Comparing Sprint PCS vs. GAIT Service ...

Last response: in Network Providers
September 25, 2004 4:07:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

How does Cingular GAIT coverage compare to Sprint coverage using a
dual/tri-band phone?

I've been happy with Cingular GAIT service, using a Nokia 6340i. Due
to work reasons, I'm considering a switch to Sprint service. I know
Sprint offers analog roaming (with a compatible phone).

How do these two types of service compare?

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Regards,
Dan Parks

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I had both the GAIT plan and SPCS F & C America plan. Dropped Cingular due
to the poor voice quality (echoes, low volume, noises) on 850 mhz transition
GSM systems. Have better coverage nationwide with the $5/mo America option
on the SPCS Free & Clear plan. No problems, much of the roaming is on
digital (Verizon, others)-much happier with just SPCS (and I travel all over
the country in an 18 wheeler).

Chris

"Dan Parks" <unlisted> wrote in message
> How does Cingular GAIT coverage compare to Sprint coverage using a
> dual/tri-band phone?
>
> I've been happy with Cingular GAIT service, using a Nokia 6340i. Due
> to work reasons, I'm considering a switch to Sprint service. I know
> Sprint offers analog roaming (with a compatible phone).
>
> How do these two types of service compare?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dan Parks

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:19:22 AM

"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
news:D B_5d.12948$Xn6.7949@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
I had both the GAIT plan and SPCS F & C America plan. Dropped Cingular due
to the poor voice quality (echoes, low volume, noises) on 850 mhz transition
GSM systems. Have better coverage nationwide with the $5/mo America option
on the SPCS Free & Clear plan. No problems, much of the roaming is on
digital (Verizon, others)-much happier with just SPCS (and I travel all over
the country in an 18 wheeler).

Chris

Mainly on Interstates??

If you get off the Interstate in AR, you're SOL with Sprint.

bamp

"Dan Parks" <unlisted> wrote in message
> How does Cingular GAIT coverage compare to Sprint coverage using a
> dual/tri-band phone?
>
> I've been happy with Cingular GAIT service, using a Nokia 6340i. Due
> to work reasons, I'm considering a switch to Sprint service. I know
> Sprint offers analog roaming (with a compatible phone).
>
> How do these two types of service compare?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dan Parks

September 28, 2004 12:19:22 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:19:21 +0000, Chris Russell wrote:

> I had both the GAIT plan and SPCS F & C America plan. Dropped Cingular due
> to the poor voice quality (echoes, low volume, noises) on 850 mhz transition
> GSM systems. Have better coverage nationwide with the $5/mo America option
> on the SPCS Free & Clear plan. No problems, much of the roaming is on
> digital (Verizon, others)-much happier with just SPCS (and I travel all over
> the country in an 18 wheeler).
>
> Chris
>
> "Dan Parks" <unlisted> wrote in message

I just want to add that I have traveled most of the south east via
interstates with sprintpcs and I must say I am impressed by how long I can
hold a vision data connection between cities/states. There were a few
places which oddly enough I could get sprintpcs cell service but not data
but that happened only once in a small section of northern Louisiana. If
you travel sprintpcs call hand offs works very well for both data and
voice.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:19:23 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:32:26 -0500, bamp wrote:

>> How does Cingular GAIT coverage compare to Sprint coverage using a
>> dual/tri-band phone?
>>
>> I've been happy with Cingular GAIT service, using a Nokia 6340i. Due
>> to work reasons, I'm considering a switch to Sprint service. I know
>> Sprint offers analog roaming (with a compatible phone).
>>
>> How do these two types of service compare?
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Dan Parks

Well I have gotten off the interstate in AR and even tho I only had
digital sprintpcs signal 5-10miles from the interstate I was able to roam
without problem. The main problem I had in AR was the rolling valleys
where at the height of them I could just barely lock onto a sprintpcs
digital signal. Not to mention the little pockets in AR where you would
come across 30 population towns that time has forgotten but I still was
able to use my sprintpcs phone.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:19:24 AM

"Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.09.27.22.33.54.323450@central.2y.net...
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:32:26 -0500, bamp wrote:
>
>>> How does Cingular GAIT coverage compare to Sprint coverage using a
>>> dual/tri-band phone?
>>>
>>> I've been happy with Cingular GAIT service, using a Nokia 6340i. Due
>>> to work reasons, I'm considering a switch to Sprint service. I know
>>> Sprint offers analog roaming (with a compatible phone).
>>>
>>> How do these two types of service compare?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your thoughts.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Dan Parks
>>>

> Well I have gotten off the interstate in AR and even tho I only had
> digital sprintpcs signal 5-10miles from the interstate I was able to roam
> without problem. The main problem I had in AR was the rolling valleys
> where at the height of them I could just barely lock onto a sprintpcs
> digital signal. Not to mention the little pockets in AR where you would
> come across 30 population towns that time has forgotten but I still was
> able to use my sprintpcs phone.

Time ain't plum forgot us, I've got a neighbor just down the road, got a
brand new TV. Now we've got something to do on Saturday nights, other than
go out with our cousins. I heard they've even got color TV in Little Rock!!
Can't wait till we get it out here.

bamp
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:18:16 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:40:45 -0500, bamp wrote:

>> able to use my sprintpcs phone.
>
> Time ain't plum forgot us, I've got a neighbor just down the road, got a
> brand new TV. Now we've got something to do on Saturday nights, other than
> go out with our cousins. I heard they've even got color TV in Little Rock!!
> Can't wait till we get it out here.
>
> bamp

Well I don't confuse "time forgot" with dating cousins and uneducated
redneck myths. Simple put there are alot of very very small towns that are
just a town, a church, and maybe a general store of some kind. Good
places just not where you expect to find the best cell/pcs service.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:43:03 PM

news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:40:45 -0500, bamp wrote:
>
>>> able to use my sprintpcs phone.
>>
>> Time ain't plum forgot us, I've got a neighbor just down the road, got a
>> brand new TV. Now we've got something to do on Saturday nights, other
>> than
>> go out with our cousins. I heard they've even got color TV in Little
>> Rock!!
>> Can't wait till we get it out here.
>>
>> bamp
>
> Well I don't confuse "time forgot" with dating cousins and uneducated
> redneck myths. Simple put there are alot of very very small towns that are
> just a town, a church, and maybe a general store of some kind. Good
> places just not where you expect to find the best cell/pcs service.

Along the Interstate system.

bamp
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:50:09 PM

"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...

>>> Time ain't plum forgot us, I've got a neighbor just down the road, got a
>>> brand new TV. Now we've got something to do on Saturday nights, other
>>> than
>>> go out with our cousins. I heard they've even got color TV in Little
>>> Rock!!
>>> Can't wait till we get it out here.
>>>
>>> bamp
>>
>> Well I don't confuse "time forgot" with dating cousins and uneducated
>> redneck myths. Simple put there are alot of very very small towns that
>> are
>> just a town, a church, and maybe a general store of some kind. Good
>> places just not where you expect to find the best cell/pcs service.
>
> Along the Interstate system.
>
> bamp

Here's Sprint's coverage map of AR.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/ServiceAreaD...

bamp
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:58:51 PM

> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...

>>> Well I don't confuse "time forgot" with dating cousins and uneducated
>>> redneck myths. Simple put there are alot of very very small towns that
>>> are
>>> just a town, a church, and maybe a general store of some kind. Good
>>> places just not where you expect to find the best cell/pcs service.
>>
>> Along the Interstate system.
>>
>> bamp
>
> Here's Sprint's coverage map of AR.
>
> http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/ServiceAreaD...
>
> bamp

That link didn't work, but you can get the map from there.

bamp
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:44:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Though Sprint's own Arkansas coverage is mainly along highways, their
roaming coverage (the green background) covers most of the spaces in
between and is included in the F&CA plans. I believe according to PRL
10024, Sprint phones roam both digitally & analog on Alltel, (SID 208?)
which does cover most of Arkansas, according to Alltel's map at
http://www.alltel.com/estore/wireless/products/greater/...

bamp wrote:

> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...

Simple put there are alot of very very small towns that are
>>just a town, a church, and maybe a general store of some kind. Good
>>places just not where you expect to find the best cell/pcs service.
>

> Along the Interstate system.
>
> bamp

September 29, 2004 2:07:15 PM

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Though Sprint's own Arkansas coverage is mainly along highways, their
> roaming coverage (the green background) covers most of the spaces in
> between and is included in the F&CA plans. I believe according to PRL
> 10024, Sprint phones roam both digitally & analog on Alltel, (SID 208?)
> which does cover most of Arkansas, according to Alltel's map at
> http://www.alltel.com/estore/wireless/products/greater/...
>

> bamp wrote:
>
>> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...
>>
> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620

I stand corrected, sorry.

bamp
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 8:05:09 PM

> "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> > Though Sprint's own Arkansas coverage is mainly along highways, their
> > roaming coverage (the green background) covers most of the spaces in
> > between and is included in the F&CA plans. I believe according to PRL
> > 10024, Sprint phones roam both digitally & analog on Alltel, (SID 208?)
> > which does cover most of Arkansas, according to Alltel's map at

http://www.alltel.com/estore/wireless/products/greater/...

> > bamp wrote:
> >
> >> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
> >> news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...
> >>
> > --
> > Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620
>
> I stand corrected, sorry.
>
> bamp

Ya know, you folks in Arkansas should start learning how to type while
sitting down. I think you will find it more comfortable ... :) .

Bob
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 1:48:22 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
>> > Though Sprint's own Arkansas coverage is mainly along highways, their
>> > roaming coverage (the green background) covers most of the spaces in
>> > between and is included in the F&CA plans. I believe according to PRL
>> > 10024, Sprint phones roam both digitally & analog on Alltel, (SID 208?)
>> > which does cover most of Arkansas, according to Alltel's map at
>> >
> http://www.alltel.com/estore/wireless/products/greater/...

