Reinstall Win98 - can't do!

The performance of my PC had been getting poorer and poorer. I'd
tried doing every kind of diagnostic and fine tuning I could think of.
I finally bought a new Dell PC. I'm trying to clean up my old PC to
give to a friend, but I've run into a major problem.

I was starting to delete all my files and reinstall Win 98 to the old
PC. I deleted a lot of different program files. I rebooted and came
up with an error message:

"Error loading explorer.exe - You must reinstall Windows"

This screen is followed by the message:

"A required Windows .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL was not
found."

I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.

I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).

I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
(assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my
PC?

Thanx so much for your help.
24 answers Last reply
More about reinstall win98

    Owlman wrote:

    > Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my
    > PC?
    >
    > Thanx so much for your help.

    When desperate do it KISS.
    You have a new box in your possesion so use it.
    Release, gently, the hard drive from the old box.
    Connect it to the new box as a slave. Make sure the BIOS says "hello" to it.
    Now depending on what OS is on Dell, if it is Win98 we are home.
    Go to DOS-prompt screen.
    Call FDISK and repartition your old drive. Depending on size only one or
    two partitions. Reboot the system.
    Back in DOS-prompt FORMAT those partitions. ( NO system and NO bullshit)
    Now navigate yourself to one of them and call "mkdir CD98"<enter> #no
    quotes.
    Put the CD in drive, navigate yourself to the new directory and when in
    it call the CD-drive letter, whichever it may be.
    A call to dir should display the contents of the CD. One of the
    directories is WIN98.
    Return to your empty directory CD98 and when there:

    <new-hard-disk-letter>:\CD98> copy <CD-reader-letter>:\WIN98\. <enter>

    It IS single dot at the end. The contents of WIN98 are copied to CD98.

    Done.

    Replace the drive back in old box, don't forget to reconfigure it as master.

    Boot from ANY DOS diskette that displays the A prompt. Call your hard
    disk partition, cd to CD98 directory and issue "setup"<enter> #no quotes.
    Take the diskette out, and do it.
    Have the code numbers handy.
    (If all your connections are OK Windows98 will find your CD-readers).
    And later when the OS asks for "The CD" point it to this directory.

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Owlman <owlman@cox.net> wrote in news:35rc21p51qnumdamhl2dk2lgl124aeg7je@
    4ax.com:

    > The performance of my PC had been getting poorer and poorer. I'd
    > tried doing every kind of diagnostic and fine tuning I could think of.
    > I finally bought a new Dell PC. I'm trying to clean up my old PC to
    > give to a friend, but I've run into a major problem.
    >
    > I was starting to delete all my files and reinstall Win 98 to the old
    > PC. I deleted a lot of different program files. I rebooted and came
    > up with an error message:
    >
    > "Error loading explorer.exe - You must reinstall Windows"
    >
    > This screen is followed by the message:
    >
    > "A required Windows .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL was not
    > found."
    >
    > I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
    > says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
    > it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
    > CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.
    >
    > I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
    > when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
    > that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
    > failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).
    >
    > I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
    > (assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
    > my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
    > primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.

    If you can, copy OAKCDROM.SYS from your floppy disk to the root of
    your C: drive.
    Add the following line to your CONFIG.SYS
    DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
    Add the following line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT
    c:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
    Then boot your computer to Command Prompt Only. The last thing you see
    before you get to the C:\ prompt is the drive letter assignment of your
    CD-Rom. If the letter is "D", then type "D:" at the prompt. Your prompt
    should then become "D:\". Make sure the Windows 98 CD is in the drive and
    then type "setup". As someone else pointed out, if you have problems
    installing from the CD, then you can copy all the installation files from
    the CD and then run the installation from the hard drive. To do this:
    At the C:\ prompt, type "md WIN98" <ENTER>
    Then type "CD WIN98" <ENTER> Your prompt should now read "C:\WIN98"
    Then type "copy D:\WIN98\*.*" (where "D" is your CDROM drive)
    This should copy all your installation files to the hard drive.
    When it is done, type "setup" <ENTER>

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    On 3/3/05 7:35 AM India Time, _Owlman_ wrote:

