Voltrack (04) error message

after installing CD-CD RW drive along with the software I receive the
following error message : An exception has occurred at 0028:C0049810 in VxD
vfat (01)+00007838. This was called from 0028:C183700 VxD VOLTRACK (04)
+00000430. Microsoft KB article 249824 was not very helpful. Any
suggestions. Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about voltrack error message

    If memory serves me right, this is a bad one (a really bad blue screen
    special).

    I think you can restore the previous day's registry (which will also
    effectively uninstall the CD drive and that software), and at least allow
    you to reboot into windows, and reinstall it again at a later time.

    IF you can do that, consider it. But the next time to try to reinstall
    that CD drive and its software, do NOT install any of the packet writing
    software that comes with it, if you have that option. (Like skip InCD, or
    DirectCD, or the equivalent).

    At least this is what I recollect.

    Sunshine wrote:
    > after installing CD-CD RW drive along with the software I receive the
    > following error message : An exception has occurred at 0028:C0049810 in
    > VxD vfat (01)+00007838. This was called from 0028:C183700 VxD
    > VOLTRACK (04)
    > +00000430. Microsoft KB article 249824 was not very helpful. Any
    > suggestions. Thanks

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "voltrack"; Windows 98; Full Text; produces over a page full.
    Here are two...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249824&Product=w98
    BUG: VOLTRACK Is Erroneously Unloaded After 255 Device Additions and
    Removals
    (249824) - VOLTRACK is unloaded and may cause Windows to display a blue
    screen after 255 device additions and removals.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197004&Product=w98
    Fatal Exception in CDVSD Starting Windows 98
    (197004) - When you start your computer, you may receive an error
    message on a blue screen similar to the following: An exception 0E has
    occurred at 0028:C143EADA in VXD CDVSD(01) + 00001CFA. This was called
    from 0028:C18413E8 in VXD voltrack(04)+ 00000A18. It...

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | after installing CD-CD RW drive along with the software I receive the
    | following error message : An exception has occurred at 0028:C0049810
    in VxD
    | vfat (01)+00007838. This was called from 0028:C183700 VxD VOLTRACK
    (04)
    | +00000430. Microsoft KB article 249824 was not very helpful. Any
    | suggestions. Thanks

    I was able to locate the articles in MS KB, unfortunately, I did not see the
    resolution.
    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > If memory serves me right, this is a bad one (a really bad blue screen
    > special).
    >
    > I think you can restore the previous day's registry (which will also
    > effectively uninstall the CD drive and that software), and at least allow
    > you to reboot into windows, and reinstall it again at a later time.
    >
    > IF you can do that, consider it. But the next time to try to reinstall
    > that CD drive and its software, do NOT install any of the packet writing
    > software that comes with it, if you have that option. (Like skip InCD,
    > or
    > DirectCD, or the equivalent).
    >
    > At least this is what I recollect.
    >
    > Sunshine wrote:
    >> after installing CD-CD RW drive along with the software I receive the
    >> following error message : An exception has occurred at 0028:C0049810 in
    >> VxD vfat (01)+00007838. This was called from 0028:C183700 VxD
    >> VOLTRACK (04)
    >> +00000430. Microsoft KB article 249824 was not very helpful. Any
    >> suggestions. Thanks

    Well, unless someone comes up with something different or contrary to what I
    wrote below, you might consider trying it.

    Keep in mind you normally only have 4 back days worth of registry backups,
    so time is of the essence here.

    If you want to try the method of restoring a previous day's registry backup
    (when your system WAS ok), you will need to reboot the computer into DOS
    mode, and then, at the DOS prompt, type: scanreg /restore

    You will then see a list of several registry backup files, sorted by date
    and time. Pick the one that JUST precedes the date you installed that CD
    drive and its software - in other words, just BEFORE your system got screwed
    up.

    If this works, you'll be able to reboot back into Windows.

    As I said, this is my recommendation, but there are no guarantees it will
    work in your situation.