>> > --
>> > Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620
>>
>> I stand corrected, sorry.
>>
>> bamp
>
> Ya know, you folks in Arkansas should start learning how to type while
> sitting down. I think you will find it more comfortable ... :) .
>
> Bob

I've tried that, but I've found I can scratch my bare feet on the gravel
better by standing on them. Hope to get some shoes soon, then maybe i can
sit & type.
:-(
bamp
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:53:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I think you don't really know what you are talking about. If there is an
analog signal, I'll roam on it with my Nokia 3588i. Try these maps for
coverage:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-digitalRoami...

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-analogRoamin...

Within normal cellular parameters I will have service in AR.

Chris

> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
>>> news:p an.2004.09.28.03.18.15.198532@central.2y.net...

>>> Along the Interstate system.
>>>
>>> bamp
>>
>> Here's Sprint's coverage map of AR.
>>
>> http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/ServiceAreaD...
>>
>> bamp
>
> That link didn't work, but you can get the map from there.
>
> bamp

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:56:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

You would have been better off doing some research about the $5/mo America
option giving you the 'whole' USA before dissing SPCS service (SPCS and
roaming) in AR.

Chris

> "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
> news:D B_5d.12948$Xn6.7949@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> I had both the GAIT plan and SPCS F & C America plan. Dropped Cingular
> due
> to the poor voice quality (echoes, low volume, noises) on 850 mhz
> transition
> GSM systems. Have better coverage nationwide with the $5/mo America
> option
> on the SPCS Free & Clear plan. No problems, much of the roaming is on
> digital (Verizon, others)-much happier with just SPCS (and I travel all
> over
> the country in an 18 wheeler).
>
> Chris
>
> Mainly on Interstates??
>
> If you get off the Interstate in AR, you're SOL with Sprint.
>
> bamp
>

> "Dan Parks" <unlisted> wrote in message
>> How does Cingular GAIT coverage compare to Sprint coverage using a
>> dual/tri-band phone?
>>
>> I've been happy with Cingular GAIT service, using a Nokia 6340i. Due
>> to work reasons, I'm considering a switch to Sprint service. I know
>> Sprint offers analog roaming (with a compatible phone).
>>
>> How do these two types of service compare?
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Dan Parks

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:56:48 AM

> You would have been better off doing some research about the $5/mo America
> option giving you the 'whole' USA before dissing SPCS service (SPCS and
> roaming) in AR.
>
> Chris

Can't you read??? I said I stand corrected!!! But you ain't talking on
Sprint PCS off the Interstate system. Your roaming.

I'm used to talking on Cingular ALL over Arkansas.

bamp
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 8:27:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <Fn_6d.13393$h16.2772@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
noone@nowhere.nospam says...
> I think you don't really know what you are talking about. If there is an
> analog signal, I'll roam on it with my Nokia 3588i. Try these maps for
> coverage:
>
> http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-digitalRoami...
>
> http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-analogRoamin...
>
> Within normal cellular parameters I will have service in AR.
>
> Chris

Now that's odd. That map shows digital coverage (roaming) throughout
all of central TX. Verizon isn't there--SPCS isn't there.
WesternWireless is further west to northwest. I didn't think there was
any CDMA in CenTx away from the big cities. Anybody know what carrier
they could be using or is the map just as wrong as Cingular's GSM one?
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

This map from Andrew Shepherd
http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/southwest.html
shows which cellular (800MHz) carriers have the A- and B-side licenses
in Texas. But it doesn't indicate which have CDMA.

This map
http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/vzw_pcs_block.htm...
shows that Verizon has PCS (1900MHz) licenses over all of Texas (as does
Sprint PCS), but this doesn't mean they've built any of it out.

Many other interesting maps on Andrew's home page at
http://people.cc.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/main.html

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> In article <Fn_6d.13393$h16.2772@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
> noone@nowhere.nospam says...
>
>>I think you don't really know what you are talking about. If there is an
>>analog signal, I'll roam on it with my Nokia 3588i. Try these maps for
>>coverage:
>>
>>http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-digitalRoami...
>>
>>http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-analogRoamin...
>>
>>Within normal cellular parameters I will have service in AR.
>>
>>Chris
>

> Now that's odd. That map shows digital coverage (roaming) throughout
> all of central TX. Verizon isn't there--SPCS isn't there.
> WesternWireless is further west to northwest. I didn't think there was
> any CDMA in CenTx away from the big cities. Anybody know what carrier
> they could be using or is the map just as wrong as Cingular's GSM one?

October 5, 2004 6:31:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Recently going form Miami to LA in my 18 wheeler, after I left San Antonio
for about 30 mins I had analog roaming then I had digital roaming all the
way to the El Paso Sprint signal about 40 miles from the city. I tried 611,
but the greeting was just "Customer Care"-no carrier designation. The map
wasn't wrong, I just don't know what carrier I was roaming.

Chris

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1bc698bffc9e83a79897c4@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

!