Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

So if I were to partition my hard drive you mean it could damage my
current windows or do you mean if I partition and then bung xp on one
side that would damage it(question mark). Sorry if I sound dim but I
have no experience concerning dual booting or creating partitions. I
have software to do the partition but it seems most are advising
against putting xp on my system. Can you tell me how do you convert
the fat32 to the ntfs needed for xp. I read that it does not do it
automatically. Basically I need a step by step guide to creating a
partition and on installing xp so that win98se runs on the other bit of
the hard drive.
Thanks

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
5 answers Last reply

    *Any* procedure, even just powering up your system (and some events that
    occur when your system is turned off, even) have the potential for
    mucking up your system and/or destroying data. That's what backups are
    all about. So, Step One is to back up anything you can't bear to part
    with. Backing up important, irreplaceable personal files to a CD or DVD
    is the minimum. Imaging the entire system to a separate, detachable hard
    drive is the fastest and best solution for backing up the entire system.

    There are two decent ways to dual-boot Win98 and WinXP. One is to simply
    create room on your hard disk(s) for the XP system, then install it.
    Setup will see that there is another Windows system in place and install
    a boot manager. It will place the boot management files on the Win9x
    side (or one of the Win9x sides if there are more than one) so that...
    Well, probably because you can always get to a Win9x partition using a
    Windows Startup disk. Not necessarily true for the XP side.

    The other way is to use a 3rd-party boot manager like Partition Magic or
    BootIt NG. I prefer and use BootIt NG, so that's what I'll talk about
    and refer to from here on out. If all you have now is one HDD, and it is
    already filled with partitions, you'll have to make space for the XP
    installation, and that means either deleting one of the partitions (if
    there are now more than one) or shrinking the existing partition and
    adding a new one in the resulting free space. Once free space is
    available, Windows XP can add the partition and format it. But in order
    to save your existing system, you'll probably need a third-party app--XP
    Setup can destroy or create partitions, that's all. Of course, the
    obvious best solution for all of the points I've made thus far is to get
    a new hard drive to house the XP system. You leave your 98 system
    entirely untouched, especially if you go with my next suggestion...

    The other main reason to use a third-party boot manager is to Hide the
    Win98 partition from the Windows XP side, and vice-versa. You may not
    want to, but here's why I do it--Windows XP will simply *not* leave a
    partition alone if it can recognize it. It adds various and sundry
    little things that "help" in its management of your system. Vice-versa,
    some utilities and other procedures in Windows 98, if you're not careful
    and constantly vigilant, can muck up the XP side. Only a third-party
    boot manager can effectively hide one from the other (well, Windows XP
    disk management tools see the Hidden partitions, but don't recognize the
    format and thus leave them alone.)

    There's one obvious reason for not hiding one side from the other: You
    may want to access files on one side from the other. The solution is to
    make use of multiple partitions, putting everything but basic system and
    applications files on one or more shared partitions. My standard setup,
    even for a one-OS system, is a minimum of four partitions: One for the
    OS and applications, one for TEMP folders, one for personal data, and
    one for long-term storage of downloaded files, patches, etc., backups of
    personal data, etc. (That's my minimum setup--I often create more,
    dedicated to music and other multimedia files, for instance, or other
    dedicated purposes.) Partitions that are not OS partitions should come
    after any OS partition(s) on the HDD, and should be Volumes in an
    Extended Partition.

    One other thing I should clear up for you: XP can run on NTFS *or* FAT32
    formatted partitions. FAT32 has two benefits for XP--you can get to its
    files using a DOS startup floppy or from a Windows 9x system, and you
    can use DOS and Win9x tools on the partition. For those same reason,
    NTFS is the preferred solution if you are concerned about security. It's
    rather difficult to get to files on an NTFS system without the password
    and/or a lot of uninterrupted physical access time.

