Next Purchase! Starwars:Galaxies

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
I've been looking at this game for awhile, and I hope it plays like KOTOR. It's Online only, and has a monthly charge of $15. Does anyone play this or have seen it? Or even know anything about?? I've looked it up, but I can't tell by not playing.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(4) 512MB XMS CORSAIR PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
It doesn't play at all like KOTOR. I played on and off for the first year, and while it had it's moments (I liked the skill based system) it was lacking that "Star Wars feeling". Also, I think the fee is 15$/month, not 10$. See if there is a trial you can download before you buy it.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Damn.....I was hoping...Hm...thanks for the insight....I'll try and do that....

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I played SWG for about a year and I had a lot of fun with it for the first six months or so. After that it almost seemed like a chore to log in (not uncommon for MMO's). If you put a little time into it you can get rich pretty fast and be pretty much whatever profession you want in a few months. You can build up a fairly powerful charactor quickly as long as you realize that the kings of PvP are Jedi. For that you will have to put in a lot of time, probably over a year. The long grind to Jedi is what turned me off to the game. Again there is a lot of fun to be had, and a very cool universe to explore (female Twi'Lek dancers *drool*). Just don't expect to able to pwn in PvP for a while (though you can contribute and be a valuable part of a team without being a Jedi, I did exactly that for a long time as a TKM/Commando/Medic).

If you do end up playing PM me and I'll give you some sure-fire-get-rich-quick tips.

<font color=blue>Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.</font color=blue>

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Damn nothing I wanted to hear. I was hoping it had the handling of KOTOR all around. So how is the fighting then. Is it where you command his every move?, or ?????
I might get it anyway.....I guess.....I might actually like it...If not ohwell another to add to the collection.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
Point, click, it auto attacks. You just point and click stuff. I haven't played as a Jedi.. didn't invest that much time in it. But I guess when someone figured out how to become a Jedi, everyone became a Jedi.

You get these speciality areas.. if you complete 2 speciality fields.. I forget the names.. but let's say for sake of argument.. you can go Melee, Ranged, or Magic.. you have multiple fields under each one before you've mastered it. Well, if you master 2 of the 3 (all examples, i think there are a lot more fields) you can go into Jedi Training..

The game really did suck.. within the first month people had huge mansions that really serve no purposes other than looking at them design it. I played for about 2 months before I quit.

I waited for YEARS for WoW to come out.. and I ended up only playing 3 months before I quit.

I played the Original Everquest for about 5-6 months. I played DAoC for maybe 8 months. I liked that game, but again, it wasn't a finished product.. which is the case with all MMORPGs. If they'd just make a game where everything has a purpose to it, it'd be fun.

I mean, what the hell was the point in SWG?? It was run around and just shoot things. Very basic.. nothing was anywhere for any reason.. just go out and shoot wild bugs and giant beasties. Why? Who knows..

If there was a 'point' to the game (by that I assume you mean an ending), then there wouldn't be much point in making the game online only. The idea is to keep playing, experiencing all the content the game has to offer. It's neverending because if someone were to come along and finish the game within a month, they wouldn't make any revenue. As more people finish what content there is, more is added. The 'purpose' (at least where WoW and EQ are concerned) is to get to high-end raiding content. You didn't give any of the games you tried enough time to find your goals. (Which is also part of any MMORPG... you set your own goals, you don't rely on the game to do it for you).

To the previous poster, stay away from anything SOE has it's fingers in. Whether it's EQ, EQII, Planetside... whatever... stay away from it. They still haven't learned how to release an expansion that isn't full of bugs.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

gillett

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
I am thinking about starting up on this game. The more I look into these style games, eveyeon says EQ is king and that nothing compares, I would like to play something a little newer...

Telephone rings off the hook by her bed
The other ends Johnny with a gun to his head
Said you always looked good in black
The next thing she heard was a bone chilling crack

riser

Illustrious
The storyline sucked is what I meant.. it was randomly running around killing things.. there wasn't a point to what you were doing. I played for a while and I had no clue to why I was ever killing things. I didn't know what the ultimate, always out of reach, goal was. become evil and kill all, or become good and save everyone? I didn't get the plot..

My thought for a MMOG is to have a huge business portion, in game true guilds - actual buildings, and business structure (not the stuff where it's a group of people who together and make it happen within the gmae, but the game makes you do it). Have a structure of people.. some are going to be business people who have major pull in the game, and major players of guilds.. all out wars could come about.. where the people who play a lot need to build alliances with other guilds/business.. truly self sustaining..

where the people who play a lot run the game and those who don't play as much serve as the smaller people but give power to those who play a lot.. hard to explain in text, but it's a really good idea and would make a really good game.. been working on the concept for a while now.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Get EQII, that is newer than SWG and is better in every way shape and form. I played SWG for about a year when it first came out and it started good but as they added more and more stuff it just got more bugs and more lag until it was unplayable. My friend says it has gotten much better after the last few patches but it still has WAY more lag than EQII and there is far less content.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

riser

Illustrious
Who has that much time to play something like that anymore? When I was 15 I had time since I was out of school at 3:15 and no job.. now I have a job and other stuff..

