Identifying a Modem Card

Hi to all,
I have a Modem Card in front of me and I wish to download
the drivers for it.
It will be going into a win98 machine that I have just (sorta) built.
The card doesnt give much information as far as I can see, but I will
post everything that I think might be of use so that I can know which
site to head toward for its drivers.

It is an old card as far as I know too.

1)On the Port side, (only one line for the phone/connection too) it has a
telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10. Below
that, it just says::: ACT.
2)On the card itself it has all of these::
2a)3COM
2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4

It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
by consumer.

Help appreciated,
this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use
this old one that I found.

regards Jane

Are you sure that isn't a network card? Does it have one port or two?
Does a telephone connecter fit into it? The reason I ask is that the
only return I get on any of those numbers is, yes, Mexican, but it's for
10/100 network adapters.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all,
> I have a Modem Card in front of me and I wish to download
> the drivers for it.
> It will be going into a win98 machine that I have just (sorta) built.
> The card doesnt give much information as far as I can see, but I will
> post everything that I think might be of use so that I can know which
> site to head toward for its drivers.
>
> It is an old card as far as I know too.
>
> 1)On the Port side, (only one line for the phone/connection too) it
has a
> telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10.
Below
> that, it just says::: ACT.
> 2)On the card itself it has all of these::
> 2a)3COM
> 2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
> 2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
> 2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
> this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4
>
> It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
> I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
> Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
> by consumer.
>
> Help appreciated,
> this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
> computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
> It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use
> this old one that I found.
>
> regards Jane

That, and the notations "YEL/100 & GRN/10" certainly seem to belong to a
10/100 network adapter, also.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all,
> I have a Modem Card in front of me and I wish to download
> the drivers for it.
> It will be going into a win98 machine that I have just (sorta) built.
> The card doesnt give much information as far as I can see, but I will
> post everything that I think might be of use so that I can know which
> site to head toward for its drivers.
>
> It is an old card as far as I know too.
>
> 1)On the Port side, (only one line for the phone/connection too) it
has a
> telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10.
Below
> that, it just says::: ACT.
> 2)On the card itself it has all of these::
> 2a)3COM
> 2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
> 2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
> 2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
> this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4
>
> It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
> I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
> Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
> by consumer.
>
> Help appreciated,
> this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
> computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
> It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use
> this old one that I found.
>
> regards Jane

It's what Gary said. It's a network adapter. If you plug a phone cord
into it you'll notice it's loose and sloppy and probably won't even stay
snapped in. I've got a couple of them in my old parts box.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Damn, you are a 100% correct Gary.
(not "damn you", just saying "Damn").
I pulled up the Wrong Card.
But, before I get into describing the correct one, doesnt this whole
thing sort of prove my point in the lack of information the 'newbie'
has in trying to identify cards in general. (unless of course one has
the box in which it came, and hopefully describes the content.
I was in a computer shop 2 months ago with a friend who bought
a stick of Ram, and it just came in a plastic bag with no markings
whatsover)

Back to the point in question.
The card I meant to describe::
1)on the port side it has two phone lines plus jack for mic and speaker.
2)on one chip it says:: RCVDL56ACF/SP
R6761-21
ROCKWELL 97
9810 B57013-3, MEXICO(it was probably this that threw me)
3)the other chip says: 3711DL V1.2, then AT5F(1)
4)another smaller chip says: KUAN HS!(not sure about the ! mark)
DH1A050000
5)on the card itself(green part) it says: FCC:H52PJ-37II(or that could be
11)

the card itself says its made in Taiwan, must be the chip thats made
in Mexico.

I didnt realise you were awake gary.
When glee signed off today for zzzzzzz's I just thought you guys were
in a similar time zone and hence a new post.

Is there some simple way for someone like me to identify cards so
as not to pester you guys all the time? what markings in particular
should I look for and etc.