    > The performance of my PC had been getting poorer and poorer. I'd
    > tried doing every kind of diagnostic and fine tuning I could think of.
    > I finally bought a new Dell PC. I'm trying to clean up my old PC to
    > give to a friend, but I've run into a major problem.
    >
    > I was starting to delete all my files and reinstall Win 98 to the old
    > PC. I deleted a lot of different program files. I rebooted and came
    > up with an error message:
    >
    > "Error loading explorer.exe - You must reinstall Windows"
    >
    > This screen is followed by the message:
    >
    > "A required Windows .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL was not
    > found."
    >
    > I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
    > says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
    > it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
    > CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.
    >
    > I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
    > when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
    > that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
    > failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).
    >
    > I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
    > (assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
    > my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
    > primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.

    Yes, you can (and should) boot from win98 CD.

    To change the booting sequence,

    press del at the startup to go to setup menu

    select second option (the place where you saw the booting
    sequence)

    Go to first boot device

    press page up or page down or enter and select CDROM as
    first boot device.

    Save and Exit F10 Yes

    insert the CD

    computer restarts with cdrom as first boot device.

    If your cdrom is bootable it will boot, otherwise will give
    some error. Go get a bootable cd.

    If you boot from CD, it will list options.

    Select "boot with cd rom support"

    once it boots and comes to command prompt, find out which
    drive is having setup.exe and run that file.

    > Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my
    > PC?
    >
    > Thanx so much for your help.

    HTH
    --
    Rawat

    I got the Windows 98 CD up and running, but when it went to format my
    Hard Disk, it said:

    "Please insert the following disk in Drive J (or your CD-ROM drive):
    Windows 98 Boot Disk or CD-ROM
    When you are ready to continue, press ENTER"

    Drive J is my CD-ROM drive, but when I press ENTER, it just repeats
    the same message as above--not recognizing the Windows 98 disk. I'm
    assuming tht when it asks for the Windows 98 Boot disk that it's
    referring to the same disk original Win 98SE disk that got me thus
    far?

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:49:26 +0530, V S Rawat <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com>
    wrote:

    >On 3/3/05 7:35 AM India Time, _Owlman_ wrote:
    >
    >> The performance of my PC had been getting poorer and poorer. I'd
    >> tried doing every kind of diagnostic and fine tuning I could think of.
    >> I finally bought a new Dell PC. I'm trying to clean up my old PC to
    >> give to a friend, but I've run into a major problem.
    >>
    >> I was starting to delete all my files and reinstall Win 98 to the old
    >> PC. I deleted a lot of different program files. I rebooted and came
    >> up with an error message:
    >>
    >> "Error loading explorer.exe - You must reinstall Windows"
    >>
    >> This screen is followed by the message:
    >>
    >> "A required Windows .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL was not
    >> found."
    >>
    >> I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
    >> says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
    >> it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
    >> CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.
    >>
    >> I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
    >> when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
    >> that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
    >> failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).
    >>
    >> I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
    >> (assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
    >> my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
    >> primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.
    >
    >Yes, you can (and should) boot from win98 CD.
    >
    >To change the booting sequence,
    >
    >press del at the startup to go to setup menu
    >
    >select second option (the place where you saw the booting
    >sequence)
    >
    >Go to first boot device
    >
    >press page up or page down or enter and select CDROM as
    >first boot device.
    >
    >Save and Exit F10 Yes
    >
    >insert the CD
    >
    >computer restarts with cdrom as first boot device.
    >
    >If your cdrom is bootable it will boot, otherwise will give
    >some error. Go get a bootable cd.
    >
    >If you boot from CD, it will list options.
    >
    >Select "boot with cd rom support"
    >
    >once it boots and comes to command prompt, find out which
    >drive is having setup.exe and run that file.
    >

    >> Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my
    >> PC?
    >>
    >> Thanx so much for your help.
    >
    >HTH

    Well, I went through the process again and got farther, but after
    Windows had supposedly fully loaded SETUP, and rebooted, it indicated
    that an error had occurred and reverted to the previous Windows
    Registry--presumably the one that was causing all the problems. I'm
    now trying to repeat the whole SETUP installation to see if anything
    changes.

    If this doesn't work again, am I able to reformat all my drives and
    just wipe them out and start clean with WIN 98SE? Will the
    installation disk proceed without a previous installation evident?

