Can anyone help on texture conversion please?

Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 8:01:26 PM

I originally posted this for Barry as he has used the utility mentioned but
he's obviously not able to respond yet so can anyone else help, please?

I've d/loaded DXTBmp together with the necessary DLL set and I've realised
how little I know. I thought that the 32 bit texture files could be
converted to DXT3 but when I do that they get a .dds extension and will not
work in FS9. I have tried saving them as extended bitmaps instead without
the mip option and they do seem to load quicker and look fine but am I doing
it correctly or is there something I've missed? Because I only want to
convert I'm using the default Paint editor. The help file doesn't do it for
me which is probably a factor of my ignorance of this complex subject. :0))

Thanks.

Iain

More about : texture conversion

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 8:01:27 PM

Iain Smith <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I originally posted this for Barry as he has used the utility mentioned but
> he's obviously not able to respond yet so can anyone else help, please?

Take a look at Tom Gibson's repaint tutorial:

http://www.calclassic.com/repaint.htm

This is what taught me how to repaint and convert textures using DXTbmp.
At first glance I would say you are very close, but simply not choosing the
correct Save options when you are saving the textures.

--
Peter

July 14, 2005 8:01:27 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:01:26 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
<iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>I originally posted this for Barry as he has used the utility mentioned but
>he's obviously not able to respond yet so can anyone else help, please?
>
>I've d/loaded DXTBmp together with the necessary DLL set and I've realised
>how little I know. I thought that the 32 bit texture files could be
>converted to DXT3 but when I do that they get a .dds extension and will not
>work in FS9. I have tried saving them as extended bitmaps instead without
>the mip option and they do seem to load quicker and look fine but am I doing
>it correctly or is there something I've missed? Because I only want to
>convert I'm using the default Paint editor. The help file doesn't do it for
>me which is probably a factor of my ignorance of this complex subject. :0))
>
>Thanks.

Iain.. it should work without much (if any) difficulty. DXTBmp is the
`easier to use that Imagetool' texture utility for FlightSim. 32-bit
textures will work in the Sim but are BIG, 4-5MB each. Also should
be able to export DXT3 and have a .bmp file extension. Even DXT1
works but in some cases the alpha channel may need to be flood
filled `all white' (255, 255, 255) so no visual anomalies result. :)

-Gregory
Related resources
July 15, 2005 12:47:26 AM

Iain Smith wrote:
> I originally posted this for Barry as he has used the utility mentioned but
> he's obviously not able to respond yet so can anyone else help, please?
> convert I'm using the default Paint editor. The help file doesn't do it for
> me which is probably a factor of my ignorance of this complex subject. :0))
>
> Thanks.
>
> Iain

Iain, look at this free paint program

Serif PhotoPlus 6

I does animations and performs many of the tasks the PSP7 does. It's a
little clunky at times but it is pretty good overall.

A review at:
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=...
says:
If Paint Shop Pro is a kind of poor man's Photoshop, then PhotoPlus is a
poor man's Paint Shop Pro! It's essentially a cut- down, no frills
image-editor that gives you most of the everyday tools you need without
fussy, handholding task-based interfaces.

Get it at:
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/def...
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
July 15, 2005 8:55:40 AM

Iain

1. Firstly save a copy of the a/c TEXTURE folder somewhere for safe
keeping - then startup the DXTBmp programme and deselect the tickbox called
"Mipmaps- include when saving". It is on the right hand side of the screen.

2. Before you start the conversion process - have a look inside the TEXTURE
folder of the a/c that you are working on and see if there are any large
files around 2-4 megabytes . It is likely that these will be the ones in 32
bit format that need converting. Go to FILE/OPEN and select the file that
you want to convert. The files that really need to be converted usually end
in T - and the name of the file will be something like Fuse_T.BMP ( short
for fuselage) or wings_T.BMP. Open one of these files - if it is a 32 bit
file and the size is 1024x1024, it is a candidate for converting to DXT3
format.The details of the file can be seen at the top of the screen

3. The conversion process is actually done by the programme during the
SAVING process. After you have opened a 32 bit 1024x1024 file , go to
FILE/SAVE AS/EXTENDED BITMAP - and make sure that you select DXT3 in the
"save as type" box and keep the same name as the original file. Click SAVE
and the 32 bit file will now have been saved as a DXT3 file. You can verify
this by checking the filesize of that file now in the texture folder - it
should be 1025 bytes- if it is 1366 bytes, then you have saved it with
mipmaps included.

Barry

"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D b628l$3rh$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> I originally posted this for Barry as he has used the utility mentioned
but
> he's obviously not able to respond yet so can anyone else help, please?
>
> I've d/loaded DXTBmp together with the necessary DLL set and I've realised
> how little I know. I thought that the 32 bit texture files could be
> converted to DXT3 but when I do that they get a .dds extension and will
not
> work in FS9. I have tried saving them as extended bitmaps instead without
> the mip option and they do seem to load quicker and look fine but am I
doing
> it correctly or is there something I've missed? Because I only want to
> convert I'm using the default Paint editor. The help file doesn't do it
for
> me which is probably a factor of my ignorance of this complex subject.
:0))

> Thanks.
>
> Iain

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:14:45 PM

Thank you Barry, Peter, Greg and boB for your helpful replies. I see now
where I've been going wrong! :0))

Iain

!