removing a Registry setting?

Vic

Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be REMOVED by means of a file:
e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
---

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00

---

I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
"AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?

TIA, Vic

"Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in

> Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be REMOVED
> by means of a file: e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
> ---
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
> "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00
>
> ---
>
> I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it
> front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
> "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?
>
> TIA, Vic

Have a look at 'How to Remove Windows 95/98 Registry Entries Automatically'

<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171424&sd=RMVP>

Vic

Ingeborg, I tried what I think MS is saying on your reference page and still no results deleting that ONE entry (value name)

I created an INF file with the following:

[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
; DelReg = RegChange

[RunIt]
DelReg=RegChange

[RegChange]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,[AuditMode]

Ran it (right click, install) and nothing happened. In fact I've tried MANY variations of the above and still the value appears!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Vic

"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message news:Xns960F94DA2E854abinvalid@130.133.1.4...
> "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in
>
> > Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be REMOVED
> > by means of a file: e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
> > ---
> >
> > REGEDIT4
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
> > "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it
> > front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
> > "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?
> >
> > TIA, Vic
> >

> Have a look at 'How to Remove Windows 95/98 Registry Entries Automatically'
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171424&sd=RMVP>

HAGGIS

"Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
> Ingeborg, I tried what I think MS is saying on your reference page and
> still no results deleting that ONE entry (value name)
>
> I created an INF file with the following:
>
> [Version]
> signature="$CHICAGO$"
>
> [DefaultInstall]
> ; DelReg = RegChange
>
> [RunIt]
> DelReg=RegChange
>
> [RegChange]
> HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,[AuditMode]
>
> Ran it (right click, install) and nothing happened. In fact I've tried
> MANY variations of the above and still the value appears!
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Vic
>

> "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be REMOVED
>> > by means of a file: e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
>> > ---
>> >
>> > REGEDIT4
>> >
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
>> > "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00
>> >
>> > ---
>> >
>> > I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it
>> > front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
>> > "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?
>> >
>> > TIA, Vic
>> >

>> Have a look at 'How to Remove Windows 95/98 Registry Entries
>> Automatically'
>>
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171424&sd=RMVP>

did you put "REGEDIT4" in the header/at the top ? that tells it that it is a
win98 registry file

"Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in

> Ingeborg, I tried what I think MS is saying on your reference page and
> still no results deleting that ONE entry (value name)
>
> I created an INF file with the following:
>
> [Version]
> signature="$CHICAGO$"
>
> [DefaultInstall]
> ; DelReg = RegChange
>
> [RunIt]
> DelReg=RegChange
>
> [RegChange]
> HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,[AuditMode]
>
> Ran it (right click, install) and nothing happened. In fact I've tried
> MANY variations of the above and still the value appears!
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Vic
>

> "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be
>> > REMOVED by means of a file: e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
>> > ---
>> >
>> > REGEDIT4
>> >
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
>> > "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00
>> >
>> > ---
>> >
>> > I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it
>> > front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
>> > "AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?
>> >
>> > TIA, Vic
>> >

>> Have a look at 'How to Remove Windows 95/98 Registry Entries
>> Automatically'
>>
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171424&sd=RMVP>

This inf file from the MS site has to be run with
RunDLL setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection RunIt 0 <path>\Del-Reg.inf

in which case the RunIt part will be executed. When you use
rightclick/install, DefaultInstall will be executed, so you'll heve to
change:

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg = RegChange

| "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in
|
| > Ingeborg, I tried what I think MS is saying on your reference page
and
| > still no results deleting that ONE entry (value name)
| >
| > I created an INF file with the following:
| >
| > [Version]
| > signature="$CHICAGO$"
| >
| > [DefaultInstall]
| > ; DelReg = RegChange
| >
| > [RunIt]
| > DelReg=RegChange
| >
| > [RegChange]
| > HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,[AuditMode]
| >
| > Ran it (right click, install) and nothing happened. In fact I've
tried
| > MANY variations of the above and still the value appears!
| >
| > What am I doing wrong?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Vic
| >

| > "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
| >> "Vic" <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote in

| >> Have a look at 'How to Remove Windows 95/98 Registry Entries
| >> Automatically'
| >>
| >> <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171424&sd=RMVP>
| >

| This inf file from the MS site has to be run with
| RunDLL setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection RunIt 0 <path>\Del-Reg.inf
|
| in which case the RunIt part will be executed. When you use
| rightclick/install, DefaultInstall will be executed, so you'll heve to
| change:
|
| [DefaultInstall]
| DelReg = RegChange

That's quite a confusing article! I guess I would also remove the
brackets, though, he put around "AuditMode"...

