Start->Programs->Menu

When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or Shortcuts
shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of that
could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries. I
understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several files that
have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the same.
What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete Files
or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or Files
that are stored in the HD?
Any help would be appreciated.
Pal
9 answers Last reply
More about start programs menu

    Unless someone goofed and put actual files in the menus (which you can
    do, though it isn't usually recommended.) None of those shortcut files
    and folders should be critical. You should be able to rearrange them to
    your heart's content.

    All of the stuff in the Start Menu (above the line) and all the stuff in
    the Programs menu, are actually in the "C:\Windows\Start" folder. If you
    go there, you'll find the arrangement more easy to manage. Make it even
    easier by going into Folder Options, View tab, and enabling "Show All
    Files", then use Detailed View in Windows Explorer to arrange your
    C:\Windows\Start folder. By doing the above, you will see the filetypes
    involved, and thus make sure there are no executables in the folder.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
    Shortcuts
    > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
    of that
    > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
    > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
    > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
    files that
    > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
    same.
    > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
    > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete
    Files
    > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
    Files
    > that are stored in the HD?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Pal

    Sorry, I should have also told you to disable "Hide Extensions for known
    filetypes" in Folder Options. That's the main one. "Show All Files" is
    to make sure you don't have hidden files in the Start folder. If there
    are, it's a fair sign that a virus is afoot (a Hidden desktop.ini is
    OK.)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
    Shortcuts
    > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
    of that
    > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
    > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
    > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
    files that
    > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
    same.
    > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
    > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete
    Files
    > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
    Files
    > that are stored in the HD?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Pal

    Thanks, Gary!
    I will follow up on your suggestions. Will get back to you, if I should have
    any problems with them.
    PAL
    ---------

    -------------------------

    > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
    > Shortcuts
    > > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
    > of that
    > > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
    > > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
    > > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
    > files that
    > > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
    > same.
    > > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
    > > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete
    > Files
    > > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
    > Files
    > > that are stored in the HD?
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > > Pal

    -------

    Yes.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or Shortcuts
    > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of that
    > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries. I
    > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
    > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several files that
    > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the same.
    > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
    > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete Files
    > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or Files
    > that are stored in the HD?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Pal

    "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
    Shortcuts
    > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of
    that
    > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
    > . . . Could I delete Files
    > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
    Files
    > that are stored in the HD?

    This display via / Start button is merely a folder
    c:\windows\start menu
    and its contents can be manipulated like any other
    folder.

    Only trial and error will tell you whether a particular
    Deletion or Move works OK without upsetting your
    Registry. So the safest method of change is:

    1. Create a special folder
    D:\Trial
    and copy there the whole contents of
    c:\windows\start menu

    2. Start making changes, reboot and run those
    LNKs you have been tinkeriing with. If one fails
    to run OK, just recopy its particular subfolder back to
    c:\windows\start menu

    (I do this extensively in order:
    A. To put a few important EXEs into the first tier / Start
    e.g. Internet Explorer (which Windows buries in
    / start / programs / accessories / internet )

    B. To group apps of similar type together, e.g. all
    graphics apps in
    c:\windows\start\menu\programs\graphics
    so as to reduce the total number of items displayed by
    / start / programs

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    On 3/2/05 7:07 PM India Time, _Don Phillipson_ wrote:

    > "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
    >
    > Shortcuts
    >
    >>shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of
    >
    > that
    >
    >>could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
    >>. . . Could I delete Files
    >>or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
    >
    > Files
    >
    >>that are stored in the HD?
    >

    > This display via / Start button is merely a folder
    > c:\windows\start menu
    > and its contents can be manipulated like any other
    > folder.
    >
    > Only trial and error will tell you whether a particular
    > Deletion or Move works OK without upsetting your
    > Registry. So the safest method of change is:
    >
    > 1. Create a special folder
    > D:\Trial
    > and copy there the whole contents of
    > c:\windows\start menu
    >
    > 2. Start making changes, reboot and run those
    > LNKs you have been tinkeriing with. If one fails
    > to run OK, just recopy its particular subfolder back to
    > c:\windows\start menu
    >
    > (I do this extensively in order:
    > A. To put a few important EXEs into the first tier / Start
    > e.g. Internet Explorer (which Windows buries in
    > / start / programs / accessories / internet )
    >
    > B. To group apps of similar type together, e.g. all
    > graphics apps in
    > c:\windows\start\menu\programs\graphics
    > so as to reduce the total number of items displayed by
    > / start / programs

    Go To
    StartMenu-Settings-TaskbarAndStartMenu-StartMenuProgram-Advanced:

    The folder C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu will open up.

    You can do any adjustment in left or in right pane items.

    Create new folders as you need.

    Move/ create/ copy shortcuts from one place to other place.
    ---
    While you are at it, you can move your most frequently used
    icond to Quicklaunch bar so that you don't have to open
    startmenu all the time.

    My desktop is empty except that darned mycomputer which
    can't be removed. I have my all frequently used icons of
    quicklaunch bar.

    HTH
    --
    Rawat

    Thanks Gary, Glee, Don and V S Rawat for your suggestions! You surely
    cleared my doubts about that stuff!
    I followed Gary’s suggestions as soon as I saw his reply. It worked quite
    well. My current Start Menu is quite manageable. More can be done, but, now I
    need to worry about Don’s approach. I deleted many entries, but they are
    still in my Recycled Bin. Since I did not test all the remaining entries on
    the current Menu, I will restore the deleted ones, save both configurations
    and do the job right.
    V S Rawat’s scheme sounds interesting. I just wonder if I could manage that
    task.
    Thanks, again!
    -------------
    Gary S. Terhune

    3/2/2005 4:15 AM PST
    Re: Start->Programs->Menu

    In: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

[...]

    ------------------------------------

    Don Phillipson

    3/2/2005 6:18 AM PST
[...]

    ------------------------

    V S Rawat

    3/2/2005 11:08 AM PST

    ---------------------------

    "BAP" wrote:

    > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or Shortcuts
    > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of that
    > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries. I
    > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
    > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several files that
    > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the same.
    > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
    > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete Files
    > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or Files
    > that are stored in the HD?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Pal

    Instead of deleting, why not move the ones you don't want, or don't know
    about, to a new folder on your desktop. Then you can play with them as
    you wish, deciding where to put them or whether to just get rid of them.

    --

> [...]
    >
    > > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
    Shortcuts
    > > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
    of that
    > > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer
    entries. I
    > > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but
    about
    > > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
    files that
    > > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
    same.
    > > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
    > > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I
    delete Files
    > > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders

    I retrieved the deleted entries and have both configurations in separate
    folders. All seems to be under control. Thanks again, Gary and all!
    PAL

Microsoft Windows