    Sunshine wrote:
    > I was able to locate the articles in MS KB, unfortunately, I did not see
    the
    > resolution.

    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> If memory serves me right, this is a bad one (a really bad blue screen
    >> special).
    >>
    >> I think you can restore the previous day's registry (which will also
    >> effectively uninstall the CD drive and that software), and at least allow
    >> you to reboot into windows, and reinstall it again at a later time.
    >>
    >> IF you can do that, consider it. But the next time to try to reinstall
    >> that CD drive and its software, do NOT install any of the packet writing
    >> software that comes with it, if you have that option. (Like skip InCD,
    >> or DirectCD, or the equivalent).
    >>
    >> At least this is what I recollect.
    >>
    >> Sunshine wrote:
    >>> after installing CD-CD RW drive along with the software I receive the
    >>> following error message : An exception has occurred at 0028:C0049810 in
    >>> VxD vfat (01)+00007838. This was called from 0028:C183700 VxD
    >>> VOLTRACK (04)
    >>> +00000430. Microsoft KB article 249824 was not very helpful. Any
    >>> suggestions. Thanks

    I'm not a big fan of "Scanreg /Restore". Although I have seen reports of
    it doing amazing things, let that one be on Colorado's head. I just
    don't know when it is appropriate, as it doesn't normally replace any
    files except the Registry, System.ini, & Win.ini. That covers a lot of
    settings, perhaps file pointers, but no other actual files, except
    possibly small ones actually contained within the Registry itself.
    Everyone really should have a full system backup to go to in these
    circumstances. Would you like my list of backup apps?

    BUT, certainly try the "Scanreg /Restore" if all else fails. To overcome
    the time limit Colorado spoke of, copy the RB..cabs to a safe location
    at DOS... "COPY C:\Windows\Sysbckup\RB*.cab C:\Windows\Temp". However,
    the older they are, the more likely they will be trouble.

    http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/vfat.htm
    A number of VFAT articles.

    Here is the one/only to come up at
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "VxD VFAT(01)"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98
    Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path
    (256015) - If the last two or more components in a path match MS-DOS
    device names, you may receive an error message on a blue screen similar
    to the following example: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at (address)
    in VXD (FSD) + (address). The current...

    --

    PCR wrote:
    > I'm not a big fan of "Scanreg /Restore".

    Being a fan or not is not relevant here. What IS relevant, on the other
    hand, is helping her with a solution, not a generic encyclopedia. Time to
    get down there in the trenches, boy!

    > Although I have seen reports of
    > it doing amazing things, let that one be on Colorado's head. I just
    > don't know when it is appropriate, as it doesn't normally replace any
    > files except the Registry, System.ini, & Win.ini. That covers a lot of
    > settings, perhaps file pointers, but no other actual files, except
    > possibly small ones actually contained within the Registry itself.
    > Everyone really should have a full system backup to go to in these
    > circumstances. Would you like my list of backup apps?
    >
    > BUT, certainly try the "Scanreg /Restore" if all else fails. To overcome
    > the time limit Colorado spoke of, copy the RB..cabs to a safe location
    > at DOS... "COPY C:\Windows\Sysbckup\RB*.cab C:\Windows\Temp".
    > However, the older they are, the more likely they will be trouble.
    >
    > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/vfat.htm
    > A number of VFAT articles.
    >
    > Here is the one/only to come up at
    > http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    > MSKB Search "VxD VFAT(01)"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98
    > Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path
    > (256015) - If the last two or more components in a path match MS-DOS
    > device names, you may receive an error message on a blue screen similar
    > to the following example: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at (address)
    > in VXD (FSD) + (address). The current...
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I was able to locate the articles in MS KB, unfortunately, I did not see
    the
    >> resolution.
    >> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> If memory serves me right, this is a bad one (a really bad blue screen
    >>> special).
    >>>
    >>> I think you can restore the previous day's registry (which will also
    >>> effectively uninstall the CD drive and that software), and at least
    allow
    >>> you to reboot into windows, and reinstall it again at a later time.
    >>>
    >>> IF you can do that, consider it. But the next time to try to
    reinstall
    >>> that CD drive and its software, do NOT install any of the packet writing
    >>> software that comes with it, if you have that option. (Like skip InCD,
    >>> or
    >>> DirectCD, or the equivalent).