Yes, I do have to take the newly built computer up to my friend,
hers has been hauled off to an "expert" and she doesnt expect it back
before goodness knows when........... but college work doesnt
stop.

thanks gary, heaps.

regards Jane

I'm off up there tomorrow with a hopefully working comp that will
connect to the internet.
> That, and the notations "YEL/100 & GRN/10" certainly seem to belong to a
> 10/100 network adapter, also.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi to all,
> > I have a Modem Card in front of me and I wish to download
> > the drivers for it.
> > It will be going into a win98 machine that I have just (sorta) built.
> > The card doesnt give much information as far as I can see, but I will
> > post everything that I think might be of use so that I can know which
> > site to head toward for its drivers.
> >
> > It is an old card as far as I know too.
> >
> > 1)On the Port side, (only one line for the phone/connection too) it
> has a
> > telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10.
> Below
> > that, it just says::: ACT.
> > 2)On the card itself it has all of these::
> > 2a)3COM
> > 2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
> > 2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
> > 2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
> > this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4
> >
> > It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
> > I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
> > Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
> > by consumer.
> >
> > Help appreciated,
> > this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
> > computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
> > It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use
> > this old one that I found.
> >
> > regards Jane

I can only suggest that you actually install the modem on your own
machine (leave your current modem in.) Download the "List Modem
Application" (zip file, 16KB) and run it to see what it spits out. This
info can be cross-referenced to the vendor/manufacturer tables that are
also at that site.
http://conexant.com/support/md_driverdownload.jsp

The chipset that you describe has been used by many different modem
manufacturers. But Conexant has "generic" drivers that may work just
fine. Otherwise, the critical numbers when looking at places like
Drivers.com are RCVDL56ACF/SP and R6761-21. But those apply to many
makers. I can't find anything else in there that results in a positive
identification of the manufacturer. (But there are others around here
who are much more experienced in these matters than I.)

--

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
> [...]
> > > telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10.
> > Below
> > > that, it just says::: ACT.
> > > 2)On the card itself it has all of these::
> > > 2a)3COM
> > > 2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
> > > 2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
> > > 2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
> > > this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4
> > >
> > > It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
> > > I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
> > > Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
> > > by consumer.
> > >
> > > Help appreciated,
> > > this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
> > > computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
> > > It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use

I tried that, and didn't come up with squat.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

Thanks Menno,
It was my mistake, been a long day.

regards Jane

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> It's what Gary said. It's a network adapter. If you plug a phone cord
> into it you'll notice it's loose and sloppy and probably won't even stay
> snapped in. I've got a couple of them in my old parts box.
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi to all,
> > I have a Modem Card in front of me and I wish to download
> > the drivers for it.
> > It will be going into a win98 machine that I have just (sorta) built.
> > The card doesnt give much information as far as I can see, but I will
> > post everything that I think might be of use so that I can know which
> > site to head toward for its drivers.
> >
> > It is an old card as far as I know too.
> >
> > 1)On the Port side, (only one line for the phone/connection too) it
> > has a telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10.
> > Below that, it just says::: ACT.
> > 2)On the card itself it has all of these::
> > 2a)3COM
> > 2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
> > 2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
> > 2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
> > this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4
> >
> > It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
> > I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
> > Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
> > by consumer.
> >
> > Help appreciated,
> > this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
> > computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
> > It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use
> > this old one that I found.
> >
> > regards Jane
> >

> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

OY CARUMBA,,,,,
I am at Rockwells site and there are literally hundreds and hundreds
of drivers or whatevers.
Is there ONE particular area of the Card itself that a person should
look at? Is it on the chip that is on the card, or is it the card itself?
Boy, if Ian was the owner of the business he would put the info
where people could see it clearly, especially the numbers or alphas
necessary to look up on charts like Rockwells site ensuring a speedy
find of the necessaries. (just got that confirmed by Ian, he is watching me
type.)

