windows setup screen on reboot

HAGGIS

Hi all,

I've looked and have not found a good solution to this....

after running spybot S&D on a win98se computer spybot says it needs to
reboot to remove 2 items.

I've done this before (other machines) and spybot comes up and runs ,then it
goes into windows normally.

on this machine , on the reboot it goes directly to the windows loing screen
, then asks for the installation key.

I did not want to chance a over-top install so i used scanreg /restore to
revert back.

so now it has all the malware back , but works

has anybody run into this ?

thks!

I haven't run into that, no....but first of all, instead of having SpyBot fix
anything, you might post back with a list of what it found. Better yet, don't use
SpyBot to clean this particular machine. Install Ad-Aware SE Personal, and try it
instead, along with CWShredder.

CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, is available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

If you still have malware after that, use Hijack This
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've looked and have not found a good solution to this....
>
> after running spybot S&D on a win98se computer spybot says it needs to
> reboot to remove 2 items.
>
> I've done this before (other machines) and spybot comes up and runs ,then it
> goes into windows normally.
>
> on this machine , on the reboot it goes directly to the windows loing screen
> , then asks for the installation key.
>
> I did not want to chance a over-top install so i used scanreg /restore to
> revert back.
>
> so now it has all the malware back , but works
>
> has anybody run into this ?
>
> thks!

HAGGIS

Thanks Glen,

I didn't have them handy while i was there...I'll try that route