security issues

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 5, 2005 11:35:28 AM

can someone plse help me. i was wondering if anyone out there knows of a
software program that i can download ( for free ) that allows me to montiors
every keystroke that is press etc on the computer and is hidden. i want to
montior my children actions when they are using the computer.

thks

More about : security issues

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 5, 2005 11:35:29 AM

Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software, activity
logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<mail> wrote in message
> can someone plse help me. i was wondering if anyone out there knows of a
> software program that i can download ( for free ) that allows me to
> montiors
> every keystroke that is press etc on the computer and is hidden. i want to
> montior my children actions when they are using the computer.
>
> thks

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 6, 2005 1:29:43 AM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software, activity
> logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.

Watch out though, with the way lawyers and america work, your
kids may just turn around and sue you.... invasion of privacy.

regards Jane
a b 8 Security
March 6, 2005 1:29:44 AM

Besides, spying on your kids is not, to me, a decent thing to do. If
you're going to monitor their activities, be up front and tell them what
you're doing and why.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software,
activity
> > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.
>

> Watch out though, with the way lawyers and america work, your
> kids may just turn around and sue you.... invasion of privacy.
>
> regards Jane

March 6, 2005 1:29:45 AM

Exactly Gary and most of us are trying very hard not to have keyloggers on
our machine. I had one once that neither Adaware or Spybot -- Search and
Destroy picked up but SpySweeper by Webroot found it and the associated
registry keys. That is just one reason I am so pro-SpySweeper. I cannot
comment on Webroot's other software because I have not tried it.

: Besides, spying on your kids is not, to me, a decent thing to do. If
: you're going to monitor their activities, be up front and tell them what
: you're doing and why.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
: news:%23Fd$gnXIFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: >
: >
: > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
: > news:egu8fhWIFHA.3008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software,
: activity
: > > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.
: >
: >
: > Watch out though, with the way lawyers and america work, your
: > kids may just turn around and sue you.... invasion of privacy.
: >
: > regards Jane
: >
: >
:
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 6, 2005 1:50:52 AM

On 05-Mar-05 3:17 PM India Time, _Brian A._ wrote:

> Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software, activity
> logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.

You might first read the legal implications of using that.

What if your children sue you? depends on how old they are.

---
Also check whether your wife/kids have not already put a
keylogger and are checking your activities.

--
Rawat
March 6, 2005 1:50:53 AM

I truly wonder why anyone wants keyloggers since they are annoying and can we
say 1984 book by George Orwell.

"V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
: On 05-Mar-05 3:17 PM India Time, _Brian A._ wrote:
:
: > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software,
activity
: > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.
: >
:
: You might first read the legal implications of using that.
:
: What if your children sue you? depends on how old they are.
:
: ---
: Also check whether your wife/kids have not already put a
: keylogger and are checking your activities.
:
: --
: Rawat
:
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 6, 2005 2:53:19 PM

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:35:28 +1000, <mail> wrote:

>can someone plse help me. i was wondering if anyone out there knows of a
>software program that i can download ( for free ) that allows me to montiors
>every keystroke that is press etc on the computer and is hidden. i want to
>montior my children actions when they are using the computer.

I'd step back a bit; it sounds like you are trying to use technology
as a steamroller to flatten some relationship / trust issues.

If there's one thing the ongoing combat between malware and defensive
software has taught me, is the futility of that approach.

There are several malware ITW (In The Wild) that do something like
what you are looking for, except they send that info off somewhere
else. Is that really the company you want to keep?

FWIW, my approach - assuming I did not trust the childern involved -
would be to keep thier private PC off the 'net, and let them do the
Internet stuff on a PC that's in an open family space.

If you can't trust them, then the battle's largely lost, but you could
try "securing" the Internet-connected PC so that it's less available
when you are not there to spy on them.

Also, consider what you are asking, from a technical standpoint.
Recording every keystroke and mouse click will be meaningless without
context, and storing this data with full context is going to create a
HUGE amount of material. If it takes as long to play this back to
assess it, when will you have the time?

