Second Hdd Problem

Hi all,
Damn.!
I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.
I woke early this morning and decided to put in a spare hdd to start
the day.
After physical instal, I proceded to bios to see if it was there, it was.
I continued booting and it showed up there too, fine I said.
Next minute I am in that type of desktop where one icon takes up
the whole screen. (if you know what I mean).
I tried adjusting settings for the screen regarding size and colour as
they were all different now.
After a reboot it would only allow safe mode. I fiddled some more and
rebooted also but then kept getting this message::
"The Drive or Network connection that the shortcut 'yproxy.lnk' refers to is
unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted
or the network source is available"
(yproxy is just an 'inbetween' my server and the newsgroups; it
allows picture viewing as most of newsgroup stuff is now posted in
this format due to saving bandwidth..... blah blah. it has never failed
before.)

Anyhow, I removed it and have done numerous re-boots.
During a lot of re-boots I had to re-boot again as the comp just
froze.
I still get the yproxy error message come up even though I have
removed it.
My desktop looks terrible and I dont know what to do.
All this just because I put in a spare hdd, of which I have no idea
how to get to it even if it did work because it never really gave me
an option along the way. I take it for granted that I went to my
original drive each time I rebooted as all my normal icons were on
screen, whereas the other drive only has Vanilla win98 on it.
Help!!

regards Jane
32 answers Last reply
More about second problem

    jane wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Damn.!
    > I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.

    Hey now... You were forewarned by Gary in that other thread! Best to
    leave well enough alone, remember? (- 5 for you)!

    Well, at any rate, somebody will pitch in here, so don't worry. As for
    me, I'm stuck in the middle of my laundry right now..

    Have you tried restoring the registry?

    Are you positive you had the drives jumpered properly and attached to the
    appropriate connector on the ribbon cable?
    Are both drives set as primary active disks?

    Be very careful when doing the below so you don't wind up wiping the drive.
    At the DOS prompt type and press Enter after each line:
    fdisk
    Y (if not selected by default)
    4 ( if the primary drive has an A next to it is set as active )
    esc
    5
    2
    4 ( if the primary drive has an A next to it is set as active )
    esc
    exit

    Only one drive should be set as active to avoid problems.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    jane wrote:
    > I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.

    That appears to be an excellent idea.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    It isn't clear from your description, but did everything return to normal
    when you unplugged the new drive?

    If the system is configured correctly installing a new drive will have no
    effect on the way that Windows starts and runs, regardless of whether or not
    the new drive has an operating system on it. Your description suggests you
    were actually booting from the new drive.

    "jane" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > Damn.!
    > I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.
    > I woke early this morning and decided to put in a spare hdd to start
    > the day.
    > After physical instal, I proceded to bios to see if it was there, it was.
    > I continued booting and it showed up there too, fine I said.
    > Next minute I am in that type of desktop where one icon takes up
    > the whole screen. (if you know what I mean).
    > I tried adjusting settings for the screen regarding size and colour as
    > they were all different now.
    > After a reboot it would only allow safe mode. I fiddled some more and
    > rebooted also but then kept getting this message::
    > "The Drive or Network connection that the shortcut 'yproxy.lnk' refers to is
    > unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted
    > or the network source is available"
    > (yproxy is just an 'inbetween' my server and the newsgroups; it
    > allows picture viewing as most of newsgroup stuff is now posted in
    > this format due to saving bandwidth..... blah blah. it has never failed
    > before.)
    >
    > Anyhow, I removed it and have done numerous re-boots.
    > During a lot of re-boots I had to re-boot again as the comp just
    > froze.
    > I still get the yproxy error message come up even though I have
    > removed it.
    > My desktop looks terrible and I dont know what to do.
    > All this just because I put in a spare hdd, of which I have no idea
    > how to get to it even if it did work because it never really gave me
    > an option along the way. I take it for granted that I went to my
    > original drive each time I rebooted as all my normal icons were on
    > screen, whereas the other drive only has Vanilla win98 on it.
    > Help!!
    >
    > regards Jane

    Hey, maybe the "new" HD is FUBAR. A FUBAR drive *can* screw up all kinds
    of things, whether or not it's the system drive. Misbehaving hardware
    can do all sorts of mischief.