    Please allow me to clarify and I apologize for the misconception. The
    system starts up and works properly until the tray for the CD-RW drive is
    accessed;this is when I get the error message. I uninstalled the burner
    software and the system again works properly except for the functions of the
    CD-RW capability.
    > PCR wrote:
    >> I'm not a big fan of "Scanreg /Restore".
    >
    > Being a fan or not is not relevant here. What IS relevant, on the other
    > hand, is helping her with a solution, not a generic encyclopedia. Time
    > get down there in the trenches, boy!
    >
    >> Although I have seen reports of
    >> it doing amazing things, let that one be on Colorado's head. I just
    >> don't know when it is appropriate, as it doesn't normally replace any
    >> files except the Registry, System.ini, & Win.ini. That covers a lot of
    >> settings, perhaps file pointers, but no other actual files, except
    >> possibly small ones actually contained within the Registry itself.
    >> Everyone really should have a full system backup to go to in these
    >> circumstances. Would you like my list of backup apps?
    >>
    >> BUT, certainly try the "Scanreg /Restore" if all else fails. To overcome
    >> the time limit Colorado spoke of, copy the RB..cabs to a safe location
    >> at DOS... "COPY C:\Windows\Sysbckup\RB*.cab C:\Windows\Temp".
    >> However, the older they are, the more likely they will be trouble.
    >>
    >> http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/vfat.htm
    >> A number of VFAT articles.
    >>
    >> Here is the one/only to come up at
    >> http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    >> MSKB Search "VxD VFAT(01)"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98
    >> Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path
    >> (256015) - If the last two or more components in a path match MS-DOS
    >> device names, you may receive an error message on a blue screen similar
    >> to the following example: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at (address)
    >> in VXD (FSD) + (address). The current...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >> should things get worse after this,
    >> PCR
    >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> I was able to locate the articles in MS KB, unfortunately, I did not see
    > the
    >>> resolution.
    >>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > allow

    > reinstall

    > in

    Well, that is quite different, and much less serious. If I understand
    what you say here, you have eliminated the blue screen and fatal exceptions
    by uninstalling the software. OK then - that part is more encouraging.

    Maybe at this point you can install SOME of the software - just not the
    packet writing part of the software (like InCD, or DirectCD, or whatever).
    Do NOT use the complete install option, but use the custom install option.

    You haven't said what the software is, so I don't have any more specifics to
    give you.

    Sunshine wrote:
    > Please allow me to clarify and I apologize for the misconception. The
    > system starts up and works properly until the tray for the CD-RW drive is
    > accessed;this is when I get the error message. I uninstalled the burner
    > software and the system again works properly except for the functions of
    the
    > CD-RW capability.

