Blue screen error message, need help

I have been getting the following BSD error message and I would like to fix the
underling problem

A fatal exception OE has occurred
at 0028: C0005257 in VDX VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257

I am running WIN 98 first addition with all security updates
on an old AMD K2 350 MGH processor on an ASUS mother board.

I am also not the most technology oriented person but I am reasonably
intelligent so I think with the proper direction from someone here I will be
able to solve the problem.

Thanks
Alfagunner

When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?

Here's a good place to start:

What Are Fatal Exception Errors
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314

How to fix a fatal exception error.:

http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?

They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at other
times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5

> Here's a good place to start:
>
> What Are Fatal Exception Errors
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
>
> How to fix a fatal exception error.:
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
>
> http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
>
> http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been getting the following BSD error message and I would like to fix
the
> > underling problem
> >
> > A fatal exception OE has occurred
> > at 0028: C0005257 in VDX VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
> >
> > I am running WIN 98 first addition with all security updates
> > on an old AMD K2 350 MGH processor on an ASUS mother board.
> >
> > I am also not the most technology oriented person but I am reasonably
> > intelligent so I think with the proper direction from someone here I will be
> > able to solve the problem.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alfagunner

Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257. This
was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########

You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.

If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a longshot.
--

> > When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?
>
> They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at other
> times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5
> >
> > Here's a good place to start:
> >
> > What Are Fatal Exception Errors
> > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
> >
> > How to fix a fatal exception error.:
> > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
> >
> > http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
> >
> > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I have been getting the following BSD error message and I would like to fix
> the
> > > underling problem
> > >
> > > A fatal exception OE has occurred
> > > at 0028: C0005257 in VDX VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
> > >
> > > I am running WIN 98 first addition with all security updates
> > > on an old AMD K2 350 MGH processor on an ASUS mother board.
> > >
> > > I am also not the most technology oriented person but I am reasonably
> > > intelligent so I think with the proper direction from someone here I will be
> > > able to solve the problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Alfagunner

Glen,
Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged registry, or a RAM
failure
could be the problem.
I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that provides any
positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
If that does not help I don't know what to do next.

Richard

> Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
> Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257.
This
> was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########
>
> You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.
>
> If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a
longshot.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?
> >
> > They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at
other
> > times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5
> > >
> > > Here's a good place to start:
> > >
> > > What Are Fatal Exception Errors
> > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
> > >
> > > How to fix a fatal exception error.:
> > > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > the

post back with your results. Remove and reseat the RAM. You may carefully clean
the contacts on the RAM module, using a pencil eraser. You can also do a RAM test
from a floppy boot, by using one of these testers:

DocMemory
http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

MemTest86+:
http://www.memtest.org/

Windows Memory Tester
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
--

> Glen,
> Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
> is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged registry, or a RAM
> failure
> could be the problem.
> I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that provides any
> positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
> If that does not help I don't know what to do next.
>
> Richard

> > Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
> > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257.
> This
> > was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########
> >
> > You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.
> >
> > If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a
> longshot.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at
> other
> > > times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5

> fix
> > > the

> will be

I ran a RAM check with the Microsoft Windows Memory Tester
I have a bad chip and will replace it
Thanks Glen

> post back with your results. Remove and reseat the RAM. You may carefully
clean
> the contacts on the RAM module, using a pencil eraser. You can also do a RAM
test
> from a floppy boot, by using one of these testers:
>
> DocMemory
> http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
>
> MemTest86+:
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Windows Memory Tester
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Glen,
> > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) +
00004257
> > is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged registry, or a
RAM
> > failure
> > could be the problem.
> > I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that provides any
> > positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
> > If that does not help I don't know what to do next.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
> > > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) +
00004257.
> > This
> > > was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########
> > >
> > > You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.
> > >
> > > If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a
> > longshot.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > other

> > fix

> > will be

You did remove, clean and reseat them before testing, right?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

+
> 00004257
> > > is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged
registry, or a
> RAM
> > > failure
> > > could be the problem.
> > > I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that
provides any
> > > positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
> > > If that does not help I don't know what to do next.
> > >
> > > Richard
> > >
> > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> 00004257.
> > > This

> > > longshot.

> > > other

> > > fix

> reasonably
> > > will be

Yes both before and after I cleaned them.

Thanks for the advice

Just making sure, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune