scan Reg & Scan Disk ?

Hi,
Trying to get info.
What exactly does ScanReg do? Does it repair things?
Ditto for ScanDisk?
Are the win98 versions of these apps/utilities functional
in later versions of windows, including up to xp?

ta

regards Jane

Jane,

It's all here:

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/scanreg.html

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/ScanDisk.html

http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Trying to get info.
> What exactly does ScanReg do? Does it repair things?
> Ditto for ScanDisk?
> Are the win98 versions of these apps/utilities functional
> in later versions of windows, including up to xp?
>
> ta
>
> regards Jane

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>Trying to get info.
>What exactly does ScanReg do? Does it repair things?

ScanReg is a utility for checking, repairing, and doing the backup &
restore of the Windows registry. There is also ScanRegW which runs
automatically when the computer starts up. This creates an automatic
daily backup of the registry and maintains a running library of the 5
most recent daily backups.

>Ditto for ScanDisk?

ScanDisk checks the integrity of the logical data structure on the
hard drive and also the quality of the data surfaces of the disk
itself. It can repair errors in the logical structure (lost clusters,
cross-linked files, etc.) and can identify damaged areas on the data
surfaces and mark these as bad so as to prevent their further use. It
is the Windows equivalent of the DOS utility CHKDSK.

>Are the win98 versions of these apps/utilities functional
>in later versions of windows, including up to xp?

No. WindowsMe, the successor to Windows 98, comes with its own
version of these utilities and they should be used with that version.
The Windows 98 versions, especially ScanReg, are likely to have
problems running on WindowsMe.

And Windows XP is based on the NT kernel and has a completely
different registry structure. ScanReg is totally unusable in XP and
there is no exact equivalent of it in XP. ScanDisk might work on a
FAT32 drive under Windows XP but would be totally unable to handle any
NTFS drives. I would not recommend even trying it, even if your drive
is FAT32. The Windows XP equivalent is named CHKDSK.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

On 3/2/05 7:57 PM India Time, _Emrys Davies_ wrote:

> Jane,
>
> It's all here:
>
> http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/scanreg.html
>
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/ScanDisk.html
>
> http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>Trying to get info.
>>What exactly does ScanReg do? Does it repair things?
>>Ditto for ScanDisk?
>>Are the win98 versions of these apps/utilities functional
>>in later versions of windows, including up to xp?

I don't know what you mean by 98 versions of these programs.

If you to know whether the programfile that does scanreg or
scandisk will work on later windows, NO WAY.

but all later or earlier versions of windows are having
scanreg and scandisk. Those are different program files
written as per the os code of those windows. As far I am
aware they work similarly and with similar user interface as
in 98.

i could not find any specific scandisk in xppro sp2, but,
after an abnormal shutdown, something like scandisk is run
automatically by windows.

>>ta
>>
>>regards Jane

HTH.
--
Rawat

MurPhil

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Further to this excellent question from jane, my Win98 refuses to Scandisk
and Defrag my 160Gb C: drive. Gives me error message to the effect that my
computer doesn't have enough available memory!? Someone told me once that
this is because Win98 doesn't recognize hard drives larger than about 130Gb.
Otherwise, my C: drive performs beautifully under normal use. Anyone know of
any work-around so that I can Scandisk/Defrag my C: drive?

Tx ... Murphil

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Trying to get info.
> >What exactly does ScanReg do? Does it repair things?
>
> ScanReg is a utility for checking, repairing, and doing the backup &
> restore of the Windows registry. There is also ScanRegW which runs
> automatically when the computer starts up. This creates an automatic
> daily backup of the registry and maintains a running library of the 5
> most recent daily backups.
>

> >Ditto for ScanDisk?
>
> ScanDisk checks the integrity of the logical data structure on the
> hard drive and also the quality of the data surfaces of the disk
> itself. It can repair errors in the logical structure (lost clusters,
> cross-linked files, etc.) and can identify damaged areas on the data
> surfaces and mark these as bad so as to prevent their further use. It
> is the Windows equivalent of the DOS utility CHKDSK.
>

> >Are the win98 versions of these apps/utilities functional
> >in later versions of windows, including up to xp?
> >

> No. WindowsMe, the successor to Windows 98, comes with its own
> version of these utilities and they should be used with that version.
> The Windows 98 versions, especially ScanReg, are likely to have
> problems running on WindowsMe.
>
> And Windows XP is based on the NT kernel and has a completely
> different registry structure. ScanReg is totally unusable in XP and
> there is no exact equivalent of it in XP. ScanDisk might work on a
> FAT32 drive under Windows XP but would be totally unable to handle any
> NTFS drives. I would not recommend even trying it, even if your drive
> is FAT32. The Windows XP equivalent is named CHKDSK.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Scandisk did not exist before Windows 95. Scanreg did not exist before
Windows 98 (although there was a Windows NT version that did a different
job).
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
> On 3/2/05 7:57 PM India Time, _Emrys Davies_ wrote:
> snip <
>
> but all later or earlier versions of windows are having scanreg and
> scandisk.

