Opteron 146 ????

For those of us (like me) whose budget is not up to a dual-core cpu, I'm thinking that the Opteron146 is looking like a good deal !!!

Priced about the same as the Venice 3500+, it offers 1MB cache and
a lot of OCing potential.
Sounds like it could run faster than a Venice 3800+ with twice the cache.

Am I missing something here?

Rob
24 answers Last reply
More about opteron
  1. I think Opty is good choice it should be a power house!
  2. Quote:
    For those of us (like me) whose budget is not up to a dual-core cpu, I'm thinking that the Opteron146 is looking like a good deal !!!

    Priced about the same as the Venice 3500+, it offers 1MB cache and
    a lot of OCing potential.
    Sounds like it could run faster than a Venice 3800+ with twice the cache.

    Am I missing something here?

    Rob


    At 2GHz w/ 1MB Cache, for ~$200, that's a great deal. You'll get the 10x Multi that can REALLY help so you can run 260x10 or 280x10 and get FX-55 or FX-57 speeds and totally dominate.

    ~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
  3. yep....its a great deal...I was going to buy a 3700 til I saw it
  4. Are those speeds safe with stock cooling?
  5. Quote:
    Are those speeds safe with stock cooling?


    Oh Hell Yes! I would start with 240x10 (Increment your way up there, don't jump there at once) and start voltages off @ 1.35v, than @ 220Mhz, put it to 1.375, than @ 260, put to 1.4v. Run Prime95 and set appropriate Memory Dividers if your RAM needs it (maybe it's not as good) and check stability. Don't go over 1.475v, but if you run 1.475v, 300x10 is VERY possible, though I don't recommend over 260x10 with stock cooler, but 280x10 with stock is possible, albeit higher temps may happen.

    ~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
  6. Got any links for good tutorials on overclocking Opteron 146, 144s?
  7. Quote:
    Got any links for good tutorials on overclocking Opteron 146, 144s?


    In the CPU Overclocking forum there is an A64 overclocking guide, not sure how good it is but I can write up a quick guide for you if that one isn't sufficient.

    ~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
  8. I'll need somethign a little more elementary than that. I'm very familiar with CMOS, and hardwar ein general, but as for the steps to take, which order to take them in, and general overclocking knowledge, I'm rather limited.
  9. Quote:
    I'll need somethign a little more elementary than that. I'm very familiar with CMOS, and hardwar ein general, but as for the steps to take, which order to take them in, and general overclocking knowledge, I'm rather limited.


    If you'd like me to make a quick guide, give me a PM and I'll start on it, I got some time free.

    ~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
  10. Thanks Mad Mod Mike et al,

    I plan to start out stock and start OCing as I learn more. This is my third build but my previous two were over 3 years ago and I never dabbled with OCing. This should be a hoot!

    My inital idea was a Venice 3200+ but I think the Opte146 should beat it once I get it tuned up. Not quite ready for dual-core yet so this looks nice.


    I'd love a guide for this OCing thing ... especially one that describes how FSB rates, clocks, and dividers relate to each other.

    Cheers,
    Rob
  11. I am thinking of buying the Opty 146 aswell. I can not decide whether a dual core proc is wise investment at this point. I do not do much multi-tasking but I may some time in the future. Is the Opty a good chip? Or will I feel better with a X2 3800+?

    Current System:
    Athlon XP 3200+
    DFI nForce2 400
    1GB DDR400
    GeForce 6600GT AGP
    60GB HD
    400 WATT PSU

    Possible New System:
    Opteron 146
    1GB DDR400
    eVGA nForce4 SLI
    GeForce 6600GT PCIe
    300GB SATA HD
    400 WATT PSU

    Worth the upgrade?
  12. Quote:
    I am thinking of buying the Opty 146 aswell. I can not decide whether a dual core proc is wise investment at this point. I do not do much multi-tasking but I may some time in the future. Is the Opty a good chip? Or will I feel better with a X2 3800+?

    Current System:
    Athlon XP 3200+
    DFI nForce2 400
    1GB DDR400
    GeForce 6600GT AGP
    60GB HD
    400 WATT PSU

    Possible New System:
    Opteron 146
    1GB DDR400
    eVGA nForce4 SLI
    GeForce 6600GT PCIe
    300GB SATA HD
    400 WATT PSU

    Worth the upgrade?


    Get the Dual-Core Opteron 64 165 (1.8GHz) and a 7900GT. Pair with a 600w PSU (or 550W that is High-Endish) and a good board (DFI is the best for OCin) and you're solid.

    ~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
  13. MMike,

    Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the Opty 165 is out of my price range. And the 7900GT is out there aswell.

    What do you think of the eVGA SLI mainbored? Is the Opty 146 good CPU? Or is the X2 3800+ better for the money?

    Wait to see what AM2 does to prices?
  14. Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on the Opteron 146!
    Newegg has free shipping on it too.

    While I may not become a big OCer, I look forward to having a rig that is rock solid and stable.

    Now, the last item to pick out and buy is the video card.
    Talk about a Pandora's box !!!!

    Cheers,
    Rob
  15. Albireo13,

    Let us know how this chip works out. As you may know I am thinking of getting a Opty 146 aswell.
  16. Quote:
    Albireo13,

    Let us know how this chip works out. As you may know I am thinking of getting a Opty 146 aswell.


    ME TOO!!!
  17. Come one, come all.
    OPty 146s by the pound!!!!


    ***********************
    Red Sox rule ..... Reds drool !!
  18. Just to reinforce: I know a very good overclocking company that sells those Optys every day and EVERY SINGLE ONE hits at least 2.8GHz, if not more!

    ~Ibrahim~
  19. I have this board, it will only offer mild overclocking.
  20. Quote:
    MMike,

    Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the Opty 165 is out of my price range. And the 7900GT is out there aswell.

    What do you think of the eVGA SLI mainbored? Is the Opty 146 good CPU? Or is the X2 3800+ better for the money?

    Wait to see what AM2 does to prices?


    I've got that board and an Opteron 146. I can tell you that it runs rock solid at stock. I haven't had a chance to OC it yet but hopefully this weekend. I'll post back if I get a chance. OC'ing an Opteron is new to me. I haven't OC'd a chip since my old Celeron 400.
  21. Opteron's are the deal-steal of the century, and there's still 94 years left...

    I have the 170 d-c on water, 2.96GHz and Prime95 stable, SuperPi 32M in 26 minutes and some change (first 3 tests in a combined second and a half) 8O . *Ye old Corsair XMS DDR400 couldn't handle the super-oc'ing, a 3:2 mem divider was failing Prime95, until I dropped below 280fsb... WELCOME OCZ DDR500! With the new RAM and a 5:4 mem divider, all is well. The clock speed is just shy of the 250MHz, but the timings are lower thaN stock, so good trade off. If the cpu multiplier could go higher on the 170, I might still be using the Corsair, but just not happening.

    Will be putting a lan party/back up pc together, going after the Opteron 146 myself. Can't beat the price to performance! :twisted: (Sadly, the FX-53 will still be relagated to the bench. Damn these Opterons! :lol: )

    PDH-NicFury

    *To all you new overclockers-- MadModMike is a great guy, won't steer you wrong. Take heed, and enjoy the benefits of his knowledge.

    Secondly, if you don't understand something, ask questions! Keep asking until YOU figure it out or someone makes sense... the 'memory divider' had me messed up for a day, finally made the connection. Nothing to be afraid about in overclocking, just don't be stupid and go too fast, or going blind.
    -PDH
  22. Theres a lot of good deals on the opterons here in the UK atm too , If I didnt already have a Dual Core I'd grab one too !!.

    But it would be a wise move too spend a bit more money on a good overclocking motherboard for it too , dont get a budget one, Abit and DFI are the motherboards too read up on.
  23. What motherboard would you recommend with an Opteron?
  24. I've been actually wondering that for a while. WTF is a memory divider? WTF is the memory ratio? People say like 1:1 is better, or so-and-so can only get 5:4, ahh! What is it like, the HTT to Memory Speed????

    ~Ibrahim~
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cache Opteron Systems Product