Uninstal, leftover files and errors

Hi all,
Starting new thread but its a continuation of the damn burner saga.
I downloaded the Nero Software from a link glee gave me to enable
me to burn stuff.
After a 20megs d/load on dial-up and finally installing, the damn
software said my Trial Period was Over......... yeah, right.
I tried to uninstal the software via add/rem and it said it was
successful, but after going to the folder in explorer where I placed it
I found lots of remnants. When I right click on this folder it now tells
me some of it is attached to the registry......... great I thought.
Have left it there for now.

Second,,,
I downloaded Software that dadio linked me to, it is a Sony burning
piece of software.
After following all the instructions at the download site including::
1)Download the Software and instal
2)Download the Update and Execute it
3)Download the Passi Engine and execute it too.
I am finally ready to hopefully start burning, but No.
On firing it up, it states a Runtime 9 error, of which the site I got it
from said might happen and if so abort and try another proggy.
All that is fine except when I go to add/rem to get rid of it I get this
message:::::::::
"Missing 1 file(s), comparing with the stored uninstal information;
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sony CD Extreme.LNK"
would I like to 'continue'.
(No, I would rather put a stick of bloody dynamite under it)
I said NO as I am now very concerned about what has been
happening behind the scenes to my computer.

Also, when installing the Nero Software, it said it needed to Update
my System files as they are outdated.............. I didnt really want
to do this as I know once this sort of thing starts there is ALWAYS
problems. (but what could I do, so I said OK).
Also (again), when I went to 'find files or folders' and did a *.* search
for all things that happened today, I find that there are some
files in C:\Windows\APPLOG that relate to Nero.
I have re-booted many times, even shutting down totally and leaving
comp for a while, but they are still there.
Another oddity is/was that after some of the reboots, my cursor
would constantly change from pointer to hour glass each time I moved
it......... It isnt doing it now but who knows what the heck
will happen later.

Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
the baggage that has come with them?

Jeepers, all I flipping well wanted was to burn ONE cd so I could
instal xp............. boy, what a drama.
I am at the stage where I would like to go back a few days, but using win98
this is obviously
not possible. I would like advice regarding using the registry back-up cab
files so that I can
restore it to around two days ago as I dont like all that has been
happening.......... if of course
any here think that is a good idea.

regards Jane
(unhappy)
(btw, anyone know of a small reliable piece of software to burn one lousy
cd............ ha ha)

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Starting new thread but its a continuation of the damn burner saga.
> I downloaded the Nero Software from a link glee gave me to enable
> me to burn stuff.
> After a 20megs d/load on dial-up and finally installing, the damn
> software said my Trial Period was Over......... yeah, right.
> I tried to uninstal the software via add/rem and it said it was
> successful, but after going to the folder in explorer where I placed
it
> I found lots of remnants. When I right click on this folder it now
tells
> me some of it is attached to the registry......... great I thought.
> Have left it there for now.
>
> Second,,,
> I downloaded Software that dadio linked me to, it is a Sony burning
> piece of software.
> After following all the instructions at the download site including::
> 1)Download the Software and instal
> 2)Download the Update and Execute it
> 3)Download the Passi Engine and execute it too.
> I am finally ready to hopefully start burning, but No.
> On firing it up, it states a Runtime 9 error, of which the site I got
it
> from said might happen and if so abort and try another proggy.
> All that is fine except when I go to add/rem to get rid of it I get
this
> message:::::::::
> "Missing 1 file(s), comparing with the stored uninstal information;
> C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sony CD Extreme.LNK"
> would I like to 'continue'.
> (No, I would rather put a stick of bloody dynamite under it)
> I said NO as I am now very concerned about what has been
> happening behind the scenes to my computer.

Delete the above file and anything from Nero and whatever the Sony app
is called that are obviously only from those installations (shortcuts
and folders that obviously only belong to those installations, as
evidenced by name and Cate *Created* (not modified.) The usual places
are in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files\Common, but me include
folders on the C:\root. (Even if there are items in teh Windows and
Windows\System folders, it's best tho leave those alone.) If you wnat to
hedge your bets, rename the files (after making a list) and wait a while
to see if anything untoward results.

