Errors in CONFIG.SYS

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 7, 2005 9:31:07 AM

During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;

The following file is missing or corrupted:
C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6

And I also get this one
The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
100
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7

cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote out
exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem? Please
help

More about : errors config sys

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:48:43 PM

george154302 wrote:
> During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;
>
> The following file is missing or corrupted:
> C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
> There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
>
> And I also get this one
> The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
> 100
> There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
>
> cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote
> out exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this
> problem? Please help

What do lines 6 & 7 in config.sys say?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
March 7, 2005 12:56:17 PM

Click "Start", "Run", type "msconfig" and click "OK". Click on the
"config.sys" tab, uncheck the lines involved and click "OK".

Ben

"george154302" <george154302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11F08243-E216-4B41-8D99-9A4A229113E0@microsoft.com...
> During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;
>
> The following file is missing or corrupted:
> C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
> There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
>
> And I also get this one
> The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
> 100
> There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
>
> cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote out
> exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem? Please
> help
March 8, 2005 1:38:55 AM

On 3/7/05 8:01 PM India Time, _george154302_ wrote:

> During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;
>
> The following file is missing or corrupted:
> C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
> There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
>
> And I also get this one
> The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
> 100
> There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
>
> cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote out
> exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem? Please
> help

post your config.sys file.

--
Rawat
Anonymous

"V S Rawat" wrote:

> On 3/7/05 8:01 PM India Time, _george154302_ wrote:
>
> > During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;
> >
> > The following file is missing or corrupted:
> > C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
> > There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
> >
> > And I also get this one
> > The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
> > 100
> > There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
> >
> > cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote out
> > exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem? Please
> > help
>
> post your config.sys file.
>
> --
> Rawat
> Line 6 says Device high=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD000/v
Line 7 says buffers=100
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:05:47 PM

Since you can't be exactly sure how the system counts lines in CONFIG.SYS,
you should really post the whole file.

Line 6 is wrong. It should be
Device high=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /v
assuming that /v is a valid option for GSCDROM (it probably is). The spaces
are critical. Also, check that the file c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS actually
exists on disk.

Line 7 appears to be OK except that 100 is far too high (and probably
invalid). Use 20 instead, eg:
Buffers=20

It's likely that you don't actually need any of these lines, but without
seeing the whole file it would be difficult to speculate on what can be
safely removed.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

> "V S Rawat" wrote:
>
>> On 3/7/05 8:01 PM India Time, _george154302_ wrote:
>>
>> > During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;
>> >
>> > The following file is missing or corrupted:
>> > C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
>> > There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
>> >
>> > And I also get this one
>> > The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
>> > 100
>> > There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
>> >
>> > cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote
>> > out
>> > exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem?
>> > Please
>> > help
>>
>> post your config.sys file.
>>
>> --
>> Rawat
>> Line 6 says Device high=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD000/v
> Line 7 says buffers=100
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:07:32 PM

The spaces are critical. That line should be:
"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> Since you can't be exactly sure how the system counts lines in CONFIG.SYS,
> you should really post the whole file.
>
> Line 6 is wrong. It should be
> Device high=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /v
> assuming that /v is a valid option for GSCDROM (it probably is). The
> spaces are critical. Also, check that the file c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS
> actually exists on disk.
>
> Line 7 appears to be OK except that 100 is far too high (and probably
> invalid). Use 20 instead, eg:
> Buffers=20
>
> It's likely that you don't actually need any of these lines, but without
> seeing the whole file it would be difficult to speculate on what can be
> safely removed.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "george154302" <george154302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> post your config.sys file.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rawat
>>> Line 6 says Device high=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD000/v
>> Line 7 says buffers=100

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:31:03 PM

On 3/8/05 2:55 AM India Time, _george154302_ wrote:

> "V S Rawat" wrote:
>

>>On 3/7/05 8:01 PM India Time, _george154302_ wrote:
>>

>>>During bootup on my windows 98 SE I get the following errors;
>>>
>>>The following file is missing or corrupted:
>>>C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
>>>There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
>>>
>>>And I also get this one
>>>The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
>>>100
>>>There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
>>>
>>>cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote out
>>>exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem? Please
>>>help
>>
>>post your config.sys file.
>>
>>--
>>Rawat
>>Line 6 says Device high=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD000/v

As jeff has stated, make devicehigh a single word in above.
Remove space between device and high.

