Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

Gosh it sounds like a lot of hassle then. I was hoping to upgrade and
fingers crossed everything would work but I can see then two are
clearly very different operating systems. I think I will leave 98se on
the pc for the while then. Basically I found xp more user friendly than
98se and of course nicer to look at. (we have just upgraded the pcs as
work and so I use it daily now) Is there anyone here that upgraded an
encountered zero problems then.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

Upgrading is not the recommended solution. A Clean Install of XP is much
more likely to succeed.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1l9ebz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> Gosh it sounds like a lot of hassle then. I was hoping to upgrade and
> fingers crossed everything would work but I can see then two are
> clearly very different operating systems. I think I will leave 98se
on
> the pc for the while then. Basically I found xp more user friendly
than
> 98se and of course nicer to look at. (we have just upgraded the pcs as
> work and so I use it daily now) Is there anyone here that upgraded an
> encountered zero problems then.
>

> Stanislaw Flatto Wrote:
> > PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
> > I am considering getting a laptop shortly(I decided not to buy a new
> > pc
> > as the one I have is fine) but I would like to keep using my win98se
> > pc
> > which is about 3 years old. I was considering upgrading the
> > operating
> > system to 2000 professional or xp. I think my pc could just about
> > handle xp and it has more than the minimal requirements. Originally
> > did plan on merely upgrading to 2000 professional but I see that
> > win98se seems to be more frequently supported than 2000. Any ideas
as
> > to why this is(question mark). Any one had any problems upgrading
> > from
> > win98se to xp.
> >
> > -
> > As fate would have it, a friend dropped in with a long face, he did
> > what
> > you intend and it threw his working setup into a mess. Hardware that
> > performed under Win98 stopped working after "upgrade" and there are
NO
> > drivers for XP. But he is a stubborn individual. So after a deep
> > breath
> > and some "multicultural" swears we installed both OS's on his hard
> > drive
> > separated with BootItNG bootloader so he can use each as he chooses.
> >
> > But it IS your box so
> >
> > Have fun
> >
> > Stanislaw
> > Slack user from Ulladulla.
>

> --
> PSYCHOPIXIE

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

95, 98, 98SE and even ME are based on 9x code which traces itself back to
MS-DOS

NT, 2000, XP HOME, XP PRO., XP SP2 (Service Pack Two) are based on NT (New
Technology aka Not There -- so called by Microsoft's Technicians according to
Microsoft history books)

9x -- generally a consumer friendly line -- also used by businesses
especially 98 Second Edition

NT -- generally a business line -- also used by some home users and now many
people with coming of XP

Microsoft wants to cut costs so Microsoft is eliminating the 9x line on 30
June 2006 unless a Miracle happens and I can change their minds (unlikely but
I will try because I am passionate about 9x source code)

Microsoft also wants to cut time and development by having only one line of
code.

The Dangers of this as I see it:

1. Only 1 line of code for hackers to target and break into computer systems
(I am only including Microsoft in this analysis)

2. Less and less support for 9x products because Microsoft wants the computer
industry to go its way or the highway. I am currently trying to get
Microsoft to see the light as to why two lines of code are still necessary in
this day and age.

3. Competition from Apple and Linux will hurt Microsoft and by having only 1
line of code supported consumers and businesses feel abandoned and start to
switch quickly to Open Source, Linux and Apple products because Microsoft no
longer fits their needs. (This may be a good thing because the computer
industry is suffering from a lack of innovation and businesses do best when
they have competition -- Our pride at Target Corporation is kept in check by
having to deal with the much greater rival of Wal-Mart and although we cannot
usually beat them with prices we try to beat Wal-Mart by having better
customer (guest) service as well as superior products usually and our red tag
mark-downs clearence items are really a great deal. Finally, we at Target
try to provide our employees with excellent benefits for a retail store as
compared to weaker benefits at Wal-Mart. You may want to consider this when
you shop at Wal-Mart and although I do shop at Wal-Mart from time to time --
it is when I cannot find the item at our Target store.