[RegChange]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,[AuditMode]

....BUT, I'm sure I like Edwards's solution much, much better!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

-------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"AuditMode"=-
//remove a value
-----------

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Vic"
<nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote:

>Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be REMOVED by means of a file:
>e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
>---
>
>REGEDIT4
>
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
>"AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00
>
>---
>
>I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
>"AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?
>
>TIA, Vic

Vic

Alan, worked perfectly. Thanks!
Vic
___

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#xfllAUIFHA.952
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> That's quite a confusing article! I guess I would also remove the
> brackets, though, he put around "AuditMode"...
>
> [RegChange]
> HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,[AuditMode]
>
> ...BUT, I'm sure I like Edwards's solution much, much better!

Yes, you're right about the brackets. I should have read Vic's reply
better.

And yes, Edwards solution is better, but has one shortcoming: It doesn't
work for all windows versions.

I once have written an installer which, among other things, created a .bat
file as uninstaller. It had to delete some files, directories and some
registry keys. And it had to work on all win32 platforms. I can't remember
all details, but removing registry key with a .reg file didn't work well
for all 9X platforms, while removing with a .inf file didn't work well for
all NT platforms. So I created a batch file which did both.

Since Vic is posting in an '98 group, the .inf solution is more failsafe, I
think.

By the way, another link about .inf files
<http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html>

I see. Anyway, Vic did say he tried many variations. As far as platforms
on which the two solutions may work, a Win98 solution has always been
good enough for me.

Well, the site you post has many goodies which I need to study. However,
I don't see where it has anything on .inf files in it's main menu.
Putting "INF" into it's search engine does take one to other places,
though.

--

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#LEJaiaIFHA.1304
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> I see. Anyway, Vic did say he tried many variations. As far as platforms
> on which the two solutions may work, a Win98 solution has always been
> good enough for me.
>
> Well, the site you post has many goodies which I need to study. However,
> I don't see where it has anything on .inf files in it's main menu.
> Putting "INF" into it's search engine does take one to other places,
> though.

Strange. When I doubleclick the
<http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html> link in my newsreader,
my browser (Firefox) opens http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html with a
site menu on the left, and a discussion on .inf files in the main windows.
When I copy and paste the address I don't get the site menu, only the .inf
discussion. Appearently something is done with the address while
doubleclicking, but I wouldn't know what.

Did you doubleclick? Try copy and paste.

It's the difference in the way they either goofed or set it up for
single/double click, hyperlinks are designed for a single click. Your first
link on a single click takes me to the address shown while a double click
gets me the page with the menu.

Now here is an old trick that works for copy/paste of a link, let's just see
how it does:
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/robmain.html

What I did was right click on the sites page, click properties and
copied/pasted the link from the popup window.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#LEJaiaIFHA.1304
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
>> I see. Anyway, Vic did say he tried many variations. As far as platforms
>> on which the two solutions may work, a Win98 solution has always been
>> good enough for me.
>>
>> Well, the site you post has many goodies which I need to study. However,
>> I don't see where it has anything on .inf files in it's main menu.
>> Putting "INF" into it's search engine does take one to other places,
>> though.
>>

> Strange. When I doubleclick the
> <http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html> link in my newsreader,
> my browser (Firefox) opens http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html with a
> site menu on the left, and a discussion on .inf files in the main windows.
> When I copy and paste the address I don't get the site menu, only the .inf
> discussion. Appearently something is done with the address while
> doubleclicking, but I wouldn't know what.
>
> Did you doubleclick? Try copy and paste.