    I suppose if I were in your place, I'd run FDISK form a floppy startup,
    and make sure all is as it should be. I'd also run a full virus scan,
    preferably a DOS-based scanner. After making sure the drive
    configuration is nominally correct, my last step would be to remove the
    IDE tree in Safe Mode Device Manager, let it be re-detected, and see if
    that resolved the problem. And that's about all the advice I could offer
    without being on the scene.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    dadiOH wrote:
    > jane wrote:
    >> I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.
    >
    > That appears to be an excellent idea.

    Seconded. Or thirded?

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:18:09 -0500, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote:

    >jane wrote:
    >> I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.
    >
    >That appears to be an excellent idea.

    And miss our daily drama??? No no no dadiOH! ;-)

    --
    Luke

    I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-) but she said earlier that both
    drives are W-D. W-D drives have not only Master and Slave jumper settings, but also
    Single. If the original drive was the only drive then it is set to Single. If she
    adds a slave drive, the original drive has to set to Master, not Single.

    I would not boot to Windows with another drive as slave that already has Windows
    installed from another machine (well, I would, but not if I were Jane). Nuff
    said.....I'll let you mention the Master-Slave-Single business....I'm outta here.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    jane wrote:

    > 9)Now what...........?????
    > Due to mine not going as I planned, I'm not sure what happens at
    > this stage, I was hoping to find out for myself.
    > Does the computer give you an option to choose which drive you want
    > to use?

    No option, nothing to do, you just boot to C: as always. The exception
    being if you changed the BIOS boot device order. Don't.

    The only thing that will be different is that you have another HD that
    shows up in Explorer and to which you can read/write. Your CD drive
    letters will have changed (IIRC correctly, I don't let mine).

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    It was mentioned and re-mentioned, and her report says she looked at
    *both* drives, and set the jumpers accordingly.

    As for the rest, I'm with you, <s>. I'd have wiped that drive using BING
    from a floppy boot before I let it boot to Windows.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    jane wrote:
    > Hi PCR,,,
    > Have only been home a short while but I dont think I actually
    > have a booklet relating specifically to the drive itself.

    Look on the back of the drive. There will be a digram detailing jumper
    arrangement.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Be fair bill,
    gary said to go ahead and add the drive no matter
    whether the ribbon is top or middle......

    regards Jane

    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > jane wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Damn.!
    > > I love messing with comp, but I have to stop doing it to mine.
    >
    > Hey now... You were forewarned by Gary in that other thread! Best to
    > leave well enough alone, remember? (- 5 for you)!
    >
    > Well, at any rate, somebody will pitch in here, so don't worry. As for
    > me, I'm stuck in the middle of my laundry right now..

    > I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)

    But glee, think of all the laughs you get, think of your daily fix
    of going "doh", think of the children, think of the garden, but
    whatever you do dont miss out on a single bit of any saga.

    he he

    regards (chuckling) Jane

    jane wrote:
    >> I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)
    >
    > But glee, think of all the laughs you get, think of your daily fix
    > of going "doh", think of the children, think of the garden, but
    > whatever you do dont miss out on a single bit of any saga.

    True; microsoft.public.win98.help-save-jane's_butt just wouldn't be the
    same.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    ROTFLMAO!

    --

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > jane wrote:
    >>> I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)
    >>
    >> But glee, think of all the laughs you get, think of your daily fix
    >> of going "doh", think of the children, think of the garden, but
    >> whatever you do dont miss out on a single bit of any saga.
    >
    > True; microsoft.public.win98.help-save-jane's_butt just wouldn't be the
    > same.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    > It was mentioned and re-mentioned, and her report says she looked at
    > *both* drives, and set the jumpers accordingly.
    --------------------
    True, but one of them only via bios.
    ------------------------

    > As for the rest, I'm with you, <s>. I'd have wiped that drive using BING
    > from a floppy boot before I let it boot to Windows.