4. Other Reasons that I am Too Tired to Elaborate Upon in this post

:
: Stanislaw Flatto Wrote:
: > PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
: > I am considering getting a laptop shortly(I decided not to buy a new
: > pc
: > as the one I have is fine) but I would like to keep using my win98se
: > pc
: > which is about 3 years old. I was considering upgrading the
: > operating
: > system to 2000 professional or xp. I think my pc could just about
: > handle xp and it has more than the minimal requirements. Originally
: > I
: > did plan on merely upgrading to 2000 professional but I see that
: > win98se seems to be more frequently supported than 2000. Any ideas as
: > to why this is(question mark). Any one had any problems upgrading
: > from
: > win98se to xp.
: >
: > -
: > As fate would have it, a friend dropped in with a long face, he did
: > what
: > you intend and it threw his working setup into a mess. Hardware that
: > performed under Win98 stopped working after "upgrade" and there are NO
: > drivers for XP. But he is a stubborn individual. So after a deep
: > breath
: > and some "multicultural" swears we installed both OS's on his hard
: > drive
: > separated with BootItNG bootloader so he can use each as he chooses.
: >
: > But it IS your box so
: >
: > Have fun
: >
: > Stanislaw
: > Slack user from Ulladulla.
:
:
: --
: PSYCHOPIXIE

PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:
> Gosh it sounds like a lot of hassle then. I was hoping to upgrade and
> fingers crossed everything would work but I can see then two are
> clearly very different operating systems. I think I will leave 98se on
> the pc for the while then. Basically I found xp more user friendly than
> 98se and of course nicer to look at. (we have just upgraded the pcs as
> work and so I use it daily now) Is there anyone here that upgraded an
> encountered zero problems then.

Last I heard such one will be beautified by the next Pope.

Have fun

Stanislaw.

I would suggest that keep your existing win98se setup, and
install xp in other drive making it dual boot.

xp is good, but there are some problems in it. Plus, you
would need some time to adapt to its different interface,
and plug and play. If you have some quick work in the mean
time you can do that in win98.

I don't know whether w2k or any other os you might be
considering can be made dual boot with 98 or not.

HTH
--
Rawat

On 3/2/05 3:31 PM India Time, _Dan_ wrote:

> [...]
> : > win98se seems to be more frequently supported than 2000. Any ideas as
> : > to why this is(question mark). Any one had any problems upgrading
> : > from
> : > win98se to xp.
> : >
> : > -
> : > As fate would have it, a friend dropped in with a long face, he did
> : > what
> : > you intend and it threw his working setup into a mess. Hardware that
> : > performed under Win98 stopped working after "upgrade" and there are NO
> : > drivers for XP. But he is a stubborn individual. So after a deep
> : > breath
> : > and some "multicultural" swears we installed both OS's on his hard
> : > drive
> : > separated with BootItNG bootloader so he can use each as he chooses.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Rawat, please post the advantages and disadvantages of 98SE as compared to XP
PRO. when you have the time. I know some but I want to see your input.
Thanks in advance and have a great day!

"V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
[...]
: > :
: > : Stanislaw Flatto Wrote:
: > : > PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
: > : > I am considering getting a laptop shortly(I decided not to buy a new
: > : > pc
: > : > as the one I have is fine) but I would like to keep using my win98se
: > : > pc
: > : > which is about 3 years old. I was considering upgrading the
: > : > operating
: > : > system to 2000 professional or xp. I think my pc could just about
: > : > handle xp and it has more than the minimal requirements. Originally
: > : > I
: > : > did plan on merely upgrading to 2000 professional but I see that
: > : > win98se seems to be more frequently supported than 2000. Any ideas as
: > : > to why this is(question mark). Any one had any problems upgrading
: > : > from
: > : > win98se to xp.
: > : >
: > : > -
[...]