security issues

can someone plse help me. i was wondering if anyone out there knows of a
software program that i can download ( for free ) that allows me to montiors
every keystroke that is press etc on the computer and is hidden. i want to
montior my children actions when they are using the computer.

thks
10 answers Last reply
More about security issues

    Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software, activity
    logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software, activity
    > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.

    Watch out though, with the way lawyers and america work, your
    kids may just turn around and sue you.... invasion of privacy.

    regards Jane

    Besides, spying on your kids is not, to me, a decent thing to do. If
    you're going to monitor their activities, be up front and tell them what
    you're doing and why.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software,
    activity
    > > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.
    >

    > Watch out though, with the way lawyers and america work, your
    > kids may just turn around and sue you.... invasion of privacy.
    >
    > regards Jane

    Exactly Gary and most of us are trying very hard not to have keyloggers on
    our machine. I had one once that neither Adaware or Spybot -- Search and
    Destroy picked up but SpySweeper by Webroot found it and the associated
    registry keys. That is just one reason I am so pro-SpySweeper. I cannot
    comment on Webroot's other software because I have not tried it.

    : Besides, spying on your kids is not, to me, a decent thing to do. If
    : you're going to monitor their activities, be up front and tell them what
    : you're doing and why.
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : news:%23Fd$gnXIFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : >
    : >

    On 05-Mar-05 3:17 PM India Time, _Brian A._ wrote:

    > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software, activity
    > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.

    You might first read the legal implications of using that.

    What if your children sue you? depends on how old they are.

    ---
    Also check whether your wife/kids have not already put a
    keylogger and are checking your activities.

    --
    Rawat

    I truly wonder why anyone wants keyloggers since they are annoying and can we
    say 1984 book by George Orwell.

    "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
    : On 05-Mar-05 3:17 PM India Time, _Brian A._ wrote:
    :
    : > Do a search on the web for keystroke logger, monitoring software,
    activity
    : > logger, yadayada or any other of several search terms.
    : >
    :
    : You might first read the legal implications of using that.
    :
    : What if your children sue you? depends on how old they are.
    :
    : ---

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:35:28 +1000, <mail> wrote:

    >can someone plse help me. i was wondering if anyone out there knows of a
    >software program that i can download ( for free ) that allows me to montiors
    >every keystroke that is press etc on the computer and is hidden. i want to
    >montior my children actions when they are using the computer.

    I'd step back a bit; it sounds like you are trying to use technology
    as a steamroller to flatten some relationship / trust issues.

    If there's one thing the ongoing combat between malware and defensive
    software has taught me, is the futility of that approach.

    There are several malware ITW (In The Wild) that do something like
    what you are looking for, except they send that info off somewhere
    else. Is that really the company you want to keep?

    FWIW, my approach - assuming I did not trust the childern involved -
    would be to keep thier private PC off the 'net, and let them do the
    Internet stuff on a PC that's in an open family space.

    If you can't trust them, then the battle's largely lost, but you could
    try "securing" the Internet-connected PC so that it's less available
    when you are not there to spy on them.

    Also, consider what you are asking, from a technical standpoint.
    Recording every keystroke and mouse click will be meaningless without
    context, and storing this data with full context is going to create a
    HUGE amount of material. If it takes as long to play this back to
    assess it, when will you have the time?

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Thanks for your input. Chris Cquirke, are you disappointed in my decision to
    mail the debate between me, you and Gary S. Terhune to Microsoft as well?
    All I want is to make life easier for computer users and help make Microsoft
    even more money as well as making the world that we live in a little bit
    nicer and I am the kind of person that will go to any means to accomplish
    that end. If I offended you as well as I offended Gary S. Terhune then I am
    truly sorry and I hope that it does not hurt our relationship. BTW, I hope
    the same is true of me and Gary S. Terhune because I see you and him as great
    men who are movers and shakers in the computer world. Everyone have a great
    day!

    Godspeed! (May God Go With All Of You)

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:vbkl211q5ckak4bgv1gmm7sgm9ol11nqfc@4ax.com...
    : >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:02:36 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >Thanks for your input. Chris Cquirke, are you disappointed in my decision to
    >mail the debate between me, you and Gary S. Terhune to Microsoft as well?

    No, that doesn't bother me

    >All I want is to make life easier for computer users and help make Microsoft
    >even more money as well as making the world a little bit nicer

    Hmm... folks spying on others' computer use isn't what I'd call "nice"

    >I am the kind of person that will go to any means to accomplish that

    Hey, me too; that's why I press for some sware changes that I feel are
    needed now and may become crucial on an emerrgency basis soon.

    You will often hear the assertion that NT (XP) is "more secure", and
    what that means is there is the potential for some users to apply a
    very high degree of control over what other users can do. This is
    appropriate in a corporate setting, where the corporation provides the
    computer for the sole purpose of attaining the corporation's ends.

    Logically, you cound extend this concept to the family, where parents
    provide access to the family computer for specific purposes, e.g.
    homework and school study. It provides a leverage opportunity too,
    e.g. do this nicely, earn yourself another 30 minutes of game time.

    One other aspect of how corporates secure their networks, is that they
    don't seek to log every keystroke the user makes. Instead, they seek
    to limit the use of the system so that the user cannot to anything
    that the user is not supposed to do.

    But when you look at how business puts this per-user security into
    place, you begin to see a problem.

    Most corporate networks employ one or more certified IT professionals
    to administer the network, and it takes that level of expertise to
    understand and wield this security power effectively. Not only does
    the average parent lack these smarts, but often the children they seek
    to control have sharper technical instincts or smarts than they do.
    In effect, you may be doing battle on thier home turf.

    The attacker has an advantage over the defender; if things break, it's
    not thier problem. If I try to hack into a bank's network and I make
    a mistake that crashes their systems and costs thousands of dollars an
    hour, I'll just shrug and hide.

    When kids find they can't do what they want to do, and press the reset
    button to break in via Safe Mode, they don't particularly care if this
    corrupts the parents' data or leaves the system unbootable, so the
    parent has to pay a tech to get things sorted out.

    That's why I'm inclined to advise against starting this sort of
    escalating war of control and evasion - unless you enjoy hacking and
    want your children to catch the thrill ;-)

    >------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The rights you save may be your own
    >------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Chris, I am only a single guy in his 20's who likes computers and I have used
    them since I was about 7 when my dad taught me BASIC programming on our IBM
    PCjr. Ideally, I would like to be able to acquire a software or hardware
    firewall for that matter that will allow me to go on the offense and attack
    any computer(s) that are trying to hack into my home/business network here in
    Tucson, Arizona. At home I only own one of these computers but I help to
    manage two other computers in the network for a total of three computers. My
    housemate Dave manages his own computer with the help of other computer
    techs. in our Christian church. I read something about a small company
    selling a product like this in the Tucson Citizen a while back but I cannot
    remember what the firewall or company was called and I cannot locate the
    article. Any advice for me on how to go about finding out this information?
    My only guess is to try and contact the Tucson Citizen and ask them about it
    but I wonder if that will most likely prove to be fruitless. Thanks for your
    reply and hopefully together we can help to get a new maintenance operating
    system to replace DOS.

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:sjhm21pk0bkpclm5v8ub2fre0s99qk2gcp@4ax.com...
    : The rights you save may be your own