    But Gary, dont you recall me saying to all here, that when I got
    the two 2gig hard-drives, the first thing I did was to Fdisk them.
    That also includes Fdisk /mbr etc. Then each were loaded with
    win98, checked and re-checked.(Dey aint Fubar, dey is just fine)

    Now, one thing, NO-one here mentioned exactly what glee
    said regarding W-D.
    It does have an option of having the jumper set
    totally differently regarding it being a "Single". In Fact, the new one
    was set to exactly that prior to me setting it to Slave. There is also
    an allowance to set it to Master in yet another way.

    I have obviously learned something regarding this (maybe others
    here too) as I had never ever heard of it before........... whether or
    not it is just a trait of WD I cannot say.

    No, I did not pull out the original to see if it was set to "Single",(why
    would I) but
    rather just checked in BIOS, and also along the way while it was
    booting up via black screen.
    As soon as I saw it was the Master then logic told me to set the new
    drive to Slave.......... I wonder how many here or even just
    hardened comp people would have done the same if they had not of
    known of WD's trait.
    Anyway, I have just got home from college and I will look tomorrow
    to see if my original is set to Single, and if it is, then it is a new ball
    game to me so any hints would be appreciated.
    Even a definition of "Single" and why a company would set it to that
    would suffice, although, what a person like me should do when
    wanting to instal another drive in this situation would be better.

    A laugh a minute, I guess is what I am, but a quitter I am not.
    In Oz, we "have a go mate".

    regards Jane

    Jane, you said in a previous post to this thread that the original drive
    was set to Master, even though it was on the middle connector. \I
    assumed you'd actually looked at the jumpers--because that's the only
    way to know what a drive is set to. In the thread initiated by you,
    "pn.exe & cmpagent.exe", I specifically said to check the jumpers on
    *all* drives, and the Single setting was discussed. (And that discussion
    slopped over to another thread in which someone else had *exactly* this
    problem, and I said I had to remember to point it out to you, and you
    later discovered it on your own.) That nobody explicitly stated that a
    WD drive has the Single option is beside the point. From my post on
    March 1, 2:16am PST:

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > Great, I will get on it first thing tomorrow evening.
    > Questions::;
    > 1)Wouldnt mine already be set as Master?
    > 2)What is an "Open IDE channel".
    > 3)If I have an "open ide", where do I find "Single"?

    1. Yes, yours would *probably* be set as Master, but might also be set
    as Single, which states that "This disk is the only disk on the IDE
    Channel". Might also be set to Cable Select (requires higher-end cable
    and the Master/Slave relationship is determined by position on the
    cable--Master at end, Slave in the middle.

    <snip>
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    How much more hint do you need to check the jumpers on all drives, Jane?
    BIOS is an idiot. It only reports what the drive tells it, and will
    report a drive as Master whether it's Single (Master with No Slave) or a
    traditional Master (with or without a Slave drive present.) You only
    check BIOS to be sure that it sees the drives correctly--not as the last
    word on how the drive is configured, and definitely not to *change* the
    configuration.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > > It was mentioned and re-mentioned, and her report says she looked at
    > > *both* drives, and set the jumpers accordingly.
    > --------------------
    > True, but one of them only via bios.
    > ------------------------
    > >
    > > As for the rest, I'm with you, <s>. I'd have wiped that drive using
    BING
    > > from a floppy boot before I let it boot to Windows.
    >
    > But Gary, dont you recall me saying to all here, that when I got
    > the two 2gig hard-drives, the first thing I did was to Fdisk them.
    > That also includes Fdisk /mbr etc. Then each were loaded with
    > win98, checked and re-checked.(Dey aint Fubar, dey is just fine)
    >
    > Now, one thing, NO-one here mentioned exactly what glee
    > said regarding W-D.
    > It does have an option of having the jumper set
    > totally differently regarding it being a "Single". In Fact, the new
    one
    > was set to exactly that prior to me setting it to Slave. There is
    also
    > an allowance to set it to Master in yet another way.
    >
    > I have obviously learned something regarding this (maybe others
    > here too) as I had never ever heard of it before........... whether
    or
    > not it is just a trait of WD I cannot say.
    >
    > No, I did not pull out the original to see if it was set to
    "Single",(why
    > would I) but
    > rather just checked in BIOS, and also along the way while it was
    > booting up via black screen.
    > As soon as I saw it was the Master then logic told me to set the new
    > drive to Slave.......... I wonder how many here or even just
    > hardened comp people would have done the same if they had not of
    > known of WD's trait.
    > Anyway, I have just got home from college and I will look tomorrow
    > to see if my original is set to Single, and if it is, then it is a new
    ball
    > game to me so any hints would be appreciated.
    > Even a definition of "Single" and why a company would set it to that
    > would suffice, although, what a person like me should do when
    > wanting to instal another drive in this situation would be better.
    >
    > A laugh a minute, I guess is what I am, but a quitter I am not.
    > In Oz, we "have a go mate".
    >
    > regards Jane

