Sign in with
Your question

Patterned Lockup Issue

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2006 9:37:04 PM

I built this computer when the Pentium Ds came out for video editing. And this issue started pretty early on. It will lockup for 20 seconds and then resume for 2-3 seconds before Locking up again.

I have reinstalled windows but the problem continues. It requires a reboot to fix and sometime it will persist until the system is shut down for a while.

The system consists of:

Pentium D 820
Asus P5WD2 MOBO
2x 512mb Corsair XMS 5400C4
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB
ABIT RX700PRO-256PCIE Radeon X700PRO 256MB
Item #: N82E16814123148
Allied AL-A400ATX ATX 400W Power Supply

Anyone see anything in my hardware that could cause this? I have no idea where to go from here. I installed a second fan incase it was an overheating issue.

Hopefully someone can help me with this, its been killing me since august.

Thanks

More about : patterned lockup issue

April 20, 2006 9:41:36 PM

Quote:
I built this computer when the Pentium Ds came out for video editing. And this issue started pretty early on. It will lockup for 20 seconds and then resume for 2-3 seconds before Locking up again.

I have reinstalled windows but the problem continues. It requires a reboot to fix and sometime it will persist until the system is shut down for a while.

The system consists of:

Pentium D 820
Asus P5WD2 MOBO
2x 512mb Corsair XMS 5400C4
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB
ABIT RX700PRO-256PCIE Radeon X700PRO 256MB
Item #: N82E16814123148
Allied AL-A400ATX ATX 400W Power Supply

Anyone see anything in my hardware that could cause this? I have no idea where to go from here. I installed a second fan incase it was an overheating issue.

Hopefully someone can help me with this, its been killing me since august.

Thanks

Try the latest BIOS and Chipset Drivers, as well as run Check Disk on the HDD to ensure there isn't a File System error (Reinstalling Windows won't fix the problem if it's a FS error). It might be CPU or PSU, the 820 is known for some problems, see if you can try a different PSU. I highly doubt this is a GPU or RAM issue, and probably not a Mobo issue apart from the Drivers.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 20, 2006 9:53:18 PM

Sorry, I should have stated that I am running the latest firmware and drivers. I have been religious about that hoping that would eventually fix the problem.

The 250 gig HD is partitioned and one partition has XP and the other has XP 64bit. Both experience the issue.

There are also 2 other HDs in it. A 100gb and an 80gb both via IDE.
Related resources
April 20, 2006 9:57:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have stated that I am running the latest firmware and drivers. I have been religious about that hoping that would eventually fix the problem.

The 250 gig HD is partitioned and one partition has XP and the other has XP 64bit. Both experience the issue.

There are also 2 other HDs in it. A 100gb and an 80gb both via IDE.

Okay, tell me what you're doing when these lockups occur, such as only during specific moments such as running applications, gaming, just browsing the net, or just spontaneous even if the computer is idle?

April 20, 2006 10:04:50 PM

Quote:
just spontaneous even if the computer is idle?

Thats the one. My rig runs 24-7, it will lockup when I am not there. It is just random, there is not pattern that I can tell.

I do need to install the temp sensor program and check the temps again. But I would thing that if it was temp related when encoding it would lockup every time.
April 20, 2006 10:11:41 PM

Quote:
just spontaneous even if the computer is idle?

Thats the one. My rig runs 24-7, it will lockup when I am not there. It is just random, there is not pattern that I can tell.

I do need to install the temp sensor program and check the temps again. But I would thing that if it was temp related when encoding it would lockup every time.

Try a different PSU if possible, that may cause the lockups. Also try and run ASUS PC Probe and show me the RAIL's (+12v, +5v, etc.).

a b B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2006 11:17:29 AM

Try it with all drives (DVD/CDRW/hd) except one with OS on it disconnected (pwr and ribbons)...jsut to rule out a potential conflict, where a DVD/CD drive access attempt freezes entire system)

What are your cpu core temps under idle/load conditions? (You can run two ea. Prime95's for 30 minutes to find full load cpu core temps) (Did you use generic $2/tube thermal paste, or Intel's supplied thermal compound? Generic is often insufficient, use Intel's thermal compound, or arctic silver, etc..)

Might also try a PCI graphics card, just to rule out an intermittent gpu issue, if you can borrow one...

Might also try memtest86, or live version of Linux to see if same freezes occur...

Have a bigger, better PSU you can borrow to slave in?
!