> Line 7 says buffers=100

upper limit for bufferes is 99. change it to that value or
anything lower. A buggers of 40 works fine.

==
Rawat
March 9, 2005 2:22:34 PM

User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut and then copy the
whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you. Remember when
you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in notepad. Have a nice
day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file here.

:
: The following file is missing or corrupted:
: C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS
: There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 6
:
: And I also get this one
: The following command in your CONFIG.SYS file is incorrect:
: 100
: There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
:
: cdrom seems to work fine/ it is a DVD/cd burner. The errors are wrote out
: exactly as they appear on the screen. How do I repair this problem? Please
: help
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:10:22 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:22:34 -0700, Dan wrote:

> User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut and then copy the
> whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you. Remember when
> you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in notepad. Have a nice
> day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file here.

He doesn't have to "cut" anything, just highlight the whole thing and
select copy then paste into a post here. That way the config.sys file never
ends up empty.

Patty
March 10, 2005 4:10:16 AM

Good point! I did not consider that. Thank you.

"Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:o 9mry0jznkif$.of3no5m0dnoz.dlg@40tude.net...
: On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:22:34 -0700, Dan wrote:
:
: > User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut and then copy
the
: > whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you. Remember
when
: > you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in notepad. Have a
nice
: > day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file here.
: >
:
: He doesn't have to "cut" anything, just highlight the whole thing and
: select copy then paste into a post here. That way the config.sys file never
: ends up empty.
:
: Patty
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:58:40 AM

In technical discussions, Dan, words have very specific meanings. The
more accurate your use of correct terminology, the more likely you are
to succeed in your endeavors.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Good point! I did not consider that. Thank you.
>
> "Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:o 9mry0jznkif$.of3no5m0dnoz.dlg@40tude.net...
> : On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:22:34 -0700, Dan wrote:
> :
> : > User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut and
then copy
> the
> : > whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you.
Remember
> when
> : > you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in notepad.
Have a
> nice
> : > day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file here.
> : >
> :
> : He doesn't have to "cut" anything, just highlight the whole thing
and
> : select copy then paste into a post here. That way the config.sys
file never
> : ends up empty.
> :
> : Patty

March 10, 2005 8:31:14 PM

Thank you, Gary. I am slowly learning to use the proper terminlogy. Maybe
in three years I will have a better grasp of things. :>

: In technical discussions, Dan, words have very specific meanings. The
: more accurate your use of correct terminology, the more likely you are
: to succeed in your endeavors.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:%23ktFXiUJFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > Good point! I did not consider that. Thank you.
: >
: > "Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
: > news:o 9mry0jznkif$.of3no5m0dnoz.dlg@40tude.net...
: > : On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:22:34 -0700, Dan wrote:
: > :
: > : > User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut and
: then copy
: > the
: > : > whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you.
: Remember
: > when
: > : > you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in notepad.
: Have a
: > nice
: > : > day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file here.
: > : >
: > :
: > : He doesn't have to "cut" anything, just highlight the whole thing
: and
: > : select copy then paste into a post here. That way the config.sys
: file never
: > : ends up empty.
: > :
: > : Patty
: >
: >
:
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:19:04 AM

Here you go guys

dos=high
dos=umb
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
files=255
Devicehigh=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCDOOO /v
buffers=40
All these have the box checked in front of them and the devicehigh line are
those suppose to be O'S or zeros? This is exactly how it is written in the
config utility

"Dan" wrote:

> Thank you, Gary. I am slowly learning to use the proper terminlogy. Maybe
> in three years I will have a better grasp of things. :>