HAGGIS

"Murphil" <Murphil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Further to this excellent question from jane, my Win98 refuses to Scandisk
> and Defrag my 160Gb C: drive. Gives me error message to the effect that my
> computer doesn't have enough available memory!? Someone told me once that
> this is because Win98 doesn't recognize hard drives larger than about
> 130Gb.
> Otherwise, my C: drive performs beautifully under normal use. Anyone know
> of
> any work-around so that I can Scandisk/Defrag my C: drive?
>
> Tx ... Murphil
>

> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >Trying to get info.
>> >What exactly does ScanReg do? Does it repair things?
>>
>> ScanReg is a utility for checking, repairing, and doing the backup &
>> restore of the Windows registry. There is also ScanRegW which runs
>> automatically when the computer starts up. This creates an automatic
>> daily backup of the registry and maintains a running library of the 5
>> most recent daily backups.
>>

>> >Ditto for ScanDisk?
>>
>> ScanDisk checks the integrity of the logical data structure on the
>> hard drive and also the quality of the data surfaces of the disk
>> itself. It can repair errors in the logical structure (lost clusters,
>> cross-linked files, etc.) and can identify damaged areas on the data
>> surfaces and mark these as bad so as to prevent their further use. It
>> is the Windows equivalent of the DOS utility CHKDSK.
>>

>> >Are the win98 versions of these apps/utilities functional
>> >in later versions of windows, including up to xp?
>> >

>> No. WindowsMe, the successor to Windows 98, comes with its own
>> version of these utilities and they should be used with that version.
>> The Windows 98 versions, especially ScanReg, are likely to have
>> problems running on WindowsMe.
>>
>> And Windows XP is based on the NT kernel and has a completely
>> different registry structure. ScanReg is totally unusable in XP and
>> there is no exact equivalent of it in XP. ScanDisk might work on a
>> FAT32 drive under Windows XP but would be totally unable to handle any
>> NTFS drives. I would not recommend even trying it, even if your drive
>> is FAT32. The Windows XP equivalent is named CHKDSK.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

this might interest you

http://www.hexff.com/w98_hd.php

"Murphil" <Murphil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Further to this excellent question from jane, my Win98 refuses to Scandisk
>and Defrag my 160Gb C: drive. Gives me error message to the effect that my
>computer doesn't have enough available memory!? Someone told me once that
>this is because Win98 doesn't recognize hard drives larger than about 130Gb.
>Otherwise, my C: drive performs beautifully under normal use. Anyone know of
>any work-around so that I can Scandisk/Defrag my C: drive?

Scandisk and Defrag will not work on hard drives larger than 128
binary gb (137 billion bytes).

This is because they cannot cope with drives that have more than 4.1
million total clusters; and the maximum usable cluster size for FAT32
drives is 32 kb.

The only way to cure this problem is to partition the drive so that
your C: partition is no larger than 128 binary gb (137 billion bytes)
and then create a second partition using the balance of the space on
the drive. There are utilities such as Partition Magic (Symantec) or
BootItNG (www.bootitng.com) which will allow you to reduce the size of
the existing partition without destroying the contents.

A work-around alternative would be to install some third-party disk
utilities to replace Scandisk and Defrag and which do not have the
smae disk size limitations as do Scandisk and Defrag. I am not aware
of any specific utilities that would meet these requirements but they
probably do exist.

On 3/3/05 10:45 PM India Time, _Murphil_ wrote:

> Further to this excellent question from jane, my Win98
> refuses to Scandisk and Defrag my 160Gb C: drive. Gives
> me error message to the effect that my computer doesn't
> have enough available memory!? Someone told me once that
> this is because Win98 doesn't recognize hard drives
> larger than about 130Gb. Otherwise, my C: drive performs
> beautifully under normal use. Anyone know of any
> work-around so that I can Scandisk/Defrag my C: drive?

The basic wisdom of computer is:

"Don't fix it when it is not broken"

So, when you are happy with the performance of your pc,
don't fiddle in it.

I am assuming that you have kept only single partition of
full size of your hd. Thus, if you ever have to reformat/
reinstall windows for any reason, at that time you might
consider making more no. of partitions (a hd can have upto
four partitions), and then the size will become smaller than
the limit, and it will be able to run the programs.

Smaller partition will take less time for scan/defrag/ virus
check/ backup/ whatever. And in case of some problem, only
one partition is more likely to go toast.

In the meantime, you can try Norton Systemworks or other
such disk management utilities which are also having scan
and defrag options.

--
Rawat

Certain Windows utilities have problems with partitions larger than about
130Gb. Windows also has problem with disks larger than 130Gb (regardless of
the partition size) unless you have taken special precautions with updated
drivers etc.

If you have properly dealt with the large disk size, you can avoid the
Scandisk (and similar) problems by using several smaller partitions across
that disk.

If you haven't properly dealt with the large disk size, you may get a nasty
surprise the first time you write data to any part of the disk beyond about
130Gb.
http://www.48bitlba.com/
--
Jeff Richards