Start->Programs->Menu

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 2, 2005 6:55:03 AM

When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or Shortcuts
shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of that
could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries. I
understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several files that
have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the same.
What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete Files
or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or Files
that are stored in the HD?
Any help would be appreciated.
Pal

More about : start programs menu

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:13:28 AM

Unless someone goofed and put actual files in the menus (which you can
do, though it isn't usually recommended.) None of those shortcut files
and folders should be critical. You should be able to rearrange them to
your heart's content.

All of the stuff in the Start Menu (above the line) and all the stuff in
the Programs menu, are actually in the "C:\Windows\Start" folder. If you
go there, you'll find the arrangement more easy to manage. Make it even
easier by going into Folder Options, View tab, and enabling "Show All
Files", then use Detailed View in Windows Explorer to arrange your
C:\Windows\Start folder. By doing the above, you will see the filetypes
involved, and thus make sure there are no executables in the folder.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
Shortcuts
> shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
of that
> could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
> understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
> Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
files that
> have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
same.
> What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
> some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete
Files
> or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
Files
> that are stored in the HD?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Pal
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:15:43 AM

Sorry, I should have also told you to disable "Hide Extensions for known
filetypes" in Folder Options. That's the main one. "Show All Files" is
to make sure you don't have hidden files in the Start folder. If there
are, it's a fair sign that a virus is afoot (a Hidden desktop.ini is
OK.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
Shortcuts
> shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
of that
> could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
> understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
> Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
files that
> have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
same.
> What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
> some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete
Files
> or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
Files
> that are stored in the HD?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Pal
March 2, 2005 7:37:06 AM

Thanks, Gary!
I will follow up on your suggestions. Will get back to you, if I should have
any problems with them.
PAL
---------

-------------------------

> "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
> Shortcuts
> > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
> of that
> > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
> > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
> > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
> files that
> > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
> same.
> > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
> > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete
> Files
> > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
> Files
> > that are stored in the HD?
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Pal

-------
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:20:24 AM

Yes.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or Shortcuts
> shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of that
> could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries. I
> understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
> Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several files that
> have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the same.
> What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
> some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete Files
> or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or Files
> that are stored in the HD?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Pal
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:37:48 AM

"BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
Shortcuts
> shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of
that
> could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
> . . . Could I delete Files
> or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
Files
> that are stored in the HD?

This display via / Start button is merely a folder
c:\windows\start menu
and its contents can be manipulated like any other
folder.

Only trial and error will tell you whether a particular
Deletion or Move works OK without upsetting your
Registry. So the safest method of change is:

1. Create a special folder
D:\Trial
and copy there the whole contents of
c:\windows\start menu

2. Start making changes, reboot and run those
LNKs you have been tinkeriing with. If one fails
to run OK, just recopy its particular subfolder back to
c:\windows\start menu

(I do this extensively in order:
A. To put a few important EXEs into the first tier / Start
e.g. Internet Explorer (which Windows buries in
/ start / programs / accessories / internet )

B. To group apps of similar type together, e.g. all
graphics apps in
c:\windows\start\menu\programs\graphics
so as to reduce the total number of items displayed by
/ start / programs

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

On 3/2/05 7:07 PM India Time, _Don Phillipson_ wrote:

> "BAP" <BAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>

>>When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
>
> Shortcuts
>
>>shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of
>
> that
>
>>could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries.
>>. . . Could I delete Files
>>or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or
>
> Files
>
>>that are stored in the HD?
>

> This display via / Start button is merely a folder
> c:\windows\start menu
> and its contents can be manipulated like any other
> folder.
>
> Only trial and error will tell you whether a particular
> Deletion or Move works OK without upsetting your
> Registry. So the safest method of change is:
>
> 1. Create a special folder
> D:\Trial
> and copy there the whole contents of
> c:\windows\start menu
>
> 2. Start making changes, reboot and run those
> LNKs you have been tinkeriing with. If one fails
> to run OK, just recopy its particular subfolder back to
> c:\windows\start menu
>
> (I do this extensively in order:
> A. To put a few important EXEs into the first tier / Start
> e.g. Internet Explorer (which Windows buries in
> / start / programs / accessories / internet )
>
> B. To group apps of similar type together, e.g. all
> graphics apps in
> c:\windows\start\menu\programs\graphics
> so as to reduce the total number of items displayed by
> / start / programs

Go To
StartMenu-Settings-TaskbarAndStartMenu-StartMenuProgram-Advanced:

The folder C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu will open up.

You can do any adjustment in left or in right pane items.

Create new folders as you need.

Move/ create/ copy shortcuts from one place to other place.
---
While you are at it, you can move your most frequently used
icond to Quicklaunch bar so that you don't have to open
startmenu all the time.

My desktop is empty except that darned mycomputer which
can't be removed. I have my all frequently used icons of
quicklaunch bar.

HTH
--
Rawat
Anonymous

Thanks Gary, Glee, Don and V S Rawat for your suggestions! You surely
cleared my doubts about that stuff!
I followed Gary’s suggestions as soon as I saw his reply. It worked quite
well. My current Start Menu is quite manageable. More can be done, but, now I
need to worry about Don’s approach. I deleted many entries, but they are
still in my Recycled Bin. Since I did not test all the remaining entries on
the current Menu, I will restore the deleted ones, save both configurations
and do the job right.
V S Rawat’s scheme sounds interesting. I just wonder if I could manage that
task.
Thanks, again!
-------------
Gary S. Terhune

3/2/2005 4:15 AM PST
Re: Start->Programs->Menu

In: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

[...]

------------------------------------

Don Phillipson

3/2/2005 6:18 AM PST
[...]

------------------------

V S Rawat

3/2/2005 11:08 AM PST

---------------------------

"BAP" wrote:

> When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or Shortcuts
> shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much of that
> could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer entries. I
> understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but about
> Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several files that
> have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the same.
> What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
> some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I delete Files
> or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders or Files
> that are stored in the HD?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Pal
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:14:08 AM

Instead of deleting, why not move the ones you don't want, or don't know
about, to a new folder on your desktop. Then you can play with them as
you wish, deciding where to put them or whether to just get rid of them.

--

> [...]
>
> > When clicking on Start->Programs, a long list of Folders, Files or
Shortcuts
> > shows up. Often, I find this sort of overwhelming and wish that much
of that
> > could be disposed of, if not necessary, or grouped into fewer
entries. I
> > understand that the Shortcuts can be deleted, if not needed, but
about
> > Folders and Executable Files? I have successfully grouped several
files that
> > have some similarity into one main Entry and wish to do more of the
same.
> > What is bothersome is that many have their own subsets of files
> > some of which, I think, could be taken out of the Menu. Could I
delete Files
> > or folders in the Start Menus without affecting the actual Folders
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 6:05:01 AM

I retrieved the deleted entries and have both configurations in separate
folders. All seems to be under control. Thanks again, Gary and all!
PAL

!