USB/Firewire card

I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6 pin
Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the Adaptec
AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I can't seem to find
my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these interfaces to be powered so as
to provide power to the device being cradled into the interface. New 'puters
with these interfaces are powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a
PDA, an iPod or the likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it
is powered. Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless
the card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course it
will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a charging
cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?

TIA,
DTV

The charging cradle for a wireless mouse plugs into a conventional USB port,
so why wouldn't it?

Satellite Man wrote:
> I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
> pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
> Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
> can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
> interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
> cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
> powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
> likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
> Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
> card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
> it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
> charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
>
> TIA,
> DTV

A built in port is powered from the MOBO but a card is powered from the PCI
bus. I think that drawing too much power across the PCI bus tends to make
the 'puter unstable and therefore for anything more than powering the card
itself the card would need a connection to the PS. I could be misled though.
I'm having a hard time finding info on this issue on search engines. I'm
sure there are numbers to represent the max power draw from these interfaces
and it makes sense that a card with a PS header would eliminate any
potential stability problems due to overloading the power capacity of the
respected interfaces. What I want is a combo card that has a power header
for both interfaces along with internal as well as external connections.

HAGD,
DTV

Satellite Man wrote:
> I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
> pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
> Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
> can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
> interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
> cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
> powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
> likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
> Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
> card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
> it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
> charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
>
> TIA,
> DTV

OK, but I've already done what you're considering doing and it worked fine
for me.

Satellite Man wrote:
> A built in port is powered from the MOBO but a card is powered from
> the PCI bus. I think that drawing too much power across the PCI bus
> tends to make the 'puter unstable and therefore for anything more
> than powering the card itself the card would need a connection to the
> PS. I could be misled though. I'm having a hard time finding info on
> this issue on search engines. I'm sure there are numbers to represent
> the max power draw from these interfaces and it makes sense that a
> card with a PS header would eliminate any potential stability
> problems due to overloading the power capacity of the respected
> interfaces. What I want is a combo card that has a power header for
> both interfaces along with internal as well as external connections.
>
> HAGD,
> DTV
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> The charging cradle for a wireless mouse plugs into a conventional
> USB port, so why wouldn't it?
>
> Satellite Man wrote:
>> I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
>> pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
>> Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
>> can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
>> interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
>> cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
>> powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
>> likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
>> Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
>> card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
>> it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
>> charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
>>
>> TIA,
>> DTV

Have a camera dock on USB recharging and Digital video camera on firewire
supplying power while the tape copies to hard drive at the moment, PCI
cards, never thought about where the power was coming from till now,
motherboard manual recommends no more than 150 watts from the pci bus,5
slots, thats a lot of cameras 9.5watts max for DV or 2*AA(no watt rating on
the camera case and too lazy to find the manual) batteries for the still
camera
http://www.techfest.com/hardware/bus/pci.htm paragraph 4.8 shows pci
standard for boards rated at up to 25w per pci slot

anyhow I think it should work for ya
--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"Satellite Man" <nojob@breadline.net> wrote in message
> A built in port is powered from the MOBO but a card is powered from the
PCI
> bus. I think that drawing too much power across the PCI bus tends to make
> the 'puter unstable and therefore for anything more than powering the card
> itself the card would need a connection to the PS. I could be misled
though.
> I'm having a hard time finding info on this issue on search engines. I'm
> sure there are numbers to represent the max power draw from these
interfaces
> and it makes sense that a card with a PS header would eliminate any
> potential stability problems due to overloading the power capacity of the
> respected interfaces. What I want is a combo card that has a power header
> for both interfaces along with internal as well as external connections.
>
> HAGD,
> DTV
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> The charging cradle for a wireless mouse plugs into a conventional USB
port,
> so why wouldn't it?
>
> Satellite Man wrote:
> > I have a machine running W98SE. I'm searching to buy a USB 2.0 or 6
> > pin Firewire PCI card. I have found an attractive solution in the
> > Adaptec AUA-3020CS. This card has both interfaces on one card. I
> > can't seem to find my answer on the Adaptec site. I want these
> > interfaces to be powered so as to provide power to the device being
> > cradled into the interface. New 'puters with these interfaces are
> > powered so as to provide charge to a cradle for a PDA, an iPod or the
> > likes. I have been told by a Best Buy Geek that...yes it is powered.
> > Also, I have been told by my local shops' Guru that...no, unless the
> > card has a power supply header that it won't supply power. Of course
> > it will have Mobo power to the card itself, but I mean power to a
> > charging cradle or dock. Anyone have a clue?
> >
> > TIA,
> > DTV

Latest posts