Uninstal, leftover files and errors

Hi all,
Starting new thread but its a continuation of the damn burner saga.
I downloaded the Nero Software from a link glee gave me to enable
me to burn stuff.
After a 20megs d/load on dial-up and finally installing, the damn
software said my Trial Period was Over......... yeah, right.
I tried to uninstal the software via add/rem and it said it was
successful, but after going to the folder in explorer where I placed it
I found lots of remnants. When I right click on this folder it now tells
me some of it is attached to the registry......... great I thought.
Have left it there for now.

Second,,,
I downloaded Software that dadio linked me to, it is a Sony burning
piece of software.
After following all the instructions at the download site including::
1)Download the Software and instal
2)Download the Update and Execute it
3)Download the Passi Engine and execute it too.
I am finally ready to hopefully start burning, but No.
On firing it up, it states a Runtime 9 error, of which the site I got it
from said might happen and if so abort and try another proggy.
All that is fine except when I go to add/rem to get rid of it I get this
message:::::::::
"Missing 1 file(s), comparing with the stored uninstal information;
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sony CD Extreme.LNK"
would I like to 'continue'.
(No, I would rather put a stick of bloody dynamite under it)
I said NO as I am now very concerned about what has been
happening behind the scenes to my computer.

Also, when installing the Nero Software, it said it needed to Update
my System files as they are outdated.............. I didnt really want
to do this as I know once this sort of thing starts there is ALWAYS
problems. (but what could I do, so I said OK).
Also (again), when I went to 'find files or folders' and did a *.* search
for all things that happened today, I find that there are some
files in C:\Windows\APPLOG that relate to Nero.
I have re-booted many times, even shutting down totally and leaving
comp for a while, but they are still there.
Another oddity is/was that after some of the reboots, my cursor
would constantly change from pointer to hour glass each time I moved
it......... It isnt doing it now but who knows what the heck
will happen later.

Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
the baggage that has come with them?

Jeepers, all I flipping well wanted was to burn ONE cd so I could
instal xp............. boy, what a drama.
I am at the stage where I would like to go back a few days, but using win98
this is obviously
not possible. I would like advice regarding using the registry back-up cab
files so that I can
restore it to around two days ago as I dont like all that has been
happening.......... if of course
any here think that is a good idea.

regards Jane
(unhappy)
(btw, anyone know of a small reliable piece of software to burn one lousy
cd............ ha ha)
25 answers Last reply
More about uninstal leftover files errors

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Starting new thread but its a continuation of the damn burner saga.
    > I downloaded the Nero Software from a link glee gave me to enable
    > me to burn stuff.
    > After a 20megs d/load on dial-up and finally installing, the damn
    > software said my Trial Period was Over......... yeah, right.
    > I tried to uninstal the software via add/rem and it said it was
    > successful, but after going to the folder in explorer where I placed
    it
    > I found lots of remnants. When I right click on this folder it now
    tells
    > me some of it is attached to the registry......... great I thought.
    > Have left it there for now.
    >
    > Second,,,
    > I downloaded Software that dadio linked me to, it is a Sony burning
    > piece of software.
    > After following all the instructions at the download site including::
    > 1)Download the Software and instal
    > 2)Download the Update and Execute it
    > 3)Download the Passi Engine and execute it too.
    > I am finally ready to hopefully start burning, but No.
    > On firing it up, it states a Runtime 9 error, of which the site I got
    it
    > from said might happen and if so abort and try another proggy.
    > All that is fine except when I go to add/rem to get rid of it I get
    this
    > message:::::::::
    > "Missing 1 file(s), comparing with the stored uninstal information;
    > C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sony CD Extreme.LNK"
    > would I like to 'continue'.
    > (No, I would rather put a stick of bloody dynamite under it)
    > I said NO as I am now very concerned about what has been
    > happening behind the scenes to my computer.

    Delete the above file and anything from Nero and whatever the Sony app
    is called that are obviously only from those installations (shortcuts
    and folders that obviously only belong to those installations, as
    evidenced by name and Cate *Created* (not modified.) The usual places
    are in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files\Common, but me include
    folders on the C:\root. (Even if there are items in teh Windows and
    Windows\System folders, it's best tho leave those alone.) If you wnat to
    hedge your bets, rename the files (after making a list) and wait a while
    to see if anything untoward results.

    > Also, when installing the Nero Software, it said it needed to Update
    > my System files as they are outdated.............. I didnt
    really want
    > to do this as I know once this sort of thing starts there is ALWAYS
    > problems. (but what could I do, so I said OK).

    Leave those files alone! Unless you find obvious problems later on, it's
    too touchy a situation to be messing with. If, later on, you discover
    problems, you can fix those as needed. If you know what files they are,
    and it's not really easy to figure out unless you had another app
    monitor the installation, write them down and keep the list in a safe
    place. (You'll find it next year and scratch your head for a few moments
    before throwing it out.)

    > Also (again), when I went to 'find files or folders' and did a *.*
    search
    > for all things that happened today, I find that there are some
    > files in C:\Windows\APPLOG that relate to Nero.

    Ignore that, also. For the reasons I mentioned in a reply to your
    earlier post. If you're going to mess with APPLOG, it's better to simply
    DELTREE it from a Command Prompt Only startup.

    > I have re-booted many times, even shutting down totally and leaving
    > comp for a while, but they are still there.
    > Another oddity is/was that after some of the reboots, my cursor
    > would constantly change from pointer to hour glass each time I moved
    > it......... It isnt doing it now but who knows what the heck
    > will happen later.

    This occurs when something is happening in the background, eitehr a
    background app starting up or a one-time configuration change.

    > Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
    > the baggage that has come with them?

    Well, you *could* use a monitoring app that keeps absolute track of
    changes made to your system, and make full-system backups before every
    and every installation. But those can be tricky, too, since you don't
    necessarily know what else your system was up to while teh installation
    was proceeding, and might undo something later that you wish you hadn't.
    Simply put, these are the travails that one must endure unless you never
    install new apps or updates.

    > Jeepers, all I flipping well wanted was to burn ONE cd so I could
    > instal xp............. boy, what a drama.

    The person who loaned you the burner should have had a burning app to go
    with it. WOuld probably have saved a lot of heartache. Not saying it
    would have worked any better, but the odds would have been much more in
    your favor.

    > I am at the stage where I would like to go back a few days, but using
    win98
    > this is obviously
    > not possible. I would like advice regarding using the registry
    back-up cab
    > files so that I can
    > restore it to around two days ago as I dont like all that has been
    > happening.......... if of course
    > any here think that is a good idea.

    Restart to the Startup Menu (you know how to do that by now, yes?)
    Choose "Command Prompt Only". At the C:\> prompt run the following,
    pressing <Enter> at the end of each line:

    smartdrv
    scanreg /restore

    Choose the backup to restore based upon Date, not filename. When it's
    finished, use Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.

    > regards Jane
    > (unhappy)
    > (btw, anyone know of a small reliable piece of software to burn one
    lousy
    > cd............ ha ha)

    Yes, but it ain't free, and besides, you don't really know for certain
    that it wasn't the hardware in this case. Also, the apps you have
    already tried work just fine on most systems. Perhaps it's your system
    causing the indigestion, not vice-versa.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    On 05-Mar-05 5:16 PM India Time, _jane_ wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > Starting new thread but its a continuation of the damn burner saga.
    > I downloaded the Nero Software from a link glee gave me to enable
    > me to burn stuff.
    > After a 20megs d/load on dial-up and finally installing, the damn
    > software said my Trial Period was Over......... yeah, right.
    > I tried to uninstal the software via add/rem and it said it was
    > successful, but after going to the folder in explorer where I placed it
    > I found lots of remnants. When I right click on this folder it now tells
    > me some of it is attached to the registry......... great I thought.
    > Have left it there for now.

    Why did you uninstall it.

    I wanted to ask you the version no. (Help-About), but now
    you wouldn't be able to provide that.

    In future, keep such things installed. You can uninstall
    them later on, say, after you do not get any useful
    suggestion on them.

    --
    Rawat

    jane wrote:

    > I downloaded Software that dadio linked me to, it is a Sony burning
    > piece of software.
    > After following all the instructions at the download site including::
    > 1)Download the Software and instal
    > 2)Download the Update and Execute it
    > 3)Download the Passi Engine and execute it too.
    > I am finally ready to hopefully start burning, but No.
    > On firing it up, it states a Runtime 9 error, of which the site I got
    > it from said might happen and if so abort and try another proggy.
    > All that is fine except when I go to add/rem to get rid of it I get
    > "Missing 1 file(s), comparing with the stored uninstal information;
    > C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sony CD Extreme.LNK"
    > would I like to 'continue'.
    > (No, I would rather put a stick of bloody dynamite under it)

    Why? All it is telling you is that a Start>Programs shortcut is
    missing. No big deal.
    _________________

    > Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
    > the baggage that has come with them?

    Well, TotalUninstall is good. Not totally idiot proof but with a bit of
    intelligent thought and understanding it comes very close (can re-create
    changed/modified reg entries, can't do the same for system files).

    One thing for sure, it is better than most uninstall programs that come
    *with* programs. And since all Windows Add/Remove does is use the
    program's own uninstall program, it is better than that too.
    http://www.martau.com/

    The totally idiot proof way is to have a second, bootable HD, replicate
    C: to it, do your installs on C: and try them. If not to your liking,
    boot from HD #2 and replicate it back to #1.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Jane,
    There is far less drama involved than you think. The simplest thing to do as a
    start is to use scanreg /restore from a DOS boot to restore the Registry to the
    backup just prior to installing ALL the CD writing software, as Gary mentions (you
    DID make sure the Registry was backed up beforehand, right?).

    Alternately, you can do as I suggested in the previous thread.....after you have
    formally uninstalled Nero, open Regedit, navigate to HKLM\Software, and delete the
    Ahead sub-key. Do the same at HKCU\Software. Close Regedit and reboot. You should
    then be able to delete the folders/files left behind in the Ahead Nero folder tree.

    If you had deleted the Ahead registry keys from your earlier version install, prior
    to installing the downloaded version, you *may* not have gotten the Trial Period
    message.

    Re: the Prassi software, simply tell it to continue with the uninstall....the file
    mentioned is obviously just a start menu link setup thinks it created. I don't see
    why you aborted the uninstall for that.

    Ignore the info in the APPLOG folder. As for the system files updated by Nero, that
    should not be of any concern either.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Leave those files alone! Unless you find obvious problems later on, it's
    > too touchy a situation to be messing with. If, later on, you discover
    > problems, you can fix those as needed. If you know what files they are,
    > and it's not really easy to figure out unless you had another app
    > monitor the installation, write them down and keep the list in a safe
    > place. (You'll find it next year and scratch your head for a few moments
    > before throwing it out.)

    LOL done that a few times :-)

    BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
    recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
    http://www.cheetahburner.com/
    --

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
    >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
    >http://www.cheetahburner.com/

    There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php

    --
    Luke

    "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
    > >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
    > >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
    >
    > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
    > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php

    Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
    --

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:04:36 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
    >> >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
    >> >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
    >>
    >> There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
    >> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
    >

    >Cool, Luke....have you tried it?

    Yes, I've used CDBurnerXP Pro to burn a couple audio and data CDs. It
    works. No crashes, no coasters ... so far ;-). I'm still getting used
    to it. A minor drawback is copying of audio/data CDs has not been
    implemented yet. But I can do that with Nero Express, which was "free"
    with my drive.

    I wanted something other than Nero Express because of its refresh
    function with multisession CD-RW (maybe CD-R, too, I haven't used
    those multisession), which automatically adds new files and replaces
    identical named files. Refresh can be disabled in the full Nero, but
    as far as I can tell not in Express.

    I note that Cheetah can copy CDs. And it's free if one links to one's
    Web site, which I don't have, darnit. But 15 bucks is just my speed.
    Have you used Cheetah?

