Vonage and DSL basic

Last response: in Networking
August 29, 2004 11:07:29 PM

Anyone using Vonage on a basic or "lite" version of DSL (i.e. 128K)

More about : vonage dsl basic

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 6:59:57 AM

In message <RitYc.3242$CG3.258764@news20.bellglobal.com> "Canadian_eh!"
<I_am_Canadian_eh@Beer.com> wrote:

>Anyone using Vonage on a basic or "lite" version of DSL (i.e. 128K)

Should be fine if you set Vonage to reduce the upstream bandwidth. It
will negatively impact your sound quality slightly, but it's not
significant.

--
Peter: I read a book about this sort of thing once.
Brian: Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?

I have Vonage set to 50kbs, the medium setting, and nobody notices
they are talking on an internet phone.
September 2, 2004 12:15:11 PM

In message <947d5aea.0409012009.17f7db82@posting.google.com>
charlie@cdsdetroit.com (charlie3) wrote:

>I have Vonage set to 50kbs, the medium setting, and nobody notices
>they are talking on an internet phone.

I've had a few people ask if I'm on a cell (mostly because they're the
type of person that would call back on a landline to avoid wasting cell
minutes) when I was using lower quality, but it was never an issue.

I have plenty of upstream bandwidth, I was just trying it out for the
sake of trying it out.

--
For recreational use only.
Anonymous

DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <947d5aea.0409012009.17f7db82@posting.google.com>
> charlie@cdsdetroit.com (charlie3) wrote:
>

>>I have Vonage set to 50kbs, the medium setting, and nobody notices
>>they are talking on an internet phone.
>

> I've had a few people ask if I'm on a cell (mostly because they're the
> type of person that would call back on a landline to avoid wasting cell
> minutes) when I was using lower quality, but it was never an issue.

Vonage was great for me also sound-quality wise, most of the time, and I
noticed only very minor differences between the bandwidth settings (most
people I was speaking to noticed nothing different). My only pet peeve
was the Motorola ATA; it never did QoS right, even if I had the unit
first-in-line to my cable modem. If anything else on the network was
downloading anything of substance, the audio would get choppy, and THEN
people would start to ask if I was on a cell phone. This was on a 4Mbps
downstream/1.5Mbps upstream connection, so I doubt the broadband
connection was my problem.

I ended up switching to Packet8. The features aren't as refined and
polished, but the service is good, and their ATA operates just fine
behind my router even if I intentionally place a heavy traffic load on
the network. Sound quality is about on par with Vonage at its
low-bandwidth setting, but still useable and close enough to toll grade
IMO. Again, people I talk to don't notice a difference.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
September 2, 2004 9:09:04 PM

In message <WRHZc.2977$Pb5.1798@fe35.usenetserver.com> Isaiah Beard
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

>Vonage was great for me also sound-quality wise, most of the time, and I
>noticed only very minor differences between the bandwidth settings (most
>people I was speaking to noticed nothing different). My only pet peeve
>was the Motorola ATA; it never did QoS right, even if I had the unit
>first-in-line to my cable modem. If anything else on the network was
>downloading anything of substance, the audio would get choppy, and THEN
>people would start to ask if I was on a cell phone. This was on a 4Mbps
>downstream/1.5Mbps upstream connection, so I doubt the broadband
>connection was my problem.
>
>I ended up switching to Packet8. The features aren't as refined and
>polished, but the service is good, and their ATA operates just fine
>behind my router even if I intentionally place a heavy traffic load on
>the network. Sound quality is about on par with Vonage at its
>low-bandwidth setting, but still useable and close enough to toll grade
>IMO. Again, people I talk to don't notice a difference.

I have both my Cisco ATA and Motorola ATA behind my network firewall
(Only the WAN port of the Motorola is connected) -- I have my own QoS
which reserves approximately 100Kb of my 1024Kb for VoIP at all times,
and offers port-based QoS so that above 100Kb, outbound traffic from the
ATAs will be processed before any other traffic.

--
Some people are like Slinkies... You can't help but
smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.