    Now, once you have digested the above, post back with your choice of
    solutions, and include your current setup--current hardware
    configuration, particularly anything that the Upgrade Advisor suggests
    may be a problem HDD size, free space, number of partitions in
    existence, etc. *Then* I will commit to suggesting step-by-step
    procedures. Until you have a clear understanding of what you want the
    end product to do, it's fruitless, or at least very confusing, to offer
    advice on specific procedures. (And, yes, I know you've probably posted
    some of this before, but let's have it all in one place, OK?)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1leyby@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > > It might have been a political decision not to follow the "Unix way"
    > > which declares "create an app that does ONE job, but does it well!",
    > > and
    > > to try to combine a whole sets of applications that interact in
    every
    > > possible way.
    > > So the finished system is prone to failures as users differ in their
    > > usages.
    > > And the dual line of codes is with us from Win3 to WinME for more
    than
    > > decade.
    > > In the meantime some computer student wrote some code to copy the
    > > behaviour of his Unix universitaic mainframe on his desktop "IBM
    > > compatible" put the result on internet and Linux came to life.
    > > So life became difficult for accounting and marketing branches of
    > > Microsoft and they start cutting corners.

    Great Advice, Gary. I am amazed and almost always learn something from
    reading your posts. In the future, when I need to format and do it all again
    I will definately go with a third party bootloader like BootItNG. Are there
    any solutions in the industry for people who want the convenience of Fat32
    regarding 9x and getting down to the core level and the security of NTFS?

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1leyby@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
    : news:PSYCHOPIXIE.1leyby@news.win98banter.com...
    : >
    : > Stanislaw Flatto Wrote:
    : > > Dan wrote:-
[...]
    : > > a
    : > > decade.
    : > > In the meantime some computer student wrote some code to copy the
    : > > behaviour of his Unix universitaic mainframe on his desktop "IBM
    : > > compatible" put the result on internet and Linux came to life.
    : > > So life became difficult for accounting and marketing branches of
    : > > Microsoft and they start cutting corners.
    : > > Consumers, what about them?
    : > >
    : > > Have fun
    : > >
    : > > Stanislaw
    : > > Linux user No.162760
    : >
    : >
    : > --
    : > PSYCHOPIXIE
    :

    PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:
    > So if I were to partition my hard drive you mean it could damage my
    > current windows or do you mean if I partition and then bung xp on one
    > side that would damage it(question mark). Sorry if I sound dim but I
    > have no experience concerning dual booting or creating partitions. I
    > have software to do the partition but it seems most are advising
    > against putting xp on my system. Can you tell me how do you convert
    > the fat32 to the ntfs needed for xp. I read that it does not do it
    > automatically. Basically I need a step by step guide to creating a
    > partition and on installing xp so that win98se runs on the other bit of
    > the hard drive.
    > Thanks

    OK, lets do it VERY slowly.
    Your set of questions confirm that from administrative point of view you
    are at the starting point.
    So there are two possibilities.
    a) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    b) Take a deep breath, cross yourself and dive in. Either everything
    goes well or you face "steep learning slope" with the possible mistakes
    on the way from minor to catastrofic.

    It's your box so chose one of them.

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Dan wrote:

    > Are there
    > any solutions in the industry for people who want the convenience of Fat32
    > regarding 9x and getting down to the core level and the security of NTFS?

    Dan, what happened to you?
    Convenience means getting home tired after day of work, switching on the
    box to check e-mails and maybe playing few rounds of Patience.
    Configuring security on ANY file system is "never-ending" job and on
    single user boxen it usually ends with the Aussie call: "It will be OK,
    mate!" hoping that it is true.
    Lets face it, when beying both user and administrator on your own box
    you play preferences which are NOT permissible on multiuser system.
    So it is a vicious circle.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw.

    It is a vicious circle and it remains a constant but enjoyable task of
    managing 3 of 4 computers on our home/business network here in Tucson,
    Arizona. I am ready to go on the offense as far as acquiring an active
    firewall that will allow my network to annihilate any computer that may try
    to enter it. To me this would be great fun because I could be using my
    network, computers and expertise to fight the ever-complex task of destroying
    hackers, spammers, and other people that try to make life miserable for the
    little consumer. I wonder when these hackers will take their fight to the
    enemy and try to stop people that are trying to hurt the U.S.A. and our
    allies.

    "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
    : Dan wrote:
    :
[...]