Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

Thank you for muddling through my very inexperienced questions and
ideas. I was reading about creating partitions in a ''all about
windows' sort of book and it makes it sound a bit risky for a novice
like me. My hard drive size is about 13.5gb and there is about 5gb
free at present but I could fairly easily free up more by uninstalling
one of the many programs I never use. As I mentioned I use windows
98se and the processor speed is about 850mhz. From what I've read I
personally would like to create a partition so that win98se runs on one
side and xp on the other but I don't want either to know about each
other. So do I install the partition creating program and hope for the
best and then install xp on the side I want? I have never even used a
pc with partitions so I haven't a clue. Thanks again.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
6 answers Last reply

    With only 13.5 GB, you have a small problem. It's not *too* small to do
    what you want to do, but it's really close to it. Understand that each
    partition, particularly OS partitions, need to have a certain amount of
    free space in order to function well. 15%, *including* swap file and a
    normal compliment of temporary files, is minimum for WinXP to be able to
    defrag properly. I don't like to let any OS partition to get to less
    than 25% free space, with a minimum of 15% for non-OS partitions. I'm
    not saying they won't work with less, but then it becomes a situation in
    which you have to be constantly remembering the limit, so as not to
    cause problems with virtual memory and other issues. So, let's say you
    configure them thusly:

    So, you have a 13.5GB drive. How much free space do you have? What are
    your primary pursuits? Games, Office-like apps (word processor,
    spreadsheets, etc.) What about images, music, multimedia files and apps
    for them?

    My XP partition occupies 4.4 GB (that's Used space.) But I don't store
    personal or work files there, I have a separate 4GB partition for TEMP
    and Temporary Internet Files (plus other things that are of a temporary
    nature. I also have yet another partition that I use for major Suites
    (Office 2003, Visual Studio, etc.) The only major suite of apps that is
    on C:\ is from Adobe, occupying about 1.25 GB. So, assuming you're a
    true minimalist, I'd guess that somewhere around 3.5 GB would be used
    space on your new XP partition. Add sufficient free space and you're
    looking at a partition around 5 to 6 GB. I'd probably go with 6, because
    the percentage free space starts to become less important than the
    actual amount when you get to low numbers--space reserved for TEMP and
    Swap file, etc., can only be so small, regardless of whether it's 1% of
    the partition or 50%. IOW, the tighter things get, free space will be a
    higher percentage of total space.

    Same goes for Win98, so that while you *might* be able to get along with
    only 2GB partition, a 4 GB partition would be more reasonable. That
    means that before we even add file storage--apps you download, music,
    etc.--there's only 3.5 GB remaining, which translates to about 3 GB of
    usable space.

    So, look at your system now. How much used space? Now, empty the Recycle
    Bin and TEMP, and delete Temporary Internet Files. How much Used space
    now? Then, use Windows Explorer to determine the size of the Windows and
    Program Files directories. Also find out how large your My Documents
    folder is. Then review the remainder of the folders on C:\ to see if
    they're program files or personal storage. Add their sizes to the
    appropriate column.

    Still think you have enough room to comfortably spit off almost half the
    drive for Windows XP?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

    > Thank you for muddling through my very inexperienced questions and
    > ideas. I was reading about creating partitions in a ''all about
    > windows' sort of book and it makes it sound a bit risky for a novice
    > like me. My hard drive size is about 13.5gb and there is about 5gb
    > free at present but I could fairly easily free up more by uninstalling
    > one of the many programs I never use. As I mentioned I use windows
    > 98se and the processor speed is about 850mhz. From what I've read I
    > personally would like to create a partition so that win98se runs on
    one
    > side and xp on the other but I don't want either to know about each
    > other. So do I install the partition creating program and hope for the
    > best and then install xp on the side I want? I have never even used a
    > pc with partitions so I haven't a clue. Thanks again.
    >

    > Stanislaw Flatto Wrote:
    > > Dan wrote:
    > > -
    > > Are there
    > > any solutions in the industry for people who want the convenience of
    > > Fat32
    > > regarding 9x and getting down to the core level and the security of
    > > NTFS?-
    > >
    > > Dan, what happened to you?
    > > Convenience means getting home tired after day of work, switching on
    > > the
    > > box to check e-mails and maybe playing few rounds of Patience.
    > > Configuring security on ANY file system is "never-ending" job and on
    > > single user boxen it usually ends with the Aussie call: "It will be
    > > OK,
    > > mate!" hoping that it is true.
    > > Lets face it, when beying both user and administrator on your own
    box
    > > you play preferences which are NOT permissible on multiuser system.
    > > So it is a vicious circle.
    > >
    > > Have fun
    > >
    > > Stanislaw.
    >

    > --
    > PSYCHOPIXIE

    PSYCHOPIXIE <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com> wrote in

    > Thank you for muddling through my very inexperienced questions and
    > ideas. I was reading about creating partitions in a ''all about
    > windows' sort of book and it makes it sound a bit risky for a novice
    > like me. My hard drive size is about 13.5gb and there is about 5gb
    > free at present but I could fairly easily free up more by uninstalling
    > one of the many programs I never use. As I mentioned I use windows
    > 98se and the processor speed is about 850mhz. From what I've read I
    > personally would like to create a partition so that win98se runs on one
    > side and xp on the other but I don't want either to know about each
    > other. So do I install the partition creating program and hope for the
    > best and then install xp on the side I want? I have never even used a
    > pc with partitions so I haven't a clue. Thanks again.

    If your time is worth anything, you'd be better off to buy another hard
    drive. New ones aren't that high anymore and you might pick up a used 20-
    30 gig drive on eBay for little or nothing.
    Just hook it up as slave and install XP on that. If you do a standard
    installation with the XP CD, it will give you the option to install it on
    the second partiton (second drive in this case). After you get it
    installed, you'll have the option to boot into XP or 98 when you boot up.
    Your Windows 98 files will be visible from XP, but your XP drive will not
    be visible from Windows 98. Unless you choose to format the second drive
    in Fat 32 instead of NTFS (not recommended).
    If you try to partiton your present drive (which can be dangerous) you
    will severely limit the amount of free disk space you have for both
    systems.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    [snip accumulated knowledge]

    To the OP.

    For "window shopping" your disk IS big enough. When you get to "no more
    space on disk" announcement, read again what Gary wrote.
    But then you will be in much more comfortably possition to decide which
    of the two OS's is the one you want to keep.
    And then you look at possible solutions.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw.

    The question is, is there enough room on the disk, and how should the
    disk be arranged? As of yet, there is insufficient data upon which to
    advise on that subject. Based upon what you know now, how would *you*
    repartition the disk?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > The question is, is there enough room on the disk, and how should the
    > disk be arranged? As of yet, there is insufficient data upon which to
    > advise on that subject. Based upon what you know now, how would *you*
    > repartition the disk?

    This IS *me*!
    From the total 13.5G.
    a) 3G Win 98SE.
    b) 4G my working OS.
    c) 4G for window shopping.
    d) the rest unassigned for future addition to "starving" install.

    The OP is in a transitional state, trying to taste different version of
    what is on the market. To push him in the least difficulty way by
    investing in hardware before he knows IF he wants the way the software
    behaves is maybe good for marketing. No connection to his querry.

    But you have a valid point, we all(?) learn from past mistakes, so after
    some painful experiences we get to a point where we feel comfortable.
    So we pass our views to people who _sometimes_ even listen.
    But "There is more than one way to skin a cat".

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    I'm sorry, but I don't see how those numbers reflect any reality based
    upon Psychopixie's system, much less how to get from where Psychopixie's
    system is now to where it has one 98 OS and one XP partition. Nor does
    it include any mechanism for sharing files between the two while hiding
    each from the other.

    --

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > The question is, is there enough room on the disk, and how should
    the
    > > disk be arranged? As of yet, there is insufficient data upon which
    > > advise on that subject. Based upon what you know now, how would
    *you*
    > > repartition the disk?
    > >

    > This IS *me*!
    > From the total 13.5G.
    > a) 3G Win 98SE.
    > b) 4G my working OS.
    > c) 4G for window shopping.
    > d) the rest unassigned for future addition to "starving" install.
    >
    > The OP is in a transitional state, trying to taste different version
    of
    > what is on the market. To push him in the least difficulty way by
    > investing in hardware before he knows IF he wants the way the software
    > behaves is maybe good for marketing. No connection to his querry.
    >
    > But you have a valid point, we all(?) learn from past mistakes, so
    after
    > some painful experiences we get to a point where we feel comfortable.
    > So we pass our views to people who _sometimes_ even listen.
    > But "There is more than one way to skin a cat".
    >
    > Have fun
    >
    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

Windows