> Also, when installing the Nero Software, it said it needed to Update
> my System files as they are outdated.............. I didnt
really want
> to do this as I know once this sort of thing starts there is ALWAYS
> problems. (but what could I do, so I said OK).

Leave those files alone! Unless you find obvious problems later on, it's
too touchy a situation to be messing with. If, later on, you discover
problems, you can fix those as needed. If you know what files they are,
and it's not really easy to figure out unless you had another app
monitor the installation, write them down and keep the list in a safe
place. (You'll find it next year and scratch your head for a few moments
before throwing it out.)

> Also (again), when I went to 'find files or folders' and did a *.*
search
> for all things that happened today, I find that there are some
> files in C:\Windows\APPLOG that relate to Nero.

Ignore that, also. For the reasons I mentioned in a reply to your
earlier post. If you're going to mess with APPLOG, it's better to simply
DELTREE it from a Command Prompt Only startup.

> I have re-booted many times, even shutting down totally and leaving
> comp for a while, but they are still there.
> Another oddity is/was that after some of the reboots, my cursor
> would constantly change from pointer to hour glass each time I moved
> it......... It isnt doing it now but who knows what the heck
> will happen later.

This occurs when something is happening in the background, eitehr a
background app starting up or a one-time configuration change.

> Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
> the baggage that has come with them?

Well, you *could* use a monitoring app that keeps absolute track of
changes made to your system, and make full-system backups before every
and every installation. But those can be tricky, too, since you don't
necessarily know what else your system was up to while teh installation
was proceeding, and might undo something later that you wish you hadn't.
Simply put, these are the travails that one must endure unless you never
install new apps or updates.

> Jeepers, all I flipping well wanted was to burn ONE cd so I could
> instal xp............. boy, what a drama.

The person who loaned you the burner should have had a burning app to go
with it. WOuld probably have saved a lot of heartache. Not saying it
would have worked any better, but the odds would have been much more in
your favor.

> I am at the stage where I would like to go back a few days, but using
win98
> this is obviously
> not possible. I would like advice regarding using the registry
back-up cab
> files so that I can
> restore it to around two days ago as I dont like all that has been
> happening.......... if of course
> any here think that is a good idea.

Restart to the Startup Menu (you know how to do that by now, yes?)
Choose "Command Prompt Only". At the C:\> prompt run the following,
pressing <Enter> at the end of each line:

smartdrv
scanreg /restore

Choose the backup to restore based upon Date, not filename. When it's
finished, use Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.

> regards Jane
> (unhappy)
> (btw, anyone know of a small reliable piece of software to burn one
lousy
> cd............ ha ha)

Yes, but it ain't free, and besides, you don't really know for certain
that it wasn't the hardware in this case. Also, the apps you have
already tried work just fine on most systems. Perhaps it's your system
causing the indigestion, not vice-versa.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

On 05-Mar-05 5:16 PM India Time, _jane_ wrote:

> Hi all,
> Starting new thread but its a continuation of the damn burner saga.
> I downloaded the Nero Software from a link glee gave me to enable
> me to burn stuff.
> After a 20megs d/load on dial-up and finally installing, the damn
> software said my Trial Period was Over......... yeah, right.
> I tried to uninstal the software via add/rem and it said it was
> successful, but after going to the folder in explorer where I placed it
> I found lots of remnants. When I right click on this folder it now tells
> me some of it is attached to the registry......... great I thought.
> Have left it there for now.

Why did you uninstall it.

I wanted to ask you the version no. (Help-About), but now
you wouldn't be able to provide that.

In future, keep such things installed. You can uninstall
them later on, say, after you do not get any useful
suggestion on them.

--
Rawat

jane wrote:

> I downloaded Software that dadio linked me to, it is a Sony burning
> piece of software.
> After following all the instructions at the download site including::
> 1)Download the Software and instal
> 2)Download the Update and Execute it
> 3)Download the Passi Engine and execute it too.
> I am finally ready to hopefully start burning, but No.
> On firing it up, it states a Runtime 9 error, of which the site I got
> it from said might happen and if so abort and try another proggy.
> All that is fine except when I go to add/rem to get rid of it I get
> "Missing 1 file(s), comparing with the stored uninstal information;
> C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sony CD Extreme.LNK"
> would I like to 'continue'.
> (No, I would rather put a stick of bloody dynamite under it)

Why? All it is telling you is that a Start>Programs shortcut is
missing. No big deal.
_________________

> Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
> the baggage that has come with them?

Well, TotalUninstall is good. Not totally idiot proof but with a bit of
intelligent thought and understanding it comes very close (can re-create
changed/modified reg entries, can't do the same for system files).

One thing for sure, it is better than most uninstall programs that come
*with* programs. And since all Windows Add/Remove does is use the
program's own uninstall program, it is better than that too.
http://www.martau.com/

The totally idiot proof way is to have a second, bootable HD, replicate
C: to it, do your installs on C: and try them. If not to your liking,
boot from HD #2 and replicate it back to #1.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Jane,
There is far less drama involved than you think. The simplest thing to do as a
start is to use scanreg /restore from a DOS boot to restore the Registry to the
backup just prior to installing ALL the CD writing software, as Gary mentions (you
DID make sure the Registry was backed up beforehand, right?).

Alternately, you can do as I suggested in the previous thread.....after you have
formally uninstalled Nero, open Regedit, navigate to HKLM\Software, and delete the
Ahead sub-key. Do the same at HKCU\Software. Close Regedit and reboot. You should
then be able to delete the folders/files left behind in the Ahead Nero folder tree.

If you had deleted the Ahead registry keys from your earlier version install, prior
to installing the downloaded version, you *may* not have gotten the Trial Period
message.

Re: the Prassi software, simply tell it to continue with the uninstall....the file
mentioned is obviously just a start menu link setup thinks it created. I don't see
why you aborted the uninstall for that.

Ignore the info in the APPLOG folder. As for the system files updated by Nero, that
should not be of any concern either.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Leave those files alone! Unless you find obvious problems later on, it's
> too touchy a situation to be messing with. If, later on, you discover
> problems, you can fix those as needed. If you know what files they are,
> and it's not really easy to figure out unless you had another app
> monitor the installation, write them down and keep the list in a safe
> place. (You'll find it next year and scratch your head for a few moments
> before throwing it out.)

LOL done that a few times :)

BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
http://www.cheetahburner.com/
--

> [...]
> > it......... It isnt doing it now but who knows what the heck
> > will happen later.
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to deal with the uninstall problems and all
> > the baggage that has come with them?
> >
> > Jeepers, all I flipping well wanted was to burn ONE cd so I could
> > instal xp............. boy, what a drama.
> > I am at the stage where I would like to go back a few days, but using win98
> > this is obviously
> > not possible. I would like advice regarding using the registry back-up cab
> > files so that I can
> > restore it to around two days ago as I dont like all that has been
> > happening.......... if of course
> > any here think that is a good idea.
> >
> > regards Jane
> > (unhappy)
> > (btw, anyone know of a small reliable piece of software to burn one lousy

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
>recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
>http://www.cheetahburner.com/

There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php

--
Luke

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
> >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
> >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
>
> There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php

Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
--

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:04:36 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has been
>> >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
>> >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
>>
>> There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
>> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
>

>Cool, Luke....have you tried it?

Yes, I've used CDBurnerXP Pro to burn a couple audio and data CDs. It
works. No crashes, no coasters ... so far ;-). I'm still getting used
to it. A minor drawback is copying of audio/data CDs has not been
implemented yet. But I can do that with Nero Express, which was "free"
with my drive.

I wanted something other than Nero Express because of its refresh
function with multisession CD-RW (maybe CD-R, too, I haven't used
those multisession), which automatically adds new files and replaces
identical named files. Refresh can be disabled in the full Nero, but
as far as I can tell not in Express.

I note that Cheetah can copy CDs. And it's free if one links to one's
Web site, which I don't have, darnit. But 15 bucks is just my speed.
Have you used Cheetah?

--
Luke

> C: to it, do your installs on C: and try them. If not to your liking,
> boot from HD #2 and replicate it back to #1.