> : In technical discussions, Dan, words have very specific meanings. The
> : more accurate your use of correct terminology, the more likely you are
> : to succeed in your endeavors.
> :
> : --
> : Gary S. Terhune
> : MS MVP Shell/User
> : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:%23ktFXiUJFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : > Good point! I did not consider that. Thank you.
> : >
> : > "Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> : > news:o 9mry0jznkif$.of3no5m0dnoz.dlg@40tude.net...
> : > : On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:22:34 -0700, Dan wrote:
> : > :
> : > : > User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut and
> : then copy
> : > the
> : > : > whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you.
> : Remember
> : > when
> : > : > you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in notepad.
> : Have a
> : > nice
> : > : > day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file here.
> : > : >
> : > :
> : > : He doesn't have to "cut" anything, just highlight the whole thing
> : and
> : > : select copy then paste into a post here. That way the config.sys
> : file never
> : > : ends up empty.
> : > :
> : > : Patty
> : >
> : >
> :

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:24:54 AM

The path, c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS, contains two Ohs. The parameter,
/D:MSCD000 contains three zeros.

Note that this part of config.sys simply loads DOS drivers for the
CDROM., which are irrelevant when Windows 98 is loaded. They are usually
not even needed. That's why you haven't noticed any ill effect, even
though the command is possibly malformed.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Here you go guys
>
> dos=high
> dos=umb
> device=c:\windows\himem.sys
> device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
> files=255
> Devicehigh=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCDOOO /v
> buffers=40
> All these have the box checked in front of them and the devicehigh
line are
> those suppose to be O'S or zeros? This is exactly how it is written in
the
> config utility
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>
> > Thank you, Gary. I am slowly learning to use the proper terminlogy.
Maybe
> > in three years I will have a better grasp of things. :>
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > : In technical discussions, Dan, words have very specific meanings.
The
> > : more accurate your use of correct terminology, the more likely you
are
> > : to succeed in your endeavors.
> > :
> > : --
> > : Gary S. Terhune
> > : MS MVP Shell/User
> > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > :
> > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> > : news:%23ktFXiUJFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > : > Good point! I did not consider that. Thank you.
> > : >
> > : > "Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > : > news:o 9mry0jznkif$.of3no5m0dnoz.dlg@40tude.net...
> > : > : On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:22:34 -0700, Dan wrote:
> > : > :
> > : > : > User --- please open the config.sys in notepad.exe and cut
and
> > : then copy
> > : > the
> > : > : > whole config.sys to this post so we can further assist you.
> > : Remember
> > : > when
> > : > : > you close config.sys not to save an empty config.sys in
notepad.
> > : Have a
> > : > nice
> > : > : > day and I look forward to seeing the full cofig.sys file
here.
> > : > : >
> > : > :
> > : > : He doesn't have to "cut" anything, just highlight the whole
thing
> > : and
> > : > : select copy then paste into a post here. That way the
config.sys
> > : file never
> > : > : ends up empty.
> > : > :
> > : > : Patty
> > : >
> > : >
> > :

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:30:11 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:24:54 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>>Devicehigh=c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCDOOO /v

>The path, c:\cdrom\GSCDROM.SYS, contains two Ohs. The parameter,
>/D:MSCD000 contains three zeros.

<...>

BTW, the string "MSCD000" in /D:MSCD000 part of this line is the
conventional name; actually, it can contain _any_ symbols (1 to 8
symbols total) with _very_ few limitations of the full name: so, it
can't be the reserved name like CON etc. Then, this name has to be the
same in MSCDEX.EXE (high level CDROM driver) call in Dosstart.bat.

Besides that, as a ruler, Win98 itself does not need in the low level
CDROM driver, like GSCDROM.SYS in this case: it is using only for "pure"
DOS mode -- in interaction with MSCDEX.EXE.

Moreover: if there are no specific DOS-tasks (mostly -- DOS database
programs, where Files and Buffers quantity is critical), Config.sys is
not needed in this case at all. The same way as Autoexec.bat, I think.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz