How to transport norton antivirus defs from 98 to xp or back

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 7, 2005 4:24:28 AM

I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:

I have nav 2k5 in both.

The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.

Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
to avoid double downloading of the same thing?

TIA
--
Rawat
Anonymous

| I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
|
| I have nav 2k5 in both.
|
| The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
|
| Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
| live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
| to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
|
| TIA
| --
| Rawat

Rawat:

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

--
Dave
Anonymous

I'd avoid even thinking about attempting that. One wrong move and there's
no telling what may happen especially the way Norton applications write to
the registry. If you have 2005 installed on 2 OS's from the same CD (
illegal according to the EULA) that means you have used 2 activations which
leaves you with 3.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
>I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
>
> I have nav 2k5 in both.
>
> The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
>
> Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton live update
> downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as to avoid double
> downloading of the same thing?
>
> TIA
> --
> Rawat
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:24:29 AM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:24:28 +0530, V S Rawat <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com>
wrote:

>I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
>
>I have nav 2k5 in both.
>
>The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
>
>Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
>live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
>to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
>
>TIA

You can copy all the files of the latest downloaded definition from
\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\<Latest_date>
folder of one system, and transfer them to
\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\incoming
folder of the other. Norton will do the rest of job itself.

Don't know how to transfer the other LiveUpdate downloads -- and even
don't think it is possible in a simple way: in many cases LiveUpdate
changes the Registry.
--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

On 3/7/05 1:24 AM India Time, _V S Rawat_ wrote:

> I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
>
> I have nav 2k5 in both.
>
> The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
>
> Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
> live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
> to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
>
> TIA

I wonder how businesses are updating virus defs.

If I have a LAN with 50 pcs all have internet and nav, Will
I have to run live update on all 50 pcs individually?

or will I have to download that 7MB_and_growing virus defs
every week and run on each pc?

--
Rawat
Anonymous

From: "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com>

| On 3/7/05 1:24 AM India Time, _V S Rawat_ wrote:
|
>> I have 98SE in c: and xp pro sp2 in e:
>>
>> I have nav 2k5 in both.
>>
>> The problem is: I have to update virus defs in both partitions.
>>
>> Is there any method to transport virus defs and other norton
>> live update downloads from 98 to xp or from xp to 98, so as
>> to avoid double downloading of the same thing?
>>
>> TIA
|
| I wonder how businesses are updating virus defs.
|
| If I have a LAN with 50 pcs all have internet and nav, Will
| I have to run live update on all 50 pcs individually?
|
| or will I have to download that 7MB_and_growing virus defs
| every week and run on each pc?
|
| --
| Rawat

Your queries are *best* answered in...

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

Corporate/Enterprise softwaere tend to have enterprise management software to "push"
updates.

McAfee uses E-Policy Orchestrator (ePO) to push software updates, hotfoxes and virus
definitions to workstations. On my Domain, I used an advanced Jixtart based Login Script to
push updates when users logged onto the AD Domain.

Symantec and TrendMicro also have appluications similar to McAfee's ePO

--
Dave
!