Microsoft Phasing Out Win98 !?

MurPhil

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer supports Win98
after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like me? Are we
going to be abandoned?

I have Win98 on a PII machine, and it continues to run beautifully for my
high speed Internet and multimedia work. To me it would be a real shame if it
suddenly became obsolete through the simple stroke of Bill Gates' pen. My
preference would be to continue using Win98 until my PC actually died,
especially since I'm a pensioner who can't afford frequent jumps from one
level of technology to the next "flavour of the month" that I won't ever need
or use if I live to be 150.

Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds or other user-community
strategies so that some of us may continue in the future to rely on Win98 for
safe and secure Internet and multimedia work? Is there anyone out there who
could please "set me straight" on this issue?
--
Tx ... Murphil

Extended support for Win9x (Win98, Win98SE and WinME) ends 30 June-2006, not
2005.

FYI:

Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Support
Extended:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

Also:

<quote>
Paid incident support is now available through 30-Jun-2006. Extended hotfix
support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on 30-Jun-2003.
Extended hotfix support for Windows Millennium ended on 31-Dec-2003. Online
self-help support will continue to be available until at least 30-Jun-2007.
For additional information on the type and length of support provided,
review the Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
Support Extended Announcement Web site. Critical security updates will be
provided on the Windows Update site through June 30, 2006. Microsoft will
not publicly release non-critical security hotfixes for Windows 98, Windows
98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition. However, customers may
request a non-critical security hotfix through On-Demand Security Hotfix
support, which is offered for these products through June 30, 2006. When a
request is received, Microsoft will investigate the issue and try to provide
an appropriate response to the customer.
</quote>
Source: ;LifeWin]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
(Footnote 17)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Murphil wrote:
> What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer supports
> Win98 after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like
> me? Are we going to be abandoned?
>
> I have Win98 on a PII machine, and it continues to run beautifully for my
> high speed Internet and multimedia work. To me it would be a real shame
> if it suddenly became obsolete through the simple stroke of Bill Gates'
> pen. My preference would be to continue using Win98 until my PC actually
> died, especially since I'm a pensioner who can't afford frequent jumps
> from one level of technology to the next "flavour of the month" that I
> won't ever need or use if I live to be 150.
>
> Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds or other user-community
> strategies so that some of us may continue in the future to rely on Win98
> for safe and secure Internet and multimedia work? Is there anyone out
> there who could please "set me straight" on this issue?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F654C1C2-0436-4775-A413-07BC076D8804@microsoft.com,
Murphil <Murphil@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer
> supports Win98 after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual
> users like me? Are we going to be abandoned?

Support is extended until June 30, 2006 which is over a year away. It does
mean that Microsoft will be abandoning you in those words but there will be
plenty of online communities which you'll be able to visit and they'll
surely have work arounds for the latest security threats and will continue
to help people. There's a lot of online computer forums and message boards
that you can find through a search engine. You have over a year to prepare
for this so you have time to look in a search engine to find the ones that
meet your requirements.

Windows 98, like all good things, must come to an end and make way for new
and improved things. Just like you can't buy very many OEM parts for a 1971
Dodge Dart you'll no longer be able to get support for 98 just as you can't
get support for 95 or 3.1 today. Mind you the Dart was an excellent
automobile just like 98 is a great operating system but newer systems run
better, faster, and are more secure (well, that's what they tell us anyhow -
there's a number of people who will argue with that and I expect that they
may have valid points but I'm just repeating what I've read and trying to
justify it for you) operating systems.

Eventually, during your life, you had to buy a new car when your old one
became too old. Did you wait until it broke down and then walk to the
nearest dealership or did you buy a new one when you found out that the old
one was aging to the point where there was going to be a problem in the near
future? If you waited then please skip that analogy :) But, I hope, that you
get my point.

