHT CLICK & RENAME, but Windows wouldn't allow this either, again saying
the name was still too long (despite my attempts to rename the shortcut to
just a SINGLE character name!) This is all very odd. I've never encountered
anything quite like this before. I basically can't do anything to delete or
rename this Desktop shortcut, nor to move it off the Desktop. I can only move
it around the Desktop, or run it. Would anyone be able to tell me, please,
how I might be able to permanently delete this shortcut?

Tx ... Murphil
5 answers Last reply
More about strange win98 problem

    Jot down the first six letters of the shortcut name. Then go to
    Start>Run box, type in command, <Enter>.

    If the prompt isn't already at C:\Windows\Desktop>, then do the
    following, pressing <Enter> at the end of each line:

    cd \
    cd windows
    cd desktop

    (there's a space after cd in each of those commands.)

    Once you're at the C:\Windows\Desktop> prompt, do this:

    dir xxxxxx*

    where xxxxxx is the first six characters in the name of the shortcut.
    You should get a file named:

    xxxxxx~1.URL

    If that doesn't show up, then you probably have separate user profiles.
    In that case, do this:

    cd ..
    cd profiles
    cd {YourUserName}
    cd desktop

    Then try the DIR command again. Once you are certain you see the correct
    file, then do this:

    del xxxxxx~1.URL

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Murphil" <Murphil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a very strange problem! While on the Internet, I did a SEND TO
    to put
    > a shortcut on my Desktop for a website that I had been viewing. I
    noticed
    > later that the name of this shortcut, as it appeared on the Desktop,
    was
    > extremely long (however, the URL that it pointed to was of normal
    length). I
    > tried to do a RIGHT CLICK & DELETE on it, and I also tried to CLICK &
    DRAG it
    > to the RECYCLE BIN, but Windows wouldn't permit either of these delete
    > attempts. All I got was an error message that I cannot delete nor move
    this
    > shortcut because its name is too long and that I should change it to a
    > different name. Taking the hint (?), I then tried to shorten its name
    using
    > RIGHT CLICK & RENAME, but Windows wouldn't allow this either, again
    saying
    > the name was still too long (despite my attempts to rename the
    shortcut to
    > just a SINGLE character name!) This is all very odd. I've never
    encountered
    > anything quite like this before. I basically can't do anything to
    delete or
    > rename this Desktop shortcut, nor to move it off the Desktop. I can
    only move
    > it around the Desktop, or run it. Would anyone be able to tell me,
    please,
    > how I might be able to permanently delete this shortcut?
    >
    > Tx ... Murphil

    Wow, you are burning the midnight oil too, Gary. I actually got up after a
    few (2) hours of sleep and currently my pumpkin pie is cooling, then I will
    have a small slice and it is off to bed for me for a few (3-5) hours more of
    sleep. -- :>

    I do best with 7 hours but will tolerate as little as 3 hours as long as it
    is not a pattern -- grinning and bearing it <no offense Robear -- just a
    joke -- you can make one of me if you want.>

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
[...]
    : >
    : > Tx ... Murphil
    :

    For at least a week, now, I've been going to bed in the late morning
    (after 9 am) and getting up in the afternoon. "Last night" I went to bed
    early--around 7am. I've been writing a lot of script and juggling a new
    database for our business.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > Wow, you are burning the midnight oil too, Gary. I actually got up
    after a
    > few (2) hours of sleep and currently my pumpkin pie is cooling, then I
    will
    > have a small slice and it is off to bed for me for a few (3-5) hours
    more of
    > sleep. -- :>

    Wow, you certainly are busy. Fridays are my Sabbath day to relax, recharge
    and rejuvinate as well as Sunday off from work for church stuff. I usually
    work Saturdays at Target Corporation. Anyway, great problems at my store in
    Tucson, Arizona on Friday and they called me at 9am to see if I could come in
    to work to put out fires (help solve their problems) and other stuff. I
    smartly refused -- had a great time on Mt. Lemon at a wonderful cafe called
    the Mount Lemon Cafe that serves delicious home made pies at an elevation of
    about 8,000-9,000 feet above sea level. Next, I went to a friends 23rd
    birthday party named Cody and we went to a steakhouse. The dinner rocked and
    I had two glasses of Francis Ford Coppola wine and I was very happy and
    pleased with myself. I gave the restaurant a good tip as well as providing
    some personnel information in exchange for me being on their VIP (Very
    Important Person) list and being on their mailing list to get discount
    coupons. It is a brand new restaurant called Flemmings that has excellent
    prime steak. Anyway, I can hardly believe that it is already March. Whew,
    time sure does fly when you are having fun. BTW, I talked to Microsoft on
    Saturday and the technical support guy that I talked to told me how the
    janitor called him at 4am to ask him to come into work --- needless to say he
    was ticked and told the janitor never to call him that early again and I
    thought I had it bad by being disturbed at 9am on my day off!

    LOL!!

[...]

    Yes, INDEED, contact them, & give them a piece of my mind! No! Make it
    my gall bladder!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | PCR, do you need me to contact Macromedia to get them to change.
    :> -- I am
    | on the warpath and want companies to meet consumer's needs as well as
    meeting
    | business's needs and finally the government's needs also.

    | : He said his was an URL he downloaded. Scandisk could possibly do it
    too.
    | : But I don't quite recall whether it gives an option to delete, or
    just
    | : to "fix". I have two Macromedia files or folders that always get
    flagged
    | : by Scandisk. Once, I asked it to fix them, but it only moved them up
    | : higher in the folder tree. Next time Macromedia Flash ran, it put
    both
    | : back where they were before! I HATE those two! Now, I just ignore
    them.
    | : Ah, here they are...
    | :
    | : The
    C:\WINDOWS\APPLIC~1\MACROM~1\FLASHP~1\MACROM~1.COM\SUPPORT\FLASHP~1
    | : folder could not be opened in MS-DOS mode because its complete short
    | : name
    | : was longer than 66 characters.
    | : Resolution: Ignore this error and continue
    | : Results: Error was corrected as specified above.
    | :
    | : The
    | :
    C:\WINDOWS\APPLIC~1\MACROM~1\FLASHP~1\MACROM~1.COM\SUPPORT\FLASHP~1\SYS
    | : folder could not be opened in MS-DOS mode because its complete short
    | : name
    | : was longer than 66 characters.
    | : Resolution: Ignore this error and continue
    | : Results: Error was corrected as specified above.
    ....snip

Desktops Windows