    I'm crossing my fingers here!

    "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > Owlman <owlman@cox.net> wrote in news:35rc21p51qnumdamhl2dk2lgl124aeg7je@
    > 4ax.com:
    > > I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. . . .

    > If you can, copy OAKCDROM.SYS from your floppy disk to the root of
    > your C: drive.
    > Add the following line to your CONFIG.SYS
    > DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
    > Add the following line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT
    > c:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
    > Then boot your computer to Command Prompt Only. The last thing you see
    > before you get to the C:\ prompt is the drive letter assignment of your
    > CD-Rom. If the letter is "D", then type "D:" at the prompt. Your prompt
    > should then become "D:\". Make sure the Windows 98 CD is in the drive and
    > then type "setup". As someone else pointed out, if you have problems
    > installing from the CD, then you can copy all the installation files from
    > the CD and then run the installation from the hard drive. To do this:
    > At the C:\ prompt, type "md WIN98" <ENTER>
    > Then type "CD WIN98" <ENTER> Your prompt should now read "C:\WIN98"
    > Then type "copy D:\WIN98\*.*" (where "D" is your CDROM drive)
    > This should copy all your installation files to the hard drive.
    > When it is done, type "setup" <ENTER>

    Alas this will not work, because we are still
    logged to C:\WIN98
    which has no file SETUP.EXE
    This is in the root directory of the CD (so may
    be run from there, or else copied to copy D:\WIN98\
    to run from the hard drive -- recommended.)

    Owlman first posted that he wanted to reinstal
    from scratch. If so, he might be better off if
    (after checking his boot disk both loads DOS
    OK and sets up the CD drive) he first FDISKed
    the hard drive to remove everything, then created
    one big Primary DOS partition, then FORMATted
    it and restarted from scratch as recommended in
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Get a utility to create a new bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com. It will
    include drivers for the CD. Then boot to the new bootdisk and install from
    the CD. Note that this bootdisk may use R for the CD drive letter. If the
    install from the CD fails, try copying the installation folder from the CD
    to the hard drive, and install from the hard drive copy of the installation
    files.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Owlman" <owlman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > The performance of my PC had been getting poorer and poorer. I'd
    > tried doing every kind of diagnostic and fine tuning I could think of.
    > I finally bought a new Dell PC. I'm trying to clean up my old PC to
    > give to a friend, but I've run into a major problem.
    >
    > I was starting to delete all my files and reinstall Win 98 to the old
    > PC. I deleted a lot of different program files. I rebooted and came
    > up with an error message:
    >
    > "Error loading explorer.exe - You must reinstall Windows"
    >
    > This screen is followed by the message:
    >
    > "A required Windows .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL was not
    > found."
    >
    > I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
    > says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
    > it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
    > CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.
    >
    > I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
    > when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
    > that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
    > failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).
    >
    > I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
    > (assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
    > my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
    > primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my
    > PC?
    >
    > Thanx so much for your help.

    Thanx for the suggestions. I've downloaded the file to my new PC.
    Should I copy it onto a floppy disk (assuming I can get it work!) and
    try to load from there? Otherwise, I can't figure how it will work
    from a CD since I don't think it will boot from it, since it tries
    either Drive A or C first, then goes to the CD if they fail.

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:15:24 +1100, "Jeff Richards"
    <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote:

    >Get a utility to create a new bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com. It will
    >include drivers for the CD. Then boot to the new bootdisk and install from
    >the CD. Note that this bootdisk may use R for the CD drive letter. If the
    >install from the CD fails, try copying the installation folder from the CD
    >to the hard drive, and install from the hard drive copy of the installation
    >files.

    I did get the floppy disk to boot up the old PC, but when it finally
    came up, it was at a command prompt "A:\", not into Windows proper.
    It then said that there was a General Failure reading Drive A, and I
    was dead in the water again. I'll try rebooting to see if that works,
    but it doesn't look good.

    <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote:

    >Get a utility to create a new bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com. It will
    >include drivers for the CD. Then boot to the new bootdisk and install from
    >the CD. Note that this bootdisk may use R for the CD drive letter. If the
    >install from the CD fails, try copying the installation folder from the CD
    >to the hard drive, and install from the hard drive copy of the installation
    >files.

