Instal Burner

Hi to all,
I have just installed a CD burner.
It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player and show that it is
playing but no sound.
If I try to burn something using nero it says there is no burner
recognised.
On the CD rom that I have there are 3 sets of wires; 1 for power, 1 for the
rectangular slot, & 1 small one consisting of 3 or so wires.
(this one is plugged into the motherboard)
On the burner, I dont have the last one, could this be my problem?
I also went to 'instal new hardware' after I had installed the burner
physically and it didnt find it or bother with it. (if anything it wanted
to instal a modem of which I cancelled out at that stage)
Does the burner 'have' to be the master and the rom the slave? or
is this not an issue.
Do drivers have to be installed for it? (it is on loan to me at the moment
for back-up purpose) If it does need drivers I will have to go look for
them on the net.
Apart from that, it fires up just fine.

regards Jane

jane wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I have just installed a CD burner.
> It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
> Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
> If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player and show that
> it is playing but no sound.

No drive > soundcard analog connection
_______________

> If I try to burn something using nero it says there is no burner
> recognised.

Update Nero (check at Nero site to see if your drive is supported?)
and/or ASPI (v4.6 preferred).
http://aspi.radified.com/

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Good for you! Yes, the burner *should_be* installed as the Master drive,
*especially* if the other drive on that channel is a CDROM.

Until you do that, I wouldn't try to deal with anything else you've
mentioned..

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all,
> I have just installed a CD burner.
> It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
> Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
> If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player and show that
it is
> playing but no sound.
> If I try to burn something using nero it says there is no burner
> recognised.
> On the CD rom that I have there are 3 sets of wires; 1 for power, 1
for the
> rectangular slot, & 1 small one consisting of 3 or so wires.
> (this one is plugged into the motherboard)
> On the burner, I dont have the last one, could this be my problem?
> I also went to 'instal new hardware' after I had installed the burner
> physically and it didnt find it or bother with it. (if anything it
wanted
> to instal a modem of which I cancelled out at that stage)
> Does the burner 'have' to be the master and the rom the slave? or
> is this not an issue.
> Do drivers have to be installed for it? (it is on loan to me at the
moment
> for back-up purpose) If it does need drivers I will have to go look
for
> them on the net.
> Apart from that, it fires up just fine.
>
> regards Jane

Hi again,
I have some more information.
In Device manager it has the burner noted as this::::
"ATAPI CD-R/RW 48X16".
The brand-name on the front of the burner is BENQ.
Also, in Device manager under properties it says::
"no driver is required or none are installed".
Which is it? It needs them or it doesnt?

regards Jane

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all,
> I have just installed a CD burner.
> It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
> Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
> If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player and show that it
is
> playing but no sound.
> If I try to burn something using nero it says there is no burner
> recognised.
> On the CD rom that I have there are 3 sets of wires; 1 for power, 1 for
the
> rectangular slot, & 1 small one consisting of 3 or so wires.
> (this one is plugged into the motherboard)
> On the burner, I dont have the last one, could this be my problem?
> I also went to 'instal new hardware' after I had installed the burner
> physically and it didnt find it or bother with it. (if anything it wanted
> to instal a modem of which I cancelled out at that stage)
> Does the burner 'have' to be the master and the rom the slave? or
> is this not an issue.
> Do drivers have to be installed for it? (it is on loan to me at the moment
> for back-up purpose) If it does need drivers I will have to go look for
> them on the net.
> Apart from that, it fires up just fine.
>
> regards Jane

Jackson

"jane" rambled on about:
> Hi again,
> I have some more information.
> In Device manager it has the burner noted as this::::
> "ATAPI CD-R/RW 48X16".
> The brand-name on the front of the burner is BENQ.
> Also, in Device manager under properties it says::
> "no driver is required or none are installed".
> Which is it? It needs them or it doesnt?
>
> regards Jane

My gut instinct tells me whatever software you are using to burn with needs
to be updated to recognize your new burner. As far as the audio playback
goes, unless the audio cable (prob the 3-wire deal) is connected to the
drive and then to the soundcard/mainboard you may not get audio playback
through that drive. I could give you a more decisive answer with the
make/model of drive & mainboard.

