  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 4, 2005 5:19:05 PM

I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Any
ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!

More about : folder win cabinet extractor

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:28:29 PM

What's inside the folder?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:42A273BB-D033-41BC-9454-41A5E149EA1F@microsoft.com...
> I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet
Self-Extractor. Any
> ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:49:07 PM

It showed a program that I had already installed on my computer! Don't know
why it all of a sudden appeared on my desktop! Thanks!

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> What's inside the folder?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:42A273BB-D033-41BC-9454-41A5E149EA1F@microsoft.com...
> > I found a folder on my desktop that reads Win 32 Cabinet
> Self-Extractor. Any
> > ideals on what it is and why do I need it? Thanks!!

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:59:17 AM

Thought so.

The installer you ran, was it on your Desktop? Regardless, what happened
is that the first step was to unpack the installation files from inside
the installer executable. The installation package was a self-executing
CAB file (includes the programming required to unpack itself instead of
relying on you having the appropriate program.) Either that, or the
self-executing CAB file was inside the original installer file. After
the installation was completed, it failed to clean up after itself by
deleting those pieces.

--

message news:6D434496-5534-4942-99CF-93E8E0A74643@microsoft.com...

!