regards Jane

> Thanks Menno,
> It was my mistake, been a long day.
>
> regards Jane
>
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > It's what Gary said. It's a network adapter. If you plug a phone cord
> > into it you'll notice it's loose and sloppy and probably won't even stay
> > snapped in. I've got a couple of them in my old parts box.
> >
> > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Hi to all,
> > > I have a Modem Card in front of me and I wish to download
> > > the drivers for it.
> > > It will be going into a win98 machine that I have just (sorta) built.
> > > The card doesnt give much information as far as I can see, but I will
> > > post everything that I think might be of use so that I can know which
> > > site to head toward for its drivers.
> > >
> > > It is an old card as far as I know too.
> > >
> > > 1)On the Port side, (only one line for the phone/connection too) it
> > > has a telephone emblem and these attributes:: YEL/100 & GRN/10.
> > > Below that, it just says::: ACT.
> > > 2)On the card itself it has all of these::
> > > 2a)3COM
> > > 2b)ATMEL, AT498V12 (on chip) 12JC, 0145 (also on same chip)
> > > 2c)3COM, 920-STO3 M9C100 UA A(on other chip)
> > > 2d)on the card-side of the part that a phone line plugs into, it has
> > > this:::::::: bel s811-1XIT A4
> > >
> > > It is made in Mexico by what seems to be 3COM 2000.
> > > I had to use a magnifying glass to extract most of this.
> > > Damned if I know why they dont give the type of info that is usable
> > > by consumer.
> > >
> > > Help appreciated,
> > > this is an update to an earlier thread regarding a friends broken
> > > computer, and how I may just get called back into the loop.
> > > It seems a modem card may be necessary and I'm hoping to use
> > > this old one that I found.
> > >
> > > regards Jane
> > >

> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

awwwww, cmon' guys, tell me which of the flipping numbers to
type in.
I just typed in lots of different stuff at their site but am getting
nowhere, used 'their' search engine too. Here is the site::
http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/902.htm

Hope someone from Rockwell reads this.

regards Jane

Rockwell's modem chip unit got sold to Conexant, a long time ago.
Besides, neither Rockwell nor Conexant made that modem, only the chipset
used in it. Which may or may not be sufficient information.

--

> awwwww, cmon' guys, tell me which of the flipping numbers to
> type in.
> I just typed in lots of different stuff at their site but am getting
> nowhere, used 'their' search engine too. Here is the site::
> http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/902.htm
>
> Hope someone from Rockwell reads this.
>
> regards Jane

HAGGIS

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

> awwwww, cmon' guys, tell me which of the flipping numbers to
> type in.
> I just typed in lots of different stuff at their site but am getting
> nowhere, used 'their' search engine too. Here is the site::
> http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/902.htm
>
> Hope someone from Rockwell reads this.
>
> regards Jane

here is a site that has a number of drivers that would probably work ...do a
search on the page for 56ACF/SP
you should be able to narrow it down to one or two to try

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/mfc/aopen.html

Thanks Gary,
I appreciate the time spent, I think
maybe I am just in frustation mode.
I am sure this will make me more determined to beat this
monster called "computer" that we built. Sort of makes those
B-grade movies more believable concerning computers undermining
mankind.
(speaking of movies, we are watching 'The Green Mile' as I type)

regards Jane
> [...]
> >
> > I didnt realise you were awake gary.
> > When glee signed off today for zzzzzzz's I just thought you guys were
> > in a similar time zone and hence a new post.
> >
> > Is there some simple way for someone like me to identify cards so
> > as not to pester you guys all the time? what markings in particular
> > should I look for and etc.
> >
> > Yes, I do have to take the newly built computer up to my friend,
> > hers has been hauled off to an "expert" and she doesnt expect it back
> > before goodness knows when........... but college work doesnt
> > stop.
> >
> > thanks gary, heaps.
> >
> > regards Jane
> >
> > I'm off up there tomorrow with a hopefully working comp that will
> > connect to the internet.
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > That, and the notations "YEL/100 & GRN/10" certainly seem to belong

Hi Gary,
But what about the fact that it is known as RockWell, doesnt
this help at all?
Is conexant and rockwell the same 'thing', ?