    > It isn't clear from your description, but did everything return to normal
    > when you unplugged the new drive?

    No it didnt, bugger it.
    I had to do a lot of messing with it, but funnily enough, it gradually
    righted itself after re-boot upon re-boot.
    I have heard this many many times before, that re-booting just
    eventually seems to fix things.
    I did do a Defrag and Scan-disk after the 4th re-boot and it was
    directly after this that things actually returned to normal.
    I believe now it may have something to do with a verion of setting
    the hdd to Master via the manufacturer setting it to Single. I will find
    out more about this I'm sure.

    regards Jane

    > > 9)Now what...........?????
    > > Due to mine not going as I planned, I'm not sure what happens at
    > > this stage, I was hoping to find out for myself.
    > > Does the computer give you an option to choose which drive you want
    > > to use?
    >
    > No option, nothing to do, you just boot to C: as always. The exception
    > being if you changed the BIOS boot device order.

    Excellent dadiHO, thats what I want to hear, so when I do it again
    that is exactly what I will look for.

    regards Jane
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi gary,
    Well, if I muffed up then I muffed up.
    It was after all my first jump into putting in
    a second hdd. I thought I had covered every base and also
    thought I explained I was content "knowing" that my comp's
    hdd was the Master from checking it in bios.
    "THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN CHIEF".
    (would you believe a lil' ol lady walkin' a pup told me
    how to do it........ thought not, oh well.)
    I still believe that to a large extent I made every effort. Not "knowing"
    the nitties regarding "Single" is something that will obviously stick
    in my mind, and who knows, maybe I too can look forward to some
    inner satisfaction in pointing out the next new-comers error(s).

    Ya gotta admit, with each error comes less chance of it happening
    again, and soon I hope to have spare comps around to practise on
    ensuring that the errors fall into a non-event state.
    (the biggest problem may be Ian and space to put some spares in)
    The college friend I went garage-saleing with wants to go again
    this saturday................ whadayareckonishoulddo? I already know
    the answer to that)

    regards Jane.

> [...]
    > > would I) but
    > > rather just checked in BIOS, and also along the way while it was
    > > booting up via black screen.
    > > As soon as I saw it was the Master then logic told me to set the new
    > > drive to Slave.......... I wonder how many here or even just
    > > hardened comp people would have done the same if they had not of
    > > known of WD's trait.
    > > Anyway, I have just got home from college and I will look tomorrow
    > > to see if my original is set to Single, and if it is, then it is a new
    > ball
    > > game to me so any hints would be appreciated.
    > > Even a definition of "Single" and why a company would set it to that
    > > would suffice, although, what a person like me should do when
    > > wanting to instal another drive in this situation would be better.
    > >
    > > A laugh a minute, I guess is what I am, but a quitter I am not.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi pcr n' dadiHO,
    neither of you has to fuss about instructions on how to find out
    which drive I have or where to find the numbers.
    I can do many more things than I get credit for, I just have an zo
    personality.
    I can see as clear as day the many ways the drive can be configed
    via jumpers, tis not rocket science.
    yep, the 'single' thang did throw me, but it will only ever do it once
    and its used that life up already.
    if you guys reckon it was a mannerisn that WD used, then so be it,
    the same mistake wont be made.