    --
    Luke

    > C: to it, do your installs on C: and try them. If not to your liking,
    > boot from HD #2 and replicate it back to #1.

    Know what, that is a flipping good idea.
    I now own a 2gig hdd with win98 on it and it is just sitting on the
    coffee table; I think I will put it in my computer and use it to test
    all download items.
    (I suppose I will have to put a lot of updates on it though, as in its
    raw state it might not accept or run many of the apps out there, but
    its still a good idea)

    regards Jane

    You sound unclear on the concept. The idea is to *copy*, and in "image",
    byte for byte, the system you now have onto the other drive. Why would
    it need updates?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    jane wrote:

    > (I suppose I will have to put a lot of updates on it though, as in its
    > raw state it might not accept or run many of the apps out there, but
    > its still a good idea)

    As Gary said, the idea is to *replicate* one drive to
    another...including file/folder deletions (you don't need a true "image"
    though). The program I like for that purpose is Karen's Replicator.
    Specifically, version 1.8.10 rather than the current version. Don't
    recall *why* I prefer it though.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    I have not tried Cheetah, but another well-respected MVP uses it and recommends it.
    Thanks for the feedback. I also found an MVP who has used CDBurnerXP Pro and has
    found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>
    --

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:15:17 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >I have not tried Cheetah, but another well-respected MVP uses it and recommends it.
    >Thanks for the feedback. I also found an MVP who has used CDBurnerXP Pro and has
    >found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>

    Excellent! I'm glad this OT topic came up. Nero Express's refresh
    function was getting annoying, but I'm too old to be fiddling with
    burning a lot of CDs to justify paying $50-100 for a burner. Thanks
    for the recommends!

    --
    Luke

    I am not sure where you see that disc copying is not supported. It says here:
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php
    under Create Audio CDs:
    "gapless audio-CDs supported (disc-at-once-mode)"
    --

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:18:52 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >I am not sure where you see that disc copying is not supported. It says here:
    >http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php
    >under Create Audio CDs:
    >"gapless audio-CDs supported (disc-at-once-mode)"

    Gapless is not a copy. From CDBurnerXP Pro Help:
    "Disc-at-once creates a gapless CD (without a pause)."

    From CDBurnerXP Pro Help:
    "The feature to copy a CD/DVD is not implemented yet. However, you can
    copy at least the files of a Data-CD as explained here."

    Also see this forum exchange:
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156

    Cheers!

    --
    Luke

    Hi guys,,
    I foung a burning program this afternoon, it is called;
    "AdenSoft Audio Data" and it worked first time.
    Lots of other stuff has come up in this thread, 'drive to drive'
    and 'imaging' and etc.

    As such, I decided I would put the 2gig hdd that I got from garage
    sales last weekend, into my computer.
    I am looking at the inners of my comp as I type and I see that my
    original hdd is actually set up on the middle part of the ribbon instead
    of the end. My bios says it is Primary.(master)
    This says to me that the jumper is set to Master and if I do put the
    other drive in it naturally has to be set to Secondary/Slave.
    Is it alright to put this other hdd at the End of the ribbon? I have
    been taught that secondary "anythings" go on the middle connector.
    I am wondering why the shop I purchased my comp from put the
    hdd in the middle; it has obviously been like it for over 4yrs.

    Anyway, once I get that sorted, I will put in the other drive and then
    be able to do some of the things mentioned here.

    So glad I found a burning program that works, and without the slightest
    bit of hassle either.

    regards Jane
    > "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has
    been
    > > >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
    > > >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
    > >
    > > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
    > > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
    >

    > Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Congratulations!

