Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:31:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I see your points there. Dan can you tell me what the difference is
between a dual boot and simply creating a partition on the hard drive.
Or is that the same thing. The pcs at work are on a network and so
therefore not using as much resources as I would need at home. However
those machines are about the same age perhaps a little older than mine.
The chap who came round to install xp to all our pcs seemed convinced
that I ought to do a clean install of xp on my machine but I'm really
too lazy for that and I have too much to back up. I don't use my pc for
anything too intensive. Mainly playing the sims games, listening to
music and trying out new software. The pc is a compaq deskpro en. It
has about 480 odd mb of Ram and uses a pentium 3 at about 850 mhz.


Bill in Co. Wrote:
> Yes, and the world will come to an end. How will we survive?
>
> Dan wrote:-
> After 30 June 2006, then 98, 98SE and ME will be unsupported meaning
> that
> there will not be any more critical updates for these operating
> systems.
>
> "Stanislaw Flatto" compaid@shoalhaven.net.au wrote in message
> news:ajPVd.111$Zn.11203@news.optus.net.au...-
>
>
> PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
> Well I won't be attempting an upgrade to xp just yet then.-
> -
> So when there is no support for any of the 9x range does that
> mean we will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the pc,
> hence being forced into trying to upgrade or clean install to
> xp(question mark).-
>
> It all depends if you do some work on your box or just keep it as a
> reference for "groupie gossip" what kind of latest "upgrade" gives
> you
> "the ****s".
> The many milions who still gaze on this OS in hundreds of languages
> and
> fonts are NOT going to "upgrade" even if it is NOT supported
> (whatever
> this means).
> And as I said before, look around you, for sure you have someplace an
> inherited grandma's spoon which is used and the taste of the soup is
> what matters.
>
> Have fun
>
> Stanislaw.--


--
PSYCHOPIXIE

More about : upgrade win98se

March 4, 2005 4:31:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

A user can create many partitions on a single hard drive. A dual-boot
consists of two operating systems. In my case it is 98SE and XPPRO. I use
98SE for fun, work and everything in between. XPPRO. is useful for memory
intensive applications such as Office XP Professional full version which I
own and yes it is expensive but I plan to reinstall it in the XP PRO. side
because I am trying to keep the 98SE side really clean and I am still
learning about XPPRO. and all the extra services that it offers. The
downside of these extra services is that it provides more entry points for a
hacker into a PC (Personnel Computer) but you can get more things done if you
need these extra services. AFAIK, 98SE does not support PCI EXPRESS and may
not support some of the new technologies that are starting to be put unto
motherboards. I have my operating systems on 2 seperate drives to prevent
problems if one drive crashes and also because it is less likely that I will
try to share files which could lead to dll hell if I have 98SE and XPPRO on
two hard drives. You could run both on one hard drive on two partitions but
I would suggest that you at least hide the partitions from each other if you
do this. Also, I have 98SE in Fat32 and XPPRO in NTFS file systems to help
prevent sharing. 98SE does not even know XPPRO exists since 98SE does not
support NTFS. XPPRO knows 98SE exists and uses some core files from the C:\
drive but is a completely seperate operating system.