However, the flip side of the coin is that you'll most certainly be able to
continue using 98. There just won't be any updates for it from Microsoft as
far as I know. Just as you could keep your old car running but it required a
bit of extra work and attention you'll be able to keep 98 running but you'll
want to pay attention to the different forums and to the latest security
threats. The price of computers has dropped quite a bit over the past few
years and a new computer (you can use your old monitor and keyboard and
other devices more than likely) will cost you probably less than 1/3 of what
you paid for your current system. Computers, like anything else, eventually
need to be laid to rest and new ones purchased if you wish to remain
current. Otherwise, you'll still be able to use 98 on your system - it's not
going to suddenly fail on you after this whole time - you're just not going
to get updates from Microsoft for it.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Murphil wrote:
> What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer supports
> Win98 after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like
me? Are
> we going to be abandoned?

Yeah. We're all going to die.

Actually, you get better support here that you would at MS.

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Murphil wrote:
>> What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer supports
>> Win98 after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like
> me? Are
>> we going to be abandoned?
>
> Yeah. We're all going to die.

All Win98 users will outlive all XP users who already have begun to fry
in the radiation of it. Resolve to live long enough for Longhorn, is
all! That's what me 'n Colorado are doing!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Murphil" <Murphil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer
supports Win98
| after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like me?
Are we
| going to be abandoned?
|
| I have Win98 on a PII machine, and it continues to run beautifully for
my
| high speed Internet and multimedia work. To me it would be a real
shame if it
| suddenly became obsolete through the simple stroke of Bill Gates' pen.
My
| preference would be to continue using Win98 until my PC actually died,
| especially since I'm a pensioner who can't afford frequent jumps from
one
| level of technology to the next "flavour of the month" that I won't
ever need
| or use if I live to be 150.
|
| Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds or other user-community
| strategies so that some of us may continue in the future to rely on
Win98 for
| safe and secure Internet and multimedia work? Is there anyone out
there who
| could please "set me straight" on this issue?
| --
| Tx ... Murphil

This *is* MS, <sg>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Actually, you get better support here that you would at MS.

MurPhil

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. You all make me feel much
better now.

I get what you mean regarding the car analogies. Like everyone else, I too
"trade up" when I think it's time. However, my personal philosophy in recent
years has been to keep my cars longer than most (until trade-in value is
virually zero), which probably explains my approach to my computer. I know
I'll eventually have to ugrade, but maybe I'll just wait for "the son of P4"
and "the son of XP". In fact, I'll probably wait even a little longer after
that for the break-in period to end, after the initial bugs have been ironed
out.

Regarding the suggestion that I replace Win98 with XP, I recently explored
this with the tech guys at Future Shop. They advised against it, saying I
wouldn't be happy with the performance because my IBM Aptiva is only a PII. I
think maybe they were just trying to sell me a new P4. I'm glad that I didn't
take the bait, at least not yet anyway; because, you've all convinced me that
this discussion group is likely to be around for a long time to continue
helping souls like me who insist on hanging on to their Win98s.

I've only been using this discussion group about a week now, but already I'm
sensing a real "brotherhood" here. You are all very upbeat and reassuring. I
look forward to continued contact with this group.

Tx ... Murphil

Murphil wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. You all make me feel
> much better now.
>
> I get what you mean regarding the car analogies. Like everyone else, I too
> "trade up" when I think it's time. However, my personal philosophy in
recent
> years has been to keep my cars longer than most (until trade-in value is
> virually zero), which probably explains my approach to my computer.

My car is a 1988 Nissan. Which works great. The old stuff is still
good! (including Win98SE).

I like to recall FDR, and "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
I, for one, ain't worried about the waning 98SE support.

> I know
> I'll eventually have to ugrade, but maybe I'll just wait for "the son of
P4"
> and "the son of XP". In fact, I'll probably wait even a little longer
after
> that for the break-in period to end, after the initial bugs have been
ironed
> out.
>
> Regarding the suggestion that I replace Win98 with XP, I recently explored
> this with the tech guys at Future Shop. They advised against it, saying I
> wouldn't be happy with the performance because my IBM Aptiva is only a
PII. I
> think maybe they were just trying to sell me a new P4. I'm glad that I
didn't
> take the bait, at least not yet anyway; because, you've all convinced me
that
> this discussion group is likely to be around for a long time to continue
> helping souls like me who insist on hanging on to their Win98s.

Unless you have a newer machine, that's probably damn good advice. Stick
with Win98SE (or if you must, buy a new computer with XP already on it).
But why?

