Printing problems

My daughter has Win 98SE, AMD duron processor, 119 mg ram, 10 gig hard drive.
The computer is two years old and up to now the Epson Stylus C40 inkjet
printer has worked perfectly. Suddenly it wont print and the Status monitor
says a communication error has occured. I know this appears when the printer
is switched off, but it is switched on. It will do a test print when the
computer is switched off, but will not communicate with the computer when it
is on. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times but to no
avail. I tested it on my own computer running XP and it works fine. Could
there be a problem with the USB port, as the cable works fine? Ive checked in
Device manager and everything is working properly. help?
7 answers Last reply
More about printing problems

    Try another printer on the suspect machine. If it doesn't work use a
    different cable. That should help eliminate/prove either as cause.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My daughter has Win 98SE, AMD duron processor, 119 mg ram, 10 gig hard
    > drive.
    > The computer is two years old and up to now the Epson Stylus C40 inkjet
    > printer has worked perfectly. Suddenly it wont print and the Status
    > monitor
    > says a communication error has occured. I know this appears when the
    > printer
    > is switched off, but it is switched on. It will do a test print when the
    > computer is switched off, but will not communicate with the computer when
    > it
    > is on. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times but to no
    > avail. I tested it on my own computer running XP and it works fine.
    > Could
    > there be a problem with the USB port, as the cable works fine? Ive checked
    > in
    > Device manager and everything is working properly. help?

    Thanks, I tried connecting my epson stylus 870 with my own usb cable to my
    daughters computer, and received the same error message. In device manager it
    states that all usb ports and usb printer ports are working properly. I tried
    to update the drivers from microsoft and epson but with no luck, they say
    not necessary to update. Does this mean that the internal usb ports are
    damaged?

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Try another printer on the suspect machine. If it doesn't work use a
    > different cable. That should help eliminate/prove either as cause.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My daughter has Win 98SE, AMD duron processor, 119 mg ram, 10 gig hard
    > > drive.
    > > The computer is two years old and up to now the Epson Stylus C40 inkjet
    > > printer has worked perfectly. Suddenly it wont print and the Status
    > > monitor
    > > says a communication error has occured. I know this appears when the
    > > printer
    > > is switched off, but it is switched on. It will do a test print when the
    > > computer is switched off, but will not communicate with the computer when
    > > it
    > > is on. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times but to no
    > > avail. I tested it on my own computer running XP and it works fine.
    > > Could
    > > there be a problem with the USB port, as the cable works fine? Ive checked
    > > in
    > > Device manager and everything is working properly. help?

    Might as well show us the printer...

    "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Components, Printing".
    Use the Edit menu to post it. Here is mine...

    Default printer: = Compaq IJ300, LPT1:
    Using print manager spooling? = Yes
    Unidriver (UNIDRV.DLL) = Not Installed
    Gen drv (GENDRV.DLL) = Not Installed
    Compaq IJ300 = wwcij3, 1.0.4.1, 6/14/99 14:32, 284416 bytes, LPT1:

    Does anything untoward show up at "ports" or "USB" there? Then, post
    those.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Thanks, I tried connecting my epson stylus 870 with my own usb cable
    to my
    | daughters computer, and received the same error message. In device
    manager it
    | states that all usb ports and usb printer ports are working properly.
    I tried
    | to update the drivers from microsoft and epson but with no luck, they
    say
    | not necessary to update. Does this mean that the internal usb ports
    are
    | damaged?
    |
    | "Brian A." wrote:
    |
    | > Try another printer on the suspect machine. If it doesn't work use a
    | > different cable. That should help eliminate/prove either as cause.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Brian A.
    | >
    | > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >

    | > "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > My daughter has Win 98SE, AMD duron processor, 119 mg ram, 10 gig
    hard
    | > > drive.
    | > > The computer is two years old and up to now the Epson Stylus C40
    inkjet
    | > > printer has worked perfectly. Suddenly it wont print and the
    Status
    | > > monitor
    | > > says a communication error has occured. I know this appears when
    the
    | > > printer
    | > > is switched off, but it is switched on. It will do a test print
    when the
    | > > computer is switched off, but will not communicate with the
    computer when
    | > > it
    | > > is on. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times but
    to no
    | > > avail. I tested it on my own computer running XP and it works
    fine.
    | > > Could
    | > > there be a problem with the USB port, as the cable works fine? Ive
    checked
    | > > in
    | > > Device manager and everything is working properly. help?

    "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I tried connecting my epson stylus 870 with my own usb cable to my
    > daughters computer, and received the same error message. In device manager
    > it
    > states that all usb ports and usb printer ports are working properly. I
    > tried
    > to update the drivers from microsoft and epson but with no luck, they say
    > not necessary to update. Does this mean that the internal usb ports are
    > damaged?