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1ldkby@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1ldkby@news.win98banter.com...
:
: I see your points there. Dan can you tell me what the difference is
: between a dual boot and simply creating a partition on the hard drive.
: Or is that the same thing. The pcs at work are on a network and so
: therefore not using as much resources as I would need at home. However
: those machines are about the same age perhaps a little older than mine.
: The chap who came round to install xp to all our pcs seemed convinced
: that I ought to do a clean install of xp on my machine but I'm really
: too lazy for that and I have too much to back up. I don't use my pc for
: anything too intensive. Mainly playing the sims games, listening to
: music and trying out new software. The pc is a compaq deskpro en. It
: has about 480 odd mb of Ram and uses a pentium 3 at about 850 mhz.
:
:
: Bill in Co. Wrote:
: > Yes, and the world will come to an end. How will we survive?
: >
: > Dan wrote:-
: > After 30 June 2006, then 98, 98SE and ME will be unsupported meaning
: > that
: > there will not be any more critical updates for these operating
: > systems.
: >
: > "Stanislaw Flatto" compaid@shoalhaven.net.au wrote in message
: > news:ajPVd.111$Zn.11203@news.optus.net.au...-
: >
: >
: > PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
: > Well I won't be attempting an upgrade to xp just yet then.-
: > -
: > So when there is no support for any of the 9x range does that
: > mean we will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the pc,
: > hence being forced into trying to upgrade or clean install to
: > xp(question mark).-
: >
: > It all depends if you do some work on your box or just keep it as a
: > reference for "groupie gossip" what kind of latest "upgrade" gives
: > you
: > "the ****s".
: > The many milions who still gaze on this OS in hundreds of languages
: > and
: > fonts are NOT going to "upgrade" even if it is NOT supported
: > (whatever
: > this means).
: > And as I said before, look around you, for sure you have someplace an
: > inherited grandma's spoon which is used and the taste of the soup is
: > what matters.
: >
: > Have fun
: >
: > Stanislaw.--
:
:
: --
: PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:51:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

If you're not going to do a clean install, I would recommend against
upgrading to XP. Or clean installing to a new partition and
dual-booting. Upgrades are notoriously tricky and you'd be risking your
current system and data in doing so, with only fair odds of success.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1ldkby@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1ldkby@news.win98banter.com...
>
> I see your points there. Dan can you tell me what the difference is
> between a dual boot and simply creating a partition on the hard drive.
> Or is that the same thing. The pcs at work are on a network and so
> therefore not using as much resources as I would need at home. However
> those machines are about the same age perhaps a little older than
mine.
> The chap who came round to install xp to all our pcs seemed convinced
> that I ought to do a clean install of xp on my machine but I'm really
> too lazy for that and I have too much to back up. I don't use my pc
for
> anything too intensive. Mainly playing the sims games, listening to
> music and trying out new software. The pc is a compaq deskpro en. It
> has about 480 odd mb of Ram and uses a pentium 3 at about 850 mhz.
>
>
> Bill in Co. Wrote:
> > Yes, and the world will come to an end. How will we survive?
> >
> > Dan wrote:-
> > After 30 June 2006, then 98, 98SE and ME will be unsupported meaning
> > that
> > there will not be any more critical updates for these operating
> > systems.
> >
> > "Stanislaw Flatto" compaid@shoalhaven.net.au wrote in message
> > news:ajPVd.111$Zn.11203@news.optus.net.au...-
> >
> >
> > PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:-
> > Well I won't be attempting an upgrade to xp just yet then.-
> > -
> > So when there is no support for any of the 9x range does that
> > mean we will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the pc,
> > hence being forced into trying to upgrade or clean install to
> > xp(question mark).-
> >
> > It all depends if you do some work on your box or just keep it as a
> > reference for "groupie gossip" what kind of latest "upgrade" gives
> > you
> > "the ****s".
> > The many milions who still gaze on this OS in hundreds of languages
> > and
> > fonts are NOT going to "upgrade" even if it is NOT supported
> > (whatever
> > this means).
> > And as I said before, look around you, for sure you have someplace
an
> > inherited grandma's spoon which is used and the taste of the soup is
> > what matters.
> >
> > Have fun
> >
> > Stanislaw.--
>
>
> --
> PSYCHOPIXIE
Related resources
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 4:10:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On 3/4/05 10:38 PM India Time, _Dan_ wrote:

> A user can create many partitions on a single hard drive.
>
I think only four partitions can be created on a hd.

Or is it that windows supports upto four partitions on a hd?