Know what, that is a flipping good idea.
I now own a 2gig hdd with win98 on it and it is just sitting on the
coffee table; I think I will put it in my computer and use it to test
all download items.
(I suppose I will have to put a lot of updates on it though, as in its
raw state it might not accept or run many of the apps out there, but
its still a good idea)

regards Jane

You sound unclear on the concept. The idea is to *copy*, and in "image",
byte for byte, the system you now have onto the other drive. Why would
it need updates?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

jane wrote:

> (I suppose I will have to put a lot of updates on it though, as in its
> raw state it might not accept or run many of the apps out there, but
> its still a good idea)

As Gary said, the idea is to *replicate* one drive to
another...including file/folder deletions (you don't need a true "image"
though). The program I like for that purpose is Karen's Replicator.
Specifically, version 1.8.10 rather than the current version. Don't
recall *why* I prefer it though.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I have not tried Cheetah, but another well-respected MVP uses it and recommends it.
Thanks for the feedback. I also found an MVP who has used CDBurnerXP Pro and has
found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>
--

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:04:36 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> >> There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
> >> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
> >

> >Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
>
> Yes, I've used CDBurnerXP Pro to burn a couple audio and data CDs. It
> works. No crashes, no coasters ... so far ;-). I'm still getting used
> to it. A minor drawback is copying of audio/data CDs has not been
> implemented yet. But I can do that with Nero Express, which was "free"
> with my drive.
>
> I wanted something other than Nero Express because of its refresh
> function with multisession CD-RW (maybe CD-R, too, I haven't used
> those multisession), which automatically adds new files and replaces
> identical named files. Refresh can be disabled in the full Nero, but
> as far as I can tell not in Express.
>
> I note that Cheetah can copy CDs. And it's free if one links to one's
> Web site, which I don't have, darnit. But 15 bucks is just my speed.
> Have you used Cheetah?
>
> --
> Luke

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:15:17 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>I have not tried Cheetah, but another well-respected MVP uses it and recommends it.
>Thanks for the feedback. I also found an MVP who has used CDBurnerXP Pro and has
>found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>

Excellent! I'm glad this OT topic came up. Nero Express's refresh
function was getting annoying, but I'm too old to be fiddling with
burning a lot of CDs to justify paying $50-100 for a burner. Thanks
for the recommends!

--
Luke

I am not sure where you see that disc copying is not supported. It says here:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php
under Create Audio CDs:
"gapless audio-CDs supported (disc-at-once-mode)"
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:04:36 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> >> There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
> >> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
> >

> >Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
>
> Yes, I've used CDBurnerXP Pro to burn a couple audio and data CDs. It
> works. No crashes, no coasters ... so far ;-). I'm still getting used
> to it. A minor drawback is copying of audio/data CDs has not been
> implemented yet. But I can do that with Nero Express, which was "free"
> with my drive.
>
> I wanted something other than Nero Express because of its refresh
> function with multisession CD-RW (maybe CD-R, too, I haven't used
> those multisession), which automatically adds new files and replaces
> identical named files. Refresh can be disabled in the full Nero, but
> as far as I can tell not in Express.
>
> I note that Cheetah can copy CDs. And it's free if one links to one's
> Web site, which I don't have, darnit. But 15 bucks is just my speed.
> Have you used Cheetah?
>
> --
> Luke

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:18:52 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>I am not sure where you see that disc copying is not supported. It says here:
>http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php
>under Create Audio CDs:
>"gapless audio-CDs supported (disc-at-once-mode)"

Gapless is not a copy. From CDBurnerXP Pro Help:
"Disc-at-once creates a gapless CD (without a pause)."

From CDBurnerXP Pro Help:
"The feature to copy a CD/DVD is not implemented yet. However, you can
copy at least the files of a Data-CD as explained here."

Also see this forum exchange:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156

Cheers!

--
Luke

Hi guys,,
I foung a burning program this afternoon, it is called;
"AdenSoft Audio Data" and it worked first time.
Lots of other stuff has come up in this thread, 'drive to drive'
and 'imaging' and etc.

As such, I decided I would put the 2gig hdd that I got from garage
sales last weekend, into my computer.
I am looking at the inners of my comp as I type and I see that my
original hdd is actually set up on the middle part of the ribbon instead
of the end. My bios says it is Primary.(master)
This says to me that the jumper is set to Master and if I do put the
other drive in it naturally has to be set to Secondary/Slave.
Is it alright to put this other hdd at the End of the ribbon? I have
been taught that secondary "anythings" go on the middle connector.
I am wondering why the shop I purchased my comp from put the
hdd in the middle; it has obviously been like it for over 4yrs.

Anyway, once I get that sorted, I will put in the other drive and then
be able to do some of the things mentioned here.

So glad I found a burning program that works, and without the slightest
bit of hassle either.

regards Jane
> "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:22:12 -0500, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has
been
> > >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
> > >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
> >
> > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
> > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
>

> Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Congratulations!

If you set your drive configuration using Master/Slave jumpers, and not
Cable Select, then position on the cable usually means nothing. The
general advice to put Master at end and Slave in the middle is simply
Standard Operating Procedure, the "customary way" to do things. Helps me
stay clear on what's what when I'm digging around, and prevents foul-ups
if the system happens to be using Cable Select.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Hi guys,,
> I foung a burning program this afternoon, it is called;
> "AdenSoft Audio Data" and it worked first time.
> Lots of other stuff has come up in this thread, 'drive to drive'
> and 'imaging' and etc.
>
> As such, I decided I would put the 2gig hdd that I got from garage
> sales last weekend, into my computer.
> I am looking at the inners of my comp as I type and I see that my
> original hdd is actually set up on the middle part of the ribbon
instead
> of the end. My bios says it is Primary.(master)
> This says to me that the jumper is set to Master and if I do put the
> other drive in it naturally has to be set to Secondary/Slave.
> Is it alright to put this other hdd at the End of the ribbon? I have
> been taught that secondary "anythings" go on the middle connector.
> I am wondering why the shop I purchased my comp from put the
> hdd in the middle; it has obviously been like it for over 4yrs.
>
> Anyway, once I get that sorted, I will put in the other drive and then
> be able to do some of the things mentioned here.
>
> So glad I found a burning program that works, and without the
slightest
> bit of hassle either.
>
> regards Jane

Great Gary,
thats all I wanted to hear. (I love simplicity)

regards Jane

> Congratulations!
>
> If you set your drive configuration using Master/Slave jumpers, and not
> Cable Select, then position on the cable usually means nothing. The
> general advice to put Master at end and Slave in the middle is simply
> Standard Operating Procedure, the "customary way" to do things. Helps me
> stay clear on what's what when I'm digging around, and prevents foul-ups
> if the system happens to be using Cable Select.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys,,
> > I foung a burning program this afternoon, it is called;
> > "AdenSoft Audio Data" and it worked first time.
> > Lots of other stuff has come up in this thread, 'drive to drive'
> > and 'imaging' and etc.
> >
> > As such, I decided I would put the 2gig hdd that I got from garage
> > sales last weekend, into my computer.
> > I am looking at the inners of my comp as I type and I see that my
> > original hdd is actually set up on the middle part of the ribbon
> instead
> > of the end. My bios says it is Primary.(master)
> > This says to me that the jumper is set to Master and if I do put the
> > other drive in it naturally has to be set to Secondary/Slave.
> > Is it alright to put this other hdd at the End of the ribbon? I have
> > been taught that secondary "anythings" go on the middle connector.
> > I am wondering why the shop I purchased my comp from put the
> > hdd in the middle; it has obviously been like it for over 4yrs.
> >
> > Anyway, once I get that sorted, I will put in the other drive and then
> > be able to do some of the things mentioned here.
> >
> > So glad I found a burning program that works, and without the
> slightest
> > bit of hassle either.
> >
> > regards Jane

> > >BTW, Cheetah CD Burner v3.13 burning software is only $15 US, and has
been
> > >recommended by a fellow MVP who uses it.
> > >http://www.cheetahburner.com/
> >
> > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
> > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
>

> Cool, Luke....have you tried it?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ditto Luke, have you tried it.?
I visited the site, seems to be a few down-sides. (installer, images,
folders, detections,).
just curious.

regards Jane

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:41:33 +1030, "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote:

[I wrote:]
>> > There's also freeware CDBurnerXP Pro:
>> > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php
>
>Ditto Luke, have you tried it.?
>I visited the site, seems to be a few down-sides. (installer, images,
>folders, detections,).
>just curious.

