Folder: Win 32 Cabinet Self-Extractor?

I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Any
ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!
3 answers Last reply
More about folder cabinet self extractor

    What's inside the folder?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:42A273BB-D033-41BC-9454-41A5E149EA1F@microsoft.com...
    > I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet
    Self-Extractor. Any
    > ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!

    It showed a program that I had already installed on my computer! Don't know
    why it all of a sudden appeared on my desktop! Thanks!

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > What's inside the folder?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:42A273BB-D033-41BC-9454-41A5E149EA1F@microsoft.com...
    > > I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet
    > Self-Extractor. Any
    > > ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!

    Thought so.

    The installer you ran, was it on your Desktop? Regardless, what happened
    is that the first step was to unpack the installation files from inside
    the installer executable. The installation package was a self-executing
    CAB file (includes the programming required to unpack itself instead of
    relying on you having the appropriate program.) Either that, or the
    self-executing CAB file was inside the original installer file. After
    the installation was completed, it failed to clean up after itself by
    deleting those pieces.

    --

    message news:6D434496-5534-4942-99CF-93E8E0A74643@microsoft.com...
    > It showed a program that I had already installed on my computer!
    Don't know
    > why it all of a sudden appeared on my desktop! Thanks!
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > What's inside the folder?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > > message news:42A273BB-D033-41BC-9454-41A5E149EA1F@microsoft.com...
    > > > I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet
    > > Self-Extractor. Any
    > > > ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!

Desktops Microsoft Windows