"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#LEJaiaIFHA.1304
| @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
|
| > I see. Anyway, Vic did say he tried many variations. As far as
platforms
| > on which the two solutions may work, a Win98 solution has always
been
| > good enough for me.
| >
| > Well, the site you post has many goodies which I need to study.
However,
| > I don't see where it has anything on .inf files in it's main menu.
| > Putting "INF" into it's search engine does take one to other places,
| > though.
| >

| Strange. When I doubleclick the
| <http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html> link in my
newsreader,
| my browser (Firefox) opens http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html
with a
| site menu on the left, and a discussion on .inf files in the main
windows.
| When I copy and paste the address I don't get the site menu, only the
..inf
| discussion. Appearently something is done with the address while
| doubleclicking, but I wouldn't know what.
|
| Did you doubleclick? Try copy and paste.Linking to this site

I am set in "Folder Options, General tab, Settings button" for a single
click instead of double. Pasting your URL instead of clicking it also
made no difference. I see the main menu, which does not mention .inf
files. Here is a quote from the page it's R-Pane...

........Quote.................
If you want to link to a particular page (deep linking), use the URL in
the footer of that page.
Do not use the URL in your browser's location field, as this URL is for
the frameset page only.
........EOQ....................

So, give me that one!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

> I once have written an installer which, among other things, created a .bat
> file as uninstaller. It had to delete some files, directories and some
> registry keys. And it had to work on all win32 platforms. I can't remember
> all details, but removing registry key with a .reg file didn't work well
> for all 9X platforms, while removing with a .inf file didn't work well for
> all NT platforms. So I created a batch file which did both.
>
> Since Vic is posting in an '98 group, the .inf solution is more failsafe,
> think.

I agree with you Ingeborg....
(now what was that you just said again??)

regards Jane

Wait a minute...!...
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html
....goes where you say, all right, with a single click. But you didn't
post that the first time!

Oops, yes you did post it...
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html
....but it only appears to work with a double click.

Look, I got there. I'll let you & Brian A. work out the reason how. When
you are done, make sure they all work with just a single click! Please!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#LEJaiaIFHA.1304
| @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
|
| > I see. Anyway, Vic did say he tried many variations. As far as
platforms
| > on which the two solutions may work, a Win98 solution has always
been
| > good enough for me.
| >
| > Well, the site you post has many goodies which I need to study.
However,
| > I don't see where it has anything on .inf files in it's main menu.
| > Putting "INF" into it's search engine does take one to other places,
| > though.
| >

| Strange. When I doubleclick the
| <http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html> link in my
newsreader,
| my browser (Firefox) opens http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html
with a
| site menu on the left, and a discussion on .inf files in the main
windows.
| When I copy and paste the address I don't get the site menu, only the
..inf
| discussion. Appearently something is done with the address while
| doubleclicking, but I wouldn't know what.
|
| Did you doubleclick? Try copy and paste.

Perhaps it doesn't, but it does work for Win98 and that is why I gave
it in this newsgroup where the question was asked.

....Alan

--

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in

> It's the difference in the way they either goofed or set it up for
> single/double click, hyperlinks are designed for a single click. Your
> first link on a single click takes me to the address shown while a
> double click gets me the page with the menu.

Are you sure? I did a little test here. The first doubleclick opens the
page with menu, a second doubleclick opens a new tab with just the page,
the third gives me the menu again, the fourth... and so on.

A single click does nothing in my newsreader (xnews). A doubleclick
opens/executes whatever I'm doubleclicking.

> Now here is an old trick that works for copy/paste of a link, let's
> just see how it does:
> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/robmain.html

This link always opens the page /with/ menu, when I doubleclick it. The
addressbar shows http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html. Copy/paste does
the same.

I looked in the page source, and robmain has a script that does

if (top != self) {
top.location.href = self.location.href ;
}

while amb_removereg links to a script that does

if (top == self) {
restored = getCookie('restored');
if (restored == '1') {
delCookie('restored');
} else {
var exp = new Date();
exp.setTime(exp.getTime() + (1000 * 60));
setCookie('load', self.location.href, exp);
self.location.href = "index.html";
}
}

I suppose the last script acts as a toggle through the 'restored' cookie.

> Are you sure? I did a little test here. The first doubleclick opens the
> page with menu, a second doubleclick opens a new tab with just the page,
> the third gives me the menu again, the fourth... and so on.
>
> A single click does nothing in my newsreader (xnews). A doubleclick
> opens/executes whatever I'm doubleclicking.

A single click gets me to the sites. I can't remember the last time I dbl
clicked a hyperlink aside from in this thread.
I dbl checked and with the links in this post:
1 click opens the page
2 clicks opens the page behind my active window.