    If you set your drive configuration using Master/Slave jumpers, and not
    Cable Select, then position on the cable usually means nothing. The
    general advice to put Master at end and Slave in the middle is simply
    Standard Operating Procedure, the "customary way" to do things. Helps me
    stay clear on what's what when I'm digging around, and prevents foul-ups
    if the system happens to be using Cable Select.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Hi guys,,
    > I foung a burning program this afternoon, it is called;
    > "AdenSoft Audio Data" and it worked first time.
    > Lots of other stuff has come up in this thread, 'drive to drive'
    > and 'imaging' and etc.
    >
    > As such, I decided I would put the 2gig hdd that I got from garage
    > sales last weekend, into my computer.
    > I am looking at the inners of my comp as I type and I see that my
    > original hdd is actually set up on the middle part of the ribbon
    instead
    > of the end. My bios says it is Primary.(master)
    > This says to me that the jumper is set to Master and if I do put the
    > other drive in it naturally has to be set to Secondary/Slave.
    > Is it alright to put this other hdd at the End of the ribbon? I have
    > been taught that secondary "anythings" go on the middle connector.
    > I am wondering why the shop I purchased my comp from put the
    > hdd in the middle; it has obviously been like it for over 4yrs.
    >
    > Anyway, once I get that sorted, I will put in the other drive and then
    > be able to do some of the things mentioned here.
    >
    > So glad I found a burning program that works, and without the
    slightest
    > bit of hassle either.
    >
    > regards Jane

    Great Gary,
    thats all I wanted to hear. (I love simplicity)

    regards Jane

    > Congratulations!
    >
    > If you set your drive configuration using Master/Slave jumpers, and not
    > Cable Select, then position on the cable usually means nothing. The
    > general advice to put Master at end and Slave in the middle is simply
    > Standard Operating Procedure, the "customary way" to do things. Helps me
    > stay clear on what's what when I'm digging around, and prevents foul-ups
    > if the system happens to be using Cable Select.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi guys,,
    > > I foung a burning program this afternoon, it is called;
    > > "AdenSoft Audio Data" and it worked first time.
    > > Lots of other stuff has come up in this thread, 'drive to drive'
    > > and 'imaging' and etc.
    > >
    > > As such, I decided I would put the 2gig hdd that I got from garage
    > > sales last weekend, into my computer.
    > > I am looking at the inners of my comp as I type and I see that my
    > > original hdd is actually set up on the middle part of the ribbon
    > instead
    > > of the end. My bios says it is Primary.(master)
    > > This says to me that the jumper is set to Master and if I do put the
    > > other drive in it naturally has to be set to Secondary/Slave.
    > > Is it alright to put this other hdd at the End of the ribbon? I have
    > > been taught that secondary "anythings" go on the middle connector.
    > > I am wondering why the shop I purchased my comp from put the
    > > hdd in the middle; it has obviously been like it for over 4yrs.
    > >
    > > Anyway, once I get that sorted, I will put in the other drive and then
    > > be able to do some of the things mentioned here.
    > >
    > > So glad I found a burning program that works, and without the
    > slightest
    > > bit of hassle either.
    > >
    > > regards Jane

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > > >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has
    been
    > > >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
    > > >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
    > >
    > > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
    > > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
    >

    > Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Ditto Luke, have you tried it.?
    I visited the site, seems to be a few down-sides. (installer, images,
    folders, detections,).
    just curious.

    regards Jane
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:41:33 +1030, "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote:

    >> > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
    >> > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
    >
    >Ditto Luke, have you tried it.?
    >I visited the site, seems to be a few down-sides. (installer, images,
    >folders, detections,).
    >just curious.

    As I replied to Glen, only drawback I've encountered so far is copy CD
    has not yet been implemented. But, one can drag/copy all files off a
    CD to burn on another. Which, of course, won't make a 1:1 copy. I had
    no install problems, looks to be an easy thorough uninstall, and I
    didn't install the .wma update as I haven't burned any of those files.
    Do check the site for compatibility with your CD drive. My burner's
    fairly new so no problems, but CDBurnerXP won't even detect my old ROM
    drive.

    --
    Luke
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hello DADIoh,
    I went to Karens site, have read lots relating to versions.
    The version you mention is obviosly not available for d/l as
    there are more 'modern' ones available. (sorta like MS and their
    wonder drugs for comps via UpDates, I've read lots about ppls
    comps o-d-ing on those and the problems caused).
    You got to give me more info on *why* you *prefer* 1.8.10, as
    I am sure you would uPDate it to the latest just like MS stuff if
    you trusted it.