    my only interest now is in just how to set the jumpers IF my original
    has similar settings set....(single) unfortunately i cant tell you right
    now
    as i have only just got home and its midnite. (ooooo, lucky jane got
    taken out on a monday night!!)
    but either way, its not a big deal, as i will get it all under my skin in
    the
    very very near future...('damn' says dadiHO, no more giggles, she's wized
    up)

    hey guys, get this will ya, the flippin tutor couldnt answer me one way or
    the other;
    its not a wonder sometimes why i have so many probs. (and, i even took the
    drive
    to college with me, looks like i'll be doing my whole learning curve solo.)

    i will probably ask a couple more Q's before i put the drive back in for
    test-run 2,
    it would be nice to get something simple to happen first pop for once.

    ta

    regards Jane

    > jane wrote:
    > > Hi PCR,,,
    > > Have only been home a short while but I dont think I actually
    > > have a booklet relating specifically to the drive itself.
    >
    > Look on the back of the drive. There will be a digram detailing jumper
    > arrangement.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'm getting mixed messages as to whether you know how to do it or not,
    from what you have written here. BUT, don't worry-- me 'n Glee are like
    this... (fingers crossed)..., or like two peas in a pod!

    I"LL get him back involved, if necessary!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Hi pcr n' dadiHO,
    | neither of you has to fuss about instructions on how to find out
    | which drive I have or where to find the numbers.
    | I can do many more things than I get credit for, I just have an zo
    | personality.
    | I can see as clear as day the many ways the drive can be configed
    | via jumpers, tis not rocket science.
    | yep, the 'single' thang did throw me, but it will only ever do it once
    | and its used that life up already.
    | if you guys reckon it was a mannerisn that WD used, then so be it,
    | the same mistake wont be made.
    |
    | my only interest now is in just how to set the jumpers IF my original
    | has similar settings set....(single) unfortunately i cant tell you
    right
    | now
    | as i have only just got home and its midnite. (ooooo, lucky jane got
    | taken out on a monday night!!)
    | but either way, its not a big deal, as i will get it all under my skin
    in
    | the
    | very very near future...('damn' says dadiHO, no more giggles, she's
    wized
    | up)
    |
    | hey guys, get this will ya, the flippin tutor couldnt answer me one
    way or
    | the other;
    | its not a wonder sometimes why i have so many probs. (and, i even took
    the
    | drive
    | to college with me, looks like i'll be doing my whole learning curve
    solo.)

    | i will probably ask a couple more Q's before i put the drive back in
    for
    | test-run 2,
    | it would be nice to get something simple to happen first pop for once.
    |
    | ta
    |
    | regards Jane
    |
    | "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    | > jane wrote:
    | > > Hi PCR,,,
    | > > Have only been home a short while but I dont think I actually
    | > > have a booklet relating specifically to the drive itself.
    | >
    | > Look on the back of the drive. There will be a digram detailing
    jumper
    | > arrangement.
    | >
    | > --
    | > dadiOH
    | > ____________________________
    | >
    | > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    | > ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    | > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    | > Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > True; microsoft.public.win98.help-save-jane's_butt just wouldn't be the
    > same.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH

    Now ya cookin' daddy-oooooo, you is tuned in but the
    others are lagging way behind.

    regards Jane
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)

    Hi glee,
    Its okay mate, I wouldnt get involved in another jane
    story either; have I been ker-plunked by your filter, cos if I have
    then I have achieved another first, and all thanks to this n/g.
    I love this group.

    regards Jane
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Glen wouldn't Plonk you. JANE! HEY! JANE! Yes you, now listen up.

    What you have to understand is:

    When others help in ng's and give specific suggestions/directions and those
    suggestions/directions aren't followed to a T when first presented, it is
    very frustrating to have to ask again and again to perform those
    suggestions/directions.

    If the helper has to ask the questioner again and again if they performed
    the tasks suggested without getting an explicit answer, it is very
    frustrating.

    If the helper has to ask the questioner again and again if they performed
    the tasks suggested because the questioner asked a totally unrelated
    question without getting an explicit answer, it is very frustrating.

    Chat is not a bad thing, but rambling on about life's going-ons has nothing
    to do with the problem and adds to confusion, thus further frustration.

    Starting new threads about new problems when the original problem isn't
    finite adds to confusion, thus adding further frustration.

