Control Panel: Access to the specified device, path, or fi..

On my Windows 98 Control Panel, I get the following error anytime I try to
open any of the links (e.g. when opening Add/Remove Programs):
"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied"

I also get the error if I were to right click on my desktop and go to
Properties. I am unable to figure out what might have happened. Any
suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanking you,
sinhamp
3 answers Last reply
More about control panel access device path

    Try using sfc to extract a fresh copy of "RUNDLL32.EXE" from your
    Windows 98 CD to the "c:\windows" folder.

    Ben

    "sinhamp" <sinhamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DBBBDF8-80E5-4AAC-A4A2-D7E1C963669B@microsoft.com...
    > On my Windows 98 Control Panel, I get the following error anytime I try to
    > open any of the links (e.g. when opening Add/Remove Programs):
    > "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied"
    >
    > I also get the error if I were to right click on my desktop and go to
    > Properties. I am unable to figure out what might have happened. Any
    > suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanking you,
    > sinhamp

    (A) Extract RUNDLL32.EXE, if "access denied" is mentioned...

    RUNDLL32.EXE
    Desc: Run a DLL as an App
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS
    Size: 24,576 bytes
    Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
    Ver: 4.10.1998

    That is old enough (Win98SE) never to have been modified by an update.
    So, extract it with SFC.

    (1) "START, Run, SFC"
    (2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
    (3) Enter "RUNDLL32.EXE" in the "Specify..." box.
    (4) Click "Start". It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS".
    If not, make it so.
    (5) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
    (a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
    (b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
    "C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
    (5) Click "OK"

    If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it up.
    May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will request
    that you reboot to complete the install.

    (B)
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
    Search: "Control Panel"; Title only; Exact match; finds many,
    including...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299923&Product=w98
    How to Troubleshoot Control Panel Issues in Windows
    (299923) - When you attempt to open Control Panel (click Start , point
    to Settings , and then click Control Panel ), it does not open as you
    expect. One or more of the following may occur: You receive an error
    message similar to the following: Program has...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192806
    How to Run Control Panel Tools by Typing a Command
    (192806) - This article describes how to run Control Panel tools in
    Windows by typing a command at a command prompt or in the Open box.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;149648&Product=w98
    Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "sinhamp" <sinhamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | On my Windows 98 Control Panel, I get the following error anytime I
    try to
    | open any of the links (e.g. when opening Add/Remove Programs):
    | "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied"
    |
    | I also get the error if I were to right click on my desktop and go to
    | Properties. I am unable to figure out what might have happened. Any
    | suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.
    |
    | Thanking you,
    | sinhamp

    Extract a new copy of RUNDLL32.EXE from either your Windows 98 CD or from the CAB
    files on your hard drive, whichever you have, to the Windows folder, using the
    "Extract one file" option of System File Checker (SFC).

    How to use SFC to extract a file:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5

    If that fixes it, I suggest you follow up with these:

    Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

    Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    In addition, install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check
    for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system,
    and remove what it finds.
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install SpywareBlaster:
    Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
    all protection'.
    Update at least weekly.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "sinhamp" <sinhamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On my Windows 98 Control Panel, I get the following error anytime I try to
    > open any of the links (e.g. when opening Add/Remove Programs):
    > "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied"
    >
    > I also get the error if I were to right click on my desktop and go to
    > Properties. I am unable to figure out what might have happened. Any
    > suggestions to fix this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanking you,
    > sinhamp

Control Panel Windows 98 Devices Windows