Hell, I've logged 14 hours playing BF2 since it's release. I was out of town for a few days and made most of my time when I was sick for two days. I have a total score of like 971.. average score per game is around 50-100 for most GOOD people..

There are already people with scores of 30,000. Some people have way too much time on their hands. Average game to score 50-100 points is about 30 minutes.. so 3,000 games scoring 100 points = 150 hours. It was released the 23rd? 14 days ago? About 340 hours ago? 190 hours of not playing.. With 6 hours of sleep on each day, that leaves a combined 7 hours per day for work, school, etc. How many hours a day are kids in school? (This math doesn't include weekends)

That is insane. Parents need to get kids off their computer games.. I wish they'd start saying you can only play 30 hours 25 hours a week in these MMOGs so it's a little more rounded out and a lot of don't stop playing.. in the worst case the power users will quit.. which might make it more fun for the casual gamer.. just my thoughts though..

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Yea, my time for gaming is slowly decreasing. Between college and full time work I dont have to much free time. But I still have weekends off so that is when the hrs are logged :) Nothing releaves stress like a good ol video game, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I'm in your boat. Between graduate school and working. I'm still trying to find time for sleep. I just want about 6-7 hours a night. Nothing more.

riser

Illustrious
Yeah.. even my weekends are getting filled up. Working full time + some.. When I bought battlefield 2 I was all excited cause I had a good game to play for once and I was going to test out my new computer I built..

Then I was sent to NY for a week... that just sucked.

Gaming is good stress relief.. but 10 hours flies by.. haha.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Again great! The boards on this game are huge. Atleast 13,000 meter square. A lot of player interaction. I'm glad I chose the server I went on. The nicest people of any game I have ever played. (so far). Who ever liked the KOTOR series I'd reccomend this. It's 30 dollars, and 15 a month...plus if you get the 3 in one package (Original starwars, and 2 expansions) you get The infamous BARC SPEEDER for free! Everyone tries to buy the thing.....I was warned thankfully about his....People were offering like 300k-1mil for it...but I was told its a scam....The barc is the best speeder pretty much in the game. Soo Never sell!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wizoforb on 07/28/05 06:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

riser

Illustrious
So, you buy the game and they give you one of the best items in the game?

When I played.. inflation was insane.. where people were selling things for 200,000,000 for something that should be like 10,000 in the game.. it was really screwed up.. I guess it's good to know that the community stuck around to see things get fixed up.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Yeah so far I haven't seen anything that was outrageously priced. If it is the best item (barc) then yes they give for free. just when you buy the 3in1 game only though.

riser

Illustrious
When doing a MMOG they should give each character a random item when they start based on their serial.. that would be cool.

I guess that's good you got it.. it makes people buy the game still I guess.

Do you find it worth the money so far? I didn't really find much of a plot to the game..

The best MMOG I think i've played have been the original Everquest (which, yes, I got bored of at higher levels because it lacked the fun and exploration as everyone ended up in the same area) and DAoC.. which had a good concept, they were just too slow to release updates.. I got to the point where PVP was all there was to do and it didn't serve a point yet.. along with all the lag.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Being my first...I guess it isn't to bad......So far. I'm sure I'll get sick of it. I agree their is no plot. I find that it's just running missions. That's about it. Max out your experience in different professions. Try to be a Jedi. Well if I ever reach that then what? Help others? That would be kinda dumb. spend all that time to just help others max their stats (teaching skills) I'm not sure what else to do right now in the game anyways. I'm trying to hit all the POI's (points of interest). To collect badges and what not. I survey for minerals/chemicals/flora/wind/water.....to craft things. I have all the generic weapons still...Just trying to raise my exp. I find that Explorer recon missions are the easiest to make money.....I average about 1500 per mission with those which run 4300meters. Not bad....a little time consuming but saves my life from getting killed from hunting missions.

Wow I said alot sorry

asherons call 2 wasnt too bad, of course thats the only mmo i have ever played regularly, i dabbled in ultima some but got bored.

"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

riser

Illustrious
I never played those for some reason.. I just never heard enough about them..

I was waiting since 99 for WoW when word first came out.. and after 2 months I was sick of it..

Eve-online looks promising but I don't have the time to devote anymore..

If they had one where the amount of time spent in the game didn't mean so much.. then that would be one that would last.

If they had one where the amount of time spent in the game didn't mean so much.. then that would be one that would last.
exactly, i feel sometimes they make those games for those who can devote 4-5 hours day to play it, its honestly not worth my money if i can only play it 30 minutes to an hour at a time, maybe 3 times a week.

"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

Still playing WoW and I love it... the wife plays more than I do, though... lol. The thing I enjoy with WoW is the fact that I can log in for an hour and feel like I accomplished something... which is a lot more than I can say about EQ.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>