Blue screen error message, need help

I have been getting the following BSD error message and I would like to fix the
underling problem

A fatal exception OE has occurred
at 0028: C0005257 in VDX VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257

I am running WIN 98 first addition with all security updates
on an old AMD K2 350 MGH processor on an ASUS mother board.

I am also not the most technology oriented person but I am reasonably
intelligent so I think with the proper direction from someone here I will be
able to solve the problem.

Thanks
Alfagunner
9 answers Last reply
More about blue screen error message help

    When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?

    Here's a good place to start:

    What Are Fatal Exception Errors
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314

    How to fix a fatal exception error.:

    http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm

    http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?

    They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at other
    times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5

    > Here's a good place to start:
    >
    > What Are Fatal Exception Errors
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
    >
    > How to fix a fatal exception error.:
    > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
    >
    > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been getting the following BSD error message and I would like to fix
    the
    > > underling problem
    > >
    > > A fatal exception OE has occurred
    > > at 0028: C0005257 in VDX VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
    > >
    > > I am running WIN 98 first addition with all security updates
    > > on an old AMD K2 350 MGH processor on an ASUS mother board.
    > >
    > > I am also not the most technology oriented person but I am reasonably
    > > intelligent so I think with the proper direction from someone here I will be
    > > able to solve the problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Alfagunner

    Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
    Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257. This
    was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########

    You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.

    If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a longshot.
    --

    > > When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?
    >
    > They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at other
    > times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5
    > >
    > > Here's a good place to start:
    > >
    > > What Are Fatal Exception Errors
    > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
    > >
    > > How to fix a fatal exception error.:
    > > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have been getting the following BSD error message and I would like to fix
    > the
    > > > underling problem
    > > >
    > > > A fatal exception OE has occurred
    > > > at 0028: C0005257 in VDX VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
    > > >
    > > > I am running WIN 98 first addition with all security updates
    > > > on an old AMD K2 350 MGH processor on an ASUS mother board.
    > > >
    > > > I am also not the most technology oriented person but I am reasonably
    > > > intelligent so I think with the proper direction from someone here I will be
    > > > able to solve the problem.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Alfagunner

    Glen,
    Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
    is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged registry, or a RAM
    failure
    could be the problem.
    I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that provides any
    positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
    If that does not help I don't know what to do next.

    Richard

    > Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
    > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257.
    This
    > was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########
    >
    > You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.
    >
    > If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a
    longshot.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > When do the errors occur? What are you doing, what is running?
    > >
    > > They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at
    other
    > > times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5
    > > >
    > > > Here's a good place to start:
    > > >
    > > > What Are Fatal Exception Errors
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
    > > >
    > > > How to fix a fatal exception error.:
    > > > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > the

    post back with your results. Remove and reseat the RAM. You may carefully clean
    the contacts on the RAM module, using a pencil eraser. You can also do a RAM test
    from a floppy boot, by using one of these testers:

    DocMemory
    http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

    MemTest86+:
    http://www.memtest.org/

    Windows Memory Tester
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    --

    > Glen,
    > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257
    > is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged registry, or a RAM
    > failure
    > could be the problem.
    > I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that provides any
    > positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
    > If that does not help I don't know what to do next.
    >
    > Richard

    > > Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
    > > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) + 00004257.
    > This
    > > was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########
    > >
    > > You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.
    > >
    > > If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a
    > longshot.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > They happen while browsing the web, sometimes Outlook Express is open at
    > other
    > > > times the only thing running is Internet Exp version 5.5

    > fix
    > > > the

    > will be

    I ran a RAM check with the Microsoft Windows Memory Tester
    I have a bad chip and will replace it
    Thanks Glen

    > post back with your results. Remove and reseat the RAM. You may carefully
    clean
    > the contacts on the RAM module, using a pencil eraser. You can also do a RAM
    test
    > from a floppy boot, by using one of these testers:
    >
    > DocMemory
    > http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
    >
    > MemTest86+:
    > http://www.memtest.org/
    >
    > Windows Memory Tester
    > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Glen,
    > > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) +
    00004257
    > > is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged registry, or a
    RAM
    > > failure
    > > could be the problem.
    > > I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that provides any
    > > positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
    > > If that does not help I don't know what to do next.
    > >
    > > Richard
    > >
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > Please provide the rest of the error message, exactly.
    > > > Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0005257 in VXD VMM ( 01 ) +
    00004257.
    > > This
    > > > was called from ####: ####### in VXD <filename> (##) + ########
    > > >
    > > > You could have a damaged registry, or a RAM failure.
    > > >
    > > > If you are using IE 5.5, you do not have the latest security updates, by a
    > > longshot.
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Richard Rynar" <alfagunner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > other

    > > fix

    > > will be

    You did remove, clean and reseat them before testing, right?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    +
    > 00004257
    > > > is the complete error message I get. I think either a damaged
    registry, or a
    > RAM
    > > > failure
    > > > could be the problem.
    > > > I will try removing and reinstalling the RAM and see if that
    provides any
    > > > positive result, maybe they worked loose :)
    > > > If that does not help I don't know what to do next.
    > > >
    > > > Richard
    > > >
    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > 00004257.
    > > > This

    > > > longshot.

    > > > other

    > > > fix

    > reasonably
    > > > will be

    Yes both before and after I cleaned them.

    Thanks for the advice

    Just making sure, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Alfagunner" <dbltap@email.com> wrote in message
    > Yes both before and after I cleaned them.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice

    > > You did remove, clean and reseat them before testing, right?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Richard Rynar" <frogy1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > I ran a RAM check with the Microsoft Windows Memory Tester
    > > > I have a bad chip and will replace it
    > > > Thanks Glen
    > > >
    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > carefully