    If you are referring to the utility downloaded frown www.bootdisk.com, you
    need to run it in order to create the boot disk. Have a blank formatted
    floppy ready.

    You should start the installation procedure from the A: prompt using the
    command x:\Setup where x is the drive letter of the CD drive. This is
    displayed during the boot procedure.

    If you are getting device errors in drive A you may need to clean or repair
    the drive before attempting the install.
    --
    >I did get the floppy disk to boot up the old PC, but when it finally
    > came up, it was at a command prompt "A:\", not into Windows proper.
    > It then said that there was a General Failure reading Drive A, and I
    > was dead in the water again. I'll try rebooting to see if that works,
    > but it doesn't look good.
    >

    > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:15:24 +1100, "Jeff Richards"
    > <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>Get a utility to create a new bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com. It will
    >>include drivers for the CD. Then boot to the new bootdisk and install
    >>from
    >>the CD. Note that this bootdisk may use R for the CD drive letter. If the
    >>install from the CD fails, try copying the installation folder from the CD
    >>to the hard drive, and install from the hard drive copy of the
    >>installation
    >>files.

    When I have been able to get Drive A to read (about every other time),
    I ultimately get to an A:\ command prompt, but it doesn't recognize my
    CD Rom drives--"I" or "J" when I try to change to them. It does
    recognize up to Drive H, which are paritions of my hard drive. I also
    tried Drive "R" as you had suggested. Nothing comes up.

    I also got an error message while Windows was trying to load that the
    CD devices had no drive letters. I'm not sure what I have to do to
    get it to recognize my CD drives. Do I have to somehow fool with my
    autoexec.bat or config.sys files? It's been a long time since I've
    had to deal with those files.

    Thanx for your help.

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:45:39 +1100, "Jeff Richards"
    <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote:

    >If you are referring to the utility downloaded frown www.bootdisk.com, you
    >need to run it in order to create the boot disk. Have a blank formatted
    >floppy ready.
    >
    >You should start the installation procedure from the A: prompt using the
    >command x:\Setup where x is the drive letter of the CD drive. This is
    >displayed during the boot procedure.
    >
    >If you are getting device errors in drive A you may need to clean or repair
    >the drive before attempting the install.

    There is also a setup.exe in the win98 folder.
    But you're right, he should start from scratch.

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in

    > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    >> Owlman <owlman@cox.net> wrote in
    >> news:35rc21p51qnumdamhl2dk2lgl124aeg7je@ 4ax.com:
    >> > I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. . . .
    >
    >> If you can, copy OAKCDROM.SYS from your floppy disk to the root of
    >> your C: drive.
    >> Add the following line to your CONFIG.SYS
    >> DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
    >> Add the following line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT
    >> c:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
    >> Then boot your computer to Command Prompt Only. The last thing you
    >> see
    >> before you get to the C:\ prompt is the drive letter assignment of
    >> your CD-Rom. If the letter is "D", then type "D:" at the prompt.
    >> Your prompt should then become "D:\". Make sure the Windows 98 CD is
    >> in the drive and then type "setup". As someone else pointed out, if
    >> you have problems installing from the CD, then you can copy all the
    >> installation files from the CD and then run the installation from the
    >> hard drive. To do this: At the C:\ prompt, type "md WIN98" <ENTER>
    >> Then type "CD WIN98" <ENTER> Your prompt should now read "C:\WIN98"
    >> Then type "copy D:\WIN98\*.*" (where "D" is your CDROM drive)
    >> This should copy all your installation files to the hard drive.
    >> When it is done, type "setup" <ENTER>
    >
    > Alas this will not work, because we are still
    > logged to C:\WIN98
    > which has no file SETUP.EXE
    > This is in the root directory of the CD (so may
    > be run from there, or else copied to copy D:\WIN98\
    > to run from the hard drive -- recommended.)
    >
    > Owlman first posted that he wanted to reinstal
    > from scratch. If so, he might be better off if
    > (after checking his boot disk both loads DOS
    > OK and sets up the CD drive) he first FDISKed
    > the hard drive to remove everything, then created
    > one big Primary DOS partition, then FORMATted
    > it and restarted from scratch as recommended in
    > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Try this boot disk:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bascon58/inq_results1.htm

