Strange msg on loading before login screen

After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then get the
following msg:

C:\>
C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V

C:\

Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs, it
continues to the log in screen as normal.

Whilst not a problem as such it seems annoying especially when i have no
idea what it is telling me.

Any thoughts thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about strange loading login screen

    That's normal, it's the autoexec.bat screen you see loading.
    REM is the syntax for Remark which changes the command line to a comment and
    command is not executed.

    If you wish not to see the screen at all locate the autoexec.bat in c:\.
    Right click on it, select properties, remove the checks for the attributes
    and apply/ok out.
    Right click on it and select Edit
    Set your cursor at the top left before any text and press Enter.
    Type in at the top: @echo off
    Click File > Save > Exit.
    Now go back and reset the attributes.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "sheep" <sheep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then get
    > the
    > following msg:
    >
    > C:\>
    > C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs, it
    > continues to the log in screen as normal.
    >
    > Whilst not a problem as such it seems annoying especially when i have no
    > idea what it is telling me.
    >
    > Any thoughts thanks

    "sheep" <sheep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then get
    the
    > following msg:
    >
    > C:\>
    > C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs, it
    > continues to the log in screen as normal.

    This is AUTOEXEC.BAT
    After successful installation, Win98 does not
    need this file. (This command in the file sets
    up DOS drivers for the CD drives: but Win98
    does not need drivers for the CD drives.)

    Secondly you can set how long your system
    waits between loading BIOS and loading Win98.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "=?Utf-8?B?c2hlZXA=?=" <sheep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then
    > get the following msg:
    >
    > C:\>
    > C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs,
    > it continues to the log in screen as normal.
    >
    > Whilst not a problem as such it seems annoying especially when i have
    > no idea what it is telling me.

    As Brian said, it's no problem. And actually, Windows is still loading
    during that "hold" time. The screen doesn't go away till Windows is ready
    to start. I think there's supposed to be a way to keep the Windows 98
    splash screen in the foreground so you don't see that, but I've never
    figured it out. Some computers do it and others don't.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    On 3/6/05 2:01 PM India Time, _sheep_ wrote:

    > After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then get the
    > following msg:
    >
    > C:\>
    > C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs, it
    > continues to the log in screen as normal.
    >
    > Whilst not a problem as such it seems annoying especially when i have no
    > idea what it is telling me.
    >
    > Any thoughts thanks

    The above is a command in your autoexec.bat file that means
    it has been "REMarked" meading that it won't be executed. It
    is just being displayed

    you can stop that from disappearing by giving

    "@Echo off"

    as the first line in your autoexec.bat file.
    -------
    Now, what is that. That was originally loading some driver
    for your CD drive, but some software has REMarked it,
    meaning that driver is not needed.

    If your CD driver is working perfectly well, you can even
    remove that REM line from your autoexec.bat
    -------

    For 20 sec gap.

    Maybe your harddisk is having error in reporting freespace.

    Run scandisk in windows in all your partitions/ drives/ hdds.

    That should correct the free space.

    --
    Rawat

    Menno Hershberger wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?c2hlZXA=?=" <sheep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    >>After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then
    >>get the following msg:
    >>
    >>C:\>
    >>C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V
    >>
    >>C:\
    >>
    >>Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs,
    >>it continues to the log in screen as normal.
    >>
    >>Whilst not a problem as such it seems annoying especially when i have
    >>no idea what it is telling me.
    >

    > As Brian said, it's no problem. And actually, Windows is still loading
    > during that "hold" time. The screen doesn't go away till Windows is ready
    > to start. I think there's supposed to be a way to keep the Windows 98
    > splash screen in the foreground so you don't see that, but I've never
    > figured it out. Some computers do it and others don't.

    Logo=0 or Logo=1 under [Options] in msDOS.sys.

    Described in msKB# 118579 - Contents of the msDOS.sys File:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=118579>

    But for me it is either _just_ obscurity by the splash-screen the whole
    time or _just_ the DOS textoutput generated from running AutoExec.bat,
    not both.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in

    > Menno Hershberger wrote:
    >
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?c2hlZXA=?=" <sheep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>>After booting the flying windows appears as normal as it loads i then
    >>>get the following msg:
    >>>
    >>>C:\>
    >>>C:\>rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 / V
    >>>
    >>>C:\
    >>>
    >>>Then after what seems ages in apparent hold, but is probably 20 secs,
    >>>it continues to the log in screen as normal.
    >>>
    >>>Whilst not a problem as such it seems annoying especially when i have
    >>>no idea what it is telling me.
    >>

    >> As Brian said, it's no problem. And actually, Windows is still
    >> Windows is ready to start. I think there's supposed to be a way to
    >> keep the Windows 98 splash screen in the foreground so you don't see
    >> that, but I've never figured it out. Some computers do it and others
    >> don't.
    >
    > Logo=0 or Logo=1 under [Options] in msDOS.sys.

    Thanks... I'll add that one to my notes.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Login Microsoft Command Prompt Windows