Intel's Dempsey

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
It is a joke.

Did anyone else see the benchmarks, even if the dempsey did outperform the opteron in every single test, the speed increase is negligable.

I can't wait for the conroe to come out. I hope that it mops for floor with the opterons AND the FX-60. This is not to say that i am a intel fanboy, i just want to see some leaps and bounds as far as performance

My opinion is this, so far the intel's processors have been somewhat lackluster, as far as performance vs. amd's. I have no need to argue this, simply look at the benchmarks for the last 1 1/2 year +.

however, imagine if intel released the conroe, and it had a 40% real speed increase over any of amd's processors at that time. That would be insane, it would be like a slap in the face. So maybe amd would then release a cpu with 30% the speed increase over conroe, that would equal a total of 70% speed increase over the current processors now, just crazy thoughts...

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
It is a joke.

Did anyone else see the benchmarks, even if the dempsey did outperform the opteron in every single test, the speed increase is negligable.

I can't wait for the conroe to come out. I hope that it mops for floor with the opterons AND the FX-60. This is not to say that i am a intel fanboy, i just want to see some leaps and bounds as far as performance

My opinion is this, so far the intel's processors have been somewhat lackluster, as far as performance vs. amd's. I have no need to argue this, simply look at the benchmarks for the last 1 1/2 year +.

however, imagine if intel released the conroe, and it had a 40% real speed increase over any of amd's processors at that time. That would be insane, it would be like a slap in the face. So maybe amd would then release a cpu with 30% the speed increase over conroe, that would equal a total of 70% speed increase over the current processors now, just crazy thoughts...
If Intel does succeed noticeably over AMD, I don't think that they are just going to come up with something out of thin air, producing a chip better than the ones you spent years engineering in a short time span costs money.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Oi, thats a lot of "if"s in there =)

Well, for notebooks and desktops AMD will do the Titanic thingy, but in Servers with 8 CPUs and more Opterons still will have a slight edge until 2008 & CSI

pat

Expert
It is a joke.

What IF you get a life and forget that Intel/AMD announcement and just live in the present..

Right now, spring is here and it is really beautiful outside..
Right now you're alive, and it is the only one you'll get .. enjoy it while it last.
Right now, ...

Well is right now ..

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Tom said:
"The Dempsey processor paired with the Bensley platform did not exactly impress us in the tests, at least when compared to the similar (but somewhat aging) AMD architecture. When AMD launches its new Socket F platform sometime around mid-summer, we predict AMD will once again come out on top"

I agree....another Intel joke :?

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Not that much from the Dempsey to just get by over an older processor isn't a good showing. This seems like a give the fans a song kind of thing. You know your fav artist puts out a single to keep the fans on his/her tour happy.

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Tom said:
"The Dempsey processor paired with the Bensley platform did not exactly impress us in the tests, at least when compared to the similar (but somewhat aging) AMD architecture. When AMD launches its new Socket F platform sometime around mid-summer, we predict AMD will once again come out on top"

I quoted from an article on Tom's side.......where is the article now?
Vaporware :?:

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Again LOL. I never thought something based on Netburst would actually compete against Opterons. I say it was competitive. The Xeons before it were waxed hard. SO, i consider this a step forward.
Of course we all wait for Conroe. And we all want Conroe to kick some AMD-ish but and drive them out of bussiness(well,probably not to that extent).

ExaByte

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
And we all want Conroe to kick some AMD-ish but and drive them out of bussiness(well said:
Why would you want to drive AMD out of business?
Competition is good. Do you really just want to choose from
I nferiour
N ogood
T otally
E rroneuos
L ogic ?
:?:

I know, this is the worst post of the week; so don't bother answering.

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
personally i think intel AND amd are both good companies. Each company in it's own time has had very good processor's, and i'm sure we'll see even better ones from BOTH companies as time progresses.

Btw anyone remember Cyrix ?

what happened to them ?

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well, you could say the same thing about Inel, and they MAY have come up with something 20-30% better, and AMD MAY have been engineering something for the past few years while K8 has been around..... do you think they were just sitting around watching TV?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
personally i think intel AND amd are both good companies. Each company in it's own time has had very good processor's, and i'm sure we'll see even better ones from BOTH companies as time progresses.

Btw anyone remember Cyrix ?

what happened to them ?

IIRC, didn't IBM sell them off to VIA? I thought that was how VIA was gonna take over the processor market LOL.

And you're right about the both companies make good products thing. Hell, I work @ Intel and I have AMD athlon XP's in both my computers. Why? Because they cost less and did just as good as an Intel chip at the time.

But man, there really is some awesome stuff coming out in the next 1.5 to 2 years. Stuff that AMD couldnt think of in their wildest dreams. I wish I could just open up and tell you guys about all the cool stuff we've been doing with our process. . . but I'd get fired and prolly sued =(

I've seen it written here a few times about AMD lighting a fire under Intel's ass. Well guess what, you woke up the sleeping giant. We've made so many breakthroughs in lithography, CVD, and different straining techniques in the past 2 years it would take forever to list them all.

Our biggest advantage though is the people. We love where we work, and we actually care about everything we do. That's pretty damned rare at any company, especially one as big as Intel. I'll work here till they kick me out the door.

Rofl, i started a post to show how unbiased i am. guess that went down the pot.