Sign in with
Your question

ABIT UL8 Socket 939 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard USB issues

Last response: in Motherboards
April 20, 2006 1:33:17 PM

Hi,

I currently some USB ports issues. One of problems is my back-up battery (APC Back-UPS ES) will lose connection with USB port. I can disconnect, and reconnected and that it work most of time. Other time will disconnect and reconnect in rapid sections. Another issues is with power USB Hub, I get a problem where the USB hub power is been exceeded( I had this power hub in my last system, and that problem never showed up before). And last issue is ,that mostly concered me, if I turn off the computer and connect a USB device,that computer will automatically turn on. I been working on computers for 10 years, but I never seen connecting USB device starting the computer.

Configuration:

ABIt UL8 Socket 939 ULi
Athlon 64 3700+
ATI 9800 pro (want to upgrade 7800,but want to resolve this issue first).
Creative X-FI
WD Raptor 150
2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120 Meg (RAID 0)(Use for gaming)
PCI to FireWire IEEE 1394 Host Adapter
April 20, 2006 2:10:12 PM

Quote:
And last issue is ,that mostly concered me, if I turn off the computer and connect a USB device,that computer will automatically turn on. I been working on computers for 10 years, but I never seen connecting USB device starting the computer.

it's a recent addition to the BIOS of some mobos
June 23, 2008 7:19:23 PM

Unfortunately, there was a mistake in the building of the board, or possibly an oversight..

One of the USB groups (or maybe the central control) seems to have the exact IRQ mapping as the Network port. You have the opposite issue than I have.. When I try to pull files from my UL8 board, it crashes and boots. Both issues are resulted from Shared IRQs.

Windows could have fixed this logically, but also does not appear to provide a solution..

Worse yet, setting the board manually doesn't help either..

Hopefully ABIT comes up with a solution, or allows us to disable IRQs..

If I go really nuts, I may reengineer a BIOS to handle this... We'll see.

sorry, I don't have a solution, but I hope to hear the answer myself.
Related resources
March 9, 2010 1:40:43 AM

kg4dhz

This is the first and only answer I have found about what is happening to me when trying to use my PC as media server for my PS3, Beside being curious about how you find this out, have you discover someway to disable the IRQ sharing as a solution to this??? I can even live without the USB ports????

Thank for your time and my regards for your insight in this issue.

Pancho

kg4dhz said:
Unfortunately, there was a mistake in the building of the board, or possibly an oversight..

One of the USB groups (or maybe the central control) seems to have the exact IRQ mapping as the Network port. You have the opposite issue than I have.. When I try to pull files from my UL8 board, it crashes and boots. Both issues are resulted from Shared IRQs.

Windows could have fixed this logically, but also does not appear to provide a solution..

Worse yet, setting the board manually doesn't help either..

Hopefully ABIT comes up with a solution, or allows us to disable IRQs..

If I go really nuts, I may reengineer a BIOS to handle this... We'll see.

sorry, I don't have a solution, but I hope to hear the answer myself.

March 9, 2010 10:31:40 AM

After quite a few hours trying to figure it out, I dug around looking for solutions. I've worked with computers since about 1980 (1983 officially), and have not seen this configuration.. When I finally started messing with settings in BIOS and Windows, I finally realized the sound card was a USB device, which is not normally done, even today..

We'll just call it dumb luck.. but it works..

I have gotten into streamlining PCs lately, and have even been looking into the ability to chop out unnecessary .INF files from Windows to speed up boot processes..

Since I never found it online either, I figured this would be a good place. I have had a few strange problems lately, and need to update them online.. My HP laptop had a charging issue, and after going over it very closely, I found the power supply had a bad wire, but was not visible outside, and passed EVERY test. After removing about 6 inches from the cord at the transformer side, it is back to normal. Until the last 2 months, there were no solutions on this, and I've been chasing it for 2 years.

Just remember, when all else fails, Sledgehammer. It works! Really.
March 9, 2010 1:30:55 PM

hahaha I has gotten my slice of not supported hardware already, that is mostly the reason of all this kind of issues.....

My laptop has a lot of problems too, because it was never thought for more than Windows XP (even being released in the verge of Vista, not talk about W7).

Back to the PC problem, I am trying to overcome this issue installing an old network card and disabling the mobo integrated. Last night tried to disable all USB support (BIOS), but got the same problem when trying to play movies from the PS3. Of course, I did not know that the integrated sound card was a USB device too.

Will tell you what result from this.

Pancho

kg4dhz said:
After quite a few hours trying to figure it out, I dug around looking for solutions. I've worked with computers since about 1980 (1983 officially), and have not seen this configuration.. When I finally started messing with settings in BIOS and Windows, I finally realized the sound card was a USB device, which is not normally done, even today..

We'll just call it dumb luck.. but it works..

I have gotten into streamlining PCs lately, and have even been looking into the ability to chop out unnecessary .INF files from Windows to speed up boot processes..

Since I never found it online either, I figured this would be a good place. I have had a few strange problems lately, and need to update them online.. My HP laptop had a charging issue, and after going over it very closely, I found the power supply had a bad wire, but was not visible outside, and passed EVERY test. After removing about 6 inches from the cord at the transformer side, it is back to normal. Until the last 2 months, there were no solutions on this, and I've been chasing it for 2 years.

Just remember, when all else fails, Sledgehammer. It works! Really.

!