Is this like when kids buy a play-station, and when they want
it serviced or fixed, sony make a point of making difficult to
get what they need prefering rather to sell them another product
instead.

Installing it on my computer is like asking me to do a
service pack update from microsoft, aint gonna happen.
(I prefer my comp working than busted).
I do have an idea though.
What if I put the card in the machine we are talking about,
then hook it up to my phone line and put in my particulars
regarding my account,,,,,,,,, if you reckon this would
work then we could go ahead with your suggestion.
Let me know.

> [...]

> > I didnt realise you were awake gary.
> > When glee signed off today for zzzzzzz's I just thought you guys were
> > in a similar time zone and hence a new post.
> >
> > Is there some simple way for someone like me to identify cards so
> > as not to pester you guys all the time? what markings in particular
> > should I look for and etc.
> >
> > Yes, I do have to take the newly built computer up to my friend,
> > hers has been hauled off to an "expert" and she doesnt expect it back
> > before goodness knows when........... but college work doesnt
> > stop.
> >
> > thanks gary, heaps.
> >
> > regards Jane
> >
> > I'm off up there tomorrow with a hopefully working comp that will
> > connect to the internet.
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > That, and the notations "YEL/100 & GRN/10" certainly seem to belong

Using your own ISP internet connection certainly lets you test it. But
so would any DUN connectoid that's for an active account and is already
on the system. However, until you have drivers, I would assume that the
system can't connect. You could transfer the utility I mentioned before
to her machine, install the modem and run the test, then use the info to
research on your machine.

--

> [...]
made
> > > in Mexico.
> > >
> > > I didnt realise you were awake gary.
> > > When glee signed off today for zzzzzzz's I just thought you guys
were
> > > in a similar time zone and hence a new post.
> > >
> > > Is there some simple way for someone like me to identify cards so
> > > as not to pester you guys all the time? what markings in
particular
> > > should I look for and etc.
> > >
> > > Yes, I do have to take the newly built computer up to my friend,
> > > hers has been hauled off to an "expert" and she doesnt expect it
back
> > > before goodness knows when........... but college work doesnt
> > > stop.
> > >
> > > thanks gary, heaps.
> > >
> > > regards Jane
> > >
> > > I'm off up there tomorrow with a hopefully working comp that will

Hello lil' Dave,
how does the link you have given offer me help?
I have given every detail except a photo of the card to gary,
and I have you link-site in the background as I type and it only
seems to relate to wireless electronics.

regards Jane

Hey there gary,
the post you answered is a belated one,
it was during my frustration ages ago.
you are tops........thanks.

regards Jane
> Rockwell's modem chip unit got sold to Conexant, a long time ago.
> Besides, neither Rockwell nor Conexant made that modem, only the chipset
> used in it. Which may or may not be sufficient information.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > awwwww, cmon' guys, tell me which of the flipping numbers to
> > type in.
> > I just typed in lots of different stuff at their site but am getting
> > nowhere, used 'their' search engine too. Here is the site::
> > http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/902.htm
> >
> > Hope someone from Rockwell reads this.
> >
> > regards Jane

> here is a site that has a number of drivers that would probably work ...do
> search on the page for 56ACF/SP
> you should be able to narrow it down to one or two to try
>
> http://www.modem-help.co.uk/mfc/aopen.html

Will do Haggis,
thanks for jumping in........ am at the site now.

regards Jane

Spent a while there Haggis,
unfortunately its way past midnight so I am going to sleep.
Didnt find what I was looking for, I will try tomorrow
if I get time before going up to friends house, its a long drive.

Thanks for helping all,

regards Jane
nIght........

> > here is a site that has a number of drivers that would probably work
....do
> > search on the page for 56ACF/SP
> > you should be able to narrow it down to one or two to try
> >
> > http://www.modem-help.co.uk/mfc/aopen.html
> >

> Will do Haggis,
> thanks for jumping in........ am at the site now.
>
> regards Jane

HAGGIS

try one of the "F56" series ...it should work (you can narrow it down by
PCI/ISA..with or without speakerphone etc.)

good luck