U-Storage

Hi fellow computer-ers,
I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
I have just come back from a google on it and can only find some-
thing to do with 'students'.
I am a student as many here know, but I havent downloaded
anything to do with this except for installing my FlashDrive recently.
I find no relationship to this via google.
I also did a 'find files and folders' and it only points to 3 things.
1)Cdrive startmenu programs (of which shows no nothing)
2)U-storage 2.5 in 'as above'......... 1kb shortcut
3)Uninstal U-storage
4)U-storage Driver Instal........ 1kb shortcut.

Anyone know::::;;
1)what it is (besides the obvious)
2)how it got on my computer

thanks

regards Jane

Ahem! Jane, let's think about this. Hmmm. You have a Flash drive and an
application named U-Storage. Hmmm, let me think now. Nah, forget it, you do
the math.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi fellow computer-ers,
> I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
> I have just come back from a google on it and can only find some-
> thing to do with 'students'.
> I am a student as many here know, but I havent downloaded
> anything to do with this except for installing my FlashDrive recently.
> I find no relationship to this via google.
> I also did a 'find files and folders' and it only points to 3 things.
> 1)Cdrive startmenu programs (of which shows no nothing)
> 2)U-storage 2.5 in 'as above'......... 1kb shortcut
> 3)Uninstal U-storage
> 4)U-storage Driver Instal........ 1kb shortcut.
>
> Anyone know::::;;
> 1)what it is (besides the obvious)
> 2)how it got on my computer
>
> thanks
>
> regards Jane

It's probably software that came with your Flash drive. Here's a manual.
http://www.pretec.com/product/SSD/iDisk/i-Disk_File/U-Storage%20User's%20manul2.5.pdf

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi fellow computer-ers,
> I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
> I have just come back from a google on it and can only find some-
> thing to do with 'students'.
> I am a student as many here know, but I havent downloaded
> anything to do with this except for installing my FlashDrive recently.
> I find no relationship to this via google.
> I also did a 'find files and folders' and it only points to 3 things.
> 1)Cdrive startmenu programs (of which shows no nothing)
> 2)U-storage 2.5 in 'as above'......... 1kb shortcut
> 3)Uninstal U-storage
> 4)U-storage Driver Instal........ 1kb shortcut.
>
> Anyone know::::;;
> 1)what it is (besides the obvious)
> 2)how it got on my computer
>
> thanks
>
> regards Jane

Too many "Twilight Zone" reruns may be suspect cause of post.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Ahem! Jane, let's think about this. Hmmm. You have a Flash drive and an
> application named U-Storage. Hmmm, let me think now. Nah, forget it, you
do
> the math.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi fellow computer-ers,
> > I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
> > I have just come back from a google on it and can only find some-
> > thing to do with 'students'.
> > I am a student as many here know, but I havent downloaded
> > anything to do with this except for installing my FlashDrive recently.
> > I find no relationship to this via google.
> > I also did a 'find files and folders' and it only points to 3 things.
> > 1)Cdrive startmenu programs (of which shows no nothing)
> > 2)U-storage 2.5 in 'as above'......... 1kb shortcut
> > 3)Uninstal U-storage
> > 4)U-storage Driver Instal........ 1kb shortcut.
> >
> > Anyone know::::;;
> > 1)what it is (besides the obvious)
> > 2)how it got on my computer
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > regards Jane

awwwww, cmon' brian, you know math aint my fav.
Lets see, its a storage device, I have a storage program.......
nope, it still dont register....

Go answer my real drama, (i was only trying to get your attention)
the post about UNINSTAL.
Damn burning thing is drive-ing me nuts. Not to mention getting me
worried about all sorts of gremlins that may have entered into the
blood-stream of my wonderful win98 comp.
What a day I have had.
(btw, Ian is starting to think/believe I am spending far too much time
in this group and wants to know how many of you are female)
(but on the other hand, he knows that eventually my persistence is
going to mean extra income around here......... we can maybe
finally stop eating witchetee grubs and throwing sticks at animals for
food and can actually go to shops to forage like some others do).