> A dual-boot consists of two operating systems. In my
> case it is 98SE and XPPRO. I use 98SE for fun, work and
> everything in between. XPPRO. is useful for memory
> intensive applications such as Office XP Professional
> full version which I own and yes it is expensive but I
> plan to reinstall it in the XP PRO. side because I am
> trying to keep the 98SE side really clean and I am still
> learning about XPPRO. and all the extra services that it
> offers. The downside of these extra services is that it
> provides more entry points for a hacker into a PC
> (Personnel Computer) but you can get more things done if
> you need these extra services. AFAIK, 98SE does not
> support PCI EXPRESS and may not support some of the new
> technologies that are starting to be put unto
> motherboards. I have my operating systems on 2 seperate
> drives to prevent problems if one drive crashes and also
> because it is less likely that I will try to share files
> which could lead to dll hell if I have 98SE and XPPRO on
> two hard drives. You could run both on one hard drive on
> two partitions but I would suggest that you at least hide
> the partitions from each other if you do this.

I have win98 on c: and xpprosp2 in e:, thus a dual boot.

Both are fat32, thus see each other, access files, and do
everything.

I never faced any problem.

> Also, I
> have 98SE in Fat32 and XPPRO in NTFS file systems to help
> prevent sharing. 98SE does not even know XPPRO exists
> since 98SE does not support NTFS. XPPRO knows 98SE
> exists and uses some core files from the C:\ drive but is
> a completely seperate operating system.
>
> "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1ldkby@news.win98banter.com>
> wrote in message
> news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1ldkby@news.win98banter.com... : : I see
> your points there. Dan can you tell me what the
> difference is : between a dual boot and simply creating a
> partition on the hard drive. : Or is that the same thing.
> The pcs at work are on a network and so : therefore not
> using as much resources as I would need at home. However
> : those machines are about the same age perhaps a little
> older than mine. : The chap who came round to install xp
> to all our pcs seemed convinced : that I ought to do a
> clean install of xp on my machine but I'm really : too
> lazy for that and I have too much to back up. I don't use
> my pc for : anything too intensive. Mainly playing the
> sims games, listening to : music and trying out new
> software. The pc is a compaq deskpro en. It : has about
> 480 odd mb of Ram and uses a pentium 3 at about 850 mhz.
> : : : Bill in Co. Wrote: : > Yes, and the world will come
> to an end. How will we survive? : > : > Dan wrote:- :
> > After 30 June 2006, then 98, 98SE and ME will be
> unsupported meaning : > that : > there will not be any
> more critical updates for these operating : > systems. :
> > : > "Stanislaw Flatto" compaid@shoalhaven.net.au wrote
> in message : >
> news:ajPVd.111$Zn.11203@news.optus.net.au...- : > : > : >
> PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:- : > Well I won't be attempting an
> upgrade to xp just yet then.- : > - : > So when there is
> no support for any of the 9x range does that : > mean we
> will no longer be able to buy software and so on for the
> pc, : > hence being forced into trying to upgrade or
> clean install to : > xp(question mark).- : > : > It all
> depends if you do some work on your box or just keep it
> as a : > reference for "groupie gossip" what kind of
> latest "upgrade" gives : > you : > "the ****s". : > The
> many milions who still gaze on this OS in hundreds of
> languages : > and : > fonts are NOT going to "upgrade"
> even if it is NOT supported : > (whatever : > this
> means). : > And as I said before, look around you, for
> sure you have someplace an : > inherited grandma's spoon
> which is used and the taste of the soup is : > what
> matters. : > : > Have fun : > : > Stanislaw.-- : : : -- :
> PSYCHOPIXIE
>
>

--
Rawat
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 4:10:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
news:%23G4ZXjTIFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> On 3/4/05 10:38 PM India Time, _Dan_ wrote:
>
> > A user can create many partitions on a single hard drive.
> >
> I think only four partitions can be created on a hd.
>
> Or is it that windows supports upto four partitions on a hd?

Using a standard MBR, four is the limit for Primary Partitions, one of
which can be an Extended Partition, which itself can hold dozens if not
hundreds of partitions. Using an Extended MBR like BootIt NG provides,
you can have hundreds of Primary Partitions (not sure on the exact
numbers.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
!