    Not necessarily yet.
    Check the BIOS to make sure the USB is enabled, if enabled:

    Try Epsons troubleshooter:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/erscripts/start_er.jsp

    If all shows to be good, then uninstall anything related to the printer in
    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    Remove all printers in the Printer folder.
    Boot to Safe Mode.
    In Device Manager remove any/all USB devices listed.
    Reboot.
    When Windows detects the device, select to choose from a specified location.
    Use the Browse button to point to the printer disk or dl'd files.
    Reinstall using the disk provided with the printer or dl'd software/firmware
    per the manufacturers instructions.

    --

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, I tried connecting my epson stylus 870 with my own usb cable to my
    > > daughters computer, and received the same error message. In device manager
    > > it
    > > states that all usb ports and usb printer ports are working properly. I
    > > tried
    > > to update the drivers from microsoft and epson but with no luck, they say
    > > not necessary to update. Does this mean that the internal usb ports are
    > > damaged?
    >
    > Not necessarily yet.
    > Check the BIOS to make sure the USB is enabled, if enabled:
    >
    > Try Epsons troubleshooter:
    > http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/erscripts/start_er.jsp
    >
    > If all shows to be good, then uninstall anything related to the printer in
    > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    > Remove all printers in the Printer folder.
    > Boot to Safe Mode.
    > In Device Manager remove any/all USB devices listed.
    > Reboot.
    > When Windows detects the device, select to choose from a specified location.
    > Use the Browse button to point to the printer disk or dl'd files.
    > Reinstall using the disk provided with the printer or dl'd software/firmware
    > per the manufacturers instructions.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > I have just tried to do all the things you suggested, but still the printer will not print from windows. I checked the bios and usb is enabled. It must be a hardware problem.

    Did you make sure to reinstall the USB drivers? Have you tried updating the USB
    drivers?
    Had you tried Epson's tshooter? If so, what is it's conclusion?

    --

    > "Brian A." wrote:
    >
    >> "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, I tried connecting my epson stylus 870 with my own usb cable to my
    >> > daughters computer, and received the same error message. In device manager
    >> > it
    >> > states that all usb ports and usb printer ports are working properly. I
    >> > tried
    >> > to update the drivers from microsoft and epson but with no luck, they say
    >> > not necessary to update. Does this mean that the internal usb ports are
    >> > damaged?
    >>
    >> Not necessarily yet.
    >> Check the BIOS to make sure the USB is enabled, if enabled:
    >>
    >> Try Epsons troubleshooter:
    >> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/erscripts/start_er.jsp
    >>
    >> If all shows to be good, then uninstall anything related to the printer in
    >> Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    >> Remove all printers in the Printer folder.
    >> Boot to Safe Mode.
    >> In Device Manager remove any/all USB devices listed.
    >> Reboot.
    >> When Windows detects the device, select to choose from a specified location.
    >> Use the Browse button to point to the printer disk or dl'd files.
    >> Reinstall using the disk provided with the printer or dl'd software/firmware
    >> per the manufacturers instructions.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A.
    >>
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> I have just tried to do all the things you suggested, but still the printer
    >> will not print from windows. I checked the bios and usb is enabled. It
    >> must be a hardware problem.

    Thanks for all your help. I ran msconfig win.ini tab Printer, then
    deselected the epusbi:. as someone suggested from an epson site. Rebooted
    then from printer properties and selected the epusbi:(epson stylus C40) port.
    The other epusbi: port was not listed then which was causing trouble,
    printer monitor now showed that the printer was connected and no
    communication error, but still would not print. So I downloaded an updated
    driver from Epson, uninstalled the printer, and reinstalled with new driver.
    Now it is working?

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Did you make sure to reinstall the USB drivers? Have you tried updating the USB
    > drivers?
    > Had you tried Epson's tshooter? If so, what is it's conclusion?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Brian A." wrote:
    > >
    > >> "daljan" <daljan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Not necessarily yet.
    > >> Check the BIOS to make sure the USB is enabled, if enabled:
    > >>
    > >> Try Epsons troubleshooter:
    > >> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/erscripts/start_er.jsp
    > >>
    > >> If all shows to be good, then uninstall anything related to the printer in
    > >> Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
    > >> Remove all printers in the Printer folder.
    > >> Boot to Safe Mode.
    > >> In Device Manager remove any/all USB devices listed.
    > >> Reboot.
    > >> When Windows detects the device, select to choose from a specified location.
    > >> Use the Browse button to point to the printer disk or dl'd files.
    > >> Reinstall using the disk provided with the printer or dl'd software/firmware
    > >> per the manufacturers instructions.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Brian A.
    > >>
    > >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>
    > >> I have just tried to do all the things you suggested, but still the printer
    > >> will not print from windows. I checked the bios and usb is enabled. It
    > >> must be a hardware problem.

Computers Windows