version conflict manager

Background:
For reason I don't begin to comprehend my computer (windows 98FE) suffered a
complete nervous breakdown after running a thorough scan disk. (About a
year ago I had a new 40 GB hard drive installed and while I've run scan disk
numerous times this was the first time I had run a "thorough" scan disk) It
would no longer boot into windows and since it was beyond my limited
expertise I took it to be repaired. Windows was gone so the technician
using my HP recovery disc put it back to the way it had been when first
purchased. He was able to save some data and I have been slowly trying to
reinstall software, updates and other data. Whatever the problem was it
does not appear to be related to any virus. I'm running Norton antivirus
and Kerio Personal Firewall. Neither picked up on any problems prior to or
after the breakdown.

Just a week ago I legally acquired a Windows 98SE upgrade. I installed it
and things appear to be working fine although I've not had time to
thoroughly tested every program or function. Anyway, I've not run into any
major problems yet.

Question:
I've noticed when I run the Version Conflict Manager I have about 21 items
that show up as having more recent versions prior to installing Windows 98
SE than after. Many are .dll files but some are .exe and .ocx. Would it be
advisable to restore the newer versions or should I leave well enough alone?
Here are just a few examples of the items:

asycfilt.dll 2.40.4518.0 (backup) 2.40.4275.1 (current)
cabinet.dll English(United States) no version # given for current or
backup
cscript.exe 5.6.0.6626 (backup) 5.0.513.7 (current)
grpconv.exe 5.02136.1 (backup) 50.1962.1 (current)
indicll.dll English(United States) no version # given for current or backup
msconv97.dll 2003.1100.5426.0 (backup) 1998.1.27.0 (current)

I am definitely a novice so would appreciate any help or suggestions!
Please remember who you are talking to and make it plain and simple!
Thanks!

Easy choice, don't break what isn't broken. If you have no problems, leave
it alone.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"LAH" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Background:
> For reason I don't begin to comprehend my computer (windows 98FE) suffered
> complete nervous breakdown after running a thorough scan disk. (About a
> year ago I had a new 40 GB hard drive installed and while I've run scan
> disk
> numerous times this was the first time I had run a "thorough" scan disk)
> It
> would no longer boot into windows and since it was beyond my limited
> expertise I took it to be repaired. Windows was gone so the technician
> using my HP recovery disc put it back to the way it had been when first
> purchased. He was able to save some data and I have been slowly trying to
> reinstall software, updates and other data. Whatever the problem was it
> does not appear to be related to any virus. I'm running Norton antivirus
> and Kerio Personal Firewall. Neither picked up on any problems prior to
> or
> after the breakdown.
>
> Just a week ago I legally acquired a Windows 98SE upgrade. I installed
> it
> and things appear to be working fine although I've not had time to
> thoroughly tested every program or function. Anyway, I've not run into
> any
> major problems yet.
>
> Question:
> I've noticed when I run the Version Conflict Manager I have about 21 items
> that show up as having more recent versions prior to installing Windows 98
> SE than after. Many are .dll files but some are .exe and .ocx. Would it
> be
> advisable to restore the newer versions or should I leave well enough
> alone?
> Here are just a few examples of the items:
>
> asycfilt.dll 2.40.4518.0 (backup) 2.40.4275.1 (current)
> cabinet.dll English(United States) no version # given for current or
> backup
> cscript.exe 5.6.0.6626 (backup) 5.0.513.7 (current)
> grpconv.exe 5.02136.1 (backup) 50.1962.1 (current)
> indicll.dll English(United States) no version # given for current or
> backup
> msconv97.dll 2003.1100.5426.0 (backup) 1998.1.27.0 (current)
>
> I am definitely a novice so would appreciate any help or suggestions!
> Please remember who you are talking to and make it plain and simple!
> Thanks!

In Win98SE, IE6 SP1, fully updated I am...

| asycfilt.dll 2.40.4518.0 (backup) 2.40.4275.1 (current)

ASYCFILT.DLL
Desc: None.
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Ver: 2.40.4518
Mod: Monday, September 03, 2001 02:19:16 AM

| cabinet.dll English(United States) no version # given for current
or
| backup

cabinet.dll
Desc: Cabinet File API
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Ver: 1.00.603.0
Mod: Friday, February 05, 1999 02:57:24 PM

| cscript.exe 5.6.0.6626 (backup) 5.0.513.7 (current)

cscript.exe
Desc: Microsoft (r) Console Based Script Host
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
Ver: 5.6.0.8515
Mod: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 01:15:20 PM

| grpconv.exe 5.02136.1 (backup) 50.1962.1 (current)

GRPCONV.EXE
Desc: Windows Progman Group Converter
Loc: C:\WINDOWS
Ver: 5.00.2136.1
Mod: Friday, October 20, 2000

| indicll.dll English(United States) no version # given for current or
backup

I have no "indicll.dll".

| msconv97.dll 2003.1100.5426.0 (backup) 1998.1.27.0 (current)

MSCONV97.DLL
Desc: Microsoft Conversion Library
Loc: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV
Ver: 2003.1100.5426
Mod: Thursday, June 26, 2003 10:19:08 PM

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
Search "Version Conflict Manager"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase;
comes up with four...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186157&Product=w98
Description of the Version Conflict Manager Tool in Windows 98
(186157) - This article describes the Version Conflict Manager
tool(Vcmui.exe) included in Windows 98. You can use the Version Conflict
Manager tool to troubleshoot problems that may occur after you install a
program. NOTE: The Windows 98 Help topic "Version...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184585&Product=w98
Files Not Backed Up Using the Version Conflict Manager Tool
(184585) - When you use the Version Conflict Manager tool to restore the
newer versions of files that were overwritten by Windows 98 Setup, the
files are properly restored, but the original Windows 98 files may be
lost.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188307&Product=w98
List of Documentation Errors in Windows 98 Resource Kit
(188307) - This article lists known documentation errors in the
Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit and the Microsoft Windows 98 Resource
Kit Book Online located in the Tools\Reskit\Help folder on the Windows
98 CD-ROM. The following known documentation errors are...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184075&Product=w98
Description of Microsoft System Information (Msinfo32.exe) Tool
(184075) - Windows 98 includes a tool called Microsoft System
Information (Msinfo32.exe). This tool can be used to gather information
about your computer, to diagnose issues with your computer, or to access
other tools that are included with Windows 98. This...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,