    Getting the understanding? Need I say more? I'm not trying to be mean in
    any way, I'm only trying to help those with problems help those who help.
    This is not a quote with specific direction that has been mentioned many
    times in ng's:
    <quote> Help us help you </quote>

    Think of it this way:

    If you as a person now going to school to better your
    education/experience/qualifications did any of the above in class, what type
    of education/experience/qualifications would most likely become eminent?

    --

    >> I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)
    >
    > Hi glee,
    > Its okay mate, I wouldnt get involved in another jane
    > story either; have I been ker-plunked by your filter, cos if I have
    > then I have achieved another first, and all thanks to this n/g.
    > I love this group.
    >
    > regards Jane

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I don't plonk anyone (at least not in a long long time, and not on the MS groups),
    though I'm sure I would start if I spent time on the XP groups. The reason for not
    wanting to get too involved is TIME. The threads tend to go on with a lot of posts
    by different people, and I find it a matter of too many cooks .... It just leads to
    confusion. I do think you may soon need your own group though:
    microsoft.public.win98.jane

    I have been tempted a couple of times to use the old Dan Ackroyd line on SNL's
    Point/Counterpoint parody, all in fun of course:
    http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/play.cfm/sound_iid.16868 ;-)
    Or, available for free download here:
    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/k/61/snl001.zip
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > > I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)
    >
    > Hi glee,
    > Its okay mate, I wouldnt get involved in another jane
    > story either; have I been ker-plunked by your filter, cos if I have
    > then I have achieved another first, and all thanks to this n/g.
    > I love this group.
    >
    > regards Jane

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > I don't plonk anyone (at least not in a long long time, and not on the MS
    > groups), though I'm sure I would start if I spent time on the XP groups.
    The
    > reason for not wanting to get too involved is TIME. The threads tend to
    go
    > on with a lot of posts by different people, and I find it a matter of too
    > many cooks .... It just leads to confusion. I do think you may soon need
    > your own group though: microsoft.public.win98.jane

    What about microsoft.public.win98.dan?
    and maybe
    microsoft.public.win98.pcr?

    They might feel left out of this setup....

    > I have been tempted a couple of times to use the old Dan Ackroyd line on
    SNL's
    > Point/Counterpoint parody, all in fun of course:
    > http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/play.cfm/sound_iid.16868 ;-)
    > Or, available for free download here:

    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/k/61/snl
    001.zip
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I am not getting involved in another Jane Story ;-)
    >>
    >> Hi glee,
    >> Its okay mate, I wouldnt get involved in another jane
    >> story either; have I been ker-plunked by your filter, cos if I have
    >> then I have achieved another first, and all thanks to this n/g.
    >> I love this group.
    >>
    >> regards Jane
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    :-) No comment....

    ....glen

    > glee wrote:
    > > I don't plonk anyone (at least not in a long long time, and not on the MS
    > > groups), though I'm sure I would start if I spent time on the XP groups.
    > The
    > > reason for not wanting to get too involved is TIME. The threads tend to
    > go
    > > on with a lot of posts by different people, and I find it a matter of too
    > > many cooks .... It just leads to confusion. I do think you may soon need
    > > your own group though: microsoft.public.win98.jane
    >
    > What about microsoft.public.win98.dan?
    > and maybe
    > microsoft.public.win98.pcr?
    >
    > They might feel left out of this setup....
    >
    > > I have been tempted a couple of times to use the old Dan Ackroyd line on
    > SNL's
    > > Point/Counterpoint parody, all in fun of course:
    > > http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/play.cfm/sound_iid.16868 ;-)
    > > Or, available for free download here:
    > >
    > http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/k/61/snl
    > 001.zip
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    > >> Hi glee,
    > >> Its okay mate, I wouldnt get involved in another jane
    > >> story either; have I been ker-plunked by your filter, cos if I have
    > >> then I have achieved another first, and all thanks to this n/g.
    > >> I love this group.
    > >>
    > >> regards Jane

