PC 100 &133 more stable than PC800?

shogunboy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Ok, when I was 13, I got an AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz with PC 100 memory stick (3x-128MB), it had lag, but it didn't even have one BSOD in the time I owned it. After a year I traded the 1.2 for 1.4 ghz, the system had PC 133 (2x-256MB), and that computer only had one BSOD before it died on October 15, 2005. After a week, I got my mom's Intel Celeron 1.7 ghz with PC 800 from Samsung (2x-256MB), it was fine for 5 months. In April 11, 2006, it started to have 3 BSOD. I updated the BIOS, but then two days later, I had two BSOD when I was playing a game with Creative Mediaplayer on. When spring break was over, I had almost 8 BSOD in a week, and I had one BSOD for just playing a game. Do you people think that PC 100 and 133 are much most stable than PC 800? I think my PC 100 and 133 are stable, even though I used similar programs for the PC 800 that the Pc 100 133 experensed.

weilin

Distinguished
Well, PC800 i believe was Rambus and since ive never built a pc using Rambus before, i honestly have no idea how stable it is. Ive worked with Pc133 and 100 for 4-5 years now and i have to say, ive only had 1 stick fail on me (it was 256mb too.. sniff sniff). For your problems i recommend a full format and possibly the installation of Winxp. that will hopefully eliminate any problems. If you still think its a ram stablity problem, look online for a memory test program and see what the program reports. good luck.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
First off, there are many more ways to get a BSOD than 'unstable' memory.

Second off, even if this was the case, I doubt you could right off an entire RAM technological standard simply based on the performance of your PC. You can have a faulty RAM module of any kind.

Whether the rambus you've mentioned is reputed to be unstable I don't know, because I've never used it, but regardless - I find it hard to follow the reasoning that the amount of BSOD's you've had over the years can be attributed to the RAM technology you were using at the time.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
it was fine for 5 months.
Its rather unlikely that your RAM would be stable for 5 months, then crap out on you. Its probably something else. Usually if you have a bad RAM module, you'd see issues pretty soon.

I've have PC800 for 6ish? yrs now, and its perfectly fine. Any BSOD's that come up are from not formatting for 3 yrs, or software that crashed, etc. Its probably Windows got hosed somehow or something.

If you really want to test it out, run some memory benches or something. Search around the forums, you'll find some utilities.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have no idea where to begin looking for problems. You should pay a shop $60 for a 10 minute answer.

It's probably the power supply failing. Heck, it might just be dust in the CPU cooler.