All that being said, I personally would set up a burner as the master on the
IDE channel, unless of course the boot hard drive was on the same channel.
I've seen many equipment rendered unusable by applying firmware updates -
and if you read the fine print that is usually is not covered under
warranty. I would tend to not go there unless you had a specific issue that
was covered in one of those firmware updates. If you do go there be sure
you completely understand the procedure before doing it, and I would
recommend being connected to a UPS in case of a power outage in the middle
of it.

2cents.

CD drives require drivers. Windows 98 already has standard ATAPI drivers
(for using it as a player), but I'm not sure about what might be
necessary for burning.

When you pull the drive out in order to change its jumpers (along with
the other CD drive) take note of the model number. Report back. (After
changing the configuration as I suggested in the previous post. Let's
get all of this under one roof and avoid confusion.)

--

On 3/3/05 6:51 AM India Time, _jane_ wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I have just installed a CD burner.
> It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
> Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
> If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player

What is in CD? I mean does it have mp3 files or audio file
or real audio file? What you see in explorer window as that
CD contents?

> and show that it is
> playing but no sound.

Did you switch the speakers on?

--
Rawat

On 3/3/05 7:29 AM India Time, _Gary S. Terhune_ wrote:

> Good for you! Yes, the burner *should_be* installed as the Master drive,
> *especially* if the other drive on that channel is a CDROM.
>
> Until you do that, I wouldn't try to deal with anything else you've
> mentioned..

My Samsung DVDROM is connected to the end socket of
secondary harness. G:

my LG CD Burner is connected to the middle socket of
secondary harness. H:

Is it correct positioning of master and slave.

My both drives are working properly and I am able to burn.
--

At bootup, it does show primary/secondary master/slave. But
is there any other method to find it within windows.

controlpanel-system-cdrom does not mention about
primary/secondary master/slave. or does it?

--
Rawat

Oh brother.
I am at the BENQ site right now where the drivers are kept.
It is so flipping confusing. It talks about Firmware this & Firmware that;
not to mention, Flash this & Flash that.
Why does it have to be so difficult.
It also wants me to go to a true Dos Prompt to run all sorts of
things, can someone help me out.
I still dont even know if it is supposed to have drivers, according to
device managers text anyway.
Here is the address of the site I am at:::
http://www.benq.us/ServiceAndSupport/Drivers/drivers.cfm?product=359#3
Mine is the 4816 and as far as I can tell it is the one with the "H" at the
end,
at least that is all I could find when I took out the burner just now.

regards Jane

> Hi again,
> I have some more information.
> In Device manager it has the burner noted as this::::
> "ATAPI CD-R/RW 48X16".
> The brand-name on the front of the burner is BENQ.
> Also, in Device manager under properties it says::
> "no driver is required or none are installed".
> Which is it? It needs them or it doesnt?
>
> regards Jane
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi to all,
> > I have just installed a CD burner.
> > It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
> > Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
> > If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player and show that it
> is
> > playing but no sound.
> > If I try to burn something using nero it says there is no burner
> > recognised.
> > On the CD rom that I have there are 3 sets of wires; 1 for power, 1 for
> the
> > rectangular slot, & 1 small one consisting of 3 or so wires.
> > (this one is plugged into the motherboard)
> > On the burner, I dont have the last one, could this be my problem?
> > I also went to 'instal new hardware' after I had installed the burner
> > physically and it didnt find it or bother with it. (if anything it
wanted
> > to instal a modem of which I cancelled out at that stage)
> > Does the burner 'have' to be the master and the rom the slave? or
> > is this not an issue.
> > Do drivers have to be installed for it? (it is on loan to me at the
moment
> > for back-up purpose) If it does need drivers I will have to go look for
> > them on the net.
> > Apart from that, it fires up just fine.
> >
> > regards Jane

Windows will supply drivers that enable the drive to operate as a CD player.

Nero will supply drivers that enable access to the device for burning CDs.
Windows doesn't actually know anything about burning CDs - it's entirely the
responsibility of the burning software to find the device and install the
correct drivers. Windows Add New Hardware will not help for the drivers
that the burning software needs.

The BENQ site is probably not useful for the drivers Nero needs. If they
are there you will see a comment indicating that NERO won't work with this
drive without 'special' drivers. BENQ devices are pretty standard, and
that's unlikely. The site might also have upgraded Windows drivers for the
CD-ROM device, but again that's unlikely. What is likely, and what you are
seeing, is firmware upgrades for the CD drive itself. This is a bit like a
BIOS upgrade, except that it's specific to the CD drive. I would be
surprised if they are referred to as drivers. If you can identify your drive
model number exactly then you should install these upgrades, as they might
relate to the problem that Nero has in identifying the device as a burner.

