Flash Drive Option

Hi all,
I am full of questions tonight.
I got given a FlashDrive; How do I get the option of using it
attached to my right-click menu.?
(I know about send-to as I have swags of stuff and options on
my send-to, but I dont know how to get my flashdrive option there)
For xample....... I go select a file, any file via a rightclick, and I
want it sent to my flash.

ta
regards Jane

Jane',

Glad you asked this question otherwise I would not have found this very
good site.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/Flashdrive/

Scroll to Copying files to a flash drive on a PC and see number 4.

I thought that flash drives were hotswappable, but not so according to
the writer. Does that surprise you? Also, I was going to buy one for
backup, but I have my doubts now.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

On 3/2/05 7:51 PM India Time, _jane_ wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am full of questions tonight.
> I got given a FlashDrive; How do I get the option of using it
> attached to my right-click menu.?
> (I know about send-to as I have swags of stuff and options on
> my send-to, but I dont know how to get my flashdrive option there)
> For xample....... I go select a file, any file via a rightclick, and I
> want it sent to my flash.
>
> ta
> regards Jane

when your flash drive is connected and is appearing in
windows explorer:

create a shortcut to the root of flashdrive, and move that
to sendto. You may then change the name to whatever you wish
(say, flashdrive).

It maybe noted that flashdrives are normally on usb port,
and are visible only when connected. When they are
connected, the drive letters are recognised.

When flashdrive is not connected, that shortcut will refer
to your cd drive or anyother drive you might have. Hence use
that only after connecting the flash drive.

HTH.
--
Rawat

I am curious. What happens if you DO remove the flash drive, w/o first
disabling it in Remove Hardware?

Emrys Davies wrote:
> Jane',
>
> Glad you asked this question otherwise I would not have found this very
> good site.
>
> http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/Flashdrive/
>
> Scroll to Copying files to a flash drive on a PC and see number 4.
>
> I thought that flash drives were hotswappable, but not so according to
> the writer. Does that surprise you? Also, I was going to buy one for
> backup, but I have my doubts now.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I am full of questions tonight.
>> I got given a FlashDrive; How do I get the option of using it
>> attached to my right-click menu.?
>> (I know about send-to as I have swags of stuff and options on
>> my send-to, but I dont know how to get my flashdrive option there)
>> For xample....... I go select a file, any file via a rightclick, and
>> want it sent to my flash.
>>
>> ta
>> regards Jane

Nothing. The data on the flash drive is not affected. Speaking from my
experience only. Someone will no doubt contradict me on this though. :)

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Usually, nothing. However it is possible that Windows has not completed a
write operation, so data could be lost or the FAT could get corrupted.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I am curious. What happens if you DO remove the flash drive, w/o first
> disabling it in Remove Hardware?

> when your flash drive is connected and is appearing in
> windows explorer:
>
> create a shortcut to the root of flashdrive, and move that
> to sendto. You may then change the name to whatever you wish
> (say, flashdrive).
>
> It maybe noted that flashdrives are normally on usb port,
> and are visible only when connected. When they are
> connected, the drive letters are recognised.
>
> When flashdrive is not connected, that shortcut will refer
> to your cd drive or anyother drive you might have. Hence use
> that only after connecting the flash drive.
>
> HTH.
> --
> Rawat

Excellent, sounds like exactly what I want.
At the moment I am trying to instal a cd burner that I have
been lent so that I can do some backing-up, so I had better wait
until I have all of that sorted before I make the shortcut to the
flash-drive as the drive-letter may change when I remove the burner
and return it...... should only be a couple of days. (although, its
taking me forever just to try to get the flipping burner to work...grrrr)

thanks,,,

regards Jane

TRENDING THREADS