    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> PCR wrote:
    >>> I'm not a big fan of "Scanreg /Restore".
    >>
    >> Being a fan or not is not relevant here. What IS relevant, on the other
    >> hand, is helping her with a solution, not a generic encyclopedia. Time
    >> get down there in the trenches, boy!
    >>
    >>> Although I have seen reports of
    >>> it doing amazing things, let that one be on Colorado's head. I just
    >>> don't know when it is appropriate, as it doesn't normally replace any
    >>> files except the Registry, System.ini, & Win.ini. That covers a lot of
    >>> settings, perhaps file pointers, but no other actual files, except
    >>> possibly small ones actually contained within the Registry itself.
    >>> Everyone really should have a full system backup to go to in these
    >>> circumstances. Would you like my list of backup apps?
    >>>
    >>> BUT, certainly try the "Scanreg /Restore" if all else fails. To overcome
    >>> the time limit Colorado spoke of, copy the RB..cabs to a safe location
    >>> at DOS... "COPY C:\Windows\Sysbckup\RB*.cab C:\Windows\Temp".
    >>> However, the older they are, the more likely they will be trouble.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/vfat.htm
    >>> A number of VFAT articles.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the one/only to come up at
    >>> http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    >>> MSKB Search "VxD VFAT(01)"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98
    >>> Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path
    >>> (256015) - If the last two or more components in a path match MS-DOS
    >>> device names, you may receive an error message on a blue screen similar
    >>> to the following example: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at (address)
    >>> in VXD (FSD) + (address). The current...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >>> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >>> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >>> should things get worse after this,
    >>> PCR
    >>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >>> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    Please state exactly what software you are installing with the drive, that is
    causing the error. It is most likely being caused by the packet-writing software,
    which would be INCD from Ahead Nero, or DirectCD from Roxio (there are others).
    Uninstall all the software that came with the drive, then install only the CD
    mastering software (Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc.) without installing the
    packet-writing module.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Please allow me to clarify and I apologize for the misconception. The
    > system starts up and works properly until the tray for the CD-RW drive is
    > accessed;this is when I get the error message. I uninstalled the burner
    > software and the system again works properly except for the functions of the
    > CD-RW capability.
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > PCR wrote:
    > >> I'm not a big fan of "Scanreg /Restore".
    > >
    > > Being a fan or not is not relevant here. What IS relevant, on the other
    > > hand, is helping her with a solution, not a generic encyclopedia. Time
    > > get down there in the trenches, boy!
    > >
    > >> Although I have seen reports of
    > >> it doing amazing things, let that one be on Colorado's head. I just
    > >> don't know when it is appropriate, as it doesn't normally replace any
    > >> files except the Registry, System.ini, & Win.ini. That covers a lot of
    > >> settings, perhaps file pointers, but no other actual files, except
    > >> possibly small ones actually contained within the Registry itself.
    > >> Everyone really should have a full system backup to go to in these
    > >> circumstances. Would you like my list of backup apps?
    > >>
    > >> BUT, certainly try the "Scanreg /Restore" if all else fails. To overcome
    > >> the time limit Colorado spoke of, copy the RB..cabs to a safe location
    > >> at DOS... "COPY C:\Windows\Sysbckup\RB*.cab C:\Windows\Temp".
    > >> However, the older they are, the more likely they will be trouble.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/vfat.htm
    > >> A number of VFAT articles.
    > >>
    > >> Here is the one/only to come up at
    > >> http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    > >> MSKB Search "VxD VFAT(01)"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98
    > >> Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path
    > >> (256015) - If the last two or more components in a path match MS-DOS
    > >> device names, you may receive an error message on a blue screen similar
    > >> to the following example: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at (address)
    > >> in VXD (FSD) + (address). The current...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    > >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    > >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    > >> should things get worse after this,
    > >> PCR
    > >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > >> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > the

    > > allow

    > > reinstall

    > > in

    Thanks, I didn't know if including the software name was allowed, I am using
    ECD 5.
    > Please state exactly what software you are installing with the drive, that
    > is
    > causing the error. It is most likely being caused by the packet-writing
    > software,
    > which would be INCD from Ahead Nero, or DirectCD from Roxio (there are
    > others).
    > Uninstall all the software that came with the drive, then install only the
    > CD
    > mastering software (Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc.) without installing the
    > packet-writing module.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Please allow me to clarify and I apologize for the misconception. The
    >> system starts up and works properly until the tray for the CD-RW drive is
    >> accessed;this is when I get the error message. I uninstalled the burner
    >> software and the system again works properly except for the functions of
    >> the
    >> CD-RW capability.
    >> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Being a fan or not is not relevant here. What IS relevant, on the
    >> > other
    >> > hand, is helping her with a solution, not a generic encyclopedia.
    >> > Time
    >> > get down there in the trenches, boy!