If Nero really does have a problem with this drive (I think that's unlikely)
then whatever you need is probably at the Nero site, not the Benq site.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Oh brother.
> I am at the BENQ site right now where the drivers are kept.
> It is so flipping confusing. It talks about Firmware this & Firmware
> that;
> not to mention, Flash this & Flash that.
> Why does it have to be so difficult.
> It also wants me to go to a true Dos Prompt to run all sorts of
> things, can someone help me out.
> I still dont even know if it is supposed to have drivers, according to
> device managers text anyway.
> Here is the address of the site I am at:::
> http://www.benq.us/ServiceAndSupport/Drivers/drivers.cfm?product=359#3
> Mine is the 4816 and as far as I can tell it is the one with the "H" at
> the
> end,
> at least that is all I could find when I took out the burner just now.
>
> regards Jane
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi again,
>> I have some more information.
>> In Device manager it has the burner noted as this::::
>> "ATAPI CD-R/RW 48X16".
>> The brand-name on the front of the burner is BENQ.
>> Also, in Device manager under properties it says::
>> "no driver is required or none are installed".
>> Which is it? It needs them or it doesnt?
>>
>> regards Jane
>>
>> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi to all,
>> > I have just installed a CD burner.
>> > It is set to slave and shows in in bios as exactly that.
>> > Something though, is not quite being recognised elsewhere.
>> > If I put a music CD in it, it will bring up real-player and show that
>> > it
>> is
>> > playing but no sound.
>> > If I try to burn something using nero it says there is no burner
>> > recognised.
>> > On the CD rom that I have there are 3 sets of wires; 1 for power, 1 for
>> the
>> > rectangular slot, & 1 small one consisting of 3 or so wires.
>> > (this one is plugged into the motherboard)
>> > On the burner, I dont have the last one, could this be my problem?
>> > I also went to 'instal new hardware' after I had installed the burner
>> > physically and it didnt find it or bother with it. (if anything it
> wanted
>> > to instal a modem of which I cancelled out at that stage)
>> > Does the burner 'have' to be the master and the rom the slave? or
>> > is this not an issue.
>> > Do drivers have to be installed for it? (it is on loan to me at the
> moment
>> > for back-up purpose) If it does need drivers I will have to go look for
>> > them on the net.
>> > Apart from that, it fires up just fine.
>> >
>> > regards Jane

The burner did _not_ get recognised by the BIOS. BIOS and Windows have
recognised a CD-ROM drive. Recognition in the BIOS and the installation of
Windows drivers and the Device Manager details has nothing to do with the
CD-writing capability of the drive. If it works as a CD-ROM then that
proves that Windows has done everything it's going to do.

The drivers to support CD writing are part of the writing software, and I
doubt that they could be sensibly extracted as a separate set of drivers.
If you try to use drivers from some other source with your Nero software you
are guaranteeing problems.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Hi Jeff,,,
> No, I didnt do any installing from BenQ's site, especially after
> reading a couple of other posts here.
> I havent yet re-installed Nero, it might just be a good idea to
> do it. At the moment I only have my original cdRom hooked up
> as you will see why by another post I just sent.
> The chap that lent me the burner is not available until monday,
> at college. I think it may be a good idea if I just get him to copy
> his drivers to a floppy and then use them. (I have to admit, I am
> still not 100% sure as to whether I need drivers as the burner
> actually did get recognised by bios & etc, plus Device manager
> didnt say for sure that it needed any.
> I dont think I will be doing any more on it today, my thumb is
> sore from pulling out the flipping connectors....(see other post)

Hi Jeff,,,,,
I havent done anything yet, merely swapped the two units
master and slave option.
I havent downloaded or tried to instal any drivers at all.
I already thought windows had done as much as it was going to
when it powered up the burner, plus it played the music cd even
if no sound came out.
My only real problem is the fact that when attempting to burn
something nero said it couldnt see any unit with which to carry out
the request.
I wont try to use any other drivers Jeff, I promise; I dont want
to ensure any problems.
Seems anything I touch always comes with baggage , yet the things
I usually attempt are generally considering normal ' instals, maintenance
procedures, or updates.'
Maybe its something to do with being a girl.......

regards Jane

On 3/3/05 4:07 PM India Time, _jane_ wrote:

> Hi Jeff,,,,,
> I havent done anything yet, merely swapped the two units
> master and slave option.
> I havent downloaded or tried to instal any drivers at all.
> I already thought windows had done as much as it was going to
> when it powered up the burner, plus it played the music cd even
> if no sound came out.
> My only real problem is the fact that when attempting to burn
> something nero said it couldnt see any unit with which to carry out
> the request.