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If there isn't anything useful on that old drive, then I would recommend
    removing the existing hard drive, installing the older drive as primary
    master, partitioning and formatting it, then replacing the original and
    reinstalling the second drive as slave. This ensures (within the known
    oddities of your system) that it won't interfere with the existing OS.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >> It isn't clear from your description, but did everything return to normal
    >> when you unplugged the new drive?
    >
    > No it didnt, bugger it.
    > I had to do a lot of messing with it, but funnily enough, it gradually
    > righted itself after re-boot upon re-boot.
    > I have heard this many many times before, that re-booting just
    > eventually seems to fix things.
    > I did do a Defrag and Scan-disk after the 4th re-boot and it was
    > directly after this that things actually returned to normal.
    > I believe now it may have something to do with a verion of setting
    > the hdd to Master via the manufacturer setting it to Single. I will find
    > out more about this I'm sure.
    >
    > regards Jane

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I beg your pardon? Lucky for you this has become an XP thread & I must
    go!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | glee wrote:
    | > I don't plonk anyone (at least not in a long long time, and not on
    the MS
    | > groups), though I'm sure I would start if I spent time on the XP
    groups.
    | The
    | > reason for not wanting to get too involved is TIME. The threads
    tend to
    | go
    | > on with a lot of posts by different people, and I find it a matter
    of too
    | > many cooks .... It just leads to confusion. I do think you may
    soon need
    | > your own group though: microsoft.public.win98.jane
    |
    | What about microsoft.public.win98.dan?
    | and maybe
    | microsoft.public.win98.pcr?
    |
    | They might feel left out of this setup....
    |
    | > I have been tempted a couple of times to use the old Dan Ackroyd
    line on
    | SNL's
    | > Point/Counterpoint parody, all in fun of course:
    | > http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/play/play.cfm/sound_iid.16868 ;-)
    | > Or, available for free download here:

    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/k/61/snl
    | 001.zip
    | > --
    | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >

    | > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    | >> Hi glee,
    | >> Its okay mate, I wouldnt get involved in another jane
    | >> story either; have I been ker-plunked by your filter, cos if I
    have
    | >> then I have achieved another first, and all thanks to this n/g.
    | >> I love this group.
    | >>
    | >> regards Jane

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Come on guys, it was just a short giggle.
    Least we got a ROTFLMAO from Brian.
    Dont read me wrong, I like a bit of fun and I like
    to keep things in serious mode too, i'm balanced.

    Things have changed re:- the second hdd, unfortunately.
    I was really hoping for some success, especially solo and hands-on.
    As it turns out I'm giving the other drive as a loaner too.
    So, a much better project is at hand of which I came so close to
    doing by myselt an hour ago, until I hit an AV glitch.
    Instead of putting XP on the new drive I wanted to instal, I have now
    thoroughly wiped the Ddrive of my existing.
    I went through the set-up of XP an hour ago, got 20mins into it and Norton
    seemed to get in the way........... bugger!
    Its in a new post and I would really like to get XP on my comp tonite
    as I am falling behind at college because of it, especially Networking!

    please read the new post, will only take a few minutes.

    regards Jane
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Apologies. I guess you didn't see where I wrote "all in fun"....it was a joke,
    m'dear. Gotta have a little sense of humour to make it through, and have to be able
    to laugh at yourself.
    --

    > Come on guys, it was just a short giggle.
    > Least we got a ROTFLMAO from Brian.
    > Dont read me wrong, I like a bit of fun and I like
    > to keep things in serious mode too, i'm balanced.
    >
    > Things have changed re:- the second hdd, unfortunately.
    > I was really hoping for some success, especially solo and hands-on.
    > As it turns out I'm giving the other drive as a loaner too.
    > So, a much better project is at hand of which I came so close to
    > doing by myselt an hour ago, until I hit an AV glitch.
    > Instead of putting XP on the new drive I wanted to instal, I have now
    > thoroughly wiped the Ddrive of my existing.
    > I went through the set-up of XP an hour ago, got 20mins into it and Norton
    > seemed to get in the way........... bugger!
    > Its in a new post and I would really like to get XP on my comp tonite
    > as I am falling behind at college because of it, especially Networking!
    >
    > please read the new post, will only take a few minutes.
    >
    > regards Jane

Hard Drives Windows