5 or 10 years from now - that may be a different story. :)

Murphil wrote:
> What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer supports Win98
> after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like me? Are we
> going to be abandoned?
>
> I have Win98 on a PII machine, and it continues to run beautifully for my
> high speed Internet and multimedia work. To me it would be a real shame if it
> suddenly became obsolete through the simple stroke of Bill Gates' pen. My
> preference would be to continue using Win98 until my PC actually died,
> especially since I'm a pensioner who can't afford frequent jumps from one
> level of technology to the next "flavour of the month" that I won't ever need
> or use if I live to be 150.
>
> Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds or other user-community
> strategies so that some of us may continue in the future to rely on Win98 for
> safe and secure Internet and multimedia work? Is there anyone out there who
> could please "set me straight" on this issue?
> --
> Tx ... Murphil

"Don't worry, be happy!"
If, as you say, you are "pensioner" just take a slow look around your
room and notice the plethora of objects, serving you beautifuly, whose
manufacturers are "no more with us".
And BTW how much of the manufacturers "crutches" you use in everyday
usage of the "tool".
I use Win98 for "donkeys ears" and never had to relay on direct support
of Redmont.
So till 150, don't worry, this and other groups like it are still active
so "help is on the way".

All the best

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Well, it is their forum on their server, but the replies are certainly not from
MS....I know I am not getting a paycheck! ;-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> This *is* MS, <sg>.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, you get better support here that you would at MS.

That's right! NOW, some participants here may actually be computer
repairmen/salesmen in disguise & hoping your machine will crumble to
dust under your fingers. But generally it's like what you said! Welcome!

--
| Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. You all make me feel
much
| better now.
|
| I get what you mean regarding the car analogies. Like everyone else, I
too
| "trade up" when I think it's time. However, my personal philosophy in
recent
| years has been to keep my cars longer than most (until trade-in value
is
| virually zero), which probably explains my approach to my computer. I
know
| I'll eventually have to ugrade, but maybe I'll just wait for "the son
of P4"
| and "the son of XP". In fact, I'll probably wait even a little longer
after
| that for the break-in period to end, after the initial bugs have been
ironed
| out.
|
| Regarding the suggestion that I replace Win98 with XP, I recently
explored
| this with the tech guys at Future Shop. They advised against it,
saying I
| wouldn't be happy with the performance because my IBM Aptiva is only a
PII. I
| think maybe they were just trying to sell me a new P4. I'm glad that I
didn't
| take the bait, at least not yet anyway; because, you've all convinced
me that
| this discussion group is likely to be around for a long time to
continue
| helping souls like me who insist on hanging on to their Win98s.
|
| I've only been using this discussion group about a week now, but
already I'm
| sensing a real "brotherhood" here. You are all very upbeat and
reassuring. I
| look forward to continued contact with this group.
|
| Tx ... Murphil
|

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > All Win98 users will outlive all XP users who already have begun to
fry
| > in the radiation of it. Resolve to live long enough for Longhorn, is
| > all! That's what me 'n Colorado are doing!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Murphil" <Murphil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer
| > supports Win98
| > | after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like
me?
| > Are we
| > | going to be abandoned?
| > |
| > | I have Win98 on a PII machine, and it continues to run beautifully
for
| > my
| > | high speed Internet and multimedia work. To me it would be a real
| > shame if it
| > | suddenly became obsolete through the simple stroke of Bill Gates'
pen.
| > My
| > | preference would be to continue using Win98 until my PC actually
died,
| > | especially since I'm a pensioner who can't afford frequent jumps
from
| > one
| > | level of technology to the next "flavour of the month" that I
won't
| > ever need
| > | or use if I live to be 150.
| > |

On 3/3/05 11:29 PM India Time, _Murphil_ wrote:

> What's going to happen to Win98 users when Microsoft no longer supports Win98
> after this June!? What exactly will it mean to casual users like me? Are we
> going to be abandoned?
>
> I have Win98 on a PII machine, and it continues to run beautifully for my
> high speed Internet and multimedia work. To me it would be a real shame if it
> suddenly became obsolete through the simple stroke of Bill Gates' pen. My
> preference would be to continue using Win98 until my PC actually died,
> especially since I'm a pensioner who can't afford frequent jumps from one
> level of technology to the next "flavour of the month" that I won't ever need
> or use if I live to be 150.
>
> Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds or other user-community
> strategies so that some of us may continue in the future to rely on Win98 for
> safe and secure Internet and multimedia work? Is there anyone out there who
> could please "set me straight" on this issue?
> --
> Tx ... Murphil

Dear Murphil Sir,

Rest assured, win98 on your pc will keep on working till
eternity.

Only microsoft will not provide any support, any security
patches, any updates, any info on win98.

Rest of the world will provide you support.

just curious. After you bought win98 CD, what support did
you recieve from microsoft? did you download any software,
any patches, any updates from microsoft? did you ever
contact microsoft call centre or customer care or tech support?

My answer is no for everything above. I installed win98SE
and used it only with non-ms support.

If your answer also is no, and you continued using win98,
that is the way it will remain.

For example, I think they should continue this newsgroup on
their server even after official expiring win98. They are
only providing server space and traffic facilities,
otherwise it is only individual helpers who are contributing
to this ng, they are not ms employees.

So there, such people will continue to provide support here,
or even if it is closed, to some other ng or other mailing list.

Have no worry, sir. You will not be affected the slightest.

And everybody agrees that win98 is the most reliable and
most stable of os that microsoft has ever produced. so it
will have least problems.

---
Just a clarification:

You have apprehensions, sir, that switching to a different
os (say, xp) might mean changing your pc.

My guess is (I request veterans to confirm or clarify) if
you switch to some other operating system (say, xp) you will
not need to change anything at all on your current pc. You
can install that o.s. on your current pc, and at worst, it
will run a bit slower.

So, have no worry, dear sir, that you will be made to spend
huge amount to upgrage or change your pc. You can continue
using that for ever.

Still, I would recommend that you get and install xp on it.
Just the software won't cost much, and it has its benefit of
making things easier for you. It will take a day or two to
learn some differences, but things will be faster, and
easier then onwards.

When Mr Gates has visualised and presented win98 that you
love so much, rely on his further offerrings to make the
world a better place for you only, sir.

--
Rawat

V S Rawat wrote:
> On 3/3/05 11:29 PM India Time, _Murphil_ wrote:
>

> For example, I think they should continue this newsgroup on
> their server even after official expiring win98. They are
> only providing server space and traffic facilities,
> otherwise it is only individual helpers who are contributing
> to this ng, they are not ms employees.

If Microsoft won't pay for the servers Linux will.

On 3/4/05 8:45 AM India Time, _Murphil_ wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. You all make me feel much
> better now.
>
> I get what you mean regarding the car analogies. Like everyone else, I too
> "trade up" when I think it's time. However, my personal philosophy in recent
> years has been to keep my cars longer than most (until trade-in value is
> virually zero), which probably explains my approach to my computer. I know
> I'll eventually have to ugrade, but maybe I'll just wait for "the son of P4"
> and "the son of XP". In fact, I'll probably wait even a little longer after
> that for the break-in period to end, after the initial bugs have been ironed
> out.
>
> Regarding the suggestion that I replace Win98 with XP, I recently explored
> this with the tech guys at Future Shop. They advised against it, saying I
> wouldn't be happy with the performance because my IBM Aptiva is only a PII. I
> think maybe they were just trying to sell me a new P4. I'm glad that I didn't
> take the bait, at least not yet anyway; because, you've all convinced me that
> this discussion group is likely to be around for a long time to continue
> helping souls like me who insist on hanging on to their Win98s.
>
> I've only been using this discussion group about a week now, but already I'm
> sensing a real "brotherhood" here.

I apologise to Jane on behalf of Murphil Sir.

> You are all very upbeat and reassuring. I
> look forward to continued contact with this group.
>
> Tx ... Murphil

How could you ignore her? :)

--
Rawat

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> And everybody agrees that win98 is the most reliable and
> most stable of os that microsoft has ever produced. so it
> will have least problems.
>
> ---
I would say by experience that XP is the better operating system, followed
closely by 98se.
=Pete

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry points by
hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else operating
system.

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
:
: > And everybody agrees that win98 is the most reliable and
: > most stable of os that microsoft has ever produced. so it
: > will have least problems.
: >
: > ---

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry points
> by
> hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else
> operating

Where do you get your info from? XP Pro is much more secure than 98 in any
flavor, period, end of story!

> system.
>
> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> :
> : > And everybody agrees that win98 is the most reliable and
> : > most stable of os that microsoft has ever produced. so it
> : > will have least problems.
> : >
> : > ---
> : I would say by experience that XP is the better operating system,
> followed
> : closely by 98se.
> : =Pete
> :
> :

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Okay, Brian you are right and I am wrong.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:%23YK5OqfIFHA.2428@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry points
: > by
: > hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else
: > operating
:
: Where do you get your info from? XP Pro is much more secure than 98 in any
: flavor, period, end of story!
:
: > system.
: >
: > "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
: > news:8u4Wd.9932$Lr3.1810@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
: > :
: > : > And everybody agrees that win98 is the most reliable and
: > : > most stable of os that microsoft has ever produced. so it
: > : > will have least problems.
: > : >
: > : > ---
: > : I would say by experience that XP is the better operating system,
: > followed
: > : closely by 98se.
: > : =Pete
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:44:32 -0600, "Brian A."
>"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message

>> Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry points
>> by hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else
>> operating

I'd clarify that into two points:

1) XP (both Home and Pro) have more entry points, thus risk: True
2) XP does not have an underlying DOS: True, but that's good :)

I'd re-phrase (2) as:

2) XP does not have a maintenance OS: True, and that's Bad

http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm refers on maintenance OS

> Where do you get your info from?

School of hard knocks? Can you say: Lovesan? Sasser?

Win9x does not have a single direct worm network attack, unless you
bind F&PS to Internet (Opaserv etc.) or run an SQL server (Slammer).

Any version of XP older than SP2 will be attacked within minutes if it
is installed as shipped and is connected to the Internet.

That's a very material difference in safety, which concerns most home
users more than security.

XP is NT, which was built from the ground up as a new post-DOS OS, and
is designed to be a network client. Unfortunately, it treats the
Internet as just another big network, and offers various services to
it that can be exploited. That's why it is "more secure"; it *has* to
be, given that by design, it takes greater risks.

Win98xx is Win9x, which was also built from the ground up as a new
post-DOS OS, but with a higher degree of backwards compatibility - in
fact, it still includes an updated DOS that can be booted instead of
Windows (though WinME removed this ability).

Unlike NT, Win9x was not designed first and foremost as a securable
network client. It was designed as a stand-alone OS that included
networking ability, but (unlike NT) there was no attempt to lock it
securely into this role. So yes; it's less secure, in that it cannot
be subjugated entirely to the will of a remote administrator. The
upside is, it doesn't allow entities on the 'net to remotely control
it by persuading the OS that they are the "administrator",

>XP Pro is much more secure than 98 in any flavor, period, end of story!

False.

Or should I say, out of the box, XP is a considerably more exploitable
OS, and this does translate directly into real-world mileage.

Don't confuse improved sysadmin control with consumer safety.

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!

cquirke (MVP Win9x) wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:44:32 -0600, "Brian A."
>> "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
>
>>> Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry points
>>> by hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else
>>> operating
>
> I'd clarify that into two points:
>
> 1) XP (both Home and Pro) have more entry points, thus risk: True
> 2) XP does not have an underlying DOS: True, but that's good :)
>
> I'd re-phrase (2) as:
>
> 2) XP does not have a maintenance OS: True, and that's Bad

Yeah, and that one scares me a bit, at least at this point in time. I've
had to go down to DOS on a few occasions, including reinstalling and/or
"fixing" windows, and losing that "maintenance OS" capability kinda bothers
me (even if you do have a "Recovery Console" in XP)

But then again, I'm quite content with Win98SE, so no problemo (for me - at
least for a good while).

> http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm refers on maintenance OS

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wow, thanks for bringing the truth to this discussion, Chris. You continue
to amaze me. You and Gary S. Terhune as well as Hugh Candlin make quite a
force to be reckoned with in the world of computers. Could you elaborate on
this one point for me a little more so I can understand it better. Thanks in
advance.

"Win9x does not have a single direct worm network attack, unless you
bind F&PS to Internet (Opaserv etc.) or run an SQL server (Slammer)."

I understood the rest of your points.

:
: >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
: Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
: ideal for experimentation!
: >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I agree with you, Bill. I also have had to go into MS-DOS to fix things that
I could not within the GUI (Graphical User Interface) of Windows even in safe
mode I have been unable to fix everything at different points in time.
Thanks Chris and Bill because I was at a lose for words to explain my
theories to Brian A.

: cquirke (MVP Win9x) wrote:
: > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:44:32 -0600, "Brian A."
: >> "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: >
: >>> Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry
points
: >>> by hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else
: >>> operating
: >
: > I'd clarify that into two points:
: >
: > 1) XP (both Home and Pro) have more entry points, thus risk: True
: > 2) XP does not have an underlying DOS: True, but that's good :)
: >
: > I'd re-phrase (2) as:
: >
: > 2) XP does not have a maintenance OS: True, and that's Bad
:
: Yeah, and that one scares me a bit, at least at this point in time. I've
: had to go down to DOS on a few occasions, including reinstalling and/or
: "fixing" windows, and losing that "maintenance OS" capability kinda bothers
: me (even if you do have a "Recovery Console" in XP)
:
: But then again, I'm quite content with Win98SE, so no problemo (for me - at
: least for a good while).
:
: > http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm refers on maintenance OS
:
:

Out of the Box wasn't even a thought and Dan mentioned hackers, not
viruses. Are you saying that a hacker has a better chance of compromising
an XP machine? An if so would that be based on code or brute force?

Even though the Sasser couldn't infect a 9x system, it could be run on and
used to infect the intended systems. I may very well look at it differently
and not as in depth as yourself, but in my eyes if it can run on and be used
as a portal I consider that as an indirect infection.

Wasn't the purpose of binding NetBEUI instead of TCP/IP on a LAN to help
protect systems which many most likely didn't do?

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"cquirke (MVP Win9x)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:44:32 -0600, "Brian A."
>>"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
>
>>> Well to each his own but remember that XPPRO does have more entry points
>>> by hackers and does not have a true underlying MSDOS or anything else
>>> operating
>
> I'd clarify that into two points:
>
> 1) XP (both Home and Pro) have more entry points, thus risk: True
> 2) XP does not have an underlying DOS: True, but that's good :)
>
> I'd re-phrase (2) as:
>
> 2) XP does not have a maintenance OS: True, and that's Bad
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/whatmos.htm refers on maintenance OS
>
>> Where do you get your info from?
>
> School of hard knocks? Can you say: Lovesan? Sasser?
>
> Win9x does not have a single direct worm network attack, unless you
> bind F&PS to Internet (Opaserv etc.) or run an SQL server (Slammer).
>
> Any version of XP older than SP2 will be attacked within minutes if it
> is installed as shipped and is connected to the Internet.
>
> That's a very material difference in safety, which concerns most home
> users more than security.
>

> XP is NT, which was built from the ground up as a new post-DOS OS, and
> is designed to be a network client. Unfortunately, it treats the
> Internet as just another big network, and offers various services to
> it that can be exploited. That's why it is "more secure"; it *has* to
> be, given that by design, it takes greater risks.
>
> Win98xx is Win9x, which was also built from the ground up as a new
> post-DOS OS, but with a higher degree of backwards compatibility - in
> fact, it still includes an updated DOS that can be booted instead of
> Windows (though WinME removed this ability).
>
> Unlike NT, Win9x was not designed first and foremost as a securable
> network client. It was designed as a stand-alone OS that included
> networking ability, but (unlike NT) there was no attempt to lock it
> securely into this role. So yes; it's less secure, in that it cannot
> be subjugated entirely to the will of a remote administrator. The
> upside is, it doesn't allow entities on the 'net to remotely control
> it by persuading the OS that they are the "administrator",
>
>>XP Pro is much more secure than 98 in any flavor, period, end of story!
>
> False.
>
> Or should I say, out of the box, XP is a considerably more exploitable
> OS, and this does translate directly into real-world mileage.
>
> Don't confuse improved sysadmin control with consumer safety.
>

>>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
> ideal for experimentation!
>>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 02:48:31 -0700, "Bill in Co."
>cquirke (MVP Win9x) wrote:

>> 2) XP does not have a maintenance OS: True, and that's Bad

>Yeah, and that one scares me a bit, at least at this point in time. I've
>had to go down to DOS on a few occasions, including reinstalling and/or
>"fixing" windows, and losing that "maintenance OS" capability kinda bothers
>me (even if you do have a "Recovery Console" in XP)

You can have the best of both worlds; the safety and maintainability
of FATxx with the stability and scalability of XP. Tips:

1) Keep C: as a FAT32 < 7.9G

This will ensure 4k clusters, which fit the processor's natural page
size for best virtual memory performance.

There are other goodnesses to a small C:
- keeping C: de-bulked makes for sustained performance
- faster defrag and Scandisk / Chkdsk / AutoChk for C:
- most writes, thus corruption risk, kept on C: (page/temp/TIF)
- as data is off C:, it's safer from file corruption

2) Install a Win9x DOS mode to HD

Easiest way is to format C: /S from a Win9x DOS mode before installing
XP; that way, the XP installation process will preserve the DOS mode
as a "Microsoft Windows" Boot.ini boot alternative.

3) Use DOS Mode Scandisk, not XP's file system checker

I suspect XP's file system checker is pretty useless on FATxx volumes,
because if you rt-click such volumes and go Properties, Tools, Check
for errors, it zips through the process so quickly that I doubt if it
does anything at all. I suspect this is where the XP vs. FATxx horror
stories come from; plain lack of decent file system maintenance.

4) Shrink Temporary Internet Files (TIF) for each user account

FATxx is less efficient than NTFS when it comes to large numbers of
entries per directory - and that's a big problem with IE's ludicrous
huge duhfault TIF size. Huge TIF also means the tiny files within TIF
get ancient before they are finally FIFO's out; hello, fragmented file
system! Note that TIF is repeated for each user profile.

5) Locate shell folders off C:

Now that you have volumes other than C: that are safer for data, you
want to relocate "My Docs" etc. off C:, and I'd also un-nest the bulky
"My Pics", "My Vids" and "My Music" and the dangerous "My Received
Files". TweakUI for XP can do this, but once again, it has to be
repeated for each user account - and any newly-created user accounts
will start off with MS's duhfault shell locations and huge TIF.

6) Use a compitent partitioning/formatting tool

XP is worse than useless when it comes to FAT32 volumes over 32G in
size, plus you want all volumes to be aligned such that if you do
convert to NTFS later, you won't be cursed with s-l-o-w 512-byte
clusters. BING from www.bootitng.com fits the bill on all counts; you
don't need to install it to HD, just use it to manage partitions.

7) Know the limitations of FATxx!

Choosing FATxx over NTFS is throwing away per-user security as a
tradeoff for better safety. Many of XP's per-user and per-file
security features require NTFS to work, and if you convert a C: to
NTFS later, the installation will not be set up with the appropriate
NTFS security attributes that would have been in place had you set the
system up as NTFS in the first place. Also, remember that NTFS is
required if you want single files to exceed 2G in size.

If you don't want to lose the security benefits of NTFS, but want some
measure of maintainability, you can use a hybrid approach; a mixture
of NTFS and FATxx volumes. For example, you can route all incoming
material through FATxx so that it can be virus-scanned from DOS mode
as a pointer to what may have infected the system.

You'd need to make decisions about C: as well as your data locations,
as to whether you want NTFS or FATxx for these. If you see value in
security settings that require NTFS in order to protect the OS, you
may choose an NTFS C:; if you don't mind losing the ability to recover
data via Diskedit etc. and want NTFS's security benefits, you might
choose NTFS for your data set as well.

There's still no interactive file system repair tool (like Scandisk)
for NTFS, but you can formally scan NTFS from a Bart's PE CDR and
Trend's SysClean that you can drop and run from a USB stick. Both
Bart's PE and Linux boot CDRs require USB sticks to be present at time
of boot, unlike XP which will detect them on the fly.

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"