>> Now here is an old trick that works for copy/paste of a link, let's
>> just see how it does:
>> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/robmain.html
>
> This link always opens the page /with/ menu, when I doubleclick it. The
> addressbar shows http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html. Copy/paste does
> the same.

I retract that it may be due to them, it's on your end in the setup.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Good Lord! Now both of these-- whether single or double clicked-- will
only go to the "Welcome To Rob van der Woude's Scripting Pages" page,--
& NOT to any .inf page! And there is no "INF" in the pages menu at left.

However, entering "INF" into the pages search engine will offer the Bill
James post in news:alt.msdos.batch, which must be clicked to get to what
I presume these URLs were meant to display. At least, they did go
directly there (to his post) once/twice.

--
| Wait a minute...!...
| http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html
| ...goes where you say, all right, with a single click. But you didn't
| post that the first time!
|
| Oops, yes you did post it...
| http://www.robvanderwoude.com/amb_removereg.html
| ...but it only appears to work with a double click.
|
| Look, I got there. I'll let you & Brian A. work out the reason how.
When
| you are done, make sure they all work with just a single click!
Please!

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#LEJaiaIFHA.1304
| | @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
| |
| | > I see. Anyway, Vic did say he tried many variations. As far as
| platforms
| | > on which the two solutions may work, a Win98 solution has always
| been
| | > good enough for me.
| | >
| | > Well, the site you post has many goodies which I need to study.
| However,
| | > I don't see where it has anything on .inf files in it's main menu.
| | > Putting "INF" into it's search engine does take one to other
places,
| | > though.

| |

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#B2iwyoIFHA.2852
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Good Lord! Now both of these-- whether single or double clicked-- will
> only go to the "Welcome To Rob van der Woude's Scripting Pages" page,--
> & NOT to any .inf page! And there is no "INF" in the pages menu at left.
>
> However, entering "INF" into the pages search engine will offer the Bill
> James post in news:alt.msdos.batch, which must be clicked to get to what
> I presume these URLs were meant to display. At least, they did go
> directly there (to his post) once/twice.

I think Rob van der Woude likes scripting, and his pages are full of
scripts which takes you to other pages than you expected. :)

| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in news:#B2iwyoIFHA.2852
| @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
|
| > Good Lord! Now both of these-- whether single or double clicked--
will
| > only go to the "Welcome To Rob van der Woude's Scripting Pages"
page,--
| > & NOT to any .inf page! And there is no "INF" in the pages menu at
left.

| > However, entering "INF" into the pages search engine will offer the
Bill
| > James post in news:alt.msdos.batch, which must be clicked to get to
what
| > I presume these URLs were meant to display. At least, they did go
| > directly there (to his post) once/twice.
| >

| I think Rob van der Woude likes scripting, and his pages are full of
| scripts which takes you to other pages than you expected. :)

Yea, I guess. It's a good site, seemingly worthy of much study, but
scary in that way. Who knows where a click will go, when van der Woude
is through with his URLs!? OK, then.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

I like that, but what is "//remove a value", a comment? Does it end up
in the Registry? I suppose it can be replaced with the normal NULL line.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
| -------------
| REGEDIT4
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
| "AuditMode"=-
| //remove a value
| -----------
|
| ...Alan
|
| --
| Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
| http://dts-l.org/index.html
|
| In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Vic"
| <nospam@bogusaddress.com> wrote:
|
| >Can someone please explain how the following REG entry can be REMOVED
by means of a file:
| >e.g. remove-auditmode.reg
| >---
| >
| >REGEDIT4
| >
| >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
| >"AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00
| >
| >---
| >
| >I know the entire 'key' can be removed by placing a minus sign it
front of HKEY, but how does one delete just
| >"AuditMode"=hex:00,00,00,00 by means of a file?
| >
| >TIA, Vic

A comment in the .reg file only.
It does not end up in the Registry.
Yes, a blank or null line can replace it.

....Alan

--

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
wrote:

>I like that, but what is "//remove a value", a comment? Does it end up
>in the Registry? I suppose it can be replaced with the normal NULL line.

Thanks. Good, good; I wouldn't want to bloat my Registry! OK, then. I'll
keep your name out of this, Edwards, for as long as I can, JUST in case
I should blow someone up passing this information along! OK, bye.