    >> > the

    >> > allow

    >> > reinstall

    >> > in

    Then I would try what I suggested, specifically in reference to NOT
    installing DirectCD, under the custom install option.

    Sunshine wrote:
    > Thanks, I didn't know if including the software name was allowed, I am
    using
    > ECD 5.
    >> Please state exactly what software you are installing with the drive,
    that
    >> is
    >> causing the error. It is most likely being caused by the packet-writing
    >> software,
    >> which would be INCD from Ahead Nero, or DirectCD from Roxio (there are
    >> others).
    >> Uninstall all the software that came with the drive, then install only
    the
    >> CD
    >> mastering software (Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc.) without installing the
    >> packet-writing module.
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Please allow me to clarify and I apologize for the misconception. The
    >>> system starts up and works properly until the tray for the CD-RW drive
    is
    >>> accessed;this is when I get the error message. I uninstalled the burner
    >>> software and the system again works properly except for the functions of
    >>> the
    >>> CD-RW capability.
    >>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98

    Well, I release you from the curse, as Sunshine's problem has turned out
    to be something else. OK, bye.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | PCR wrote:
    | > I'm not a big fan of "Scanreg /Restore".
    |
    | Being a fan or not is not relevant here. What IS relevant, on the
    other
    | hand, is helping her with a solution, not a generic encyclopedia.
    Time to
    | get down there in the trenches, boy!
    |
    | > Although I have seen reports of
    | > it doing amazing things, let that one be on Colorado's head. I just
    | > don't know when it is appropriate, as it doesn't normally replace
    any
    | > files except the Registry, System.ini, & Win.ini. That covers a lot
    of
    | > settings, perhaps file pointers, but no other actual files, except
    | > possibly small ones actually contained within the Registry itself.
    | > Everyone really should have a full system backup to go to in these
    | > circumstances. Would you like my list of backup apps?
    | >
    | > BUT, certainly try the "Scanreg /Restore" if all else fails. To
    overcome
    | > the time limit Colorado spoke of, copy the RB..cabs to a safe
    location
    | > at DOS... "COPY C:\Windows\Sysbckup\RB*.cab C:\Windows\Temp".
    | > However, the older they are, the more likely they will be trouble.
    | >
    | > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/vfat.htm
    | > A number of VFAT articles.
    | >
    | > Here is the one/only to come up at
    | > http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    | > MSKB Search "VxD VFAT(01)"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256015&Product=w98
    | > Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path
    | > (256015) - If the last two or more components in a path match MS-DOS
    | > device names, you may receive an error message on a blue screen
    similar
    | > to the following example: A fatal exception 0E has occurred at
    (address)
    | > in VXD (FSD) + (address). The current...
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | >> I was able to locate the articles in MS KB, unfortunately, I did
    not see
    | the
    | >> resolution.
    | >> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    | allow

    | reinstall
    InCD,

    | in
    Any

    As Bill has stated, uninstall DirectCD. If it is not separately listed in
    Add\Remove Programs, run the Easy CD Creator setup and un-select DirectCD using the
    Custom Install option.
    --

    > Thanks, I didn't know if including the software name was allowed, I am using
    > ECD 5.
    > > Please state exactly what software you are installing with the drive, that
    > > is
    > > causing the error. It is most likely being caused by the packet-writing
    > > software,
    > > which would be INCD from Ahead Nero, or DirectCD from Roxio (there are
    > > others).
    > > Uninstall all the software that came with the drive, then install only the
    > > CD
    > > mastering software (Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc.) without installing the
    > > packet-writing module.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> Please allow me to clarify and I apologize for the misconception. The
    > >> system starts up and works properly until the tray for the CD-RW drive is
    > >> accessed;this is when I get the error message. I uninstalled the burner
    > >> software and the system again works properly except for the functions of
    > >> the
    > >> CD-RW capability.
    > >> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Microsoft Error Message CD-Rom Windows