Start / Run / ????

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 4, 2005 11:15:51 PM

Windows 98. Is there a site that shows all the things i can type in the
"run" box ?. I know about "msconfig", "sfc",and "winver" but do not know
what "cleanmgr" does. Thanks for any help.

More about : start run

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:53:53 AM

No there isn't. Essentially, you can run almost anything from the RUN
box. What you have to remember is that when you run something like
MSCONFIG, you are really telling it to run "C:\Windows\MSCONFIG.EXE" You
don't need to include the Path (C:\Windows\), in this case, because
"C:\Windows" is in the "Path Environment", a list of directories that
the command interpreter look in for the executable when the path isn't
explicit. The command interpreter also doesn't require including the EXE
or COM extensions, because it will assume it's one or the other. Where
you can get into trouble is if there are two executables with the same
name, but in different paths. The first one the command interpreter
comes across is the one that will be used, and if the first one in the
path isn't the one you want, you have to state it explicitly (which is
why problems sometimes occur when applications add themselves to the
Path, if they add themselves to the beginning of the Path statement
instead of to the end of the statement.) There are also sometimes two
files that have the same name, but one is an EXE file and one is a COM
file, for the same reason--whichever one gets found first will be the
one that gets executed.

But back to the basics. You could do almost *everything* you want to do
using the Run box to open files, folders, run apps, etc. For instance,
the following will open a file called MyFile.txt in My Documents:

C:\Windows\Notepad.exe "C:\My Documents\MyFile.txt"

Notice that I used quotation marks around the file's path/filename,
because there is a space in the path of that file. Without the quotes,
the command interpreter stops reading at that point and will fail,
saying it can't find any folder named "C:\My". But I could have
shortened that:

notepad c:\mydocu~1\myfile.txt

There are innumerable things you might do using the Run box. If you only
state a path, but no file, that folder opens. The application you're
launching may have switches or parameters that can be invoked, and on,
and on.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Earl" <ezriderman@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Windows 98. Is there a site that shows all the things i can type in
the
> "run" box ?. I know about "msconfig", "sfc",and "winver" but do not
know
> what "cleanmgr" does. Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:29:12 AM

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:15:51 -0800, ezriderman@webtv.net (Earl)
wrote:

>Windows 98. Is there a site that shows all the things i can type in the
>"run" box ?. I know about "msconfig", "sfc",and "winver" but do not know
>what "cleanmgr" does. Thanks for any help.

Many things with an *exe, *.bat or *.com extension. Some Dos
programs etc.

Some to try:
hwinfo /ui System hardware info
Msinfo32 Info about your system (see tools)
Sysedit Edit system files
Dxdiag direct X diagnostics
Winipcfg details of your current internet connection
Command A dos box

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:39:30 PM

Bill Watt wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:15:51 -0800, ezriderman@webtv.net (Earl)
> wrote:
>

>>Windows 98. Is there a site that shows all the things i can type in the
>>"run" box ?. I know about "msconfig", "sfc",and "winver" but do not know
>>what "cleanmgr" does. Thanks for any help.
>

> Many things with an *exe, *.bat or *.com extension. Some Dos
> programs etc.
>
> Some to try:
> hwinfo /ui System hardware info

Ah! Thanks Bill, that is *really* useful. I can see that I have a pile
of registry keys in the 'Run Key' section relating to S*m*nt*c and Roxio
stuff that I uninstalled ages ago.

Must have a poke around in there - with all due precautions observed, natch.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com