Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 3, 2005 10:40:38 AM

Well I won't be attempting an upgrade to xp just yet then. We have only
upgraded at work due to support for our previous operating system being
pulled. So when there is no support for any of the 9x range does that
mean we will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the pc,
hence being forced into trying to upgrade or clean install to
xp(question mark). I personally am not brave enough to try a clean
install but can someone tell me if I were to do it would I require
additional drivers(for the basics on the pc excluding things like
scanners and so on obviously)or are all of these included within the
windows software(question mark)

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

More about : upgrade win98se

March 3, 2005 5:50:28 PM

I would have someone knowledgeable help you if you are not ready for a clean
install. A dual-boot is great if you are a power user and willing to spend
the time, money and effort to keep both sides up to date. I suggest having
two hard drives if you go dual boot and have C:\ as your primary (master)
drive with 98SE in Fat32 and the D:\ drive as your secondary (slave) [or son
if you prefer that wording <smile -- son just my idea] drive. Remember 98SE
limitations. AFAIK, it will not be able to run PCI Express and some newer
technology but it will run USB 2.0 with third party drivers. Also, 98SE is
limited to 137 gigabyte hard drive and you will need a controller card if you
want to get around this limitation. In addition, do not go above 512 mb's of
RAM (Random Access Memory) unless you have made the proper adjustments to
your system configurations. I do not remember the maximum speed that 98SE
can handle in megahertz but I am sure someone else knows and will post it
here. Finally, the most that Microsoft will support with 98SE is 1 gigabyte
of memory but some power users have managed to run their systems with 1.5
gigabytes of memory but this is not suggested by Microsoft and I would not
even attempt it unless you are a power user and even then don't expect
Microsoft's help if you end up having memory problems with your computer
because of the issue.

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lb8zy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1lb8zy@news.win98banter.com...
:
: Stanislaw Flatto Wrote:
: > PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
: > Gosh it sounds like a lot of hassle then. I was hoping to upgrade and
: > fingers crossed everything would work but I can see then two are
: > clearly very different operating systems. I think I will leave 98se
: > on
: > the pc for the while then. Basically I found xp more user friendly
: > than
: > 98se and of course nicer to look at. (we have just upgraded the pcs
: > as
: > work and so I use it daily now) Is there anyone here that upgraded an
: > encountered zero problems then.-
: >
: > Last I heard such one will be beautified by the next Pope.
: >
: > Have fun
: >
: > Stanislaw.
:
:
: --
: PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:00:38 AM

PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:
> Well I won't be attempting an upgrade to xp just yet then.

> So when there is no support for any of the 9x range does that
> mean we will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the pc,
> hence being forced into trying to upgrade or clean install to
> xp(question mark).

It all depends if you do some work on your box or just keep it as a
reference for "groupie gossip" what kind of latest "upgrade" gives you
"the shits".
The many milions who still gaze on this OS in hundreds of languages and
fonts are NOT going to "upgrade" even if it is NOT supported (whatever
this means).
And as I said before, look around you, for sure you have someplace an
inherited grandma's spoon which is used and the taste of the soup is
what matters.

Have fun

Stanislaw.
Related resources
March 4, 2005 5:00:39 AM

After 30 June 2006, then 98, 98SE and ME will be unsupported meaning that
there will not be any more critical updates for these operating systems.

"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
:
:
: PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:
[...]
March 4, 2005 5:00:40 AM

Yes, and the world will come to an end. How will we survive?

Dan wrote:
> After 30 June 2006, then 98, 98SE and ME will be unsupported meaning that
> there will not be any more critical updates for these operating systems.
>
> "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
>>

>> PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:
>>> Well I won't be attempting an upgrade to xp just yet then.
>>
>>> So when there is no support for any of the 9x range does that
>>> mean we will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the pc,
>>> hence being forced into trying to upgrade or clean install to
>>> xp(question mark).
>>
>> It all depends if you do some work on your box or just keep it as a
>> reference for "groupie gossip" what kind of latest "upgrade" gives you
>> "the shits".
>> The many milions who still gaze on this OS in hundreds of languages and
>> fonts are NOT going to "upgrade" even if it is NOT supported (whatever
>> this means).
>> And as I said before, look around you, for sure you have someplace an
>> inherited grandma's spoon which is used and the taste of the soup is
>> what matters.
>>
>> Have fun
>>
>> Stanislaw.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:51:54 PM

Bill in Co. wrote:
> Yes, and the world will come to an end. How will we survive?

Harsh decisions with OS/2, Mac OS-X, Solaris, and about 300 Linux
distributions on the free for taking market.
But they are mostly unsupported, "use at your own risk", and yet enjoy a
growing crowd of users.
Humanity still belongs to "homo sapiens, sapiens" variety and may
survive a little longer.

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
March 4, 2005 12:51:55 PM

The question I ponder is why Microsoft is so adament about trying to kill off
the 9x line when consumers have clearly shown how they like 98SE. Even
businesses like 98SE. I know supporting two lines of code is expensive but
as a shareholder I ask myself is Microsoft willing to take the gamble and
risk losing even more market share to competing operating systems, office
products and as already is being shown alternative browsers such as the
open-source Mozilla Firefox which allows at least 256 bit encryption while
Internet Explorer is back in the Dark Ages with only 128 bit encryption.
Also, Mozilla Firefox has tabbed browsing -- a nice and useful feature as
well as not having to deal with Active X security issues. I think Microsoft
needs to swallow their pride and realize Active X is too vulnerable as well
as BlueTooth being too vulnerable to hack attempts and Microsoft needs to
come up with a superior alternative or someone else eventually will. As Far
as support issues are concerned, Microsoft is GREAT because they have these
newsgroups, many technical articles, and have been helpful at least to me on
the telephone as well as by e-mail and I have even one postal letter from
them that I value greatly and may even frame one day. Take Care!

: Bill in Co. wrote:
: > Yes, and the world will come to an end. How will we survive?
:
: Harsh decisions with OS/2, Mac OS-X, Solaris, and about 300 Linux
: distributions on the free for taking market.
: But they are mostly unsupported, "use at your own risk", and yet enjoy a
: growing crowd of users.
: Humanity still belongs to "homo sapiens, sapiens" variety and may
: survive a little longer.
:
: Have fun
:
: Stanislaw
: Slack user from Ulladulla.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:01:59 AM

Dan wrote:
> The question I ponder is why Microsoft is so adament about trying to kill off
> the 9x line when consumers have clearly shown how they like 98SE. Even
> businesses like 98SE. I know supporting two lines of code is expensive but
> as a shareholder I ask myself is Microsoft willing to take the gamble
Consumers, who?
About a generation ago, twenty something years, IBM came out with a
"toy", free from patents (compared to Apple), so Formosa (today's
Taiwan) flooded the market with "IBM compatibles".
At the time one Bill Gates was still writing lines of code to make this
toy usable and Disk Operating System was born. (Actually those were
tripplets - IBM-DOS, MS-DOS and Digital Research - DOS).
But Bill was writing and compiling on some mainframe which utilised some
flavor of "multiuser, multitasking" OS and it stuck with him.
So few years later Microsoft came out, with great fanfare, with New
Technology OS and when introducing it Bill declared "NT is a weak Unix".
It might have been a political decision not to follow the "Unix way"
which declares "create an app that does ONE job, but does it well!", and
to try to combine a whole sets of applications that interact in every
possible way.
So the finished system is prone to failures as users differ in their usages.
And the dual line of codes is with us from Win3 to WinME for more than a
decade.
In the meantime some computer student wrote some code to copy the
behaviour of his Unix universitaic mainframe on his desktop "IBM
compatible" put the result on internet and Linux came to life.
So life became difficult for accounting and marketing branches of
Microsoft and they start cutting corners.
Consumers, what about them?

Have fun

Stanislaw
Linux user No.162760
March 5, 2005 12:56:14 PM

The advantage of being a Microsoft user is that it is easy to get lots of
support from Microsoft newsgroups, from technical articles on the Internet,
from other places on the Internet, etc. Microsoft even provides support and
will provide great support if the user understands computers and operating
systems that will allow the Microsoft Technician to talk on a technical
level. I have not tried Linux but I thank you for providing some history
into Linux and Microsoft. Have a great day and enjoy this web-link about
Steve Ballmer that is from Microsoft's early days and it reminds me of a used
car salesperson. No offense, Steve but it is funny and laughter is the spice
of life.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/sellswindows.php

"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
: