HP Lazerprinter software install corrupted?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 3, 2005 1:46:19 PM

W98SE, HP LaserJet 6L
As the result of a cleaner utility today, I find I can no longer print anything.
I used the printer itself to print a test page, it was fine.

I reinstalled the printer software, after reboot, get the message "run inatall
software again" . Software screens are normal during install.

Restored registry from several weeks ago, drivers rebuild, still can't print.

I thought of registry editing for the printer keys, but a fresh install would have
cleaned that up?

Advice?
March 3, 2005 6:43:48 PM

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:38p49oF5qbnktU1@individual.net...
> W98SE, HP LaserJet 6L
> As the result of a cleaner utility today, I find I can no longer print
> anything.
> I used the printer itself to print a test page, it was fine.
>
> I reinstalled the printer software, after reboot, get the message "run
> inatall software again" . Software screens are normal during install.
>
> Restored registry from several weeks ago, drivers rebuild, still can't
> print.
>
> I thought of registry editing for the printer keys, but a fresh install
> would have cleaned that up?
>
> Advice?

which utility? does it have an "undo" ?it probably has removed files other
than the installed files you need
March 3, 2005 6:43:49 PM

Haggis wrote:
> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:38p49oF5qbnktU1@individual.net...
>
>>W98SE, HP LaserJet 6L
>>As the result of a cleaner utility today, I find I can no longer print
>>anything.
>>I used the printer itself to print a test page, it was fine.
>>
>>I reinstalled the printer software, after reboot, get the message "run
>>inatall software again" . Software screens are normal during install.
>>
>>Restored registry from several weeks ago, drivers rebuild, still can't
>>print.
>>
>>I thought of registry editing for the printer keys, but a fresh install
>>would have cleaned that up?
>>
>>Advice?
>

> which utility? does it have an "undo" ?it probably has removed files other
> than the installed files you need

I have more info. Control Panel, Printer, Properties:
It should list HP Laserjet 6L, it now says-
"absolutely bogus WPS Printer Driver" , don't know where that came from. If I
select HP Laserjet 6L from the pulldown menu, it says "printer driver unknown",
and I can't find the HP driver software in C, even though it was reinstalled today.

I can see the HP drive install screens, why it does not show up, I don't know.
a b α HP
March 3, 2005 6:43:50 PM

In Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs uninstall any software/firmware
related to printers.
In the Printer folders remove all printers.
Reboot.
Delete the contents of the windows\temp folder.

Since there is more than one series of the Laserjet 6L, select the one you
have here and download/install the drivers per HP's instructions.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:38pc5tF5op548U1@individual.net...
> Haggis wrote:
>> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>W98SE, HP LaserJet 6L
>>>As the result of a cleaner utility today, I find I can no longer print
>>>anything.
>>>I used the printer itself to print a test page, it was fine.
>>>
>>>I reinstalled the printer software, after reboot, get the message "run
>>>inatall software again" . Software screens are normal during install.
>>>
>>>Restored registry from several weeks ago, drivers rebuild, still can't
>>>print.
>>>
>>>I thought of registry editing for the printer keys, but a fresh install
>>>would have cleaned that up?
>>>
>>>Advice?
>>

>> which utility? does it have an "undo" ?it probably has removed files
>> other than the installed files you need
> I have more info. Control Panel, Printer, Properties:
> It should list HP Laserjet 6L, it now says-
> "absolutely bogus WPS Printer Driver" , don't know where that came from.
> If I select HP Laserjet 6L from the pulldown menu, it says "printer driver
> unknown", and I can't find the HP driver software in C, even though it was
> reinstalled today.
>
> I can see the HP drive install screens, why it does not show up, I don't
> know.
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 3, 2005 6:43:50 PM

How's about I hit send too quickly, LJ6L drivers:
http://tinyurl.com/5plwx

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:38pc5tF5op548U1@individual.net...
> Haggis wrote:
>> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>W98SE, HP LaserJet 6L
>>>As the result of a cleaner utility today, I find I can no longer print
>>>anything.
>>>I used the printer itself to print a test page, it was fine.
>>>
>>>I reinstalled the printer software, after reboot, get the message "run
>>>inatall software again" . Software screens are normal during install.
>>>
>>>Restored registry from several weeks ago, drivers rebuild, still can't
>>>print.
>>>
>>>I thought of registry editing for the printer keys, but a fresh install
>>>would have cleaned that up?
>>>
>>>Advice?
>>

>> which utility? does it have an "undo" ?it probably has removed files
>> other than the installed files you need
> I have more info. Control Panel, Printer, Properties:
> It should list HP Laserjet 6L, it now says-
> "absolutely bogus WPS Printer Driver" , don't know where that came from.
> If I select HP Laserjet 6L from the pulldown menu, it says "printer driver
> unknown", and I can't find the HP driver software in C, even though it was
> reinstalled today.
>
> I can see the HP drive install screens, why it does not show up, I don't
> know.
March 3, 2005 7:30:05 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:00:48 -0800, ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:

[snip]
>I have more info. Control Panel, Printer, Properties:
>It should list HP Laserjet 6L, it now says-
>"absolutely bogus WPS Printer Driver" , don't know where that came from. If I
>select HP Laserjet 6L from the pulldown menu, it says "printer driver unknown",
>and I can't find the HP driver software in C, even though it was reinstalled today.
>
>I can see the HP drive install screens, why it does not show up, I don't know.

Years ago I used to get the "absolutely bogus HP Printer Driver". (It
was "HP" in my case, not "WPS" as best I remember.) And, as in your
case, the printer would not work from within any programs. I never
found a definitive answer as to why the bogus driver showed up, except
that it was a bug.

I recall that the solution that worked for me was to uninstall the
printer with the bogus driver (from, I believe, Start -> Programs ->
HP LaserJet 6L Printer-> HP 6L Uninstall), reboot, then reinstall the
printer. Luck!

--
Luke
March 3, 2005 8:07:27 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:30:05 -0700, Luke <luke@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:00:48 -0800, ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>>I have more info. Control Panel, Printer, Properties:
>>It should list HP Laserjet 6L, it now says-
>>"absolutely bogus WPS Printer Driver" , don't know where that came from. If I
>>select HP Laserjet 6L from the pulldown menu, it says "printer driver unknown",
>>and I can't find the HP driver software in C, even though it was reinstalled today.
>>
>>I can see the HP drive install screens, why it does not show up, I don't know.
>
>Years ago I used to get the "absolutely bogus HP Printer Driver". (It
>was "HP" in my case, not "WPS" as best I remember.) And, as in your
>case, the printer would not work from within any programs. I never
>found a definitive answer as to why the bogus driver showed up, except
>that it was a bug.
>
>I recall that the solution that worked for me was to uninstall the
>printer with the bogus driver (from, I believe, Start -> Programs ->
>HP LaserJet 6L Printer-> HP 6L Uninstall), reboot, then reinstall the
>printer. Luck!

Guess it was "WPS". It's been a while since I dealt with this. Here's
some more info from a Google search:

http://www.rba.co.uk/tfttr/abbogus.shtml

--
Luke