Hi Jane,

Put a working CD in CDROM and Burner one by one.

check the contents of either CD in windows explorer.

Are you able to see the same contents in both drives?

If yes, then, your CDROM and CDBURNER are recognized by
windows and are working normally.

Then comes the problem of burning not burning. That zeroes
down to CD burning software.

> I wont try to use any other drivers Jeff, I promise; I dont want
> to ensure any problems.
> Seems anything I touch always comes with baggage , yet the things
> I usually attempt are generally considering normal ' instals, maintenance
> procedures, or updates.'
> Maybe its something to do with being a girl.......

You mean problem attracts problem?

just kidding. (hiding to avoid pelted stones)

> regards Jane

On a serious note, there is nothing wrong with the problems
you are facing.

To me it seems that you are a curious human being hence you
go deep into any issue which others might take for granted
or might ignore. Hence you are "noticing" more problems.

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>The burner did _not_ get recognised by the BIOS. BIOS and Windows have
>>recognised a CD-ROM drive. Recognition in the BIOS and the installation of
>>Windows drivers and the Device Manager details has nothing to do with the
>>CD-writing capability of the drive. If it works as a CD-ROM then that
>>proves that Windows has done everything it's going to do.
>>
>>The drivers to support CD writing are part of the writing software, and I
>>doubt that they could be sensibly extracted as a separate set of drivers.
>>If you try to use drivers from some other source with your Nero software
>
> you
>
>>are guaranteeing problems.
>>--
>>Jeff Richards
>>MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>>"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi Jeff,,,
>>>No, I didnt do any installing from BenQ's site, especially after
>>>reading a couple of other posts here.
>>>I havent yet re-installed Nero, it might just be a good idea to
>>>do it. At the moment I only have my original cdRom hooked up
>>>as you will see why by another post I just sent.
>>>The chap that lent me the burner is not available until monday,
>>>at college. I think it may be a good idea if I just get him to copy
>>>his drivers to a floppy and then use them. (I have to admit, I am
>>>still not 100% sure as to whether I need drivers as the burner
>>>actually did get recognised by bios & etc, plus Device manager
>>>didnt say for sure that it needed any.
>>>I dont think I will be doing any more on it today, my thumb is
>>>sore from pulling out the flipping connectors....(see other post)

--
Rawat

> the BIOS that is causing problems. Like DMA settings.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

Uh oh, I hope I havent been caught out on an *adjusment* I
made to this comp' 3 months ago.
When you mentioned DMA above it reminded me of it.
In Device Manager under 'system devices', then Direct Memory
Access Controller' then 'Properties' & finally 'Settings',,,, I put
a Tick in the "Reserve DMA buffer" box ands typed in "64" for the
Kilobytes reserved.
Now, I have never had a problem since doing this and was assured
it would free up the cpu a little and hence make comp run a bit
smoother.
I dont think there is a correlation between this and my burner problem but
thought I'd tell you anyway.
(I feel like a kid who has just been sprung for prank, yet I have kids
of my own........... he he)

regards Jane

Undo that change you made there. Also, in DM, try the CDRW drive with DMA enabled
and then with not enabled, on the Settings tab for that drive (you have to reboot
each time you change the setting and click OK all the way out).

What chipset is on your motherboard (Intel, VIA, or ???)?