HELP ME FLIPPIN' WELL BURN ONE CD.........pleeeeese.

regards Jane
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Ahem! Jane, let's think about this. Hmmm. You have a Flash drive and an
> application named U-Storage. Hmmm, let me think now. Nah, forget it, you
do
> the math.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi fellow computer-ers,
> > I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
> > I have just come back from a google on it and can only find some-
> > thing to do with 'students'.
> > I am a student as many here know, but I havent downloaded
> > anything to do with this except for installing my FlashDrive recently.
> > I find no relationship to this via google.
> > I also did a 'find files and folders' and it only points to 3 things.
> > 1)Cdrive startmenu programs (of which shows no nothing)
> > 2)U-storage 2.5 in 'as above'......... 1kb shortcut
> > 3)Uninstal U-storage
> > 4)U-storage Driver Instal........ 1kb shortcut.
> >
> > Anyone know::::;;
> > 1)what it is (besides the obvious)
> > 2)how it got on my computer
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > regards Jane

You're a college student, right? They don't have one single computer
available to students that can burn a CD?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> HELP ME FLIPPIN' WELL BURN ONE CD.........pleeeeese.

Thank you Gary.....
pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese answer the post below. (Uninstal)
This 'burn one cd' thing has gotton way out of hand, and is now
threatening the integrity of my comp. I dont think I will find a
solution before monday now to back-up. I tried to get the media
you guys recommended, and even though it was difficult enough,
getting the software is a nightmare. I have the rest of tonight, (1/2 of
an hour) and all of tomorrow in order to back-up my Edrive; after
that I must return the burner on monday.
(btw, I also know your train of thought regarding $$$ and how Cheap they
are........ but money here is something we dont see
very often, with a bit of luck, my learning may change that a little.)
(dont get me wrong, ian is still the greatest in my eyes and always
will be)

regards Jane

> It's probably software that came with your Flash drive. Here's a manual.

http://www.pretec.com/product/SSD/iDisk/i-Disk_File/U-Storage%20User's%20man
ul2.5.pdf

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi fellow computer-ers,
> > I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
> > I have just come back from a google on it and can only find some-
> > thing to do with 'students'.
> > I am a student as many here know, but I havent downloaded
> > anything to do with this except for installing my FlashDrive recently.
> > I find no relationship to this via google.
> > I also did a 'find files and folders' and it only points to 3 things.
> > 1)Cdrive startmenu programs (of which shows no nothing)
> > 2)U-storage 2.5 in 'as above'......... 1kb shortcut
> > 3)Uninstal U-storage
> > 4)U-storage Driver Instal........ 1kb shortcut.
> >
> > Anyone know::::;;
> > 1)what it is (besides the obvious)
> > 2)how it got on my computer
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > regards Jane

I believe I've already answered it, <s>. But I see that you're needing
this burner to perform a backup (sorry, I must have forgotten that
detail.) Guess you can't take that to college and back it up there...

Really, short of finding another free or trial app to do the job, or
getting it from the owner of the drive, I can't see a solution--other
than buying an app or buying a burner with the app included. Both are
more likely to work and/or include tech support.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Thank you Gary.....
> pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese answer the post below. (Uninstal)

> Too many "Twilight Zone" reruns may be suspect cause of post.

Twilight Zone is on telly as I type lil' Dave............
is that you in the left hand corner of the screen?????

regards Jane

(and it is on too)

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:41:40 +1030, "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote:

>I have just found (on Start, Programs) a "thing" called U-storage.
>...installing my FlashDrive recently.

Win98xx cannot use USB flash drives natively; they need drivers, and
(most annoyingly) no drives drivers will drive any other brand of USB
drive. I do seem to remember U-Storage being the name of at least one
set of drivers for such devices, but there are others.

WinME, Win2000 and WinXP support USB flash drives natively and DO NOT
need additional drivers - in fact, you should AVOID using these.

I can't see what any of this has to do with writing CDR(W) disks, but
if your OS is WinME, Win2000 or XP, I'd recommend uninstalling any
"special" drivers for USB sticks that you may have installed.

Start from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs; if no joy, try looking
in the Start, Programs menu for a relevant Uninstall.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.

Hi Gary,
back-tracking on this post as its dealt with.
Yes, college started 2 weeks ago, but damn tutors havent
let us near a comp...... strictly blackboard & verbal stuff,
and that goes for all 3 classes I have chosen.
Hey, get this will ya. I flipping well turned up for wednesday arvos
lesson 4 days ago, and I sat in the room with two other students,
(teenagers) we were there for 20mins till one of them went out
looking for the rest of the class or at least a tutor........ turns out
the class was cancelled and all students were notified on the day.
Yeah, right, well 3 of us turned up, so I know for a fact 3 werent
notified.
Anyway, that was just some idle info.. here is the thing that I am
really peeved about:: It was supposed to be the first class
where we acually get to touch and pull apart a computer, welcome
to college a-la-australia

regards Jane