How to transport norton antivirus defs from 98 to xp or back

I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:

I have nav 2k5 in both.

The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.

Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
to avoid double downloading of the same thing?

TIA
--
Rawat
5 answers Last reply

    | I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
    |
    | I have nav 2k5 in both.
    |
    | The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
    |
    | Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
    | live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
    | to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
    |
    | TIA
    | --
    | Rawat

    Rawat:

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    --
    Dave

    I'd avoid even thinking about attempting that. One wrong move and there's
    no telling what may happen especially the way Norton applications write to
    the registry. If you have 2005 installed on 2 OS's from the same CD (
    illegal according to the EULA) that means you have used 2 activations which
    leaves you with 3.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:24:28 +0530, V S Rawat <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com>
    wrote:

    >I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
    >
    >I have nav 2k5 in both.
    >
    >The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
    >
    >Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
    >live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
    >to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
    >
    >TIA

    You can copy all the files of the latest downloaded definition from
    \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\<Latest_date>
    folder of one system, and transfer them to
    \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\incoming
    folder of the other. Norton will do the rest of job itself.

    Don't know how to transfer the other LiveUpdate downloads -- and even
    don't think it is possible in a simple way: in many cases LiveUpdate
    changes the Registry.
    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

    On 3/7/05 1:24 AM India Time, _V S Rawat_ wrote:

    > I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
    >
    > I have nav 2k5 in both.
    >
    > The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
    >
    > Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
    > live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
    > to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
    >
    > TIA

    I wonder how businesses are updating virus defs.

    If I have a LAN with 50 pcs all have internet and nav, Will
    I have to run live update on all 50 pcs individually?

    or will I have to download that 7MB_and_growing virus defs
    every week and run on each pc?

    --
    Rawat

    From: "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com>

    | On 3/7/05 1:24 AM India Time, _V S Rawat_ wrote:
    |
    >> I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
    >>
    >> I have nav 2k5 in both.
    >>
    >> The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
    >>
    >> Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
    >> live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
    >> to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
    >>
    >> TIA
    |
    | I wonder how businesses are updating virus defs.
    |
    | If I have a LAN with 50 pcs all have internet and nav, Will
    | I have to run live update on all 50 pcs individually?
    |
    | or will I have to download that 7MB_and_growing virus defs
    | every week and run on each pc?
    |
    | --
    | Rawat

    Your queries are *best* answered in...

    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    Corporate/Enterprise softwaere tend to have enterprise management software to "push"
    updates.

    McAfee uses E-Policy Orchestrator (ePO) to push software updates, hotfoxes and virus
    definitions to workstations. On my Domain, I used an advanced Jixtart based Login Script to
    push updates when users logged onto the AD Domain.

    Symantec and TrendMicro also have appluications similar to McAfee's ePO

    --
    Dave

Norton Virus Antivirus Windows XP Windows