As I replied to Glen, only drawback I've encountered so far is copy CD
has not yet been implemented. But, one can drag/copy all files off a
CD to burn on another. Which, of course, won't make a 1:1 copy. I had
no install problems, looks to be an easy thorough uninstall, and I
didn't install the .wma update as I haven't burned any of those files.
Do check the site for compatibility with your CD drive. My burner's
fairly new so no problems, but CDBurnerXP won't even detect my old ROM
drive.

--
Luke

Hello DADIoh,
I went to Karens site, have read lots relating to versions.
The version you mention is obviosly not available for d/l as
there are more 'modern' ones available. (sorta like MS and their
wonder drugs for comps via UpDates, I've read lots about ppls
comps o-d-ing on those and the problems caused).
You got to give me more info on *why* you *prefer* 1.8.10, as
I am sure you would uPDate it to the latest just like MS stuff if
you trusted it.

Blurb aside, I will grab the proggy, mainly because I dont know
squat about imaging other than its obvious name and my college is
constantly doing it while students are out of the room.
btw, is this the same 'karen' who put out 'ptprofiler'?
If so, I have no problems with her product(s) so far.

regards Jane

jane wrote:
> Hello DADIoh,
> I went to Karens site, have read lots relating to versions.
> The version you mention is obviosly not available for d/l as
> there are more 'modern' ones available.

I could send it to yousendit.com About 1.4 MB. You'd have to give me a
valid email address so they could notify you though. My "reply to"
address is correct.
______________

> You got to give me more info on *why* you *prefer* 1.8.10, as
> I am sure you would uPDate it to the latest just like MS stuff if
> you trusted it.

I don't remember and I ain't installing it to find out. I did have it
for a while, reverted to the older probably because it did something in
a way I preferred.

By and large, I don't update *anything* as long as it does what I want.
______________

> Blurb aside, I will grab the proggy, mainly because I dont know
> squat about imaging other than its obvious name and my college is
> constantly doing it while students are out of the room.

Imaging is easy to understand. The way I use it - and what it used to
mean - is an exact, track by track (or sector by sector) copy. That
includes unused track/sectors too. The whole thing. Every byte on the
source in the exact same place on the destination.

Apparently, that is not the modern meaning because "imaging" programs
sure don't spit out "images" the size of the HD. No reason for them to
do so either, all you need is the files and folders...there is nothing
on a drive that *has* to be in a particular spot except for the data in
the boot sector and that is placed there when one makes a drive
bootable.

I think Karen's name - "Replicator" - is a good one as it can replicate
the files/folders on one drive *including file and folder deletions* if
you set it up to do so. That last is important because if you don't do
so, all you are doing is copying one to another (which may be desireable
sometimes); if there is something on the destination that isn't on the
source it will stay there and you won't have a replica of the source -
you'll have the destination *PLUS* source files that weren't on or which
were changed on the destination. Unless you delete everything on the
destination prior to copying to it. That would be a PITA.

Someone once took Replicator to task because of the fact that file DOS
names are created in the order that the file is created. True. That
means that the DOS names of replicated files on the destination could -
in some odd ball situations - be different from the replicated source
file. I honestly don't know whether Replicator is using DOS or long
filenames when it is doing its thing but I can tell you that in 2 ½
years of using it I have never had a problem. Karen is a pretty sharp
cookie and I suspect she allowed for that exigency. Destination files
have the same dates as source files.

BTW, it won't copy the swap file. No need for it to do so.
_______________

> btw, is this the same 'karen' who put out 'ptprofiler'?
> If so, I have no problems with her product(s) so far.

Probably, she has lots of stuff.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

> found it highly satisfactory....especially at the price! <g>

Hey there glee,,,,,
I have xp pro now,,, are you trying to say something about the
price and the availability via xp?
lemme know, I am still looking for one that suits.

regards Jane