Sign in with
Your question

Help!! Trying to overclock an old Intel 845G based PC

Last response: in Overclocking
April 20, 2006 6:41:45 AM

This PC is a branded one particularly an IBM Lenovo A30, others said this can be overclocked by using Clock Gen.

I searched the parts of my mobo and I have found it's PLL.
It's an ICS 950201 which is indeed under the 845G family. Clock Gen really pissed me off, there is no ICS 9502XX family found on the PLL setup.

it only starts at PLL ICS 9504XX which is for AMD K8s

my question now is, are there any 3rd party oc softwares that has the ICS 9502XX PLL option on it.
April 20, 2006 7:29:38 AM

Try downloading cpufsb. Its been ages since ive used it but i think u can use pll's or chipsets to oc it. there was 1 other I used that was called softfsb. Both of those were similar.
April 20, 2006 9:04:35 AM

ehhee.....you got it right my friend ICS that`s the clock generator...

don`t worry about the family ...even identical boards can have different clock generators..different chips...that`s the manufacturer development engineer who decides what chip to use or not .....

i personally had same rough times when i received two identical boards ...but one of it had a different bios ...the main bios...the old fashion 32 pin quad plcc was replaced with a different chip...and placed in a strange position...the new one had 2x4 pin...a spi flash memory 25lf040a..spi has serial in..serial out..clock...output enable....reset...write enable...and supply..that`s 8 pin...
the manufacturer decided to chance the design......but that`s their problem........

anyway....that`s one example

the ICS...i`m studying it`s block diagram now.......
it has..programmable spread PLL1..progammable frequency dividers.......so it`s posible for a third party software to access those and take action....

BIOS can access these programmable devices ... the problem is that different manufacturers have their different way of programming....all you can do is to access the BIOS and set whatever you can set regarding frequency and timings..........good luck my friend ...keep in touch.......that`s the way one engineer can think :D 
Related resources
April 20, 2006 9:24:16 AM

OC-ing is a nasty bussiness my friend ...you have to know all your components capabilities.........

you can oc the cpu you can oc the memory or you can oc the gpu.....
thereare bilions of pages that can be written here..you can start by studying other topics...for instance today there is a nice topic on CAS timing......there are also a lot of topic on OC-ing video cards......

i recommend leaving the cpu as it is (for now).....you can achieve an performance increase by oc-ing the gpu as well as memory
April 20, 2006 9:36:39 AM

845 series chipsets dont overclock well at all (apart from maybe the pe) and secondly chances are your cpu is a wilamette, good luck there, and 3rd since you have no access to vcore, ram or ratios etc you will only oc a max of like 10% and even then you wont notice a diffrence, not worth it.

Quote:
This PC is a branded one particularly an IBM Lenovo A30, others said this can be overclocked by using Clock Gen.

I searched the parts of my mobo and I have found it's PLL.
It's an ICS 950201 which is indeed under the 845G family. Clock Gen really pissed me off, there is no ICS 9502XX family found on the PLL setup.

it only starts at PLL ICS 9504XX which is for AMD K8s

my question now is, are there any 3rd party oc softwares that has the ICS 9502XX PLL option on it.
April 20, 2006 10:00:10 AM

My CPU is not a Willie. It's a 2.6GHZ Northwood...

My BIOS has no options for overclocking. No CPU frequency overriding capabilities!! So, I'm laying my hope to oc my CPU or mem to a 3RD party software.
April 22, 2006 8:13:54 PM

I used Clockgen on my 845 board. All I did (And keep in mind, I tried this knowing full well it could possibly damage my board... don't do it iunless you prepared to replace something, and I accept no responsibility here) was select the closest PLL I could find, which happened to be the ICS 9526XX series, used on the 865's.

I didn't expect it to work, but tried it anyway out of couriosity. It does indeed work, but don't expect anything dramatic... I bumped my 1.6 Willie up to 1.86, which equals a 16.25% boost... better than expected, but nothing to write home about; other than in games such as Civ 4, where I just meet the requirements, it isn't even really noticeable.

The bottom line is, without the ability to adjust Vcore, you aren't going to acheive much.
!