What exact version of Nero are you using? Where did you get it? Did it come with
THIS drive, or another drive? In Nero, click the Help> About menu and post back
with the exact version number and any words after the number. You may be using a
version of Nero that is tied to one brand of drive.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > the BIOS that is causing problems. Like DMA settings.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
>
> Uh oh, I hope I havent been caught out on an *adjusment* I
> made to this comp' 3 months ago.
> When you mentioned DMA above it reminded me of it.
> In Device Manager under 'system devices', then Direct Memory
> Access Controller' then 'Properties' & finally 'Settings',,,, I put
> a Tick in the "Reserve DMA buffer" box ands typed in "64" for the
> Kilobytes reserved.
> Now, I have never had a problem since doing this and was assured
> it would free up the cpu a little and hence make comp run a bit
> smoother.
> I dont think there is a correlation between this and my burner problem but
> thought I'd tell you anyway.
> (I feel like a kid who has just been sprung for prank, yet I have kids
> of my own........... he he)
>
> regards Jane

HAGGIS

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

>> the BIOS that is causing problems. Like DMA settings.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> Uh oh, I hope I havent been caught out on an *adjusment* I
> made to this comp' 3 months ago.
> When you mentioned DMA above it reminded me of it.
> In Device Manager under 'system devices', then Direct Memory
> Access Controller' then 'Properties' & finally 'Settings',,,, I put
> a Tick in the "Reserve DMA buffer" box ands typed in "64" for the
> Kilobytes reserved.
> Now, I have never had a problem since doing this and was assured
> it would free up the cpu a little and hence make comp run a bit
> smoother.
> I dont think there is a correlation between this and my burner problem but
> thought I'd tell you anyway.
> (I feel like a kid who has just been sprung for prank, yet I have kids
> of my own........... he he)
>
> regards Jane

the 3 wire connector is to your sound card ...pick a CDROM to use it with
...if it is plugged into the other CDROM then you should here music when
using that one to play cd's....

as for Nero ...often the newer burners are not recognized and you have to go
to nero's site to get a file which allows the Nero software to recognize the
drive.
(i can't remember the exact file ...text i think ...i had to do this last
time i got a newer burner)

ahhh

found it........... http://www.nero.com/en/CDROM.CFG.html

If you have confirmed that the drive works as a CD-ROM (I think you have)
then that's enough for Nero to see it as a device. This is an essential
first step for other CD-writing software I have used and I assume it's the
same for Nero (although technically the device does not have to be installed
as a Windows device to be used for CD-writing). Nero then has to determine
whether or not it's a CD-writer that Nero can support. This is where the
firmware upgrade might be relevant, as Nero has to interrogate the device to
determine what features it supports, and configure itself accordingly.

So the order should be:
CD-drive firmware upgrades (if required).
CD drive installation in Windows as a CD-ROM
Installation of Nero

It's possible that the drive functioned OK without the firmware upgrades
with other CD-writing software, but it needs the upgrades to work with your
version of Nero. If possible, try installing the CD-writing software that
was actually installed with the drive. Remove any existing CD-writing
software before attempting this.

Baggage? The last CD-writer I installed was from Mitsubishi (a reputable
manufacturer) and was provided with Adaptec software. The packaged software
would not work with the supplied drive until a firmware upgrade had been
installed. They acknowledged this on the website. They must have known the
problem when they shipped the drive.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Hi Jeff,,,,,
> I havent done anything yet, merely swapped the two units
> master and slave option.
> I havent downloaded or tried to instal any drivers at all.
> I already thought windows had done as much as it was going to
> when it powered up the burner, plus it played the music cd even
> if no sound came out.
> My only real problem is the fact that when attempting to burn
> something nero said it couldnt see any unit with which to carry out
> the request.
> I wont try to use any other drivers Jeff, I promise; I dont want
> to ensure any problems.
> Seems anything I touch always comes with baggage , yet the things
> I usually attempt are generally considering normal ' instals, maintenance
> procedures, or updates.'
> Maybe its something to do with being a girl.......
>
> regards Jane
> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>> The burner did _not_ get recognised by the BIOS. BIOS and Windows have
>> recognised a CD-ROM drive. Recognition in the BIOS and the installation
>> of
>> Windows drivers and the Device Manager details has nothing to do with the
>> CD-writing capability of the drive. If it works as a CD-ROM then that
>> proves that Windows has done everything it's going to do.
>>
>> The drivers to support CD writing are part of the writing software, and I
>> doubt that they could be sensibly extracted as a separate set of drivers.
>> If you try to use drivers from some other source with your Nero software
> you
>> are guaranteeing problems.
>> --
>> Jeff Richards
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Jeff,,,
>> > No, I didnt do any installing from BenQ's site, especially after
>> > reading a couple of other posts here.
>> > I havent yet re-installed Nero, it might just be a good idea to
>> > do it. At the moment I only have my original cdRom hooked up
>> > as you will see why by another post I just sent.
>> > The chap that lent me the burner is not available until monday,
>> > at college. I think it may be a good idea if I just get him to copy
>> > his drivers to a floppy and then use them. (I have to admit, I am
>> > still not 100% sure as to whether I need drivers as the burner
>> > actually did get recognised by bios & etc, plus Device manager
>> > didnt say for sure that it needed any.
>> > I dont think I will be doing any more on it today, my thumb is
>> > sore from pulling out the flipping connectors....(see other post)

If the drivers are jumpered as master/slave the socket position doesn't
matter.

If they are jumpered as C/S with a cable select cable, then the socket
position determines the master/slave.

Many people have experienced CD drives that are sensitive to whether they
are installed as master or slave, and it's not a bad rule to install the
CD-writer as master. However, with modern drives I suspect that it makes no
difference.

The BIOS display of master / slave setting is accurate. The order in which
they are listed in device manager might indicate master/slave. but I
wouldn't rely on it.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
> On 3/3/05 7:29 AM India Time, _Gary S. Terhune_ wrote:
>
>> Good for you! Yes, the burner *should_be* installed as the Master drive,
>> *especially* if the other drive on that channel is a CDROM.
>>
>> Until you do that, I wouldn't try to deal with anything else you've
>> mentioned..
>>

> My Samsung DVDROM is connected to the end socket of secondary harness. G:
>
> my LG CD Burner is connected to the middle socket of secondary harness. H:
>
> Is it correct positioning of master and slave.
>
> My both drives are working properly and I am able to burn.
> --
>
> At bootup, it does show primary/secondary master/slave. But is there any
> other method to find it within windows.
>
> controlpanel-system-cdrom does not mention about primary/secondary
> master/slave. or does it?
>
> --
> Rawat

Stooopid stoopid stoopid thing.

This is 24hours later and I will try to answer all new replies that I
have just found.
First though, I have just put the burner back, but as slave due to
the freezing I had yesterday.

The burner itself is being recognised everywhere.
Explorer can see it, Device Manager can see it, Even I can see it.
In explorer, as I type, I have an autocad cd in the burner; and I can
go fetch any file I like from it.

In Nero, the first dialogue box to come up is one which states:::

*Choose Recorder*, and the option there is "IMage Recorder".
Under the heading of 'Adapter' in this same dialogue box, it says
"Virtual Device".
There is nowhere for me to select my burner.
If I get rid of that box via Cancel, I am at another box whereby I
have already selected the menu option of "CD-Recorder" and used
the AutoDetect feature. It wasnt greyed out prior to using it but now it
is, and this is supposesd to mean that I have given it all the
information it needs......... I even put the original Nero Rom in and
let it AutoDetect as it requested.
(also, at the bottom of this box, it just says "no recorder selected")

Next, I followed Haggiss' advice and clicked on the link for
the updated and placed it in the Nero folder. Here I unzipped the Config
file and let it overwrite the existing one.. it was quite larger too.
While all this has been happening, I have re-booted often as per
request from Nero's Rom during its updating stuff.
What is annoying too, is that when Nero's dialogue for burning
is up, I can see the burner on Gdrive and even select stuff to be
burned.
I have also tried it both ways. IE, putting the source cd into the burner so
it can burn to hdd first then request a blank cd to copy it
to......... no luck though.
I have tried the other way too, whereby I put the source cd into my
Rom and a blank into the burner so that I can just copy. I have
done it both ways before with my old burner, again, no luck.

Now, lastly, I havent done Jeffs 'update' firmware even though I was
at that site yesterday.
I think I would like a little more info on just what Firmware is and
what effect it will have on my comp as a whole. I dont want to do
anything that is sort of going to be a permanent change to my comp
as I have to give the burner back in a few days.

One more Lastly....... The setting I changed regarding the DMA
in Device Manager.
Glee, could you tell me why you said to change it back?
It has been like that for months, and the comp purrs along. (except
for that hiccup I had when installing the fans, but that was a different
issue altogether)
Is it not a good thing to relieve the cpu of some of its duties?
Thats what I got told, and hence made the adjustment.

tia

regards Jane

<sigh> Jane, I said to change the setting back to eliminate it as a player in the
current problem scenario, that's all.