    I believe that it would be in your best interest to format the drive and do
    a fresh install of 98.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > When I have been able to get Drive A to read (about every other time),
    > I ultimately get to an A:\ command prompt, but it doesn't recognize my
    > CD Rom drives--"I" or "J" when I try to change to them. It does
    > recognize up to Drive H, which are paritions of my hard drive. I also
    > tried Drive "R" as you had suggested. Nothing comes up.
    >
    > I also got an error message while Windows was trying to load that the
    > CD devices had no drive letters. I'm not sure what I have to do to
    > get it to recognize my CD drives. Do I have to somehow fool with my
    > autoexec.bat or config.sys files? It's been a long time since I've
    > had to deal with those files.
    >
    > Thanx for your help.
    >
    > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:45:39 +1100, "Jeff Richards"
    > <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>If you are referring to the utility downloaded frown www.bootdisk.com, you
    >>need to run it in order to create the boot disk. Have a blank formatted
    >>floppy ready.
    >>
    >>You should start the installation procedure from the A: prompt using the
    >>command x:\Setup where x is the drive letter of the CD drive. This is
    >>displayed during the boot procedure.
    >>
    >>If you are getting device errors in drive A you may need to clean or
    >>repair
    >>the drive before attempting the install.

    Did the boot process display any error message about the CD drivers? If the
    device is not functioning or is not supported by any of the included
    drivers, there should be a message that indicates the problem.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Owlman" <owlman@cox.net> wrote in message
    > When I have been able to get Drive A to read (about every other time),
    > I ultimately get to an A:\ command prompt, but it doesn't recognize my
    > CD Rom drives--"I" or "J" when I try to change to them. It does
    > recognize up to Drive H, which are paritions of my hard drive. I also
    > tried Drive "R" as you had suggested. Nothing comes up.
    >
    > I also got an error message while Windows was trying to load that the
    > CD devices had no drive letters. I'm not sure what I have to do to
    > get it to recognize my CD drives. Do I have to somehow fool with my
    > autoexec.bat or config.sys files? It's been a long time since I've
    > had to deal with those files.
    >
    > Thanx for your help.

    It never ends! After following many of the good suggestions made by
    those responding to my original message, I was finally able to get Win
    98 installed. Everything was looking great. The PC was restarting,
    but before it came up, the following error message was received:

    "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0032A86 in VXD IOS(01)
    0000146E. The current application will be terminated."

    That's as far as I could get. I rebooted and entered Win Safe Mode,
    which I was able to get to. I received a message that Windows can't
    detect and install devices from Safe Mode and indicat that I should
    reboot into Windows proper. While in Safe Mode, I did ScanDisk on
    Drive C, but it came up with nothing. I tried again to boot into
    Windows, but came up with the same error noted above.

    I'm ready to give up here, but thought I'd ask for any further
    suggestions. I thought about loading my Norton SystemWorks onto the
    system in hopes that it might be able to find whatever problem is
    occurring, but I'm not sure that will accomplish anything. I'm not
    sure it would work from Safe Mode anyway.

    I did reformat all the drives, so the only thing on the PC is what
    Windows 98 loaded.

    Hope there's answers still out there, but I think I may be reaching
    the end of the line.

    Thanx again for your suggestions, both past and future.

    On 3/3/05 10:33 PM India Time, _Owlman_ wrote:

    > I got the Windows 98 CD up and running, but when it went to format my
    > Hard Disk, it said:
    >
    > "Please insert the following disk in Drive J (or your CD-ROM drive):
    > Windows 98 Boot Disk or CD-ROM
    > When you are ready to continue, press ENTER"
    >
    > Drive J is my CD-ROM drive, but when I press ENTER, it just repeats
    > the same message as above--not recognizing the Windows 98 disk. I'm
    > assuming tht when it asks for the Windows 98 Boot disk that it's
    > referring to the same disk original Win 98SE disk that got me thus
    > far?

    I don't see relationship between formatting a disk/partition
    and its requiring a CD, let alone win98SE CD.It must not ask
    a CD while formatting.

