USB/Firewire card

I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6 pin
Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the Adaptec
AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I can't seem to find
my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these interfaces to be powered so as
to provide power to the device being cradled into the interface. New 'puters
with these interfaces are powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a
PDA, an iPod or the likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it
is powered. Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless
the card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course it
will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a charging
cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?

TIA,
DTV
4 answers Last reply
More about firewire card

    The charging cradle for a wireless mouse plugs into a conventional USB port,
    so why wouldn't it?

    Satellite Man wrote:
    > I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
    > pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
    > Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
    > can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
    > interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
    > cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
    > powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
    > likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
    > Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
    > card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
    > it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
    > charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
    >
    > TIA,
    > DTV

    A built in port is powered from the MOBO but a card is powered from the PCI
    bus. I think that drawing too much power across the PCI bus tends to make
    the 'puter unstable and therefore for anything more than powering the card
    itself the card would need a connection to the PS. I could be misled though.
    I'm having a hard time finding info on this issue on search engines. I'm
    sure there are numbers to represent the max power draw from these interfaces
    and it makes sense that a card with a PS header would eliminate any
    potential stability problems due to overloading the power capacity of the
    respected interfaces. What I want is a combo card that has a power header
    for both interfaces along with internal as well as external connections.

    HAGD,
    DTV

    Satellite Man wrote:
    > I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
    > pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
    > Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
    > can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
    > interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
    > cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
    > powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
    > likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
    > Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
    > card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
    > it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
    > charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
    >
    > TIA,
    > DTV

    OK, but I've already done what you're considering doing and it worked fine
    for me.

    Satellite Man wrote:
    > A built in port is powered from the MOBO but a card is powered from
    > the PCI bus. I think that drawing too much power across the PCI bus
    > tends to make the 'puter unstable and therefore for anything more
    > than powering the card itself the card would need a connection to the
    > PS. I could be misled though. I'm having a hard time finding info on
    > this issue on search engines. I'm sure there are numbers to represent
    > the max power draw from these interfaces and it makes sense that a
    > card with a PS header would eliminate any potential stability
    > problems due to overloading the power capacity of the respected
    > interfaces. What I want is a combo card that has a power header for
    > both interfaces along with internal as well as external connections.
    >
    > HAGD,
    > DTV
    > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > The charging cradle for a wireless mouse plugs into a conventional
    > USB port, so why wouldn't it?
    >
    > Satellite Man wrote:
    >> I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
    >> pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
    >> Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
    >> can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
    >> interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
    >> cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
    >> powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
    >> likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
    >> Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
    >> card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
    >> it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
    >> charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> DTV

    Have a camera dock on USB recharging and Digital video camera on firewire
    supplying power while the tape copies to hard drive at the moment, PCI
    cards, never thought about where the power was coming from till now,
    motherboard manual recommends no more than 150 watts from the pci bus,5
    slots, thats a lot of cameras 9.5watts max for DV or 2*AA(no watt rating on
    the camera case and too lazy to find the manual) batteries for the still
    camera
    http://www.techfest.com/hardware/bus/pci.htm paragraph 4.8 shows pci
    standard for boards rated at up to 25w per pci slot

    anyhow I think it should work for ya
    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    "Satellite Man" <nojob@breadline.net> wrote in message
    > A built in port is powered from the MOBO but a card is powered from the
    PCI
    > bus. I think that drawing too much power across the PCI bus tends to make
    > the 'puter unstable and therefore for anything more than powering the card
    > itself the card would need a connection to the PS. I could be misled
    though.
    > I'm having a hard time finding info on this issue on search engines. I'm
    > sure there are numbers to represent the max power draw from these
    interfaces
    > and it makes sense that a card with a PS header would eliminate any
    > potential stability problems due to overloading the power capacity of the
    > respected interfaces. What I want is a combo card that has a power header
    > for both interfaces along with internal as well as external connections.
    >
    > HAGD,
    > DTV
    > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
    > The charging cradle for a wireless mouse plugs into a conventional USB
    port,
    > so why wouldn't it?
    >
    > Satellite Man wrote:
    > > I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
    > > pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
    > > Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
    > > can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
    > > interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
    > > cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
    > > powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
    > > likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
    > > Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
    > > card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
    > > it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
    > > charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > DTV

Firewire USB Power Windows