Add users in Win98

How can I setup users in Win98 similar to WinXP? I have a win98 system and
want to set it up so that I can have my own access via a password and give
someone their own access to their own space with a password but not give them
access to my stuff.

Thanks

Philo

"Dig" <Dig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I setup users in Win98 similar to WinXP? I have a win98 system and
> want to set it up so that I can have my own access via a password and give
> someone their own access to their own space with a password but not give
them
> access to my stuff.
>
> Thanks

first off ,all you need do is open the control panel
and you should see the icon for assigning users (just check "help" for add'l
info)

however i should mention that win98 does not have the security of XP
and even if you setup other user profiles, they will still be able to access
your
data

Dig <Dig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I setup users in Win98 similar to WinXP? I have a win98 system and
>want to set it up so that I can have my own access via a password and give
>someone their own access to their own space with a password but not give them
>access to my stuff.

You can't.

You can create multiple users using Control Panel |User Accounts (or
something like that, I don't have a Win98 system in front of me). But
anybody will still be able to access the computer by clicking "Cancel"
at the login screen. You can get around that by going to
www.dougknox.com, clicking "Security" on the left side of the page,
then clicking "Preventing unauthorized users from accessing your
computer". But once somebody is legitimately logged in, there's really
no way in Win9x to keep them from looking at *any* file on the
machine.

WinXP does allow you to control access to files on NTFS volumes.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)