    What do you mean by win98SE up and running?

    did you boot from this CD? How did you verify that it has
    booted from CD?

    did it ask you to have CDROM support, on which you gave yes?

    did you get a command prompt after booting, with a message
    about RAMDRIVE, etc?

    at the command prompt, did you find where is
    "format.com/exe" file

    did you give "x:format c:" command at command prompt, where
    x is the drive on which format.com/exe is there?

    if so, it should not ask for CD and should proceed with
    formatting.

    Please confirm that the above is happening. And do mention
    the booting sequence as I described in previous post.

    --
    Rawat

    My bet is: you're going to have to do a new and clean install of windows.
    Not a reinstall, but a clean install.

    On 3/3/05 11:30 PM India Time, _Owlman_ wrote:

    > Well, I went through the process again and got farther, but after
    > Windows had supposedly fully loaded SETUP, and rebooted,

    Setup requires three boots. If it has given that error on
    the first boot, then setup is not complete.

    It might mean that it has not touched the previous win98
    installation and has loaded it somewhere else, which did not
    get touched while booting.

    it probably booted to your previous installation.

    check the booting sequence.

    > it indicated
    > that an error had occurred and reverted to the previous Windows
    > Registry--presumably the one that was causing all the problems. I'm
    > now trying to repeat the whole SETUP installation to see if anything
    > changes.
    >
    > If this doesn't work again, am I able to reformat all my drives and
    > just wipe them out and start clean with WIN 98SE? Will the
    > installation disk proceed without a previous installation evident?

    YES. undoubtedly that is the best.

    But do exhaust all other options because reformatting
    implies lot of backups and restores.

    --
    Rawat

    Windows 98 installation CDs are generally not bootable. Some OEM CDs were
    bootable, but they generally used a customised installation procedure. The
    recommended procedure for installing W98 is to boot from floppy with CD
    support.

    OP describes it as an 'old P'' so it's likely that it doesn't have an option
    to boot from CD.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
    > On 3/3/05 7:35 AM India Time, _Owlman_ wrote:
    > snip <
    >
    > Yes, you can (and should) boot from win98 CD.
    >
    > To change the booting sequence,
    >
    > press del at the startup to go to setup menu
    >
    > select second option (the place where you saw the booting sequence)
    >
    > Go to first boot device
    >
    > press page up or page down or enter and select CDROM as first boot device.
    >
    > Save and Exit F10 Yes
    >
    > insert the CD
    >
    > computer restarts with cdrom as first boot device.
    >
    > If your cdrom is bootable it will boot, otherwise will give some error. Go
    > get a bootable cd.
    >
    > If you boot from CD, it will list options.
    >
    > Select "boot with cd rom support"
    >
    > once it boots and comes to command prompt, find out which drive is having
    > setup.exe and run that file.
    >

    >> Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my
    >> PC?
    >>
    >> Thanx so much for your help.
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Rawat
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I think? that's what I did. I formated all the drives, wiped them
    clean, and started fresh. I thought this would certainly do it, but
    it didn't.

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:05:56 -0700, "Bill in Co."
    <someone@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >My bet is: you're going to have to do a new and clean install of windows.
    >Not a reinstall, but a clean install.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Bill,
    I believe that's what was done as the OP mentioned formatting all drives.

    --

    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
    >>> says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
    >>> it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
    >>> CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.
    >>>
    >>> I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
    >>> when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
    >>> that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
    >>> failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).
    >>>
    >>> I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
    >>> (assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
    >>> my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
    >>> primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Sorry. My bad.

    Brian A. wrote:
    > Bill,
    > I believe that's what was done as the OP mentioned formatting all drives.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> My bet is: you're going to have to do a new and clean install of
    windows.
    >> Not a reinstall, but a clean install.
    >>
    >> Owlman wrote:
    >>> It never ends! After following many of the good suggestions made by
    >>> those responding to my original message, I was finally able to get Win
    >>> 98 installed. Everything was looking great. The PC was restarting,
    >>> but before it came up, the following error message was received:
    >>>
    >>> "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0032A86 in VXD IOS(01)
    >>> 0000146E. The current application will be terminated."
    >>>
    >>> That's as far as I could get. I rebooted and entered Win Safe Mode,
    >>> which I was able to get to. I received a message that Windows can't
    >>> detect and install devices from Safe Mode and indicat that I should
    >>> reboot into Windows proper. While in Safe Mode, I did ScanDisk on
    >>> Drive C, but it came up with nothing. I tried again to boot into
    >>> Windows, but came up with the same error noted above.
    >>>
    >>> I'm ready to give up here, but thought I'd ask for any further
    >>> suggestions. I thought about loading my Norton SystemWorks onto the
    >>> system in hopes that it might be able to find whatever problem is
    >>> occurring, but I'm not sure that will accomplish anything. I'm not
    >>> sure it would work from Safe Mode anyway.
    >>>
    >>> I did reformat all the drives, so the only thing on the PC is what
    >>> Windows 98 loaded.
    >>>
    >>> Hope there's answers still out there, but I think I may be reaching
    >>> the end of the line.
    >>>
    >>> Thanx again for your suggestions, both past and future.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Did it say anything about "initializing"...?...

