Outlook Express -- Combine and Decode

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 2, 2005 4:43:47 AM

When is combine and decode used and why is it not available for me. TIA, for
all help and I know this is probably a really easy answer but it will be news
to me. <smile>
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:43:48 AM

There is a setting in both News and Mail accounts (in OE, though there
are similar settings in any email/news client) that are invoked when an
attachment exceeds a certain size, and splits the message into
manageable pieces. Both newsgroup servers and email servers usually have
a size limit. This is how it's dealt with.

When such a file is received, it's in two or more pieces. To read the
message, you have to select all the pieces, then "Combine and Decode."
In OE, that option isn't available until two or more messages are
selected, whether or not they are actually split messages in need of
this procedure.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> When is combine and decode used and why is it not available for me.
TIA, for
> all help and I know this is probably a really easy answer but it will
be news
> to me. <smile>

March 2, 2005 5:32:02 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Gary. I knew that I could count on you. Any new
information about your wonderful puppies?

:
: When such a file is received, it's in two or more pieces. To read the
: message, you have to select all the pieces, then "Combine and Decode."
: In OE, that option isn't available until two or more messages are
: selected, whether or not they are actually split messages in need of
: this procedure.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:%23RDa1PwHFHA.4016@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > When is combine and decode used and why is it not available for me.
: TIA, for
: > all help and I know this is probably a really easy answer but it will
: be news
: > to me. <smile>
: >
: >
:
Related resources
March 2, 2005 6:03:10 AM

Alright, goodnight -- post back in the morning about puppies, please.
<smile>

: Dan! Go to bed!!
:
: --
: news:eSRvyqwHFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > Thanks for clearing that up Gary. I knew that I could count on you.
: Any new
: > information about your wonderful puppies?
:
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:18:37 PM

I use combine and decode to save numerous newsgroup messages from a single
thread - if not the entire thread itself - into one file in MyDocs or
elsewhere.

Very useful for that.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:18:38 PM

Interesting!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
wrote in message news:%23TZiIR1HFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I use combine and decode to save numerous newsgroup messages from a
single
> thread - if not the entire thread itself - into one file in MyDocs or
> elsewhere.
>
> Very useful for that.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by
posting back
> to the newsgroup.

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:26:36 PM

Good luck getting the Combined message into any sort of logical order. <eg>
--
~PAÞ

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Interesting!
>
> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
> wrote in message news:%23TZiIR1HFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I use combine and decode to save numerous newsgroup messages from a
> > single thread - if not the entire thread itself - into one file in
> > MyDocs or elsewhere.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:38:38 PM

Seems easy to get it in a logical order, PA. I select all the messages that
I want in a thread, right-click and hit combine and decode. OE seems to
present them every time with the top one (usually the original post first)
and the others below it. It even gives me an option to change the order. I
have done it with a real long thread with lots of subtopics, but the many
times I've done, it's been great.

--

news:o 3Q7B62HFHA.1108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Good luck getting the Combined message into any sort of logical order.
<eg>
> --
> ~PAÞ

March 3, 2005 5:15:51 PM

Thanks Anthony. They say you learn something new everyday and I sure have.
Have a great day! <smile>

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote
in message news:unDw4A3HFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
: news:o 3Q7B62HFHA.1108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > Good luck getting the Combined message into any sort of logical order.
: <eg>
: > --
: > ~PAÞ
: >