You did not answer my most important question, tho:
In Nero, click Help> About, and post back with what is the version number and any
words shown after the number......and......where did you get the version of Nero you
are trying to use; did it come specifically with the drive you are using, or with
another drive??
--

jane wrote:

> In Nero, the first dialogue box to come up is one which states:::
<snip woes>

Nero is popular software. For two reasons:

1. "They" say it is good
2. It is versatile

With versatility comes complexity. IMO, Nero offers far more
versatility than most people will ever need or use yet they struggle
with what seems to me to be a needlessly complicated, non-intuitive
interface.

Dollars to donuts you could solve your problems by dumping Nero and
using another burning app. Personally, I favor the pre-Sonic version of
RecordNow which is the same program as CDExtreme but with a slightly
different GUI (both of which are very easy to use). One nice thing
about it is the ability to have file names up to 212 characters in
length. You can burn audio, video, data, ISO, Mixed-Mode and make boot
CDs and copies with it. You can get
CDextreme here:
http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/print.php?sid=113

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH wrote:

> You can get CDextreme here:
> http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/print.php?sid=113

BTW, it is only about 6 MB installed. Compare that with Ataptec/Roxio
or Nero. No packet writer either.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Hi Glen.........answers below

Undo that change you made there. Also, in DM, try the CDRW drive with DMA
enabled
and then with not enabled, on the Settings tab for that drive (you have to
reboot
each time you change the setting and click OK all the way out).
-----------

The DMA is enabled at the moment, and just like the 'other change' I made, I
would like to ask exactly what it is I would be doing if I dis-able that
function?
(No matter what, especially in Device Manager, I always find out first what
it is I am doing if I make a change)
--------------------------

What chipset is on your motherboard (Intel, VIA, or ???)?

The chipset is VIA.

What exact version of Nero are you using? Where did you get it? Did it
come with
THIS drive, or another drive? In Nero, click the Help> About menu and post
back
with the exact version number and any words after the number. You may be
using a
version of Nero that is tied to one brand of drive.
------------
The version is : 5.0.4.1 bundled.
It came with my original burner when I bought the comp about 4yrs ago.
(or should I say, it just came as part of the package when I got the comp,
and
not so much with the burner)
--------
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

I sure hope this helps you try to figure out what the heck is going on.
I dearly want to copy my Edrive so that I can at least load XP with a small
degree of confidence.

regads Jane

Hi Jane, answers below, inline.....

> Hi Glen.........answers below
>
> Undo that change you made there. Also, in DM, try the CDRW drive with DMA
> enabled
> and then with not enabled, on the Settings tab for that drive (you have to
> reboot
> each time you change the setting and click OK all the way out).
> -----------
>
> The DMA is enabled at the moment, and just like the 'other change' I made, I
> would like to ask exactly what it is I would be doing if I dis-able that
> function?
> (No matter what, especially in Device Manager, I always find out first what
> it is I am doing if I make a change)

**It disables direct memory access (or enables it, depending on whether you are
adding or removing the check from the box). Older VIA chipsets had problems with
CD-RW drives sometimes if DMA was enabled for the CD-RW drive.

> What chipset is on your motherboard (Intel, VIA, or ???)?
>
> The chipset is VIA.

**See above answer.

> What exact version of Nero are you using? Where did you get it? Did it
> come with
> THIS drive, or another drive? In Nero, click the Help> About menu and post
> back
> with the exact version number and any words after the number. You may be
> using a
> version of Nero that is tied to one brand of drive.
> ------------
> The version is : 5.0.4.1 bundled.
> It came with my original burner when I bought the comp about 4yrs ago.
> (or should I say, it just came as part of the package when I got the comp,
> and
> not so much with the burner)
> --------

BINGO. "bundled". You can only use that version of Nero with the drive it was
bundled with. It will not see any other brand CD-RW drive as a recorder.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> You did not answer my most important question, tho:
> In Nero, click Help> About, and post back with what is the version number
and any
> words shown after the number......and......where did you get the version
of Nero you
> are trying to use; did it come specifically with the drive you are using,
or with
> another drive??

he he,,,,,
I did, but its only just shown up.
While I am at it, I just recalled something that flashed by on bootup,
and I have also just found it in Msconfig under autoexec.bat, it
goes like this ::::: rem - Windows Setup - MSDEX/D:MSCD001 /V.
I know this is only a Remark, but why the heck did it get put im my
autoexec.bat file?

regards Jane