    http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/
    Henri Leboeuf's IOS articles.

    Here is what I get at
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "While Initializing Device IOS"; Windows 98; Exact Phrase; Full
    Text.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263466&Product=w98
    Error Message: Initializing Device IOS Windows Protection Error
    (263466) - When you start your computer, you may receive the following
    error message: Initializing Device IOS: Windows Protection Error When
    you try to restart your computer in Safe mode, you may receive the same
    error message.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108&Product=w98
    Error Message: While Initializing Device IOS an I/O Subsystem Driver
    Failed to Load...
    (311108) - When you attempt to start Windows, you may receive the
    following error message: While initializing device IOS, an I/O subsystem
    driver failed to load. Either a file in the IOSubsys subdirectory is
    corrupt or the system is low on memory.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268084&Product=w98
    Error Message When You Start with More Than 2 Floppy Disk Drives
    (268084) - When you try to start your computer, Windows may stop
    responding (hang), and you may receive the following error message:
    While initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. You need to
    restart your computer.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    | >
    | >I can't figure how to reinstall Windows. The Microsoft website info
    | >says I need to be in Windows to reinstall it. Failing that, I can do
    | >it from DOS. I went into DOS, but in the command prompt mode, my
    | >CD-ROM and CD-ROM burners are not operative.
    | >
    | >I also tried my old 3.5" Windows Start-up floppy disk that I created
    | >when first setting up my old PC, but while it did reveal the files on
    | >that disk, it wouldn't boot from that disk saying there was a disk
    | >failure (this is usually my circumstance with floppies--old or new).
    | >
    | >I also tried seeing whether I could cause the PC to boot from a CD
    | >(assuming that the Windows 98 CD had the ability to boot???), but in
    | >my PC Setup, I'm not given the ability to have the CD drive as a
    | >primary boot drive. It only allows it as a 3rd in line boot medium.
    | >
    | >Does anyone have any suggestions how I can restore Windows 98 to my

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    With the machine off and unplugged remove/disconnect all unnecessary
    peripherals/hardware, ie: printer, scanner, modem/NIC, sound card, yada
    yada. Leave nothing attached except for the monitor, mouse, keyboard and
    video card/adapter.

    Boot to Safe Mode.
    Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig.
    Choose Selective Startup from the choices under the General tab.
    Uncheck all. Others may say not to uncheck system.ini or win.ini even
    though it won't make matters any worse, uncheck all.
    Click Apply > Ok and reboot.

    If it now boots to Windows go back to msconfig, recheck system.ini and
    reboot.
    If it now boots to Windows go back to msconfig, recheck win.ini and reboot.
    If it now boots to Windows go back to msconfig, recheck Load Startup apps
    and reboot.

    If at any time it does not reboot to Windows after rechecking, then
    something in the last rechecked category is causing the problem and you need
    to isolate it by clicking the tab for that category, unchecking half of the
    entries and rebooting. If it reboots to Windows then the cause is within the
    unchecked sub-categories. Recheck them one at a time until it causes the
    problem, then you have isolated the cause and can deal with it in a proper
    manner.
    If it does not reboot to Windows then recheck the unchecked sub-categories
    and uncheck the other half until you isolate the cause.

    If running Selective Startup and unchecking all in msconfig does not boot to
    Windows, then you need to look deeper in the case for a failing power
    supply, memory modules, cpu or even the motherboard. IMO you should test
    your memory first as a most probable cause.

    --

Windows