    Blurb aside, I will grab the proggy, mainly because I dont know
    squat about imaging other than its obvious name and my college is
    constantly doing it while students are out of the room.
    btw, is this the same 'karen' who put out 'ptprofiler'?
    If so, I have no problems with her product(s) so far.

    regards Jane

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > jane wrote:
    >
    > > (I suppose I will have to put a lot of updates on it though, as in its
    > > raw state it might not accept or run many of the apps out there, but
    > > its still a good idea)
    >
    > As Gary said, the idea is to *replicate* one drive to
    > another...including file/folder deletions (you don't need a true "image"
    > though). The program I like for that purpose is Karen's Replicator.
    > Specifically, version 1.8.10 rather than the current version. Don't
    > recall *why* I prefer it though.
    > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
    >

    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    jane wrote:
    > Hello DADIoh,
    > I went to Karens site, have read lots relating to versions.
    > The version you mention is obviosly not available for d/l as
    > there are more 'modern' ones available.

    I could send it to yousendit.com About 1.4 MB. You'd have to give me a
    valid email address so they could notify you though. My "reply to"
    address is correct.
    ______________

    > You got to give me more info on *why* you *prefer* 1.8.10, as
    > I am sure you would uPDate it to the latest just like MS stuff if
    > you trusted it.

    I don't remember and I ain't installing it to find out. I did have it
    for a while, reverted to the older probably because it did something in
    a way I preferred.

    By and large, I don't update *anything* as long as it does what I want.
    ______________

    > Blurb aside, I will grab the proggy, mainly because I dont know
    > squat about imaging other than its obvious name and my college is
    > constantly doing it while students are out of the room.

    Imaging is easy to understand. The way I use it - and what it used to
    mean - is an exact, track by track (or sector by sector) copy. That
    includes unused track/sectors too. The whole thing. Every byte on the
    source in the exact same place on the destination.

    Apparently, that is not the modern meaning because "imaging" programs
    sure don't spit out "images" the size of the HD. No reason for them to
    do so either, all you need is the files and folders...there is nothing
    on a drive that *has* to be in a particular spot except for the data in
    the boot sector and that is placed there when one makes a drive
    bootable.

    I think Karen's name - "Replicator" - is a good one as it can replicate
    the files/folders on one drive *including file and folder deletions* if
    you set it up to do so. That last is important because if you don't do
    so, all you are doing is copying one to another (which may be desireable
    sometimes); if there is something on the destination that isn't on the
    source it will stay there and you won't have a replica of the source -
    you'll have the destination *PLUS* source files that weren't on or which
    were changed on the destination. Unless you delete everything on the
    destination prior to copying to it. That would be a PITA.

    Someone once took Replicator to task because of the fact that file DOS
    names are created in the order that the file is created. True. That
    means that the DOS names of replicated files on the destination could -
    in some odd ball situations - be different from the replicated source
    file. I honestly don't know whether Replicator is using DOS or long
    filenames when it is doing its thing but I can tell you that in 2 ½
    years of using it I have never had a problem. Karen is a pretty sharp
    cookie and I suspect she allowed for that exigency. Destination files
    have the same dates as source files.

    BTW, it won't copy the swap file. No need for it to do so.
    _______________

    > btw, is this the same 'karen' who put out 'ptprofiler'?
    > If so, I have no problems with her product(s) so far.

    Probably, she has lots of stuff.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>

    Hey there glee,,,,,
    I have xp pro now,,, are you trying to say something about the
    price and the availability via xp?
    lemme know, I am still looking for one that suits.

    regards Jane
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I mean that it is reported to work well, especially for the price one pays for it
    .
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > > found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>
    >
    > Hey there glee,,,,,
    > I have xp pro now,,, are you trying to say something about the
    > price and the availability via xp?
    > lemme know, I am still looking for one that suits.
    >
    > regards Jane

Dial Up Connection Software Windows Product