Outlook Express -- Combine and Decode

When is combine and decode used and why is it not available for me. TIA, for
all help and I know this is probably a really easy answer but it will be news
to me. <smile>
9 answers Last reply
More about outlook express combine decode

    There is a setting in both News and Mail accounts (in OE, though there
    are similar settings in any email/news client) that are invoked when an
    attachment exceeds a certain size, and splits the message into
    manageable pieces. Both newsgroup servers and email servers usually have
    a size limit. This is how it's dealt with.

    When such a file is received, it's in two or more pieces. To read the
    message, you have to select all the pieces, then "Combine and Decode."
    In OE, that option isn't available until two or more messages are
    selected, whether or not they are actually split messages in need of
    this procedure.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > When is combine and decode used and why is it not available for me.
    TIA, for
    > all help and I know this is probably a really easy answer but it will
    be news
    > to me. <smile>

    Thanks for clearing that up Gary. I knew that I could count on you. Any new
    information about your wonderful puppies?

    :
    : When such a file is received, it's in two or more pieces. To read the
    : message, you have to select all the pieces, then "Combine and Decode."
    : In OE, that option isn't available until two or more messages are
    : selected, whether or not they are actually split messages in need of
    : this procedure.
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:%23RDa1PwHFHA.4016@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : > When is combine and decode used and why is it not available for me.
    : TIA, for
    : > all help and I know this is probably a really easy answer but it will
    : be news
    : > to me. <smile>
    : >
    : >
    :

    Dan! Go to bed!!

    --

    > Thanks for clearing that up Gary. I knew that I could count on you.
    Any new
    > information about your wonderful puppies?

    Alright, goodnight -- post back in the morning about puppies, please.
    <smile>

    : Dan! Go to bed!!
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:eSRvyqwHFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    : > Thanks for clearing that up Gary. I knew that I could count on you.
    : Any new
    : > information about your wonderful puppies?
    :

    I use combine and decode to save numerous newsgroup messages from a single
    thread - if not the entire thread itself - into one file in MyDocs or
    elsewhere.

    Very useful for that.

    --
    Regards,
    Anthony Giorgianni

    The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
    to the newsgroup.

    Interesting!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
    wrote in message news:%23TZiIR1HFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I use combine and decode to save numerous newsgroup messages from a
    single
    > thread - if not the entire thread itself - into one file in MyDocs or
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > Very useful for that.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Anthony Giorgianni
    >
    > The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by
    posting back
    > to the newsgroup.

    Good luck getting the Combined message into any sort of logical order. <eg>
    --
    ~PAÞ

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Interesting!
    >
    > "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
    > wrote in message news:%23TZiIR1HFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > I use combine and decode to save numerous newsgroup messages from a
    > > single thread - if not the entire thread itself - into one file in
    > > MyDocs or elsewhere.

    Seems easy to get it in a logical order, PA. I select all the messages that
    I want in a thread, right-click and hit combine and decode. OE seems to
    present them every time with the top one (usually the original post first)
    and the others below it. It even gives me an option to change the order. I
    have done it with a real long thread with lots of subtopics, but the many
    times I've done, it's been great.

    --

    > Good luck getting the Combined message into any sort of logical order.
    <eg>
    > --
    > ~PAÞ

    Thanks Anthony. They say you learn something new everyday and I sure have.
    Have a great day! <smile>

    "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote
    in message news:unDw4A3HFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:O3Q7B62HFHA.1108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : > Good luck getting the Combined message into any sort of logical order.
    : <eg>
    : > --
    : > ~PAÞ
    : >
    :
    :

Outlook Express Microsoft Decoder Windows