Consensus best Voip service for the layman?

I want to transfer my cell # to a Voip service. I've looked at
Vonage, Broadvoice, Packet8, and Voicepulse.

I am not quite a layman and techie enough to use a few advanced
services but it is not that big of a deal, though being able to
customize caller ID info on incoming calls would be helpful. I am
just wondering what service most people think is "best"?

I am in the USA and want unlimited incoming and outgoing in the US and
that is all.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

John M

john@munsey.net (John Munsey Jr) writes:

>I am in the USA and want unlimited incoming and outgoing in the US and
>that is all.

VoicePulse is the only *open* option for "unlimited" VoIP in the US.
(Someone jump in and correct me!)

If you ever want to do anything interesting with your VoIP service,
VP is the one to get.

(BTW, I use VoicePulse Connect! right now. It uses IAX but does not
have unlimited plans. I like it though.)

--kyler

>>I am in the USA and want unlimited incoming and outgoing in the US and
>>that is all.
>
>VoicePulse is the only *open* option for "unlimited" VoIP in the US.
>(Someone jump in and correct me!)

You're extremely incorrect. Vonage, Packet8, Lingo, and probably everyone
else have flat rate service, too.

If the person asking the original question wants to keep the same
phone number and port it from your cell phone to VoIP, Vonage is the
only VoIP vendor where I've heard that porting a number actually
worked.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

http://www.fonality.com ports too!

John R. Levine wrote:
>>>I am in the USA and want unlimited incoming and outgoing in the US and
>>>that is all.
>>
>>VoicePulse is the only *open* option for "unlimited" VoIP in the US.
>>(Someone jump in and correct me!)
>

> You're extremely incorrect. Vonage, Packet8, Lingo, and probably everyone
> else have flat rate service, too.
>
> If the person asking the original question wants to keep the same
> phone number and port it from your cell phone to VoIP, Vonage is the
> only VoIP vendor where I've heard that porting a number actually
> worked.
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
> Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
> "More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

Hmm well he mentioned *open* so I think he might be somewhat correct
in that regard, though Broadvoice has an unlimited plan that is also
*open*..

So are you saying that number portability is only available with
Vonage, or it doesn't work with the other services?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On 27 Aug 2004 09:11:44 -0700, john@munsey.net (John Munsey Jr) wrote:

>I want to transfer my cell # to a Voip service. I've looked at
>Vonage, Broadvoice, Packet8, and Voicepulse.
>
>I am not quite a layman and techie enough to use a few advanced
>services but it is not that big of a deal, though being able to
>customize caller ID info on incoming calls would be helpful. I am
>just wondering what service most people think is "best"?
>
>I am in the USA and want unlimited incoming and outgoing in the US and
>that is all.
>
>Any comments are appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>John M

John:

I've tried packed 8x8 and VoicePulse. I am staying with VoicePulse,
it is excellent. There is a comparison chart of services located at
this address that pretty much sums up the service offerings to date.
As always, I would expect things to rapidly change in the next few
months.

Cheers,
Steve

See : http://www.roffe.net/voip/

Ok I am a little concerned. I just got a new cell phone on top of my
old one. I was going to transfer my old cell phone # to a Voip
account and cancel that old account, but I weary if that will work.

I use T-Mobile and my # starts with 713-291 Voicepulse's tool says
they cannot transfer it, and Vonage's questionaire looks like it is
for landlines, not cell lines, but says they can transfer it.

How does all of this work and what is a reasonable expectation? If I
cannot be assured within a week or so that my # can be transferred I
will cancel that new T-Mobile account and return everything (I can do
this thankfully) and just get a Voip account.

Any comments?

Steve <flabear@REMOVE.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<nfm1j0lnq02ur4joug5mpknmud19u051ne@4ax.com>...
> On 27 Aug 2004 09:11:44 -0700, john@munsey.net (John Munsey Jr) wrote:
>
> >I want to transfer my cell # to a Voip service. I've looked at
> >Vonage, Broadvoice, Packet8, and Voicepulse.
> >
> >I am not quite a layman and techie enough to use a few advanced
> >services but it is not that big of a deal, though being able to
> >customize caller ID info on incoming calls would be helpful. I am
> >just wondering what service most people think is "best"?
> >
> >I am in the USA and want unlimited incoming and outgoing in the US and
> >that is all.
> >
> >Any comments are appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >John M
>
> John:
>
> I've tried packed 8x8 and VoicePulse. I am staying with VoicePulse,
> it is excellent. There is a comparison chart of services located at
> this address that pretty much sums up the service offerings to date.
> As always, I would expect things to rapidly change in the next few
> months.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> See : http://www.roffe.net/voip/

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On 29 Aug 2004 02:52:40 -0700, john@munsey.net (John Munsey Jr) wrote:

>Ok I am a little concerned. I just got a new cell phone on top of my
>old one. I was going to transfer my old cell phone # to a Voip
>account and cancel that old account, but I weary if that will work.
>
>I use T-Mobile and my # starts with 713-291 Voicepulse's tool says
>they cannot transfer it, and Vonage's questionaire looks like it is
>for landlines, not cell lines, but says they can transfer it.
>
>How does all of this work and what is a reasonable expectation? If I
>cannot be assured within a week or so that my # can be transferred I
>will cancel that new T-Mobile account and return everything (I can do
>this thankfully) and just get a Voip account.
>
>Any comments?

If it were me, I'd just get a new number (I did). Just let those you
care about know that you have a new number. Your old number should be
set to say "the new number is...". With VP, they'll tell you the new
number before the equipment even arrives.

Personally, I feel no allegiance to a telephone number. It's like an
e-mail address, or your home address. When you change it, send an
announcement.

Cheers,

Steve

I totally see your point, but in my case I use this # for business
reasons, and it is a cool #. My new cell number is identical except
for the prefix, so that is nice too.

Also, I have several of my own domain names, and as you can the one I
use has my last name, so barring inundation of spam or new standards
my e-mail address will never change..

Voicepulse and Vonage both told me over the phone that I can transfer
my #. I just have to take the chance it indeed will transfer. If not
I either will have to lose my old #, have two cell phones, or pay a
cancellation fee to T-Mobile, but selling the phone I got for a major
discount might pay for most of the cancel fee.

Thanks for the info

John,

Try lingo.com

I had my number ported and they work great. $19.95/ month. unlimited
long distance. first 3 months free.

put my email mdmolone@juno.com as a referal and we both get a $25
credit at the end of your free trial.

good luck.