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
March 6, 2005 2:53:20 PM

Thanks for your input. Chris Cquirke, are you disappointed in my decision to
mail the debate between me, you and Gary S. Terhune to Microsoft as well?
All I want is to make life easier for computer users and help make Microsoft
even more money as well as making the world that we live in a little bit
nicer and I am the kind of person that will go to any means to accomplish
that end. If I offended you as well as I offended Gary S. Terhune then I am
truly sorry and I hope that it does not hurt our relationship. BTW, I hope
the same is true of me and Gary S. Terhune because I see you and him as great
men who are movers and shakers in the computer world. Everyone have a great
day!

Godspeed! (May God Go With All Of You)

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:vbkl211q5ckak4bgv1gmm7sgm9ol11nqfc@4ax.com...
: >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
: The most accurate diagnostic instrument
: in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
: >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 6, 2005 11:24:06 PM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:02:36 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Thanks for your input. Chris Cquirke, are you disappointed in my decision to
>mail the debate between me, you and Gary S. Terhune to Microsoft as well?

No, that doesn't bother me

>All I want is to make life easier for computer users and help make Microsoft
>even more money as well as making the world a little bit nicer

Hmm... folks spying on others' computer use isn't what I'd call "nice"

>I am the kind of person that will go to any means to accomplish that

Hey, me too; that's why I press for some sware changes that I feel are
needed now and may become crucial on an emerrgency basis soon.

You will often hear the assertion that NT (XP) is "more secure", and
what that means is there is the potential for some users to apply a
very high degree of control over what other users can do. This is
appropriate in a corporate setting, where the corporation provides the
computer for the sole purpose of attaining the corporation's ends.

Logically, you cound extend this concept to the family, where parents
provide access to the family computer for specific purposes, e.g.
homework and school study. It provides a leverage opportunity too,
e.g. do this nicely, earn yourself another 30 minutes of game time.

One other aspect of how corporates secure their networks, is that they
don't seek to log every keystroke the user makes. Instead, they seek
to limit the use of the system so that the user cannot to anything
that the user is not supposed to do.

But when you look at how business puts this per-user security into
place, you begin to see a problem.

Most corporate networks employ one or more certified IT professionals
to administer the network, and it takes that level of expertise to
understand and wield this security power effectively. Not only does
the average parent lack these smarts, but often the children they seek
to control have sharper technical instincts or smarts than they do.
In effect, you may be doing battle on thier home turf.

The attacker has an advantage over the defender; if things break, it's
not thier problem. If I try to hack into a bank's network and I make
a mistake that crashes their systems and costs thousands of dollars an
hour, I'll just shrug and hide.

When kids find they can't do what they want to do, and press the reset
button to break in via Safe Mode, they don't particularly care if this
corrupts the parents' data or leaves the system unbootable, so the
parent has to pay a tech to get things sorted out.

That's why I'm inclined to advise against starting this sort of
escalating war of control and evasion - unless you enjoy hacking and
want your children to catch the thrill ;-)

>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The rights you save may be your own
>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
March 7, 2005 2:50:33 AM

Chris, I am only a single guy in his 20's who likes computers and I have used
them since I was about 7 when my dad taught me BASIC programming on our IBM
PCjr. Ideally, I would like to be able to acquire a software or hardware
firewall for that matter that will allow me to go on the offense and attack
any computer(s) that are trying to hack into my home/business network here in
Tucson, Arizona. At home I only own one of these computers but I help to
manage two other computers in the network for a total of three computers. My
housemate Dave manages his own computer with the help of other computer
techs. in our Christian church. I read something about a small company
selling a product like this in the Tucson Citizen a while back but I cannot
remember what the firewall or company was called and I cannot locate the
article. Any advice for me on how to go about finding out this information?
My only guess is to try and contact the Tucson Citizen and ask them about it
but I wonder if that will most likely prove to be fruitless. Thanks for your
reply and hopefully together we can help to get a new maintenance operating
system to replace DOS.

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:sjhm21pk0bkpclm5v8ub2fre0s99qk2gcp@4ax.com...
!