Need a new Printer -- any suggestions

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it choked on
the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft. I need a new printer and
would like some suggestions. I am not too sad that it died because it had
issues such as the latest HP driver not working in XP PRO. (Version 7) while
the newer driver 7 worked with 98SE and the older driver version 5 needed to
be used in XP PRO. (. . . and yes I did make sure I downloaded the drivers
from HP and the seperate ones for 98SE and XPPRO.) Thanks in advance for any
suggestions and I know this question is not entirely related to 98SE but I
love this group and appreciate all their advice.

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message

> My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it choked
on
> the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft. I need a new printer
and
> would like some suggestions.

Post again indicating:
-- about how much you want to spend
-- black and white only or colour?
-- do you prefer laser or inkjet printers?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Post again indicating:
: -- about how much you want to spend --- $75-$300 (max. -- lower price is
better but I want a good printer)
: -- black and white only or colour? -- (primarily for black and white --
sometimes copy pictures, charts, graphs etc. in color)
: -- do you prefer laser or inkjet printers? -- (inkjet is okay but I am
willing to try laser since I hear it is better quality)

:
: > My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it
choked
: on
: > the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft. I need a new printer
: and
: > would like some suggestions.
:
: :
: --
: Don Phillipson
: Carlsbad Springs
: (Ottawa, Canada)
:
:

I like my Epson printers cos the compatible cartridges are so cheap. The
older 760 which has been used daily for over 3 years cost about £1.25 for
colour or black and the newer r200 about £2.50 Bob

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it choked
on
> the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft. I need a new printer
and
> would like some suggestions. I am not too sad that it died because it had
> issues such as the latest HP driver not working in XP PRO. (Version 7)
while
> the newer driver 7 worked with 98SE and the older driver version 5 needed
> be used in XP PRO. (. . . and yes I did make sure I downloaded the
drivers
> from HP and the seperate ones for 98SE and XPPRO.) Thanks in advance for
any
> suggestions and I know this question is not entirely related to 98SE but I
> love this group and appreciate all their advice.

H-P makes good printers...some say the best. I personally don't care for them for
home use simply because they install so much in the way of extra monitoring
software, that does not get removed when uninstalled. Personal preference. I have
two older Epson printers and they print well. I will probably make my next inkjet a
Canon. For about $150 US one can get a good Canon, and the ink comes in multiple
cartridges, which I consider a great economy. My older Epsons and probably your H-P
have a black cartridge and a three-tank color cartridge. When you use up all the
red, for instance, you must buy a new color cartridge, even though the other two
colors may still be half full. With Canons and many other newer printers, you can
buy the color tanks that make up the color ink, separately. So, I might only need to
buy a red cartridge for say $9, instead of having to replace the entire color
cartridge for $28. So to me it is important to get a printer that has this feature,
along with good printing quality. Also note that while there may still be printers
available with an LPT connection, many of the new printers only have a USB
connector, so be sure you know what you are getting.

Hope this helps....
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it choked on
> the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft. I need a new printer and
> would like some suggestions. I am not too sad that it died because it had
> issues such as the latest HP driver not working in XP PRO. (Version 7) while
> the newer driver 7 worked with 98SE and the older driver version 5 needed to
> be used in XP PRO. (. . . and yes I did make sure I downloaded the drivers
> from HP and the seperate ones for 98SE and XPPRO.) Thanks in advance for any
> suggestions and I know this question is not entirely related to 98SE but I
> love this group and appreciate all their advice.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, Glen. I can connect via LPT connection or USB 2.0 since I have both
on 98SE as well as XP PRO side. :>
I do not like the extra monitoring stuff that HP has and I was disappointed
when I could not get version 7 of a driver to XP PRO. and also do to the
issue of money I think I may go with a Cannon. Also, how do you feel about a
laser printer. The most I want to spend is $300 but would prefer to spend
less. :>

[...]
: >
: >
:

> : -- do you prefer laser or inkjet printers? -- (inkjet is okay but I am
> willing to try laser since I hear it is better quality)

This is relevant since prices of inkjet and laser
printers now overlap (which they did not two
years ago.) You must go to a store to verify
print quality (and cost of consumables.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Okay, I choose a laser printer. (I think)

Dan wrote:
> My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it choked on
> the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft.

Cue "Twilight Zone" theme....

:)
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

LOL!! Any ideas on a good printer, Nigel?

"Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message
: Dan wrote:
: > My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it
choked on
: > the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft.
:
: Cue "Twilight Zone" theme....
:
: :)
: --
: Regards
:
: Nigel Stapley
:
: www.judgemental.plus.com
:
: <reply-to will bounce>

For that amount of money, you won't find a laser printer....but for the type of
printing you want to do, you don't need one. A good inkjet printer will serve you.
Do your homework before you buy, and look at actual printed pages from the models
you are interested in, at a store that has them running for demos. Check out the
cost of the ink cartridges while you are there, too. When you find the model you
like, search out the best price. You can often find the best price at a buyers'
club like Sam's Club or Costco, or online at a site such as www.newegg.com, or
www.zipzoomfly.com
--

> [...]
> : > My Printer -- HP 3820 bit the dust on Saturday. For some reason it
> choked on
> : > the 9 page letter that I was printing to Microsoft. I need a new printer
> and
> : > would like some suggestions. I am not too sad that it died because it
> had
> : > issues such as the latest HP driver not working in XP PRO. (Version 7)
> while
> : > the newer driver 7 worked with 98SE and the older driver version 5 needed
> : > be used in XP PRO. (. . . and yes I did make sure I downloaded the
> drivers
> : > from HP and the seperate ones for 98SE and XPPRO.) Thanks in advance for
> any
> : > suggestions and I know this question is not entirely related to 98SE but
> : > love this group and appreciate all their advice.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks again, Glen. I will do my research and then purchase what seems best
to me. I think Cannon will work for me and I will consult the sites below.
I appreciate your help and I plan also on seeing what Consumer Reports says
too.

: > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
[...]
: > :
: > : Hope this helps....
: > : --
[...]
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: >
: >
:

sunshine

Had the same problem w/my HP3820. After following the online
troubleshooting steps, I contacted HP. They acknowledged the printer was
out of warranty, but there was a known bug with that model...so they will
send up a new printer for the old one at no additional charge.
> [...]
> : > : > issues such as the latest HP driver not working in XP PRO.
> (Version
> 7)
> : > while
> : > : > the newer driver 7 worked with 98SE and the older driver version 5
> needed
> : > : > be used in XP PRO. (. . . and yes I did make sure I downloaded
> the
> : > drivers
> : > : > from HP and the seperate ones for 98SE and XPPRO.) Thanks in
> advance
> for
> : > any
> : > : > suggestions and I know this question is not entirely related to
> 98SE
> but
> : > I
> : > : > love this group and appreciate all their advice.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the reply, Sunshine. Did you have to send your old printer back
to them and what was your total cost for replacing the printer? I am
wondering if you had any shipping charges from having to send the old printer
to HP or any other charges.

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]
: > : > :
: > : > : Hope this helps....
[...]